PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: Veterans and Active Duty March for Ron Paul

Adam Kokesh
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
In solidarity with Cpl Jesse Thorsen, we, the founders of Veterans for Ron Paul 2012, Nathan Cox and Adam Kokesh, propose a Veterans and Active Duty March for Ron Paul on President's Day, Monday, February 20th, giving us enough time to plan and promote, and in plenty of time for an impact on Super Tuesday, March 6th. We would apply for a proper permit from the Parks Department and coordinate with appropriate authorities to gather in the vicinity (at the base if possible) of the Washington Monument, have a brief chance for veterans to speak, nothing special, possibly even as little as a soapbox and a bullhorn, but we'll see. Then, at a designated time, line up in formation on 15th St NW facing North towards Constitution Ave NW, march in formation to the White House, turn our backs to the White House, then "present arms" (hold a hand salute) to a folded flag for as many seconds as service members have died since Obama took office, then march silently back to the Washington monument and fall out. This could be followed by a designated time and place for media availability, and/or a reception to take place at another location. This has the benefit of being effective even if we only have a platoon-sized element of participants, but imagine if we could have an impressive number of vets and even active duty soldiers participate in this gesture! How many would join us in demanding that Ron Paul be recognized as the choice of the troops? We could encourage individuals to wear something symbolic of their service, like a piece of uniform like a hat or a patch and carry proof of service. We could invite active duty troops to participate in full recognition of the regulations of NOT being in uniform or to come in defiance of those regulations. It is an absurd proposition to say that members of the military supporting candidates in uniform would be construed to represent official positions of the government and rules regarding free speech for members of the military have only been used to silence dissent and keep the true will of the troops from being relevant in the American political discourse. Well, NOT ANY MORE!

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
In solidarity with Cpl Jesse Thorsen, we, the founders of Veterans for Ron Paul 2012, Nathan Cox and Adam Kokesh, propose a Veterans and Active Duty March for Ron Paul on President's Day, Monday, February 21st, giving us enough time to plan and promote, and in plenty of time for an impact on Super Tuesday, March 6th. We would apply for a proper permit from the Parks Department and coordinate with appropriate authorities to gather in the vicinity (at the base if possible) of the Washington Monument, have a brief chance for veterans to speak, nothing special, possibly even as little as a soapbox and a bullhorn, but we'll see. Then, at a designated time, line up in formation on 15th St NW facing North towards Constitution Ave NW, march in formation to the White House, turn our backs to the White House, then "present arms" (hold a hand salute) to a folded flag for as many seconds as service members have died since Obama took office, then march silently back to the Washington monument and fall out. This could be followed by a designated time and place for media availability, and/or a reception to take place at another location. This has the benefit of being effective even if we only have a platoon-sized element of participants, but imagine if we could have an impressive number of vets and even active duty soldiers participate in this gesture! How many would join us in demanding that Ron Paul be recognized as the choice of the troops? We could encourage individuals to wear something symbolic of their service, like a piece of uniform like a hat or a patch and carry proof of service. We could invite active duty troops to participate in full recognition of the regulations of NOT being in uniform or to come in defiance of those regulations. It is an absurd proposition to say that members of the military supporting candidates in uniform would be construed to represent official positions of the government and rules regarding free speech for members of the military have only been used to silence dissent and keep the true will of the troops from being relevant in the American political discourse. Well, NOT ANY MORE!

I fully support this. I would drive from Indiana to offer a hand.

danda
01-05-2012, 04:28 PM
YES. make it so.

coastie
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Great Idea. Do It.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg&feature=related

Merk
01-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes. Get it through the neocon's heads that we don't need to fight war at this point, and if they want war then they should pick up a gun and go fight it themselves.

TravisforPaul
01-05-2012, 04:35 PM
It stuff like this I wish I could win the powerball. I would organize and pay for everyone's trip for one massive Ron Paul rally.

chris53186
01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I will be there, and I will bring my veteran friends.

Nate
In solidarity with Cpl Jesse Thorsen, we, the founders of Veterans for Ron Paul 2012, Nathan Cox and Adam Kokesh, propose a Veterans and Active Duty March for Ron Paul on President's Day, Monday, February 21st, giving us enough time to plan and promote, and in plenty of time for an impact on Super Tuesday, March 6th. We would apply for a proper permit from the Parks Department and coordinate with appropriate authorities to gather in the vicinity (at the base if possible) of the Washington Monument, have a brief chance for veterans to speak, nothing special, possibly even as little as a soapbox and a bullhorn, but we'll see. Then, at a designated time, line up in formation on 15th St NW facing North towards Constitution Ave NW, march in formation to the White House, turn our backs to the White House, then "present arms" (hold a hand salute) to a folded flag for as many seconds as service members have died since Obama took office, then march silently back to the Washington monument and fall out. This could be followed by a designated time and place for media availability, and/or a reception to take place at another location. This has the benefit of being effective even if we only have a platoon-sized element of participants, but imagine if we could have an impressive number of vets and even active duty soldiers participate in this gesture! How many would join us in demanding that Ron Paul be recognized as the choice of the troops? We could encourage individuals to wear something symbolic of their service, like a piece of uniform like a hat or a patch and carry proof of service. We could invite active duty troops to participate in full recognition of the regulations of NOT being in uniform or to come in defiance of those regulations. It is an absurd proposition to say that members of the military supporting candidates in uniform would be construed to represent official positions of the government and rules regarding free speech for members of the military have only been used to silence dissent and keep the true will of the troops from being relevant in the American political discourse. Well, NOT ANY MORE!

+rep

Great idea & if big enough it would be impossible for the MSM to ignore without a total loss of credibility.

teacherone
sounds very risky.

have to avoid any comparisons to this ... http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/04/27/i_watched_kerry_throw_his_war_decorations/

chris53186
01-05-2012, 04:38 PM

I think February 21st is a Tuesday though. Should be Monday February 20th 2012. See you there!

zerosdontcount
01-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Definitely worth it especially if you can get a couple thousand people organized :)

libertarian4321
01-05-2012, 04:49 PM
sounds very risky.

have to avoid any comparisons to this ... http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/04/27/i_watched_kerry_throw_his_war_decorations/

I don't see how this would be anything like that. Kerry was protesting a war by essentially disowning his veteran status and tossing his medals.

