PDA

View Full Version : Tax-protestor movie on TeaParty07.com

ppc1040
11-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Perhaps this has already been discussed...

Is this a good idea? If Paul gets interviewed after a huge day of fund raising, the last thing we need is every reporter asking him if he thinks the 16th Amendment was properly ratified.

Brad Zink
11-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Actually, this is something that needs to be brought to the attention of the American people. At the very least, the Federal Reserve, the IRS, and the personal income tax are unneeded entities. At worst, they are unconstitutional.

garrettwombat
11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
yeah i agree, the freedom to fascism movie is great(if that's what your talking about)

he is in that movie after all..

DrNoZone
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Is this a good idea? If Paul gets interviewed after a huge day of fund raising, the last thing we need is every reporter asking him if he thinks the 16th Amendment was properly ratified.

Why would that be a bad thing? Ron Paul says all the time he wants to abolish the IRS and end the income tax!

garrettwombat
11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
the last thing we need is every reporter asking him if he thinks the 16th Amendment was properly ratified.

why is that the last thing we need...

its not about if he thinks it... it's fact it was never properly ratified...

and also... there is no law requiring you to pay a federal income tax... so whats the big deal?

ppc1040
11-09-2007, 05:51 PM
I believe Paul's stance is that he would repeal the 16th Amendment, which suggests to me that he at least he thinks its constitutionally valid.

ppc1040
11-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Sorry, this should probably be moved to the Dec 15-16th subforum

livinglegend
11-09-2007, 05:55 PM
why is that the last thing we need...

its not about if he thinks it... it's fact it was never properly ratified...

and also... there is no law requiring you to pay a federal income tax... so whats the big deal?

The VAST majority of media/Americans automatically think such views are extreme fringe.

Moneybombs get attention and the LAST thing we need is for Dr. Paul's campaign to give media ammo to mock Dec.16th and marginalize his support.

Media is STILL trying to tie this campaign to 9-11 truthers. We don't need more smears saying we are tinfoil hat types.

I think it is a bad idea.

shepburn
11-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Ron himself is for repealing the 16th Amendment. He also questions the legality of the ratification process. He says this openly. Don't be more afraid for what our website says than Paul himself says.

Alawn
11-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I think the movie is correct but most new people will not watch a movie almost 2 hours long and will think it is some crazy made up thing from conspiracy theorists. The media will use it to call him crazy even if it is true. A short video about getting rid of the income tax and the Fed/inflation without any conspiracy even if the conspiracy is true would be better.

F3d
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM

garrettwombat
11-09-2007, 06:21 PM
yeah keep that movie... that movie is how i found out about ron paul.. jeez

jm1776
11-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Absolutely keep the movie

dircha
11-09-2007, 06:42 PM
I think we are making a mistake if we don't use this opportunity to target a broader audience.

"This December 16th American citizens will
dump millions of dollars into the Ron Paul campaign to protest
the illegal and oppressive inflation tax."

"illegal and oppressive inflation tax"?

I don't think this is going to make any sense to most Americans.

Why focus the message on tax resisters? Why use this dubious, hotly contestable, amateur tax resister documentary video?

I think the message the website sends right now unfairly pigeon holes Congressman Paul, and does not do his broad, pragmatic message justice.

Why not focus the message on the rejection of lobbyists, the rejection of the party line of the political elite, the rejection of corporate welfare, the rejection of militarism, and the promotion of honesty, trust, peace, and prosperity?

Whoever is running that site, you have an enormous responsibility. I hope you will think this through, listen to everyone's feedback, and do what is best for Dr. Paul.

dircha
11-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Ron himself is for repealing the 16th Amendment. He also questions the legality of the ratification process. He says this openly. Don't be more afraid for what our website says than Paul himself says.

Even if you can produce quotations of Congressman Paul disputing the validity of the 16th amendment, think whether this is the right message to send. Dr. Paul does not go out on the campaign trail and make a point of disputing the validity of the 16th amendment.

Something to think about.

Cardinal Red
11-09-2007, 06:55 PM
While I am less passionately against this than I am in tying the campaign to things that RP does not even support as has happened on too many other occasions, strategically, I think this is the wrong way to introduce Dr. Paul to the media and a new audience of potential donors. (The first video on the site is excellent, BTW)

Why don't we simply say Ron Paul wants to eliminate the income tax and leave it at that. Getting rid of taxes is popular and totally in line with the Boston Tea Party theme. We do not want to introduce ourselves to new potential supporters and the media with positions that will be seen as fringe, such as saying the income tax is unconstitutional, even if many supporters do believe that.

