PDA

View Full Version : The Long Haul: 95% of Delegates unallocated after Florida.

hueylong
01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
The pundits like to try to rush everyone to a resolution in the nomination. Some of the new people and people who do not closely follow politics have a similar inclination.

You frequently hear "Romney will have it locked up after South Carolina", or "it's all over after Florida".

The fact is, at the end of January, after Florida, the delegate selection process for only 5% of the delegates allocated will be in motion.

The states that follow Florida represent fully 95% of the total delegate count. So, please realize that while we must do our absolute best in every state -- that this will likely be a fight all the way to the convention in August.

The biggest prize in the nominating contest, California isn't until June.

So every time you feel too high or too low, remember: Ron Paul, for the Long Haul.

tbone717
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
For the first time in my memory this is really set up to be a marathon. The key for the grassroots and the campaign is to define this as a two-man race. Red state conservative vs blue state liberal. Small government vs big government. We need to keep driving that point home. Ignore the other candidates, they are only a distraction in these early contests as none of them have the money, organization and popularity to stay in for the long haul. Granted Santorum is a little fly in the ointment for now, and will need to be taken down in SC, but other than that we just need to frame out the narrative and present our candidate as the only conservative left in the race. This election is not about Iran - it's about the economy. Stay focused and stay on message.

eleganz
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Southern California grassroots meeting up tomorrow to formulate winning strategy to claim victory.

all 172 delegates :D

PhineasFinn
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Southern California grassroots meeting up tomorrow to formulate winning strategy to claim victory.

Awesome man. California would be a huge win.

Simple
01-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Its a whole new game with proportional delegates in the early states. That's the biggest flaw in the unelectable argument: this is all new ground, never before did the late states have such a stake in choosing the nominee.

libertythor
01-06-2012, 08:10 PM

Is there any hope of pulling a coup at the county conventions in California like what nearly happened in MO?

hueylong
01-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Bimp

eleganz
01-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Is there any hope of pulling a coup at the county conventions in California like what nearly happened in MO?

Please elaborate...thanks!

bbartlog
01-06-2012, 08:21 PM
The media will try to declare game over if Romney wins SC. I wonder about the scalability of phone from home. One of the nice things about the later primaries (and of course caucuses) is that the voter turnout is normally very low (much lower even than the 15% or so for IA)... if we can identify and turn out enough people we can do well.

libertythor
01-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Please elaborate...thanks!

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message522616/pg1

At many of Saturday's caucuses, the Paul contingents also won approval for some of their man's key positions, including resolutions for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, and against the federal Patriot Act and warrantless wiretaps.

But the most politically explosive resolution called for repealing the Missouri Republican Party requirement that all of the state's 58 GOP presidential delegates back the victor in the Feb. 5 primary: U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., now the presumptive presidential nominee.

That time the primary was binding, and these were just the regular local Republican conventions. With just double the number of people attending, they would have pulled it off.

The same thing nearly occurred in Nevada until the state convention was abruptly adjourned and the delegates selected behind closed doors.

Ron Paul's support this time around is much greater, and there is a chance of success upon pulling such maneuvers.

tbone717
01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
The media will try to declare game over if Romney wins SC. I wonder about the scalability of phone from home. One of the nice things about the later primaries (and of course caucuses) is that the voter turnout is normally very low (much lower even than the 15% or so for IA)... if we can identify and turn out enough people we can do well.

We should be able to garner lists of voters who participated in the last primary. Even still though it will take a herculean effort to reach those people. PA for example had over 800,000 turn out for a primary contest that didn't mean anything.

That being said we can't keep taking second to Romney, especially in a traditionally red state like SC. We do have to start winning these things at some point, the sooner the better.

eleganz
01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message522616/pg1

That time the primary was binding, and these were just the regular local Republican conventions. With just double the number of people attending, they would have pulled it off.

The same thing nearly occurred in Nevada until the state convention was abruptly adjourned and the delegates selected behind closed doors.

Ron Paul's support this time around is much greater, and there is a chance of success upon pulling such maneuvers.

I think this is or has already happened here in LA (I don't think on the same scale as in MO). We got RP'ers co-leading the Los Angeles Republican Liberty Caucus.

This looks to be from 2008 though, I wonder how much progress they made in four years!

libertythor
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
I think this is or has already happened here in LA. We got RP'ers leading the Los Angeles Republican Liberty Caucus

I am referring to taking over and placing RLC and Ron Paul supporters in charge of the party apparatus itself. The Meg Whitmans and Richard Riordans still seem to be in charge of the CA GOP.

The success of such a move would be more probable in LA than in San Diego just to the north of me because San Diego's population is clearly dependent on military-industrial complex jobs, and at least 70% of the party there seems to be neocon by conviction because of it.

ninepointfive
01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
This is why the delegates are what matter. All other activism is useful, and we must spread that message in all opportunities.

Here are a couple links to point people in the right direction
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RonPaulDelegates2012
Delegate Training Page: http://ronpauldelegates.wordpress.com/

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308711_304249866259814_260179997333468_1213198_819 838288_n.jpg

eleganz
01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I am referring to taking over and placing RLC and Ron Paul supporters in charge of the party apparatus itself. The Meg Whitmans and Richard Riordans still seem to be in charge of the CA GOP.

The success of such a move would be more probable in LA than in San Diego just to the north of me because San Diego's population is clearly dependent on military-industrial complex jobs, and at least 70% of the party there seems to be neocon by conviction because of it.

I will hear more about this tomorrow when I see some of the RLC leaders. Keep in touch!