These folks would be proudly displaying the fact that they had served and are supporting Dr. Paul.

Those that are still in the reserves can participate (the restrictions against political activity aren't the same as for active duty people), but should probably not wear any part of the uniform. Though they can wear something military related (e.g. a Tshirt).

I can't make it, but I think it's a good idea if others want to go.

rideurlightning
01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
We're with you Adam. Down with the establishment.

AdamT
01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
What if a group of veterans could travel to all RP's SC campaign stops, and line up in salute as he walks past to speak at the podium? Too much?

Adam Kokesh
01-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Date corrected! President's Day is Monday, the 20th of February. Everyone should have the day off!

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Date corrected! President's Day is Monday, the 20th of February. Everyone should have the day off!

Adam. Get in contact with the Oath Keepers.

sailingaway
01-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Isn't it a bad idea for active duty to march IDENTIFIED as in the military? The DOD just put out a memo in response to that guy speaking for Ron in fatigues, (even though it was impromptu) reminding military of the rules and saying even those NOT in active duty should not perform their political action in a way that calls the military into it. I would hate for them to get in trouble, and it would hurt Ron, too, if they did. Once, it is understandable people didn't know the rules, but responding this way seems reckless of the well being of the military doing this. It also makes it MORE likely the guy who already spoke up would get in trouble because he would have 'started something.'

This isn't just about military, corporations have rules like this as well, you aren't allowed to use company letter head for reference letters, or wear company logos/pins while doing certain things. We don't want to look like we don't care about what happens to those supporting Ron.

Veterans are a different kettle of fish, but active duty and reserve shouldn't be called into this imho. And frankly, being 'in their face' doesn't really serve Ron's purposes in this side issue, imho. It was a good faith error, and I think calling more attention to it will hurt most the guy who already spoke for Ron.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Isn't it a bad idea for active duty to march IDENTIFIED as in the military? The DOD just put out a memo in response to that guy speaking for Ron in fatigues, (even though it was impromptu) reminding military of the rules and saying even those NOT in active duty should not perform their political action in a way that calls the military into it. I would hate for them to get in trouble, and it would hurt Ron, too, if they did. Once, it is understandable people didn't know the rules, but responding this way seems reckless of the well being of the military doing this. It also makes it MORE likely the guy who already spoke up would get in trouble because he would have 'started something.'

This isn't just about military, corporations have rules like this as well, you aren't allowed to use company letter head for reference letters, or wear company logos/pins while doing certain things. We don't want to look like we don't care about what happens to those supporting Ron.

Depends on how many troops show up. IMO.

VegasPatriot
01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Adam. Get in contact with the Oath Keepers.

Adam, if you would like to speak with Stewart Rhodes you can PM me and I will give you his cell phone number.

vita3
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Very good idea! Hope it matures into something good.

eleganz
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
To anybody against this, VETERANS should be allowed to march for their country, they should be allowed to mourn their fallen brothers. F*** DoD directives....they are NOT law, why the HELL are you guys so afraid of something that isn't a LAW.

This will be all over the news, great publicity for Super Tuesday...

I will help however I can.

Keep up the great work Adam, let's make this happen!

donnay
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
In solidarity with Cpl Jesse Thorsen, we, the founders of Veterans for Ron Paul 2012, Nathan Cox and Adam Kokesh, propose a Veterans and Active Duty March for Ron Paul on President's Day, Monday, February 20th, giving us enough time to plan and promote, and in plenty of time for an impact on Super Tuesday, March 6th. We would apply for a proper permit from the Parks Department and coordinate with appropriate authorities to gather in the vicinity (at the base if possible) of the Washington Monument, have a brief chance for veterans to speak, nothing special, possibly even as little as a soapbox and a bullhorn, but we'll see. Then, at a designated time, line up in formation on 15th St NW facing North towards Constitution Ave NW, march in formation to the White House, turn our backs to the White House, then "present arms" (hold a hand salute) to a folded flag for as many seconds as service members have died since Obama took office, then march silently back to the Washington monument and fall out. This could be followed by a designated time and place for media availability, and/or a reception to take place at another location. This has the benefit of being effective even if we only have a platoon-sized element of participants, but imagine if we could have an impressive number of vets and even active duty soldiers participate in this gesture! How many would join us in demanding that Ron Paul be recognized as the choice of the troops? We could encourage individuals to wear something symbolic of their service, like a piece of uniform like a hat or a patch and carry proof of service. We could invite active duty troops to participate in full recognition of the regulations of NOT being in uniform or to come in defiance of those regulations. It is an absurd proposition to say that members of the military supporting candidates in uniform would be construed to represent official positions of the government and rules regarding free speech for members of the military have only been used to silence dissent and keep the true will of the troops from being relevant in the American political discourse. Well, NOT ANY MORE!

+rep

I support the veterans 150% especially the ones who take the oath seriously!

jason43
01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm in Va, I'm a vet, and am in. I have a few friends who are vets who I could probably get to come. Send me an email if you need anything. Remember.rob @ hotmail.com

rideurlightning
01-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Bump.

bunklocoempire
01-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Great idea Adam!

Veterans are a different kettle of fish, but active duty and reserve shouldn't be called into this imho. And frankly, being 'in their face' doesn't really serve Ron's purposes in this side issue, imho. It was a good faith error, and I think calling more attention to it will hurt most the guy who already spoke for Ron.

Good thoughts sailingaway, and I do agree, however here's where the rule/law gets a little sideways...

Here we have the CEO of Pizza Hut running over (as they often do) to get a photo op with employees of Papa Johns:

http://s6.postimage.org/5fiigu3jl/obama.jpg
President Barack Obama jokes with military personnel along a tarmac ropeline before boarding Air Force One at Pittsburgh International Airport in Pittsburgh, Pa., June 24, 2011. -I don't believe Pittsburgh I.A. is a military installation but rather "in public" (?)

Now I imagine since those Papa John employees didn't run for the hills as the Pizza Hut guy came over and laid hands on them, they approve whole heartedly of the guys pizza.

At any rate, the march could give attention to our men and women and their oath and these friggin' wars.

subsidizing failure
01-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Navy vet...was in the Gulf during Falluja as well. I will def. march if I can get some time off work.

sailingaway
01-05-2012, 06:28 PM
To anybody against this, VETERANS should be allowed to march for their country, they should be allowed to mourn their fallen brothers. F*** DoD directives....they are NOT law, why the HELL are you guys so afraid of something that isn't a LAW.

