PDA

View Full Version : Ben Swann "Reality Check" on the Newsletters

Tyler_Durden
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.fox19.com/story/16449477/reality-check-the-story-behind-the-ron-paul-newsletters

‎"..Kirchick fails to disclose two very important things: who's name was in that byline, and which article they wrote. He only states that the mystery writer wrote "One special edition" of the Ron Paul Report. The only special edition I can find is the 1992 article, "A Special Report on Racial Terrorism." Why is that important? Because this edition of the newsletter that is most often quoted to prove racism. So does that mean the most racist evidence in these newsletters actually has someone else's name on it?
I don't know, but I'd like to find out." -- Ben Swann

Edit: I wanted to throw in the Parent Company which allows such brave and bold journalism. We need "Ben Swann's" in all of their 46 stations!
http://www.raycommedia.com/locations

ShaneEnochs
01-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Been waiting for this for days. Thanks!

PauliticsPolitics
01-04-2012, 10:51 PM
interesting

rp713
01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
video is now up

ShaneEnochs
01-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I wonder who wrote that special edition. I'm very intrigued, because whoever wrote that one may have written the other ones as well.

AlexMerced
01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
wow... this was goooooood

muh_roads
01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Somebody I thought posted that article and it did have the byline? mentioned lew rockwell as the chief editor and contributor...then one other name...forget where I seen that...

sailingaway
01-04-2012, 11:06 PM
You can watch it here if you have a facebook account and like his: http://www.facebook.com/BenSwannRealityCheck

nano1895
01-04-2012, 11:07 PM
For those watching/have watched whats the overall gist of it? (Watching now)

Tyler_Durden
01-04-2012, 11:10 PM
You can watch it here if you have a facebook account and like his: http://www.facebook.com/BenSwannRealityCheck

Don't forget the Fanpage:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Swann-for-Press-Secretary-2012/242807579112438?ref=ts

rideurlightning
01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Very fair and unbiased reporting; in other words, REAL JOURNALISM. Ben Swann is awesome.

affa
01-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Deleted because it quoted something removed from the op that was incorrect.

The Gold Standard
01-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Someone here has to have a copy. Just go find it and tell us who wrote it.

Immortal Technique
01-04-2012, 11:25 PM
not bad should this go on the youtubes?

braane
01-04-2012, 11:34 PM
So he means to say that more than likely the author is known. Yet no one in the media came out with it. If the name is floating around here, on an internet forum, then what are the odds people who were paid to research this missed it? It's kind of late anyways, the damage has been done, but I think it's a smoking gun potentially to the medias plans to destroy Ron.

undergroundrr
01-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I think I'm going to pass out from inhaling too much journalism.

undergroundrr
01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
You know, Jan Mickelson on WHO-AM in Des Moines was saying the other day that he got the Ron Paul letters sent to the station. He might have a copy.

goldwater's ghost
01-04-2012, 11:39 PM
this is a great job of journalism. this is permanentky debunked. we need to get this in the mainstream. also point out how the msm purposely hid the truth from the american people

ShaneEnochs
01-04-2012, 11:40 PM

It's like freedom. It looks great from afar, but when you're not used to it, it can knock you over.

blamx8
01-04-2012, 11:41 PM
It seems to me that the reason Kirchick and the New Republic haven't responded is they could have major liability if they deliberately withheld the Authors byline with the intent to harm Dr. Paul. This apparent malice could likely leave them defending themselves against a Defamation of Character charge. The publication of the paper with the authors name withheld, and the untrue attribution of the sentiments to Dr Paul seems to constitute a clear case of libel.
Man I hope someone, somewhere has an old copy of this that they can get to Ben Swann.

undergroundrr
01-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Also, could we please stop calling these the "ra[ist newsletters"? At least among ourselves. Sounds to me like there were 240 editions of libertarian discussion and economic reporting. Only a handful had the un-PC content that has gotten all the attention.

szczebrzeszyn
01-04-2012, 11:44 PM
finally a dose of journalism

thehungarian
01-04-2012, 11:54 PM
That was quite interesting. Love me some Swann.

Tyler_Durden
01-04-2012, 11:55 PM
The article is talking about the infamous Kirchick 'expose'. I think the article is fair in saying that 'broke' the story, even if they'd been discussed previously. Heck, most mainstream media acts like the story 'broke' two weeks ago.

