PDA

View Full Version : War on Drugs: Question about Ron Paul and Regulations

mike6623
01-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Okay, I have, over the past year or so really been liking everything Ron Paul has said, stands for, etc. I also am sickened by the media coverage and blatant bashing of Ron Paul. I do have a question though, I know Ron Paul is against over regulation and whatnot, but is there any regulation that, you or Ron Paul are for?

Example, the prescription drug monitoring systems. I know that in Florida, for years they had no tracking system to see who was prescribing what medications to who, therefore allowing for addicts to go to 10 different doctors and get oxycontin, xanex, etc. Now, as a recovering heroin addict for 7 years, I agree with this. Doctors in Florida prescribe 10 times more oxycodone (oxycontin) pills than every other state in the country combined. So, is this type of regulation agreed upon by Ron Paul and his supporters? I mean, this sounds okay to me. There is no reason someone should be able to just walk into a doctors office, get 90 oxycontins prescribed, then walk to 5 others and do the same, no?

Just wondering the stance on this. This is life or death stuff, and the rate at which people are dying from presription drug overdoses are staggering. I was just wondering what the thoughts on this subject were.

Thanks!

goliberty78
01-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Okay, I have, over the past year or so really been liking everything Ron Paul has said, stands for, etc. I also am sickened by the media coverage and blatant bashing of Ron Paul. I do have a question though, I know Ron Paul is against over regulation and whatnot, but is there any regulation that, you or Ron Paul are for?

Example, the prescription drug monitoring systems. I know that in Florida, for years they had no tracking system to see who was prescribing what medications to who, therefore allowing for addicts to go to 10 different doctors and get oxycontin, xanex, etc. Now, as a recovering heroin addict for 7 years, I agree with this. Doctors in Florida prescribe 10 times more oxycodone (oxycontin) pills than every other state in the country combined. So, is this type of regulation agreed upon by Ron Paul and his supporters? I mean, this sounds okay to me. There is no reason someone should be able to just walk into a doctors office, get 90 oxycontins prescribed, then walk to 5 others and do the same, no?

Just wondering the stance on this. This is life or death stuff, and the rate at which people are dying from presription drug overdoses are staggering. I was just wondering what the thoughts on this subject were.

Thanks!

How about letting the states handle that regulation...not the federal government?

mike6623
01-07-2012, 01:09 PM
I believe it is run by the states, but grants are given by government. As I said, I wasn't too familiar with the whole thing, just asking questions. This is from the site with Q&A about it.

"The National All Schedules Prescription Electronic Reporting Act (NASPER), enacted in 2005, created a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services grant program for states to implement or enhance prescription drug monitoring programs. In FY 2009 and FY 2010 NASPER received $2 million to support NASPER grants in 13 states. "

Gravik
01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Ron Paul do away with the whole Controlled Substances Act? Seems to me that is one of the only ways to actually end the war on drugs.