This will be all over the news, great publicity for Super Tuesday...

I will help however I can.

Keep up the great work Adam, let's make this happen!

I said I wasn't referring to the Veterans, but to the active duty part.

Have you googled Ron today? There are a ton of stories about the reservist in fatigues who spoke for him getting investigated for discipline. It does not work to Ron's favor, and disregards the best interests of the troop.

jason43
01-05-2012, 06:33 PM
I said I wasn't referring to the Veterans, but to the active duty part.

Have you googled Ron today? There are a ton of stories about the reservist in fatigues who spoke for him getting investigated for discipline. It does not work to Ron's favor, and disregards the best interests of the troop.

DoD directives matter when you are active duty. They can court martial you for breaking them.

As far as vets, yeah we can do whatever we want except dance or sell lemonade or whatever.

Todd
01-05-2012, 06:34 PM
My advice would be to get as many veterans as you can, but the Active duty folks might be risking much more than the gains of a symbolic protest if they show up in uniform. Of course it's their choice.

dbill27
01-05-2012, 06:42 PM
What date is super tuesday, is it before or after that?

thomj76
01-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Im sure that most readers here are aware, at least to some degree, the history that has shaped our present. I have tried to reply to this thread three times now. Each previous attempt ending in a somewhat frustrating fruition, the third attempt continues. The first attempt, I became bogged down in nitpicking about the quote

It is an absurd proposition to say that members of the military supporting candidates in uniform would be construed to represent official positions of the government

The reasoning thus in my mind was that of course, uniformed military personal represent an official capacity of government. Their Bonded Oath to defend and uphold the Constitutional from all enemies foreign and domestic carries the same weight as every elected official, all the way up to the Three Ring Big Top in Washington DC. It was at this time, that I became bogged down in the Liberty Tax Act and the Social Engineering that occurred with so many more people on the Conscripted Income Dole Train.

It was at this point where I tried to insert what was supposed to be my introduction, "Hi, I am technically a Veteran." It didnt fit right, there was so much to say about this subject. I was in the Naval Reserve from 1991-1999 as a Quartermaster Seaman. I did it to help with college and wanted to have some applications with my major which was applied mathematics. I filled a Shore Patrol Billet in Grand Prairie NAS and got to go qualify with the .45 sidearm. As I qualified with the sidearm, my mind went back to my Dad. I never knew him at a time where he hadn't been affected be his time overseas. He taught me some basics to handling a firearm, and as I fired both right and left handed, I thanked the fact that I knew how to juggle with feeling comfortable and confident while testing.

At this time, I figured I would just come back to the thread and try again to reply in a more succinct way. This time I started with the thoughts that if we include families of veterans the numbers would increase, and the event would be better attended. I have the flag that was given for my Dad's service to his country. It seems small in its package compared to what things might have been had he not volunteered to go over from the NATO Theater to SE Asia in the mid 60's. Right away, the second attempt brought me into a place where it was hard to continue.

Thus here are we. To reintroduce- I'm sure that most readers here are aware, at least to some degree, the history that has shaped our present.

It is with that in mind that I humbly recommend that we make this about accurate information for every Viewer. It is with the utmost professionalism that in my opinion that this message go forth. We know that Psy-Ops have been perpetrated upon the American People in the name of Geopolitical "Stability". Their reasoning ability conditioned in such a manner to make so many "Confident Incompetents", speaking first their opinions as if they were facts. If we can weave the accurate picture, the words shall speak for themselves.

I would be interested in attending this event to demonstrate a solidarity on behalf of all the Veterans and their Families towards an understanding of the Big Picture. After all, Psychology 101 tells us that we must identify the problem if we are to obtain a solution.

I am pasting a thread that was started here a while back. Its a three page summary to fill in some of the historical dots, so to speak. When we are armed with Knowledge, it is Understanding and Balance that will provide a solid foundation with which to grow. With our history, it is imperative that we are able to effectively communicate this information in a manner of Wisdom, that to paraphrase Thomas Jefferson, "Commands its assent." Even though boldly, we would stride full of passion and zeal for Beloved Liberty, in my opinion, it is with Words, not Swords that this struggle will be overcome.

Thank you for your time, Dear Reader, and without further ado, here is the History Link

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?298974-Some-History-for-the-Stroll-that-we-find-Upon-Ourselves&p=3345743#post3345743

Respectfully Submitted,

Christopher

eleganz
01-05-2012, 11:16 PM
BUMP

More VETS need to see this.

XTreat
01-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I am active duty and a vet and I would attend.

Adam Kokesh
01-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Christopher et al, thank you for your thoughtful contributions to this proposal. I should have made it slightly more clear and I think going forward the singular focus of the message for this event is:

RON PAUL IS THE CHOICE OF THE TROOPS!

Everything else, including individuals' reasons for being a part of this march, is secondary to that.

On the count of including non service members, I think that would dilute the message. Certainly, it would not be appropriate to have non-veterans marching in the actual formation, but I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to invite service families and supporters to march behind the formation. It would also be great to have "civilian support" in organizing this and spreading the word, so it would be great for them to have a way to be included in the action itself. I think we should also have a screening point for those joining the formation and REQUIRE at least some proof of service be presented to march in the formation. Thoughts?

Nate-ForLiberty
01-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Who is going to be holding the folded flag?

Adam Kokesh
01-06-2012, 12:18 AM
From what I can see here and from other places that I've shared this idea, we have a lot of potential to make something amazing happen. So I'm going to go ahead and give this a day to simmer here with the braintrust of RPF, and if there are no other important modifications to the core concept, create a facebook event page and start the permit application process soon as I get back from NH on the 11th. If someone wants to start a website or anything else for this to help coordinate or promote, please let me know, or just do it!

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Christopher et al, thank you for your thoughtful contributions to this proposal. I should have made it slightly more clear and I think going forward the singular focus of the message for this event is:

Everything else, including individuals' reasons for being a part of this march, is secondary to that.

On the count of including non service members, I think that would dilute the message. Certainly, it would not be appropriate to have non-veterans marching in the actual formation, but I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to invite service families and supporters to march behind the formation. It would also be great to have "civilian support" in organizing this and spreading the word, so it would be great for them to have a way to be included in the action itself. I think we should also have a screening point for those joining the formation and REQUIRE at least some proof of service be presented to march in the formation. Thoughts?

