PDA

View Full Version : SF Chronicle: Is Ron Paul to left of Obama, or throwback to Ike?

svobody
01-06-2012, 03:05 AM
hxxp://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/06/MNM61MKTTH.DTL

jersdream
01-06-2012, 03:05 AM
What's the point of breaking links to regular articles?

parocks
01-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Ron Paul is a throwback to the Old Right. Robert Taft, who ran for President in 1940, 1948, 1952. Taft finished 2nd in delegates in all 3 years.

Eisenhower's managers, led by Dewey and Massachusetts Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr., accused Taft of "stealing" delegate votes in Southern states such as Texas and Georgia. They claimed that Taft's leaders in these states had unfairly denied delegate spots to Eisenhower supporters and put Taft delegates in their place. Lodge and Dewey proposed to evict the pro-Taft delegates in these states and replace them with pro-Eisenhower delegates; they called this proposal "Fair Play". Although Taft and his supporters angrily denied this charge, the convention voted to support Fair Play 658 to 548, and Taft lost many Southern delegates. Eisenhower also received a boost when several uncommitted state delegations, such as Michigan and Pennsylvania, decided to support him; the removal of many pro-Taft Southern delegates and the support of the uncommitted states decided the nomination in Eisenhower's favor.

Slobodan
01-06-2012, 04:04 AM
I heard the establishment media say RP is left of Obama on Foreign policy. I disagree! I think the definition of right is closer to the US Constitution that is conservative and right! So Obama is left or liberal on Foreign policy RP is conservative or right. That would also make Romney, Gingrich and Santorum left or less conservative as well. I'm sure if I said this on Fox TV, thay would not like hearing that!

anaconda
01-06-2012, 05:48 AM
San Francisco makes me sad. They should be the most libertarian city on the planet earth. Like the bar scene in Star Wars. It's a shame.

bobbyw24
01-06-2012, 05:56 AM
"George Bush was the worst thing that ever happened to the Republican Party," said Paul supporter Robert Nadeau, owner of Nadeau Family Vintners in Paso Robles (San Luis Obispo County). "When I look at the Republican Party going back to World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Republican candidates were the end-the-war candidates.

anaconda
01-07-2012, 05:13 AM
"George Bush was the worst thing that ever happened to the Republican Party," said Paul supporter Robert Nadeau, owner of Nadeau Family Vintners in Paso Robles (San Luis Obispo County). "When I look at the Republican Party going back to World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Republican candidates were the end-the-war candidates.

I will be buying this dude's wine. But his blaming Bush is silly. Bush was a dufus clown puppet.

BigByrd47119
01-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Ron Paul is a throwback to the Old Right. Robert Taft, who ran for President in 1940, 1948, 1952. Taft finished 2nd in delegates in all 3 years.

Eisenhower's managers, led by Dewey and Massachusetts Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr., accused Taft of "stealing" delegate votes in Southern states such as Texas and Georgia. They claimed that Taft's leaders in these states had unfairly denied delegate spots to Eisenhower supporters and put Taft delegates in their place. Lodge and Dewey proposed to evict the pro-Taft delegates in these states and replace them with pro-Eisenhower delegates; they called this proposal "Fair Play". Although Taft and his supporters angrily denied this charge, the convention voted to support Fair Play 658 to 548, and Taft lost many Southern delegates. Eisenhower also received a boost when several uncommitted state delegations, such as Michigan and Pennsylvania, decided to support him; the removal of many pro-Taft Southern delegates and the support of the uncommitted states decided the nomination in Eisenhower's favor.

Wow, +rep for the knowledge bomb!

JohnGalt23g
01-07-2012, 07:12 AM
San Francisco makes me sad. They should be the most libertarian city on the planet earth. Like the bar scene in Star Wars. It's a shame.

You mean Mos Eisley? You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy!

anaconda
01-07-2012, 04:55 PM
You mean Mos Eisley? You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy!

But Jaba...I'm going to pay you....just as soon as I get the money....

daviddee
01-07-2012, 05:14 PM