PDA

View Full Version : Is this Ron Paul's strategy?

NEPatriot
01-08-2012, 03:48 AM
I think in going after Santorum and Newt rather than Romney, Ron Paul revealed his strategy which most of us probably already assumed going in.

Ron Paul is going to leave Romney the front runner and simply make gradual strides against him by cutting down the other contenders. He's favored in a lot of the states after Florida and he has the money and organization to continue. He'll likely finish 2nd in New Hampshire, perhaps a 3rd in South Carolina unless his ad campaign can bring him higher, he'll move past Florida, at which point the others will be dropping, and then he'll surge ahead of Romney as the Republican Primary goes West. There are a lot of states that are a lock for him afterwards. Texas, Idaho and California come to mind for the big ones. Once we move past Florida and it's Ron Paul versus Romney, Romney is toast.

Does this sound right? Do we need to continue gradually climbing against Romney, getting what we can, staying alive and staying relevant, until after Florida? Does this sound right? The fact that he didn't go after Romney and instead sunk Newt and Santorum leads me to believe he's counting on a showdown with Romney after he clears the field which won't be until after South Carolina and Florida.

Is this right?

Let's get to work, people!

NEPatriot
01-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Ah, didn't see this thread or I would of just put this in there as a reply.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?347824-Debate-mystery.-Ron-slams-Newt-and-Santo-but-doesn-t-touch-Romney.

maxoutco
01-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Just as Doug Wead said earlier in a Fox News interview. Ron Paul has to prove to the people that he is the true conservative and the Anti-Romney candidate. 75% do not want Romney as their candidate.

Rudeman
01-08-2012, 04:36 AM
Wead made it very clear what the strategy was and Benton has been phrasing the GOP race as Paul vs Romney. It's clear they want to be the anti-Romney and that there's plenty of room for growth by being that candidate. Once they solidify that, then they go after Romney, but not before because then it could end up giving life to one of the other dying campaigns (Newt or Perry).

The campaign knows the GOP is very reluctant to get behind Romney (as evidenced by all the surges) the electorate do not want him so it'll be hard for him to lock up the nomination via momentum the way McCain did. Plus the early states aren't winner take all so finishing 2nd or 3rd isn't really a bad thing.

normal_rc
01-08-2012, 05:35 AM
There's an unofficial temporary alliance between Mitt Romney & Ron Paul.

They're essentially working together to push out the other candidates, until it's simply Mitt Romney vs Ron Paul.

They both fear the massive evangelical christian block rallying behind one candidate like Newt / Santorum / Rick Perry. If that happened, that candidate would probably win. Historically, the evangelical christian block has been the kingmaker in the GOP nomination process.

So whenever Newt / Santorum / Rick Perry start surging, both Mitt Romney & Ron Paul pound that guy back into the dirt.

The strategy is to beat those guys down, have those guys drop out, and make the race be Mitt Romney vs Ron Paul. And at that point, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul will start attacking each other, in an all out fight to the finish.

normal_rc
01-10-2012, 03:27 PM
There's an unofficial temporary alliance between Mitt Romney & Ron Paul.

They're essentially working together to push out the other candidates, until it's simply Mitt Romney vs Ron Paul.

They both fear the massive evangelical christian block rallying behind one candidate like Newt / Santorum / Rick Perry. If that happened, that candidate would probably win. Historically, the evangelical christian block has been the kingmaker in the GOP nomination process.

So whenever Newt / Santorum / Rick Perry start surging, both Mitt Romney & Ron Paul pound that guy back into the dirt.

The strategy is to beat those guys down, have those guys drop out, and make the race be Mitt Romney vs Ron Paul. And at that point, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul will start attacking each other, in an all out fight to the finish.

Further evidence of what I've been saying.. there's an unofficial temporary alliance between Mitt Romney & Ron Paul.

============
Ron Paul Defends Romney, Lashes Out at His Critics

Jan 10, 2012 3:18pm

In an exclusive interview outside a Manchester polling place, Ron Paul lashed out at fellow Republicans for making unfair and ignorant attacks on Mitt Romney’s business record.

“I think they’re wrong. I think they’re totally misunderstanding the way the market works,” Paul told me. “They are either just demogoging or they don’t have the vaguest idea how the market works.”

Paul also came to Romney’s defense for saying “I like to be able to fire people.”

“I think they’re unfairly attacking him on that issue because he never really literally said that,” Paul said. “They’ve taken him way out of context. … He wants to fire companies.”

In Paul’s view, Romney is right to say that he created jobs by restructuring companies.

“I think they’re way overboard on saying that he wants to fire people, he doesn’t care, Paul said. “You save companies, you save jobs when you reorganize companies that are going to go bankrupt. And they don’t understand that.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/01/abc-exclusive-ron-paul-defends-romney-lashes-out-at-his-critics/

Erazmus
01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Seems to be working.