PDA

View Full Version : Here's What I BELIEVE The Campaign Is Doing....

trey4sports
01-06-2012, 05:56 PM
First step is to make it a two man race, which might take several weeks/primaries (my best guess is that after Santorum's push dies) in order to make it a Romney VS. Paul battle, and at that point the campaign will go scorched earth on Romney.

Bailouts, abortion, flip flops, and everything you can think of. The key in the strategy is the fact that Ron is the last man standing and he is the only option for the GOP to choose.

Hopefully it becomes a two man race rather quickly because if the field is crowded for a long time then Romney could cruise to victory with a split field for a long time.

pacelli
01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Perhaps but in the end, it is all about the delegates. Ron's on good footing so far for delegates. He has exactly the same as Romney.

I am reluctant to give the campaign so much credit about a secret plan-- because as you know we speculated upon this several years ago and we were proven wrong by the campaign's inability to enable a brokered convention.

I agree with your statement that, "hopefully it becomes a two man race rather quickly".

This is critical for a Ron Paul nomination win.

KramerDSP
01-06-2012, 06:01 PM
First step is to make it a two man race, which might take several weeks/primaries (my best guess is that after Santorum's push dies) in order to make it a Romney VS. Paul battle, and at that point the campaign will go scorched earth on Romney.

Bailouts, abortion, flip flops, and everything you can think of. The key in the strategy is the fact that Ron is the last man standing and he is the only option for the GOP to choose.

Hopefully it becomes a two man race rather quickly because if the field is crowded for a long time then Romney could cruise to victory with a split field for a long time.

And this is why I believe Romney is making promises to the other candidates, (cough cough, Perry) to stay in the race. I really wish Perry was gone. Huntsman and Frothy would have been destroyed after NH, leaving it a Ron Paul-Grinch-Romney battle.

ZanZibar
01-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Perhaps but in the end, it is all about the delegates. Ron's on good footing so far for delegates. He has exactly the same as Romney.

I am reluctant to give the campaign so much credit about a secret plan-- because as you know we speculated upon this several years ago and we were proven wrong by the campaign's inability to enable a brokered convention.

I agree with your statement that, "hopefully it becomes a two man race rather quickly".

This is critical for a Ron Paul nomination win.It's not a secret plan. It is what makes sense and what they are trying to do.

pacelli
01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
It's not a secret plan. It is what makes sense and what they are trying to do.

I hope, with every single dollar in my pocket, that you are correct. It is my dream.

Agorism
01-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Campaign won't have the funds for that. Super tuesday will be a media battle.

trey4sports
01-06-2012, 06:10 PM
to be clear, i have no inside info. this is just what i have surmised from watching how the campaign has handled certain things.

trey4sports
01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Campaign won't have the funds for that. Super tuesday will be a media battle.

no plan is perfect. They are just doing the best they can with what they're given.

thoughtomator
01-06-2012, 06:12 PM
it already is a two-man race due to ballot access issues, the media just has yet to pick up on it

you need one of two things to get on all the ballots... a lot of money, or a lot of grassroots support

Romney has the first, Paul has the second (and doesn't do bad on the first)

None of the other campaigns has either

sirachman
01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
removed

isler45
01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Is it possible we're not attacking Romney in hopes of a possible VP spot if he does win? I am sure he would like our supporters on board. Who knows what the national % will be for Paul in a few months.

trey4sports
01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
They have funds second only to Romney. If that isn't enough, we will simply give them some more. Just no spending it on giant balloons this time.. ;)

3rd actually. Perry has more than us. Although, my guess is his stash has dried up.

trey4sports
01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Is it possible we're not attacking Romney in hopes of a possible VP spot if he does win? I am sure he would like our supporters on board. Who knows what the national % will be for Paul in a few months.

no. I don't even think Ron would consider it.

bluesc
01-06-2012, 06:30 PM
3rd actually. Perry has more than us. Although, my guess is his stash has dried up.

Perry has $3M on hand. We may have more.

Chester Copperpot
01-06-2012, 06:33 PM

I think youre exactly right.