For requirement could always ask to bring a copy of your DD214. Vet here, and I wouldn't recommend a formation march because it'll look so sloppy and terrible...I remember going to school after boot and we had to march to the classroom about 1/4 mile from the barracks and this was about a month after boot -- we looked like shit..partially no one cared, and secondary you lose skills the longer you don't use em. I can only imagine how bad a march will look with folks who haven't marched in years or even decades! :p

In any event, right oblique and left oblique your way to a Ron Paul victory :p

PS: Would be cool to have a liberty or RP guide-on. :D

Adam Kokesh
01-06-2012, 12:26 AM
I think whomever is calling cadence for the formation would be holding the flag. We would arrive in front of the WH facing west, do a, "PLATOON - HALT" "LEFT FACE" "DRESS RIGHT DRESS" "ABOUT FACE." This would have the formation realigned and facing away from the WH at which point the cadence caller would walk around to the other side of the formation, "PRESENT ARMS" then take a knee with the flag held out in front and hold for the designated length of time, rise, "ORDER ARMS" then walk back around front. "LEFT FACE" "FORWARD MARCH." I would love to have the honor of being the one to execute this (I've always loved close order drill) but if it there is someone else who would be more symbolically appropriate, then it doesn't have to be me. We could also have a different person holding the flag, or something else to salute that would symbolize the fallen troops. I would suggest a field-expedient memorial (helmet, dog tags, rifle, and boots) but even having a rubber rifle in DC is problematic.

rblgenius
01-06-2012, 12:27 AM
This is a great idea. Bump for all the Vets to see this. If you need help with a site, let me know. You should definitely make a facebook group and invite everyone on here who says they can do it. The rest of us Ron Paulers should join the group just so we expand the # of people in the group of image purposes.

Adam Kokesh
01-06-2012, 12:27 AM
HECK YES TO A RON PAUL GUIDON!!!

Adam Kokesh
01-06-2012, 12:28 AM
I was thinking we could have traditional platoon style "road guards" too with reflective vests.

rblgenius
01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Have you made a facebook group yet?

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-06-2012, 12:32 AM
I was thinking we could have traditional platoon style "road guards" too with reflective vests.

LOL. I remember having to sprint up to the cross roads and do that shit (and then back into formation...). After long marches having to run in your boots -- ugh. Marine Corps probably had it worse than us Coasties, but it was still a PITA.

AFPVet
01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
What if a group of veterans could travel to all RP's SC campaign stops, and line up in salute as he walks past to speak at the podium? Too much?

That would be really cool!

Root
01-06-2012, 12:39 AM
why stop in SC?

AFPVet
01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
DoD directives matter when you are active duty. They can court martial you for breaking them.

As far as vets, yeah we can do whatever we want except dance or sell lemonade or whatever.

It's not the DOD directives which get you into trouble. It's the ORDER! The UCMJ empowers officers to issue orders. Failure to obey a lawful order is what they can get you on.

RickyJ
01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
I think this is a great idea, but without much media coverage it won't have much of an effect on the election.

We need a way to make sure people know about this before super Tuesday. A commercial showing part of the march could be shown with a commentator saying why these service men and women are marching for Ron Paul. Using portions of this event in a commercial for the Ron Paul campaign would bypass the media blackout of the event and have a real impact on super Tuesday election results.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-06-2012, 01:02 AM
I think whomever is calling cadence for the formation would be holding the flag. We would arrive in front of the WH facing west, do a, "PLATOON - HALT" "LEFT FACE" "DRESS RIGHT DRESS" "ABOUT FACE." This would have the formation realigned and facing away from the WH at which point the cadence caller would walk around to the other side of the formation, "PRESENT ARMS" then take a knee with the flag held out in front and hold for the designated length of time, rise, "ORDER ARMS" then walk back around front. "LEFT FACE" "FORWARD MARCH." I would love to have the honor of being the one to execute this (I've always loved close order drill) but if it there is someone else who would be more symbolically appropriate, then it doesn't have to be me. We could also have a different person holding the flag, or something else to salute that would symbolize the fallen troops. I would suggest a field-expedient memorial (helmet, dog tags, rifle, and boots) but even having a rubber rifle in DC is problematic.

I don't know if this idea would be logistically practical, implementable, or even appropriate, but what if there were a group of wives/husbands of soldiers lost since Obama has been in office. They would be in a semi-circle facing the formation of troops. At the center you'll have your flag holder facing the troops. all the wives/husbands put their left hand on the shoulder of the person in front of them (leaving the right hand to go over the heart or holding a picture of their lost loved one).

rough drawing.

Red square is flag holder. Semi-circle is the wives/husbands with their hand on the shoulder of the person in front leading all the way to the flag holder. Vertical lines are the troop formation.

During the march they could be on the flanks of the soldiers' formation, leaving space between the soldiers and civilians to symbolize the separation created by war from those who serve and those who wait for their return.

I dunno. Seems poignant.

eleganz
01-06-2012, 01:06 AM
I think this is a great idea, but without much media coverage it won't have much of an effect on the election.

We need a way to make sure people know about this before super Tuesday. A commercial showing part of the march could be shown with a commentator saying why these service men and women are marching for Ron Paul. Using portions of this event in a commercial for the Ron Paul campaign would bypass the media blackout of the event and have a real impact on super Tuesday election results.

lol...you don't do something like this and NOT alert the media...

Vets saluting fallen soldiers with their backs faced to the white house...that is tv that the MSM does NOT want to miss.

Americans love this stuff.

I also agree with vets saluting RP's entrance to all events...major credibility, instantly wins the audience and would be reported by the MSM, no doubt.

GunnyFreedom
01-06-2012, 01:24 AM
I'll help with this if I'm not in session or committee.

RickyJ
01-06-2012, 01:36 AM
lol...you don't do something like this and NOT alert the media...

Vets saluting fallen soldiers with their backs faced to the white house...that is tv that the MSM does NOT want to miss.

Americans love this stuff.

I also agree with vets saluting RP's entrance to all events...major credibility, instantly wins the audience and would be reported by the MSM, no doubt.

