PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul VP..... for Mitt?

G8orballboy
01-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I was just having a long political conversation with a coworker who is a diehard Romney supporter. We get along well and he knows he can never change my mind and vice versa. He brought up an interesting wish of his. He hopes to god that Romney is smart and picks Rand as his VP. He sees this as the best way for him to win us over and ultimately win in a general. I sort of agree with his concept because without something drastic like that... I don't see any other candidate getting our vote and I really see no way for Obama not to win. What are your guy's thoughts? Would you stomach voting for Mitt in the general if Rand was his VP? Would Rand even accept? (I have my doubts)

I told myself no one but Paul and I aint budging, but with Rand being a mere "incident" away from being potus if he were VP... well... it is intriguing.

Thoughts?

eleganz
01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Focus on the campaign.

Your co-worker is a moron for supporting Romneycorp. there is so much evidence that blatantly points out all of his 'special interests'.

Muttley
01-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Never going to happen. Your time would have been better spent slamming your wenis in a door.

tremendoustie
01-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't vote for Mitt as prez no matter who he picked as vp -- and I'd lose quite a bit of respect for rand if he were to accept (though the big reservation I have about Rand is his apparent support for "sanctions" i.e. killing innocent civilians).

For Rand or even Mitt, however, if they started espousing a principled pro-liberty message, they could gain my support.

G8orballboy
01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Its just a hypothetical for discussion...

acptulsa
Um, before we get to the rest of the 'what ifs', I just have two quick questions. One, how are you going to get close enough to Romney with a gun at the convention to force him to choose Rand against his will? and two, do you think that will really make enough of a difference when Romney's corporate sponsorship not only cuts him off, but unleashes the media hounds of hell on him?

I mean, PlasticMan doesn't stand a snowball's chance in the general election without this, and since this would cause him to lose his media teflon, I don't think he'd stand a snowball's chance with this.

bluesc
Certainly possible. I think Ron wants it.

Diurdi
01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
VP has no power.

bluesc
01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Um, before we get to the rest of the 'what ifs', I just have two quick questions. One, how are you going to get close enough to Romney with a gun at the convention to force him to choose Rand against his will? and two, do you think that will really make enough of a difference when Romney's corporate sponsorship not only cuts him off, but unleashes the media hounds of hell on him?

Ron is going to pick up a lot of delegates. Romney wants the nomination, he wants Paulites, he wants independents, and he wants Ron campaigning for him.

He also wants Florida, so he will most likely push for Rubio and let Ron influence his flatform at the convention.

All of this is of course if Ron doesn't win the nomination.

Krugerrand
01-06-2012, 12:09 PM
you can read lots of opinion on the subject here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?347102-Did-RP-and-Romney-make-a-deal-to-be-on-the-same-ticket
or many of the other similar threads.

But ... If Mitt and Rand want to start a People With Two Vowels in Their Lasst Name For Ron Paul group ... and if Mitt wants to be the President of that group ... I'd be okay with Rand as the VP of the group.

affa
01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I know you're just testing the waters here, so tell your friends - NO ONE BUT PAUL.

We won't even accept Ron Paul as Vice President, let alone his son. We will not accept Romney as president. Nor Gingrich. Nor Huntsman. Nor Santorum. Nor Perry. It's Ron Paul as President, with his choice as Vice President, or not at all.

Get it? That's the only way it goes down. Ron Paul has spent decades showing us how one man can stand up against DC and not compromise his principles. We will not compromise ours.

Philhelm
01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
VP has no power.

Exactly. It's the worst position possible for a liberty candidate. Rand is much better off in the Senate. Of course, there's also the one tiny issue of...

NO ONE BUT PAUL

trey4sports
dont think i could.

Krugerrand
Ron is going to pick up a lot of delegates. Romney wants the nomination, he wants Paulites, he wants independents, and he wants Ron campaigning for him.

He also wants Florida, so he will most likely push for Rubio and let Ron influence his flatform at the convention.

All of this is of course if Ron doesn't win the nomination.

Its also moot since anybody but Ron Paul on top of the GOP ticket means Obama wins re-election.

CaptUSA
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Ron may have to choose Mitt for VP, but it ain't hapenning the other way around.

Why would we let them take Rand out of the Senate? Just doesn't make sense.

Kevin Smyth
Why not Ron Paul as Romney's VP? You might say that's compromising but it would prove to everyone in America that our voting bloc and our issues are so strong that we'll be a lasting force in American politics for decades to come.

bluesc
Its also moot since anybody but Ron Paul on top of the GOP ticket means Obama wins re-election.