Chester Copperpot
01-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Perry has $3M on hand. We may have more.

he only has $3 million on hand??

wow.. what a drop since his quick $17 million he collected in the end of the 3rd quarter

Badger Paul
01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Here's a theory. It's crazy but I'll say it anyway just to throw it out there.

If there's a quid pro quo for not attacking Romney, it's that Romney doesn't contest Paul all that hard in the caucus states, basically gathering delegates only through big wins in states like Florida. He allows Paul to come to the convention with delegates and a hand at writing the platform, gives him a prime time speaking spot and for Rand as well all to placate him as not to run third party. In return Paul gives a qualified endorsement of Romney and keeps his forces in the GOP fold for Rand's future prospects.

bluesc
01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
he only has $3 million on hand??

wow.. what a drop since his quick $17 million he collected in the end of the 3rd quarter

He was airing ads nationally for a week. He spent millions in Iowa. He's done.

Moebedda
01-06-2012, 06:38 PM

I was actually thinking this same thing about an hour ago.

hueylong
01-06-2012, 06:40 PM
There is no secret plan. The campaign has a sound strategy rooted in sound political fundamentals. They will take on Romney when the time is right.

eleganz
01-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Don't forget, for ever dollar RP throws at Romney, he'll throw $2-5 back.

Just in case we can't keep up with Romney and fall behind a little, we're getting California ready to be a RP stronghold. :D

go here for details on tomorrows meeting in Los Angeles

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?347045-*MEETING-THIS-SATURDAY*-How-to-WIN-CALIFORNIA-for-Ron-Paul-LA-Liberty-HQ/page2

Agorism
01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
No negative Romney ads means we forfeit NH.

Here are the 538 odds.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

http://polipundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/GO-primary-odds-1-6.png

Here are the Intrade NH odds.

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/?eventId=90930

Mitt Romney to win the 2012 New Hampshire Primary

Event: New Hampshire Primary (Republican)
96.0%
CHANCE Predict

Ron Paul to win the 2012 New Hampshire Primary

1.7%
CHANCE Predict

Jon Huntsman to win the 2012 New Hampshire Primary

1.1%
CHANCE Predict

Rick Santorum to win the 2012 New Hampshire Primary

0.8%
CHANCE Predict

Newt Gingrich to win the 2012 New Hampshire Primary

0.5%
CHANCE Predict

Rick Perry to win the 2012 New Hampshire Primary

0.1%
CHANCE

jersdream
01-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Actually Romney leads by 11 because he has a lot of super delegate support, we have none thus far out of those who are pledged.

Martin Silenus
01-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Actually Romney leads by 11 because he has a lot of super delegate support, we have none thus far out of those who are pledged.

The Republicans don't have superdelegates.

Diurdi
01-06-2012, 06:48 PM

If there's a quid pro quo for not attacking Romney I agree this far. It's classic game theory, a bit like the "peace treaty" between Hitler and Stalin just before WWII. Inevitable confrontation, but it's in both's interest to stay from eachother's back.

Agorism
01-06-2012, 06:50 PM
You know Santorum was on the Levin show a couple days ago claiming that the Romney campaign is now sharing ALL opposition research freely with other campaigns in order to help them attack each other more easily and effectively.

Maybe Romney is sharing with our ad maker whose wife works for Romney as well so this may have helped our Newt and Santorum ads.

bluesc
01-06-2012, 06:50 PM
The Republicans don't have superdelegates.

Yes they do. Romney has some, Perry has 2, and Santorum has 1.

eleganz
01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes they do. Romney has some, Perry has 2, and Santorum has 1.

Please explain super delegates, I was reading up on this earlier doing some research and was confused.