By all means invite them, but you underestimate their ability to blackout events they want to blackout. Sure they may show a very brief snippet from it and talk about it in passing, or even try to make it into something it is not, but they most certainly will not give it favorable coverage.

Zack
01-06-2012, 01:36 AM
I don't know if it would be practical for me to make it over there from the west coast, but I think this is an important idea.

jacmicwag
01-06-2012, 01:37 AM
In.

Zack
01-06-2012, 01:49 AM
By all means invite them, but you underestimate their ability to black out events they want to black out. Sure they may show a very brief snippet from it and talk about it in passing, or even try to make it into something it is not, but they most certainly will not give it favorable coverage.

I don't think there is any real negative points in the event concept, but there is certainly some lack of synergy in the time and place, because while this can easily be blacked out nationally, it's the perfect event to get lots of local chatter from both radio and TV. What I mean is that if this were happening in the one-week window of a primary or caucus, and in the same state of said primary/caucus (where lots of media will be, looking for something to cover), then it would be a heck of a lot harder to ignore than another rally safely tucked away in Washington DC. But wherever/whenever it is, I think this event is not only a good idea, but absolutely essential.

Adam Kokesh
01-06-2012, 02:08 AM
I don't know if this idea would be logistically practical, implementable, or even appropriate, but what if there were a group of wives/husbands of soldiers lost since Obama has been in office. They would be in a semi-circle facing the formation of troops. At the center you'll have your flag holder facing the troops. all the wives/husbands put their left hand on the shoulder of the person in front of them (leaving the right hand to go over the heart or holding a picture of their lost loved one).

rough drawing.

Red square is flag holder. Semi-circle is the wives/husbands with their hand on the shoulder of the person in front leading all the way to the flag holder. Vertical lines are the troop formation.

During the march they could be on the flanks of the soldiers' formation, leaving space between the soldiers and civilians to symbolize the separation created by war from those who serve and those who wait for their return.

I dunno. Seems poignant.

OUT-FRIGGIN'-STANDING! I really like the idea of the families receiving the salute, so to speak. I don't think them marching alongside the formation would be practical however. Perhaps a second group of family members of KIA and other family members behind the main formation?

bolil
01-06-2012, 02:15 AM
The only negative thing that could result would be the MSM beginning to beat the brown shirt drum... It is a gamble. A march like this would certainly resonate like a boulder dropped into a small pond, but HOW would it resonate. While surely it is an event supporting the advent of liberty, the Bill O's of the world will probably start crying storm troopers. or worse. We know they're capable of doing it, twisting the truth. It is good to remember the Bonus March of 1932 also - even in if the parallels now are very loose.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-06-2012, 02:44 AM
OUT-FRIGGIN'-STANDING! I really like the idea of the families receiving the salute, so to speak. I don't think them marching alongside the formation would be practical however. Perhaps a second group of family members of KIA and other family members behind the main formation?

I wasn't thinking that they would march along side the formation so much as walk with the formation. So if the formation was in the center of the street, the family members would be almost on the sidewalk or something. 10 or 15 feet space between them. But even if they have to follow behind the formation, it will still be good.

David West
01-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Former Army here. Not sure if it would be possible for me to make it from Oregon but I really like the idea and as my 22nd birthday is February 21, if this is going to be a big enough event to make it worth my while I would definitely see about asking some family and friends to help me out with airfare as a birthday present.

jason43
01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
It's not the DOD directives which get you into trouble. It's the ORDER! The UCMJ empowers officers to issue orders. Failure to obey a lawful order is what they can get you on.

Go violate a DoD directive and see how fast someone comes out showing you it's an order and puts the hammer down. *just saying

raystone
01-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Former Army here. Not sure if it would be possible for me to make it from Oregon but I really like the idea and as my 22nd birthday is February 21, if this is going to be a big enough event to make it worth my while I would definitely see about asking some family and friends to help me out with airfare as a birthday present.

One of the best 1st posts ! +rep

TimeForChange
01-06-2012, 08:26 AM
If an official press release can be made up we can post it on the Veterans for Ron Paul page on Facebook and maybe get it out to all the VFW's in surrounding states or across the nation

Working Poor
01-06-2012, 09:17 AM
The only negative thing that could result would be the MSM beginning to beat the brown shirt drum... It is a gamble. A march like this would certainly resonate like a boulder dropped into a small pond, but HOW would it resonate.

I am concerned for how it might get spun....

vechorik
01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I am concerned for how it might get spun....

You can go to the Blaze and browse the 318 comments about "soldier in uniform" article.
People that don't like Ron Paul BLAME Ron Paul.
People that like Ron Paul support Ron Paul.....same ole story.

As far as the RULES and the military -- every military person seems to support the rules. If you sign the line, then you take orders and obey.

I don't see the protest changing any military rules. I do see the spin to hurt Dr. Paul.
You're asking people to break military law. What is the benefit exactly?
Adam already gets a bad rap for the RT channel and this fuels the fire of "antiAmerican -- antiPatriotic"
I imagine myself blogging to defend this action -- I can't imagine one good defense of it, other than try to separate Dr. Paul from the actions of individuals.

How will enlisted military see the protest?

I don't know how I feel about this proposed "protest." I'm really torn about it -- so no other comment. (Christian, VietNam Vet that believes in civil disobedience, but ??? )

h ttp://www.theblaze.com/stories/army-reservist-could-face-discipline-for-speaking-at-ron-paul-rally-in-fatigues/

SDMF
01-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Bump.. Awsome Ideas, Thanks

thomj76
01-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Contained within the thought "Ron Paul is the Choice of the troops" is why they choose to donate, etc. In the case of Jesse, he was trying to articulate the reasons why he supported Dr. Paul. When he got cut off and was invited to speak up on the stage, he was a bit tongue tied in awe at being next to Dr. Paul. The resulting speech didn't clearly articulate his reasons.

The more we can objectively inform Americans as to the history that they are probably not fully aware of, then that in my opinion is in harmony with what Jesse was trying to say.

So perhaps with/alongside the press release, we could have the historical reasons why we are where we are today as a People and a Country on the Earth. Knowing the Geopolitical reasons for Entering WWI, and the results that are therein connected is so vital to understanding the following events that really helped to perpetuate what we see unfolding still today.

I think the receiving arc made up of the families is a very poignant idea, and I look forward helping in whatever way I in concert with everyone to make this as good of an event that it can be.

