PDA

View Full Version : What Happens to Delegates when Candidates Drop Out of a Race?

DamianTV
01-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Eventually, more candidates will drop out. Unlike Bachmann who had 0 Delegates from the Iowa Caucuses, other candidates will have Delegates when they drop. What happens to those delegates? Do other still running candidates divvy them up or do they just not count any more? Anyone care to explain?

RDM
01-05-2012, 06:05 PM
That candidate can pledge their support behind another candidate and transfer their accumalated delegates to that candidate. Also if a new candidate were to come on board all of the candidates that have dropped out could team together and support that new candidate and transfer all of their delegates, giving that new candidates instant delegates without even being in one caucus or primary.

Aratus
01-05-2012, 06:11 PM
sometimes a candidate cuts the delegates loose and they can then do as they please. this is like being a free agent in the sporting world.

DamianTV
01-05-2012, 09:49 PM
If that is the case, then we will have a lot of delegates that we will be able to pick up once the Caucuses really start going...

cindy25
01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
in some states they must vote as pledged, on the first ballot

american.swan
01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I assume it's different for each state, but the general rule I think goes something like they're bound to vote one way the first round, then they can do whatever they want. In same states, it's worse where they have to be bound for more than one round. The state chairman or whoever will stand at the mic at the convention and read out how many delegates from that state support which candidates.

I'm in favor of ending primaries entirely. Caucuses aren't so bad. I think we should push for ending this mess. We should elect delegates locally, go to the convention and fight it out on the floor of the convention. The backroom deals are better than this media charade. Our energized base would dominate the convention. Ron Paul would be our candidate. End of story.

With all these stupid primaries and caucuses, the media and sheeple ensure the crooks in power stay in power. Remember that.