Agorism
01-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Santorum talks about how Romney is feeding other campaigns information for attack ads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKFO9EG_DJw&feature=youtu.be

iamse7en
01-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I think you'll be disappointed if you expect them to go scorched earth on Romney. Ron and Rand have gone out of their way to say Mitt is more preferable to the others. This is an uphill battle where we don't have the upper hand. It's tough to know what to do. I trust Ron and the campaign though. With them to the end.

tbone717
01-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Romney is practically a favorite son candidate in NH. It is nearly impossible to beat him there since Paul did not win IA and get the bounce coming out of there. A "victory" in NH would be keeping Romney under 40%, beating the 21% he got in IA, and keeping a fair amount of distance between 2nd and 3rd. Ideally if it went 38, 25, 14 we would be in excellent shape.

trey4sports
01-06-2012, 07:37 PM

there is no chance of winning NH, and that's exactly why they're not attacking. They don't want to blow their material too early. If they would have won Iowa and NH was in play then they could have at least debated attacking Romney but without winning Iowa there is no reason to attack him at this time. Wait until the field has been narrowed.

acptulsa
01-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Um, has it occurred to anyone that Romney won't get enough first round delegate votes to clinch the nomination as long as his ceiling holds? Which means we just keep the Fox Fools playing 'musical chairs' with their candidates, running like headless chickens from one to another, and then if we don't secure enough first round votes to win the nomination nobody does. At all. Because if the Fox Fools don't give one of their clowns enough delegates to secure a first round vote, no one gets it. Unless, as I say, it's us.

So, the last thing we need is for Romney's milquetoast supporters to realize at this stage that he has no chance at all and jump on another bandwagon, because they could push that bandwagon into a first round win. We're better off with them right where they are, thank you. We want a three-way tie.

Hello brokered convention. Get your butts in a position to vote for the national convention delegates from your state.

harikaried
01-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Um, has it occurred to anyone that Romney won't get enough first round delegate votes to clinch the nomination as long as his ceiling holds? I believe this year is the first time the GOP has proportional delegates leading up to Super Tuesday. And even including Super Tuesday, more than half of the delegates are after that date.

Doing some rough math..

~1000 up to super tuesday (1/3 - 3/6)
~1000 after super tuesday before june (3/10 - 5/22)
~300 after june (6/5 - )

Lavitz
01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
there is no chance of winning NH, and that's exactly why they're not attacking. They don't want to blow their material too early. If they would have won Iowa and NH was in play then they could have at least debated attacking Romney but without winning Iowa there is no reason to attack him at this time. Wait until the field has been narrowed.

This is pretty much what I realized today. Without a win in Iowa, the campaign knows they don't have the momentum to eek out a win in any of the other primary states. I believe the strategy is now to play for second place in every primary through Florida (and possibly Nevada if they still don't think they can pull off a win). Thus, it benefits them more by attacking the other potential anti-Romneys and suppressing their vote counts, even if it means not peeling away Romney supporters.

As long as Ron continues getting second behind Romney and preventing anyone else from gaining momentum and money, they'll eventually be forced out of the race. If we're successful, Huntsman will drop after NH, Perry after SC, and either Gingrich or Santorum after Florida. I don't think both of them will drop because I'm sure neither is willing to concede the title of sole Anti-Romney to Ron, so at least one of them (possibly both) will stay in until Super Tuesday.

So I'm not sure whether or not the campaign ever plans on going "scorched earth" on Romney, but it's pretty clear that they're just biding their time, allowing him to win more delegates than us in the early states in the hopes that we can overtake him further down the road if we can become the anti-Romney.

ryanmkeisling
01-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I was actually thinking this same thing about an hour ago.
Do you really think Ron Paul is going to accept a VP slot with Romney? He would need to have a sea change in political ideology for that to even be logical. Also, I will bet there aren't many Ron Paul supporters who want:

NO ONE BUT RON PAUL!!!

smithtg
01-06-2012, 08:48 PM
a few more debates with Frothy in full Ego mode and with Perry and Romney's ceiling will fall. Somehow there will be a scandal. Ron will be there to pick up the pieces but will have to fight newt and frother head to head with a four man race on super tuesday. With Romneys fall and post super tuesday its still going to be anyone's race

Yes we need a two man race but realistically i only see huntsman and perry possibly dropping before super tuesday.