Not with Rand at the bottom of the ticket. The race would actually be competitive.

bluesc
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Why not Ron Paul as Romney's VP? You might say that's compromising but it would prove to everyone in America that our voting bloc and our issues are so strong that we'll be a lasting force in American politics for decades to come.

Rand is more acceptable.

JackieDan
I see no point why he should be his VP. How can RAND support Mitt's views on health care and mandates? It wont work. Remember, if Mitt Romney wins the general election and the economy starts to go into depression. History will point to how Libertarians and Conservatives economic views destroyed the world.

For god sake, don't even think of it!
Flip-Flop Mitt.

Kevin Smyth

Not really, there are Dems who would vote for Romney. Romney is more appealing to Dems than someone like Gingrich or Santorum.

trey4sports
01-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I see no point why he should be his VP. How can RAND support Mitt's views on health care and mandates? It wont work. Remember, if Mitt Romney wins the general election and the economy starts to go into depression. History will point to how Libertarians and Conservatives economic views destroyed the world.

For god sake, don't even think of it!
Flip-Flop Mitt.

I tend to agree with this. Let Romney and the big-gov't GOP crowd die (politically, of course) and we will continue building a newer, better, GOP. From the death of the big-gov GOP establishment out of its ashes will rise Rand Paul and the rest of the libertarian movement.

Krugerrand
01-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Not with Rand at the bottom of the ticket. The race would actually be competitive.

I still think Obama wins with Rand at the bottom of the ticket. The GOP does not like Mitt ... there will be no enthusiasm to vote for him.

trey4sports
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Not really, there are Dems who would vote for Romney. Romney is more appealing to Dems than someone like Gingrich or Santorum.

Romney will get obliterated in the general. Dem's will stick with their man, and a good portion of the GOP will stay home. Indies are a toss up, but without a clear contrast between the two candidates I can't see them coming out in droves for Romney.

Snowball
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
it wouldn't matter, because Obama would beat Romney in the general.
fool's gold.

also, Romney will be weak in the South. He is vulnerable.

schiffheadbaby
01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
nobody but paul, how could you entertain such a thought?

mitt romney has said he won't bring up the fed in this election, won't cut 1 single department, has no courage, is a 24/7 panderer.

never would support him, he ruins the name of the free market by pretending to be about capitalism when he really is a fascist/corporatist.

No Free Beer
01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Rand would be beyond moronic if he decided to accept.

He could forget about ever running for President.

In 4 years, the establishment will be under attack even more than now.

Rand would be smart to back away after this election.

Wait for his time (2016 or 2020) and attack.

Rand Paul for President (after Ron)

Athan
01-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I was just having a long political conversation with a coworker who is a diehard Romney supporter. We get along well and he knows he can never change my mind and vice versa. He brought up an interesting wish of his. He hopes to god that Romney is smart and picks Rand as his VP. He sees this as the best way for him to win us over and ultimately win in a general. I sort of agree with his concept because without something drastic like that... I don't see any other candidate getting our vote and I really see no way for Obama not to win. What are your guy's thoughts? Would you stomach voting for Mitt in the general if Rand was his VP? Would Rand even accept? (I have my doubts)

I told myself no one but Paul and I aint budging, but with Rand being a mere "incident" away from being potus if he were VP... well... it is intriguing.

Thoughts?
Its not intriguing for me. In fact, its laughable as Romney won't have the Ron Paul supporter vote. Rand also won't accept. If Ron doesn't win, and Mitt is nominated to go against Obama, he will be raped. Raped HARD.

Then Rand will have a chance to be president after Obama's final term. Leaving Rand the possibility of taking the nomination and running away with it as our economy will be worse regardless of Obama or Romney's policies. At that time, we be able to swat levin and crush people like him before, during, and after the campaign. If Rand is foolish enough to accept to be tied down with Romney, he still won't win and he will be seen as a sell out.

MsDoodahs
01-06-2012, 01:13 PM
It's simple.

No One But Paul.

Period.

xFiFtyOnE
01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
If Mitt did a complete reversal on some of his policies (thats totally possible...lol), and we could somehow know he would actually adhere to those policies (major problem with flip floppers...) and Ron endorsed him, and Rand actually accepted the VP spot, maybe just maybe I could do this. But to be honest I think it's more likely I'll shit a gold nugget than all that stuff happening.

Philhelm
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
If Mitt did a complete reversal on some of his policies (thats totally possible...lol), and we could somehow know he would actually adhere to those policies (major problem with flip floppers...) and Ron endorsed him, and Rand actually accepted the VP spot, maybe just maybe I could do this. But to be honest I think it's more likely I'll shit a gold nugget than all that stuff happening.

The only way I'll ever support Romney is if he were to drop out now and fully endorse Ron Paul.