PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this the answer to the "ineffective" charge?

SonofThunder
01-08-2012, 11:53 AM
We have all heard this one: "IN your many years in Congress, you haven't managed to get anything passed, so how are you going to get anything done?"

Simple Answer:

"This question shows a lack of understanding of the Constitution. The President has executive power, for very good reason, to reign in the government. The first thing I would do is end the wars, saving trillions. The second thing I would do is end the mountains of regulations generated by the various departments under executive control, keeping only those explicitly required by congress. On day 2, I would talk to the American people and say 'See, I meant it. Now help me do the rest.' and they would pressure their representatives to go along with my Plan to Restore America."

Powerful, simple answer that schools the rest of those chumps on the Constitution. Someone please make this happen.

Guitarzan
01-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Best answer imo is to invoke Barry Goldwater:

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution ... or have failed their purpose ... or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should be attacked for neglecting my constituents' 'interests,' I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty, and in that cause I am doing the very best I can."

Sublyminal
01-08-2012, 11:59 AM
We have all heard this one: "IN your many years in Congress, you haven't managed to get anything passed, so how are you going to get anything done?"

Simple Answer:

"This question shows a lack of understanding of the Constitution. The President has executive power, for very good reason, to reign in the government. The first thing I would do is end the wars, saving trillions. The second thing I would do is end the mountains of regulations generated by the various departments under executive control, keeping only those explicitly required by congress. On day 2, I would talk to the American people and say 'See, I meant it. Now help me do the rest.' and they would pressure their representatives to go along with my Plan to Restore America."

Powerful, simple answer that schools the rest of those chumps on the Constitution. Someone please make this happen.

This is so full of WIN. +rep.

Butchie
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution ... or have failed their purpose ... or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should be attacked for neglecting my constituents' 'interests,' I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty, and in that cause I am doing the very best I can."

I vote for this, especially the part where he talks about I'm not running to make new laws but get rid of old one's, people would love that.

ShaneEnochs
01-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Simple Answer:

I totally read that in Ron's voice.

Cleaner44
01-08-2012, 12:21 PM

+rep

I am not looking for more laws and politicians that excel in working with Marxists to create more bad laws.

SonofThunder
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM

I think that is the most correct answer, but not the best. You have to remember the audience.

Charlie_P
01-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I think he should say the problem is not him being ineffective as he is consistent in acting in the best interest of the American people. The real problem lies with rest of congress. Congress has a 90% disapproval rating among the American people. If they voted the way Ron Paul does congress would have a 90% approval rating.

rs-fl
01-08-2012, 12:59 PM
RP should be proud of his legislative record. Most or all Americans would support his TSA reform legislation and many others if they new about it. Here are some links to his legislation:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billsearch.xpd?sponsor=400311

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legislation_sponsored_by_Ron_Paul

The only thing he has to explain is that he is unwilling to trade a vote for his bill for a vote for their big spending/unconstitutional crap bill.

SonofThunder
01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Again I say these are all valid points... but you have to remember that we're not trying to get Ron Paul supporters to switch over and vote for Ron Paul, we're trying to get GOP voters who hardly ever see Dr. Paul and who have probably never read anything written by Dr. Paul or by Tom Woods or any of the other like minded people.