Newt may run out of money fairly soon too and we may see him go. Frothman doesnt have any but has probably gotten some (through backroom deals of course) to spend for awhile

rocky
01-06-2012, 09:45 PM
this "plan" is doomed to fail. Here's why:

1. An early win over Romney must happen soon if the real cash is to kick in. A few more 2nd place finishes and the funding will dry up.

2. The best to establish Ron as "the anti-Romney" candidate is to actually attack Romney! Now before it's too late.

3. Newt and Perry can always be resurrected as useful 2nd place finishers in any given state. Dont assume all the neo-cons are on the verge of dropping out, and dont underestimate the power of FOX to "surge" anyone at will.

bluesc
01-06-2012, 09:46 PM

1. An early win over Romney must happen soon if the real cash is to kick in. A few more 2nd place finishes and the funding will dry up.

2. The best to establish Ron as "the anti-Romney" candidate is to actually attack Romney! Now before it's too late.

3. Newt and Perry can always be resurrected as useful 2nd place finishers in any given state. Dont assume all the neo-cons are on the verge of dropping out, and dont underestimate the power of FOX to "surge" anyone at will.

If we prove that we can win primaries over Romney, this strategy can work. Time will tell.

Original_Intent
01-06-2012, 11:05 PM
I've been saying this for a long time, it isn't a secret plan it was a strategy that the campaign has been quite open about for a long time.

jacmicwag
01-06-2012, 11:15 PM

If there's a quid pro quo for not attacking Romney, it's that Romney doesn't contest Paul all that hard in the caucus states, basically gathering delegates only through big wins in states like Florida. He allows Paul to come to the convention with delegates and a hand at writing the platform, gives him a prime time speaking spot and for Rand as well all to placate him as not to run third party. In return Paul gives a qualified endorsement of Romney and keeps his forces in the GOP fold for Rand's future prospects.

Great minds think alike. :)

nicname
01-06-2012, 11:48 PM
It isn't that hard. You wait until it is just Ron and Romney and then you go blow for blow. Obviously the best strategy, especially since most Romney voters aren't necessarily Romney "supporters."

It is the right strategy, and playing out quite well.

The only serious hangup would be other inferior candidates refusing to drop out and gobbling up needed votes.

I have a lot of faith in Ron destroying Romney through debates, ads, etc. in a two man race.

Boss
01-07-2012, 12:17 AM
It isn't that hard. You wait until it is just Ron and Romney and then you go blow for blow. Obviously the best strategy, especially since most Romney voters aren't necessarily Romney "supporters."

It is the right strategy, and playing out quite well.

The only serious hangup would be other inferior candidates refusing to drop out and gobbling up needed votes.

I have a lot of faith in Ron destroying Romney through debates, ads, etc. in a two man race.

and on the flip side

has romney made many attacks against RP?

DRFilms
01-07-2012, 12:21 AM
How about we win it for Ron by explaining how his foreign policy is better and how the other candidates foreign policies are dangerous? That alone would make it an easy win for Dr Paul.

nicname
01-07-2012, 01:47 AM
How about we win it for Ron by explaining how his foreign policy is better and how the other candidates foreign policies are dangerous? That alone would make it an easy win for Dr Paul.

cant really do that until it is one on one IMHO

LiveForHonortune
01-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Why doesn't the campaign read this forum?

LibertasPraesidium
01-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Oh I am quite positive the campaign reads this forum and laughs at this kind of strategery.

The real deal is always been about voter turn out, you turnout in higher numbers where others dont expect people to have a solidified base and you win the whole thing. Romney isn't focusing on small states. Ron is focusing on getting enough momentum into super tuesday that his voters and his grassroots backs him up in states across the nation. This strong showing will allow us to get enough delegates up the chain into the RNC in florida, and we can battle it out there. After a few rounds of voting at the RNC where if a candidate doesn't get the support needed forfeits all delegates and the pool of candidates shrinks by one until there are only two. Both speak and then a vote is taken. Whoever wins has the nomination. That is what this is about, stop trying to figure this stuff out and figure out your state party rules on primary/caucus to see how to maximize delegates each level. This is how business is done in the Republican party, on the way we get to provide a few resolutions to be voted on at the RNC that become Party Platform. What stronger platform is there but Ron Paul's, what stronger Platform against Obama is there than Ron Paul. When it comes down to Ron Paul Versus Obama, Consistency and voter turnout is what is going to win Dr. Paul the Presidency. Right now it is all about becoming or nominating Ron Paul delegates up each chain on the way talking with others because most delegates are not bound until later on. I started reading about the rules and how things play out and because of the rule change this is going to be a long battle for the grassroots, but the harder we fight and the more of us fight, the better Ron Paul will ultimately do. We have to get out there and make this thing happen, friends and family can help. I know more about this but won't post any more.
Message me if you want more information and where to get it. This is my personal assumption based upon ease of use of funds vs grassroots momentum/energy and party rules.