PPHILPOT
01-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I am in. BONUS ARMY!

TheLasersShadow
01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Stop worrying about the media and spin, you can be guarenteed as always that they will attack the movement no matter what. Just show your support for Ron Paul and let the cards fall as they may. I don't know about the military code of justice but if enough of you go maybe 1000 active duty I can hardly see them going after you all.

dagnybell
01-06-2012, 12:15 PM
then "present arms" (hold a hand salute) to a folded flag for as many seconds as service members have died since Obama took office,

I love this whole idea and I think it will send a great message, however, I'm wondering why focus only on those who have died since Obama took office. I think it sends a stronger message to count all who have died since the wars started. Bush is just as much at fault (or more so) than Obama. Also, it would have less of a partisan ring to it and send a message that both parties are status quo and we need a real change.

SamuelWhite
01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Hey Adam,

I noticed You saying something about a website. While I am not volunteering, mainly because I am not a United States citizen, I have a tip.

The other day someone from a web design agency called "WebStarts" posted a thread here claiming to donate 1$ for each registration to their free-ish website building and hosting service who did so via a Ron Paul banner. The thread can be found at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?347196-Popular-web-startup-company-endorses-Ron-Paul-with-an-ad-on-their-homepage

I don't know if it is just a marketing ploy or not (it probably is) but nevertheless I gave it a spin and in 15 minutes managed to cobble together http://fireitup.webstarts.com. Seems to work and the sitebuilding tools are somewhat usable.

So if someone has the spare time and motivation, then WebStarts can be used to create the website Adam mentioned.

Another good tool for building websites really fast is Edicy (http://www.edicy.com/en) which is even better that WebStarts, I think.

Good luck to everybody here from EU and keep up the good work. What is done here today and in coming months can alter the course of history on a global level, for better I hope.

DonovanJames
01-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey Adam,

I noticed You saying something about a website. While I am not volunteering, mainly because I am not a United States citizen, I have a tip.

The other day someone from a web design agency called "WebStarts" posted a thread here claiming to donate 1$ for each registration to their free-ish website building and hosting service who did so via a Ron Paul banner. The thread can be found at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?347196-Popular-web-startup-company-endorses-Ron-Paul-with-an-ad-on-their-homepage

I don't know if it is just a marketing ploy or not (it probably is) but nevertheless I gave it a spin and in 15 minutes managed to cobble together http://fireitup.webstarts.com. Seems to work and the sitebuilding tools are somewhat usable.

So if someone has the spare time and motivation, then WebStarts can be used to create the website Adam mentioned.

Another good tool for building websites really fast is Edicy (http://www.edicy.com/en) which is even better that WebStarts, I think.

Good luck to everybody here from EU and keep up the good work. What is done here today and in coming months can alter the course of history on a global level, for better I hope.

Beat me too it... maybe they'll donate 1$ to Grassroots for each website visitor too ^_~

Bump'n for fresh beats

freneticentropy
01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Great idea, Adam. I do agree with the poster who said it shouldn't be limited to those who lost loved ones under Obama.

As far as it being spun, I think it largely depends on how many participate. If it's just a handful of people, they'll play it off as a group of disgruntled traitors or something. If it's thousands of service members, that will be harder to do, and I don't think Americans will buy it. At any rate, I think the potential downside is small as long as it's not organized by the campaign, but completely independently. The upside, however, could be huge. We're behind in this race. We have to swing for the fences.

jllundqu
01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
As a member of Iraq Veteran's Against the War (IVAW) and Veteran's for Ron Paul, I fully support this measure. Just give me a time and place and I will be there in solidarity with my brothers and sisters.

THanks for your work Adam.

olehounddog
01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
God willin and the river don't rise. I'll be there

olehounddog
01-06-2012, 02:22 PM
I had 1 of them. lol

jllundqu
01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
As long as active duty members are not in uniform, there is no legal conflict (see UCMJ). We should all wear Ron Paul shirts... that is my new uniform.

cjm
01-06-2012, 02:26 PM
I love this whole idea and I think it will send a great message, however, I'm wondering why focus only on those who have died since Obama took office. I think it sends a stronger message to count all who have died since the wars started. Bush is just as much at fault (or more so) than Obama. Also, it would have less of a partisan ring to it and send a message that both parties are status quo and we need a real change.

I agree with this.

I would love to have the honor of being the one to execute this (I've always loved close order drill) but if it there is someone else who would be more symbolically appropriate, then it doesn't have to be me. We could also have a different person holding the flag, or something else to salute that would symbolize the fallen troops.

Since the event is political in nature, the person calling the cadence should probably be over 50 and from whichever super Tuesday state could use the most help reinforcing Dr. Paul's support-of-the-troops cred. A junior officer or NCO seems the most appropriate to me, but I don't have anything more than a gut instinct to support that (which is plenty on the internet).

Travlyr
01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Great idea!

rideurlightning
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Bump.

libertarian4321
01-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Active duty aren't supposed to go to partisan political rallies, even in civilian attire.

Reservists, however, are free to do just about anything a civilian can do. That includes attending a partisan rally/march. The caveat being that they can't do so in uniform (which is where CPL Thorsen made his mistake).

Vets, of course, have the same rights as any other civilian.

Adam Kokesh
01-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Active duty aren't supposed to go to partisan political rallies, even in civilian attire.

Not true. As long as they are not in uniform, and not on duty, they are entitled to full rights of political participation short of direct criticism of the commander in chief or their chain of command. This would certainly be allowed. After thinking about it, the invitation to the event will simply ask active duty troops to attend. HOW they attend is entirely up to them as individuals, and we won't even make a direct suggestion.

Thanks everyone for your input! I should have the facebook event page up tomorrow afternoon!

CaptainAmerica
01-07-2012, 03:58 AM

Do it, posse comitatus has been suspended for quite some time now since Bush was in office,the insurrection act of 1807 no longer exists...and hell, the President passed laws which permits himself power to assassinate american citizens or detain them without due process...it no longer matters whether u.s. troops follow these little rules of "political" engagement when the president already uses military forces for tyrannical actions.

libertarian4321
01-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Not true. As long as they are not in uniform, and not on duty, they are entitled to full rights of political participation short of direct criticism of the commander in chief or their chain of command. This would certainly be allowed. After thinking about it, the invitation to the event will simply ask active duty troops to attend. HOW they attend is entirely up to them as individuals, and we won't even make a direct suggestion.