You're correct. I posted before before the video was available and was basing my first thread off of transcripts. Ben did an awesome job on this. I changed my first thread.

Muwahid
01-05-2012, 12:05 AM
So basically the mystery can be unraveled if that 8th page is found? :toady:

Immortal Technique
01-05-2012, 12:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0hpiwfM2qo

jasonxe
01-05-2012, 12:27 AM
So basically the mystery can be unraveled if that 8th page is found? :toady:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2294/hi9v.jpg

the end if cut off and TNR doesn't have the link.

muh_roads
01-05-2012, 12:32 AM
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2294/hi9v.jpg

the end if cut off and TNR doesn't have the link.

lol fucking media. Nice catch.

agorist ninja
01-05-2012, 12:34 AM
News Team.... ASSEMBLE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVlXYoVZHfA

I love Ben Swann. Comforting to know that there is at least one person in the media who hasn't sold his soul to the corporate establishment.

agorist ninja
01-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Everyone give Ben Swann a follow on twitter and a facebook like, if you haven't already. Oh, and leave a 'thank you' on his facebook wall under the story. The more comments, the better.

https://twitter.com/#!/fox19benswann
http://www.facebook.com/BenSwannRealityCheck?sk=wall

It's the least we can do.

joshnorris14
01-05-2012, 01:12 AM
So who can we contact at the New Republic to get the 8th page released?

The Free Hornet
01-05-2012, 01:46 AM
So who can we contact at the New Republic to get the 8th page released?

Here is a start from http://www.tnr.com/contact-us

Q: How do I subscribe to The New Republic?

A: Subscribe online using our online subscription form or call customer service at 800/827.1289.

You can subscribe to TNR newsletters here: tnr.com/newsletter-signup

Q: How do I manage my subscription, change my address, or review my account?

A: Visit our subscriber services page and click on 'Manage my Account'. Here you can renew and upgrade your subscription, change your login information, put a hold on delivery of the magazine, and more.

Or you can contact us here:
The New Republic
Attn: Customer Service
PO Box 15818
North Hollywood, CA 91615-5818
800/827.1289 between 5 am and 5 pm Pacific
Fax: 818/487.4550

TNRDigital[at]TNR.com
please include your account number in any correspondence.

Q: What is The New Republic's address?

A:
The New Republic
1331 H Street, NW Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005

Q: How do I contact TNR's advertising department?

A: You can find more information on advertising with TNR here: tnr.com/advertise

Caroline Black
cblack@tnr.com
202/508.4462

Q: How do I send a letter to the editor, make a submission, request permissions?

LETTERS
All letters should include the writer's full name, address, and telephone number and be fewer than 200 words. Letters may be edited for space and clarity. Please do not send attachments.

Email: letters@tnr.com

Letter to the Editor
The New Republic
1331 H Street, NW Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005

(202) 508-4444

SUBMISSIONS
Submit a manuscript. If TNR is interested in your submission, we will contact you within 6-8 weeks. We do not accept unsolicited reviews. Poetry submissions should be sent via email. No phone calls please.

Manuscripts: letters@tnr.com
Poetry: poetry@tnr.com

PERMISSIONS
Request an article or a back issue: article reprint.

GENERAL QUESTIONS
TNRDigital@tnr.com

Q: Where can I direct media inquiries?

A:

Annie Augustine
aaugustine@tnr.com

RPit
01-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Why do we have to contact the New Republic. Can't we get a hand on these from somewhere else. Seriously there must be someone in that district who has these letters. Just do a chip-in and put a reward on it. Whoever brings us the full original newsletter give 'em $500... Exposing this is worth $500.!

Paul Fan
01-05-2012, 02:00 AM
It is unlikely that an author is listed for the LA riots issue, since the newsletter is written in the first person and refers to a prediction "I" made in the past. But there may well be a box listing who was the editor for that issue, so that would be worth finding.

Still, the real point to make is that these newsletters are NOT racist. They present traditional conservative views in blunt language. That is all.

Edit: The Special Edition written by another author is probably the Survival Guide's special edition on Surviving Urban Violence. That has a byline at the top.

Sentinelrv
01-05-2012, 02:15 AM
We need to find the original copy. I want this to blow up in their faces HARD!