Base_Disclosure
01-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Right there with you, LibertasPraesidium. I'm in NV, I'm going to wait around after the caucus to try to be a delegate. In fact, I'm not leaving until I am one!

It's also clear Ron Paul is taking down the other candidates: first, Gingrich, now on to Santorum (the new ad).

He's got to thin the field. When they are gone, he becomes the 'anti-Romney' and can go on full attack. Makes perfect sense to me.

qh4dotcom
01-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Do you really think Ron Paul is going to accept a VP slot with Romney? He would need to have a sea change in political ideology for that to even be logical. Also, I will bet there aren't many Ron Paul supporters who want:

NO ONE BUT RON PAUL!!!

It's not that far-fetched. If it's for the best interest of this country for him to be VP, I'm sure he'll do it. Endorsing Romney is also not that far-fetched considering he was willing to endorse all Texas Republican incumbents no matter how much pro-war, pro-bailouts, etc. they were.

http://www.dailypaul.com/121785/ron-paul-promises-to-support-texas-incumbents

I know, I know...its a tough choice...principles or the best interests of this country. I think country comes first.

and hey, you never know Romney might die in office and then our dream of President Paul finally comes true.

Taco John
01-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Ron Paul talks about the plan to win clearly here:
http://youtu.be/JOnuGlXlX48

He's basically using the same road map that Obama used. Win the caucus states, win the delegates, get the message out.

tbone717
01-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Actually, foreign policy is of little concern to voters based on polling data (7% in the Iowa PPP Poll for example). Foreign policy has only been brought up in this election so often because it is used to attack Paul given that his positions are in sharp contrast to the others. The preferable thing for the campaign to do is answer any foreign policy questions definitively, show strength in the answer, and segue the answer into a discussion of the economy (which is the number one issue)

tbone717
01-07-2012, 07:32 AM
As long as Ron continues getting second behind Romney and preventing anyone else from gaining momentum and money, they'll eventually be forced out of the race. If we're successful, Huntsman will drop after NH, Perry after SC, and either Gingrich or Santorum after Florida. I don't think both of them will drop because I'm sure neither is willing to concede the title of sole Anti-Romney to Ron, so at least one of them (possibly both) will stay in until Super Tuesday..

Keep in mind that it is not so much of an issue of wanting to stay in the race as being able to stay in the race. The NY Times reported back in 2003 that an average day of campaigning costs around $100,000, and that was nearly ten years ago. So when the money runs out (and it does if they do not have a continuous source of donors) then the campaign is done.

Badger for Paul
01-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Only time will tell if the strategy works, but 4th or 5th place finishes in SC and Florida won't get it done. RP is going to have several weeks in Feb to make his last stand, and if he doesn't end up first or second in all of the Feb caucuses before super Tuesday, then he is done. No way to tell if the voters who would have supported non-Romney candidates will go to Paul or Romney once their preferred candidate drops out. My suspicion is that aversion to Paul is greater than aversion to Romney and that Romney will actually get more than Paul, leading to Romney running away with the election. Therefore, I think letting the others hang around longer and attack Romney likely benefits Pau.
I hope it doesn't happen that way, but that is my suspicion. I think that Grinch and Frothy and Perry all take more votes away from Romney than Paul.
I think that if Paul does not dominate the first week and a half of Feb (Nevada, Maine, Colorado, and Minnesota), then it is over.
Romney would never select Paul as his VP. Maybe a Rubio or someone popular with the minority or latino vote, but certainly not Paul.
My 2 cents.

acptulsa
01-07-2012, 07:49 AM

We sure are getting a lot of 'doomed to fail' lately. Seems almost as centrally scripted as 'quixotic'.