I'll repeat what I've said in a previous post. This is an election. Dr. Paul is here to win. If that's going to happen, we have to expand beyond a passionanate base and reach out to voters who are still undecided. We also need to win over the media. To do that, we have to put our best foot forward. After new voters have committed to Dr. Paul, there is plenty of time to educate them ;)

LibertyEagle
11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Very bad idea. Please let Dr. Paul speak for himself.

constituent
11-09-2007, 07:02 PM
who said they were speaking for ron paul?

schmeisser
11-09-2007, 07:02 PM
No tax-protester movie - please

constituent
11-09-2007, 07:03 PM
the boston tea party was a protesting a tax no?

jd603
11-09-2007, 07:05 PM
I think it should be removed. It is not needed!!

work2win
11-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Disputing the legality of the 16th Amendment is the wrong path to take in our campaign to win more support for Dr. Paul. This issue is complicated and during my brief investigation of both sides, it looked like a lot of haggling over technicalities and leaves the impression of whining. Freedom to Facism is a good movie, but it is very confrontational, includes pre-mentioned appearance of whining, and is also 2 hours long! This is not something we need to drag possible supporters into right off the bat.

I agree with previous posters that suggested we replace that video with something shorter that is focused on a brief explanation of the federal reserve and money system, along with how and why we can get rid of the income tax. This would be much better for this website where we need to be reasonably brief and to the point.

UtahApocalypse
11-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Do we have to add something controversial to every money bomb? seriously it WILL get talked about in a negative light just like Guy Fawkes day did. Sure its still press but why include something the media can so easily attack??

Energy
11-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I think we are making a mistake if we don't use this opportunity to target a broader audience.

"illegal and oppressive inflation tax"?

I don't think this is going to make any sense to most Americans.

Why focus the message on tax resisters? Why use this dubious, hotly contestable, amateur tax resister documentary video?

I think the message the website sends right now unfairly pigeon holes Congressman Paul, and does not do his broad, pragmatic message justice.

Why not focus the message on the rejection of lobbyists, the rejection of the party line of the political elite, the rejection of corporate welfare, the rejection of militarism, and the promotion of honesty, trust, peace, and prosperity?

Whoever is running that site, you have an enormous responsibility. I hope you will think this through, listen to everyone's feedback, and do what is best for Dr. Paul.

I have to agree with this sentiment. The amateurish documentary and its website screams "fringe" and "truther" (has "9/11 truth"). It's introducing too foreign and complicated a concept for most people. We're not trying to burst people's brains here, this is after all a PARTAYYY! And we're not suggesting a drastic change, nor selling out...

Just a simplified and accessible message: that we're sending a message of not tolerating unfair "taxation for global occupation" and our other slogans.

I say omit that video. Have videos of Ron speaking.

Here's one that vouches for his monetary positions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNH5Xy8_0NM

work2win
11-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I have the perfect idea for the replacement video. Work off the principle of that ad that is so popular!

[queue "pump you up music"]

Imagine an America without an income tax...

take it from there.

Menthol Patch
11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
yeah i agree, the freedom to fascism movie is great(if that's what your talking about)

he is in that movie after all..

That is a great movie.

jnpg
11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I say put on something of RP speaking for himself. He is awesome! I agree that AFTF is a bit much for the website. But I didn't put any of this together, so the ones that are doing the actual work have the final say. ;)

Mav
11-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I agree the video is a huge mistake.

Let me put it to you this way:

I support Ron Paul.

I DO NOT support the movie. And I will not support a website or an event that does.

Most importantly Russo is not running for President. I don't care what Russo has to say. I care about Ron Paul. If the goal of this grassroots effort is to raise money for Ron Paul, why are we taking attention AWAY from Ron Paul and placing it on some documentary by a Hollywood film maker? I get the VERY STRONG sense from the teaparty07 website that the "agenda" is severely misplaced.

To me, the website says, "support my philosophy which is represented in the film." That is completely nuts. I strongly urge you to change the tone. You want people to support RON PAUL for President.

It is VERY important to remember, my opinion of the movie - whether I believe it or not - is completely irrelevant. The point is we are trying to raise money for RON PAUL!

jake
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
here we go again..

jm1776
11-09-2007, 11:44 PM
No doubt there were those who were against dumping the tea in the harbor too.

work2win
11-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Ron Paul is for eliminating the Income Tax, not nit-picking it. A website promoting Ron Paul should promote his platform. This concept is not rocket science, nor is understanding that many people view tax-protestors as "fringe."