I based my comment about why active duty (not Reserve or National Guard) people should avoid this sort of activity on DOD Directive 1344.10 "SUBJECT: Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces"

(See especially section 4.1.2.10. below)

4.1.2. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty shall not:

4.1.2.1. Participate in partisan political fundraising activities (except as permitted in subparagraph 4.1.1.7.), rallies, conventions (including making speeches in the course thereof), management of campaigns, or debates, either on one’s own behalf or on that of another, without respect to uniform or inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement. Participation includes more than mere attendance as a spectator. (See subparagraph 4.1.1.9.)

4.1.2.2. Use official authority or influence to interfere with an election, affect the course or outcome of an election, solicit votes for a particular candidate or issue, or require or solicit political contributions from others.

4.1.2.3. Allow or cause to be published partisan political articles, letters, or endorsements signed or written by the member that solicits votes for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause. This is distinguished from a letter to the editor as permitted under the conditions noted in subparagraph 4.1.1.6.

4.1.2.4. Serve in any official capacity with or be listed as a sponsor of a partisan political club.

4.1.2.5. Speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

4.1.2.6. Participate in any radio, television, or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

4.1.2.7. Conduct a political opinion survey under the auspices of a partisan political club or group or distribute partisan political literature.

4.1.2.8. Perform clerical or other duties for a partisan political committee or candidate during a campaign, on an election day, or after an election day during the process of closing out a campaign.

4.1.2.9. Solicit or otherwise engage in fundraising activities in Federal offices or facilities, including military reservations, for any political cause or candidate.

4.1.2.10. March or ride in a partisan political parade.

4.1.2.11. Display a large political sign, banner, or poster (as distinguished from a bumper sticker) on a private vehicle.

4.1.2.12. Display a partisan political sign, poster, banner, or similar device visible to the public at one’s residence on a military installation, even if that residence is part of a privatized housing development.

4.1.2.13. Participate in any organized effort to provide voters with transportation to the polls if the effort is organized by or associated with a partisan political party, cause, or candidate.

4.1.2.14. Sell tickets for or otherwise actively promote partisan political dinners and similar fundraising events.

4.1.2.15. Attend partisan political events as an official representative of the Armed Forces, except as a member of a joint Armed Forces color guard at the opening ceremonies of the national conventions of the Republican, Democratic, or other political parties recognized by the Federal Elections Committee or as otherwise authorized by the Secretary concerned.

4.1.2.16. Make a campaign contribution to, or receive or solicit (on one’s own behalf) a campaign contribution from, any other member of the Armed Forces on active duty. Any contributions not prohibited by this subparagraph remain subject to the gift provisions of sections 2635.301-2635.304 of title 5, Code of Federal Regulations (Reference (f)). See subparagraph 4.1.2.1. for general prohibitions on partisan fundraising activity.

conecyn
01-07-2012, 09:21 AM
My husband and I are in. He served in the Marines and I will stand in support on the sidelines, (filming of course).

european
01-07-2012, 09:32 AM
My husband and I are in. He served in the Marines and I will stand in support on the sidelines, (filming of course).
What a great first post. Welcome on board! ;) +rep
I understand you married your husband, I love him already (in a friends-way that is ofcourse). And I hope you are able to put your video on youtube so the rest of the world can see it. :D

Revolution9
01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
I based my comment about why active duty (not Reserve or National Guard) people should avoid this sort of activity on DOD Directive 1344.10 "SUBJECT: Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces"

(See especially section 4.1.2.10. below)

4.1.2. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty shall not:

4.1.2.1. Participate in partisan political fundraising activities (except as permitted in subparagraph 4.1.1.7.), rallies, conventions (including making speeches in the course thereof), management of campaigns, or debates, either on one’s own behalf or on that of another, without respect to uniform or inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement. Participation includes more than mere attendance as a spectator. (See subparagraph 4.1.1.9.)

4.1.2.2. Use official authority or influence to interfere with an election, affect the course or outcome of an election, solicit votes for a particular candidate or issue, or require or solicit political contributions from others.

4.1.2.3. Allow or cause to be published partisan political articles, letters, or endorsements signed or written by the member that solicits votes for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause. This is distinguished from a letter to the editor as permitted under the conditions noted in subparagraph 4.1.1.6.

4.1.2.4. Serve in any official capacity with or be listed as a sponsor of a partisan political club.

4.1.2.5. Speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

4.1.2.6. Participate in any radio, television, or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

4.1.2.7. Conduct a political opinion survey under the auspices of a partisan political club or group or distribute partisan political literature.

4.1.2.8. Perform clerical or other duties for a partisan political committee or candidate during a campaign, on an election day, or after an election day during the process of closing out a campaign.

4.1.2.9. Solicit or otherwise engage in fundraising activities in Federal offices or facilities, including military reservations, for any political cause or candidate.

4.1.2.10. March or ride in a partisan political parade.

4.1.2.11. Display a large political sign, banner, or poster (as distinguished from a bumper sticker) on a private vehicle.

4.1.2.12. Display a partisan political sign, poster, banner, or similar device visible to the public at one’s residence on a military installation, even if that residence is part of a privatized housing development.

4.1.2.13. Participate in any organized effort to provide voters with transportation to the polls if the effort is organized by or associated with a partisan political party, cause, or candidate.

4.1.2.14. Sell tickets for or otherwise actively promote partisan political dinners and similar fundraising events.

4.1.2.15. Attend partisan political events as an official representative of the Armed Forces, except as a member of a joint Armed Forces color guard at the opening ceremonies of the national conventions of the Republican, Democratic, or other political parties recognized by the Federal Elections Committee or as otherwise authorized by the Secretary concerned.

4.1.2.16. Make a campaign contribution to, or receive or solicit (on one’s own behalf) a campaign contribution from, any other member of the Armed Forces on active duty. Any contributions not prohibited by this subparagraph remain subject to the gift provisions of sections 2635.301-2635.304 of title 5, Code of Federal Regulations (Reference (f)). See subparagraph 4.1.2.1. for general prohibitions on partisan fundraising activity.

This looks like it applies either in or out of uniform. Is that a correct interpretation?