The cash has been rolling in for four years. It seems a certain group of Americans has made up their minds to buy some influence in their own government, and they all know Ron Paul is the one candidate who won't make them bid against the corporations. You think that's going to dry up now, even though it has been coming for four years? Really?

Or maybe it's completely sufficient to refrain from sounding like Romney. When was the last time you heard Ron Paul tell us that God wants us to kick Iran's ass? Or, for that matter, when was the last time you heard Ron Paul flip flop?

Perry, maybe. But how are they going to 'surge' Cain? Once a laughing stock, always a laughing stock. Besides, where's the percentage, Einstein? We want them to split the establishment pablum vote.

acptulsa
01-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Endorsing Romney is also not that far-fetched considering he was willing to endorse all Texas Republican incumbents no matter how much pro-war, pro-bailouts, etc. they were.

Excuse me?

We have to put up with the MSM spreading lies and disinformation about the man. We don't put up with it here on his forum.

acptulsa
01-07-2012, 07:57 AM
I think that Grinch and Frothy and Perry all take more votes away from Romney than Paul.

Pretty obvious.

I think that if Paul does not dominate the first week and a half of Feb (Nevada, Maine, Colorado, and Minnesota), then it is over.

It isn't over until someone gets enough votes at the Republican National Convention to be named the nominee. Period. Bottom line.

So, carry on about your momentum rhetoric theories all you want. If you're not at the convention, you're worthless to us.

I am just amazed at the number of people in this thread who can't seem to grasp the obvious. This isn't a typical, conventional campaign. The typical, conventional campaign uses corporate money and corporate media support to shove some slickster down the public's throats with slickness. When you are doing this, conventional wisdom works like a charm.

Conventional 'wisdom' don't mean much here, folks. Some of it, yes. Much of it, no.

tbone717
01-07-2012, 08:00 AM
My suspicion is that aversion to Paul is greater than aversion to Romney and that Romney will actually get more than Paul, leading to Romney running away with the election.

I don't see this as being the case, and both the grassroots and campaign can control this narrative. You need to remember that the majority of primary voters spend a mere fraction of time on the daily news cycle of the election. They get their news in passing. They do not watch the political round table shows, they do not watch the debates, the do not listen to talk radio.

They watch sports, they go to church, they listen to top 40 radio, the watch American Idol, etc. So they really get little bits and pieces of the daily story. I'd bet my house that if we went to SC right now and polled 1000 random people that 90% of them would have no idea about the Huntsman video issue, and I wouldn't be shocked if a sizable percentage of them didn't know who Huntsman was.

Anyway, the way we frame the narrative and should be doing so in everything we say is that this is a two-man race. A red state conservative vs a blue state liberal. Limited government vs big government. The people vs the establishment. Change vs the status quo. Just keep driving that point out there, and the masses will begin to pick up on it. When the narrative is frames as such, the conservative will always win.

Badger for Paul
01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
To play Devil's advocate then, if all of the other candidates drop out soon, do you realistically think the Romney will not have enough delegates to secure the nomination??
It may not happen until April or maybe even May, but you will not get a brokered convention if the other candidates drop out soon. I just don't think RP can beat Romney head to head in closed GOP primaries. In an open primary he might be able to but there aren't enough of them in states that would be more anti-Romney.

And to clarify, when I say it is over if Paul doesn't win some of the early Feb caucuses, I mean that Paul's chance to win the nomination outright are gone. His chance to make a deal at the convention will continue until the end.

And if Romney can use all of his money to attack Paul and no one else, the propaganda war will be won by him, whether fairly or not.

Badger for Paul
01-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Although I would love to someone eventually start hammering home how Romney is a bankster and gets his money from the Squid. I think that is the point that needs to be hammered home.

acptulsa
01-07-2012, 08:16 AM
To play Devil's advocate then...