Rev9

AFPVet
01-07-2012, 02:29 PM
This looks like it applies either in or out of uniform. Is that a correct interpretation?

Rev9

Yes... if you are on active duty, you are subject to this 24/7 as well any other standing order; however, Reserve and Guard units (not on active duty) play by different rules... they may participate, but NOT IN UNIFORM. This would also apply to a person who is discharged, but still under Inactive Ready Reserve status (IRR). In other words, they are still contractually obligated.

Adam Kokesh
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I stand partially corrected! As I was taught as an ACTIVE reservist, this did not apply to us. So we are going to entirely avoid this dilemma by simply extending the invitation to active duty troops, and allow them to decide for themselves how or whether they'd like to participate. Here's the FB event:
http://www.facebook.com/events/create/?eid=192677970828185
Notice that the language was changed to:
"Active duty troops are invited to participate in full recognition of the regulations regarding political speech."

CaptainAmerica
01-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Rev9
as if those rules/laws actually matter ?!
the president can detain anyone he wants to without due process.

pen_thief
01-07-2012, 10:17 PM
I fully support this!!! :)

XTreat
01-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I am active duty and will still participate. I have already done far more than allowed by the DOD directive and am prepared for any resulting consequences.

libertarian4321
01-08-2012, 06:05 AM
I am active duty and will still participate. I have already done far more than allowed by the DOD directive and am prepared for any resulting consequences.

There is little chance of being caught. However, if you are active duty, and end up on the nightly news, it could go badly. Probably won't happen, though, because the news media will likely ignore this event like they do all Ron Paul events.

And certainly do not show up in uniform.

Adam Kokesh
01-08-2012, 07:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0LxI7_v9vA

I gave this speech last night at the Boots to NH debate watching party, and both active duty guys that were there said they were coming. One said he'd be in a suit with his ribbon bars on one side of his chest, and a Ron Paul button on the other. Every veteran in attendance (at least 20) said they'd do their best to be there.

Sullivan*
01-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Awesome Adam... Thank you for your service

Travlyr
01-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Great Speech Adam!

rideurlightning
01-08-2012, 09:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0LxI7_v9vA

I gave this speech last night at the Boots to NH debate watching party, and both active duty guys that were there said they were coming. One said he'd be in a suit with his ribbon bars on one side of his chest, and a Ron Paul button on the other. Every veteran in attendance (at least 20) said they'd do their best to be there.

Fantastic video Adam.

Cap
01-08-2012, 10:04 AM
I love your passion Adam. Please don't ever lose it.

Working Poor
01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Dear Adam,

It is clear that the only way we the people can watch the backs of our beloved troops is to vote for Ron Paul. I wish I could make it up to Washington to be with the troops and veterans on Presidents Day but my spirit is with you.

I wish I could keep you all from harms way.

robinlynn
01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Here is a full, clear version of Adam's amazing speech from Boots on the Ground Event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOIJmJVoAdg

ArmyChick
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I might be able to attend...It all depends on $$$. I am a Veteran and so is my SO. We will totally go!

eleganz
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I might be able to attend...It all depends on $$$. I am a Veteran and so is my boyfriend. We will totally go!

Jump on a greyhound and go :)

If you want to go by plane, ask for a chip-in on the forums, we're all behind you.

This single event could change the entire race.

David West
01-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Those of us who are more than a couple hours away should try to coordinate a bit. Maybe try to figure out a conveniently located and reasonably priced hotel that everyone could stay at. It'd make things like splitting cabs a heck of a lot easier and for those of us travelling a long way who will end up staying in D.C. two or three days it'd be nice to meet some fellow pilgrims to kill time and hang out with. If any locals with a good knowledge of the area have any suggestions I'd be very thankful to hear them!

Ekrub
01-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Curious if someone could give me an answer, why don't first amendment rights apply to active duty military, even in uniform?

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-09-2012, 03:54 AM
Yes... if you are on active duty, you are subject to this 24/7 as well any other standing order; however, Reserve and Guard units (not on active duty) play by different rules... they may participate, but NOT IN UNIFORM. This would also apply to a person who is discharged, but still under Inactive Ready Reserve status (IRR). In other words, they are still contractually obligated.

I am IRR, and would go in Service Dress Blues, but since I live so far away it would be a waste of resources for me to be there sadly. Good luck to everyone close enough to go! Do us proud.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Curious if someone could give me an answer, why don't first amendment rights apply to active duty military, even in uniform?

I'd assume you sign away some rights when you join.

LiveForHonortune
01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Up and Adam.

Called my military bros. DC, prepare your **us.

Occam's Banana
01-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Given undeclared wars, the PATRIOT Act, NDAA, assassination of American citizens, etc., etc. ad nauseum, the best answer to your question seems to be:

"For the same reason that NONE of the rights in the Bill of Rights apply to *anyone* anymore."

I'd assume you sign away some rights when join.

That's probably one of the "explanations" you'd get from the "system" - but according to the Declaration of Independence (which is supposed to be every bit as binding on the U.S. government as the Constitution itself), rights are "unalienable" and *cannot* be signed away or transferred. Not that that matters to the "system" anymore (if it ever did).

Krugerrand
01-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Given undeclared wars, the PATRIOT Act, NDAA, assassination of American citizens, etc., etc. ad nauseum, the best answer to your question seems to be:

"For the same reason that NONE of the rights in the Bill of Rights apply to *anyone* anymore."

That's probably one of the "explanations" you'd get from the "system" - but according to the Declaration of Independence (which is supposed to be every bit as binding on the U.S. government as the Constitution itself), rights are "unalienable" and *cannot* be signed away or transferred. Not that that matters to the "system" anymore (if it ever did).

and now, these are deemed terrorist words:

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

AFPVet
01-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Correct. First, our rights are not given to us by the Constitution; rather, they restrict the government from infringing upon those rights—and the rights not explicitly enumerated. Secondly, with the latest "activity", it would seem that none of our rights—which we have as free beings—are protected by the Constitution anymore.

ArtThouVirtuous
01-12-2012, 06:26 PM
buuuuuuuump

http://www.facebook.com/events/192677970828185/

FreedomFighter1776
01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
I'll be there, getting the word out and hope to see all of you there!

brushfire
01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
I'd assume you sign away some rights when you join.

You become property of the DOD.