Sure. Why stop now? You've already got Romney 'running away with the election', a thing the devil would love but which a majority of Republicans seem to dread and abhor.

...if all of the other candidates drop out soon, do you realistically think the Romney will not have enough delegates to secure the nomination??

First, all the other candidates have no intention of dropping out soon, and it would look mighty damned suspicious if they did.

Second, the 'anti-Romney' vote is a real thing, and if Paul is the only alternative to Romney it would be interesting to see what percentage of the antiRomneys get over their love of war and slick suits, and what percentage get over their notion that they should listen to anything Faux says at all. It would be interesting to see, but we never will, because all the other candidates will not be dropping out soon. Might as well be asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

It may not happen until April or maybe even May, but you will not get a brokered convention if the other candidates drop out soon.

May is not soon, and there could be enough delegates bound to vote for a sufficient variety of candidates by then to get a brokered convention. And if we stack the hall with delegates, candidates dropping out merely means delegates--our delegates--becoming unbound sooner rather than later.

I just don't think RP can beat Romney head to head in closed GOP primaries. In an open primary he might be able to but there aren't enough of them in states that would be more anti-Romney.

Second is good enough. Hell, the field is split enough that third is good enough. Because all the other candidates aren't going to drop out soon.

And to clarify, when I say it is over if Paul doesn't win some of the early Feb caucuses, I mean that Paul's chance to win the nomination outright are gone. His chance to make a deal at the convention will continue until the end.

If we pack the hall, who needs to make a deal?

And if Romney can use all of his money to attack Paul and no one else, the propaganda war will be won by him, whether fairly or not.

His money gives him a better loudspeaker. But we are more voices. And we make more sense, too.

Badger for Paul
01-07-2012, 08:32 AM
And the "Badger for Paul is a troll" accusations come in 3. . .2. . . 1. . . .

Don't get overconfident though, acptulsa, you've been around here long enough to remember NH during last go around where we were very confident and, in a sense, were embarrassed when the NH results came in. Campaign is better this time. Grassroots is probably larger in number and more efficient in their work. I hope it's enough.

acptulsa
01-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Don't get overconfident though, acptulsa, you've been around here long enough to remember NH during last go around where we were very confident and, in a sense, were embarrassed when the NH results came in. Campaign is better this time. Grassroots is probably larger in number and more efficient in their work. I hope it's enough.

Oh, it isn't. We also have to pack that hall. Make no mistake. We've got to dot every i and cross every t or we're sunk. Make no mistake.

But I won't sit here and have someone tell me it isn't possible. I see a lot of differences this round. A lot. And they all play in our favor. All they do is make it a very close thing. But, you know, if we do dot and cross and work our asses off, close is good enough.

Meanwhile, the time to go for Romney's throat is, simply put, not yet. So far, all but the 'slick suits conquer all (including principle)' crowd have somewhere else to go. When they do have nowhere else to go, Romney is fair game. Be ready.

trey4sports
01-09-2012, 10:02 AM
bump.

archangel689
01-09-2012, 10:05 AM

I agree completely. And that's exactly why the media keeps propping up dead men.

IF we can pull it off, Ron will have been very well smeared to hell and back, any perceived "dirty laundry" he might've had will have already been beat to death. However when Ron goes "scorched earth" on Romney, it will be later in the game and we'll enjoy a stronger reaction caused by the FRESH stench from romney's hamper.

This is one reason why Obama won and Clinton didn't in my understanding. Obama's Laundry was out in the open early on

trey4sports
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM
bump

UK4Paul
01-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the bump, trey4sports

I've just read through the whole thread, and it's interesting what a bit of hindsight can give you.

Has anything much changed, from the OP?

hueylong
01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Jeezus Agorism. Why so negative? Super Tuesday is a full 6 weeks away. We are raising a lot of money and spending it wisely. Our donor base is expanding steadily and virtually none of those people are maxed out.

If we're in the hunt, Dr. Paul will have the funds he needs to compete.