Tinnuhana
01-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Try JBS?

european
01-05-2012, 03:57 AM

i feel you 100%
I would describe it as a breath of fresh air

BuddyRey
01-05-2012, 04:05 AM
This is a great piece of journalism. We need to spread it everywhere!

fatjohn
01-05-2012, 04:09 AM
The campaign must have that edition. No way Ron Paul himself cannot access all of these. They just donīt want to reveal the writer.

Dsylexic
01-05-2012, 04:22 AM
true.some people say the person who wrote it is no more.does that point fingers at rothbard himself? *shudder*
i really hope it is some low level free lancer

angelatc
01-05-2012, 07:12 AM
bumping for the AM crowd, since I missed it here yesterday.

The original Kirckik article told us where he found the originals - libraries. It's year end, FEC filing time, and laundry day. I don't have time to start calling all the libraries in Texas to find which of them have the collections of right wing documents that he unearthed, but that's where I'd start if I did.

PastaRocket848
01-05-2012, 07:17 AM
where is his station out of?

angelatc
01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
where is his station out of? Cincinnati

pacelli
01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
finally a dose of journalism

no doubt about it. nice to see. I almost forgot what actual journalism looks like.

Dustancostine
01-05-2012, 07:25 AM
I believe the newsletters were found in a library in Kansas somewhere.

frodus24
01-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Unfortunately, the racism stuff is going to be brought up again as the campaign continues onward. This is not over by any means. Great reporting by Ben!

EBounding
01-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I wish all journalists did actual journalism and fact digging like Swann. :(

There are much bigger threats to the campaign than these newsletters though. I think Paul has handled it well. The media acknowledges that Paul didn't write them, so their attack now is that he was irresponsible for not being aware of them and should give money back to...someone, and drop out of the race.

So really, the most serious charge is that Paul was a negligent publisher while he was delivering babies and providing free medical care to poor minorities.

A. Havnes
01-05-2012, 08:47 AM
My eyes decieve me! Real journalism? I thought that went extinct a long time ago!

undergroundrr
01-05-2012, 08:50 AM
So really, the most serious charge is that Paul was a negligent publisher while he was delivering babies and providing free medical care to poor minorities.

Yes. In fact, I don't even think the last part is necessary.

Yeah, he was really lousy at publishing newsletters. Full stop. MSM sounds like they're really reaching if they blow that statement into this "seriously questioning his management and leadership skills."

Ron Paul is great at winning elections, promoting liberty, conveying a principled position, inspiring young people, biking, track and field and baseball. Bad at newsletter publishing. So the F what?

FreeTraveler
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Commando team assemble!

We need some guys to build a waterboard rig, and some others to go invite Kirchick to a "reasonable discussion."

:D

Travlyr
01-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Awesome work. Real investigative journalism. Thanks Ben Swann.

So... James Kirchick why don't you just go ahead and get Ben that information so we can get this cleared up,

I have repeatedly tried for 2 weeks to contact The New Republic and James Kirchick to get an answer as to which special report had another author's byline, I'm still waiting to hear back. -- Ben Swann

What do you say Kirchick?

Conza88
01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Respect to Swann..

Root
01-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Ben Swann has done some great pieces. I watch everything new he puts out.

angelatc
01-05-2012, 09:33 AM

YOu're right! A comment on Swann's site says they came from Kansas and ...WI? MN? - one of those mega cold places.

Tyler_Durden
01-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Don't forget to reach out to Raycom Media. See my first Thread.
I've said it a million times. I've already sent my letters and emails.

On FB, find me at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Swann-for-Press-Secretary-2012/242807579112438

ScottishRP fan
01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Ben Swann is one of the few real journalists left

in fairness, a real journalist with integrity could have a field day with all the stuff Ron paul has been subjected too

The Newt Gingrich connection is very interesting. the plot thickens

Travlyr
01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Ben Swann is one of the few real journalists left

in fairness, a real journalist with integrity could have a field day with all the stuff Ron paul has been subjected too

The Newt Gingrich connection is very interesting. the plot thickens
Do you mean the bullshit media propaganda thickens? What are you not telling us?

jsem
01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Don't try to dig up the name by the way. I think Ron is a pretty forgiving person and doesn't want to drag that persons name through the mud for something he might look at later and say "did I really write that crap?".

That was a FANTASTIC piece of journalism though.

ScottishRP fan
01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Do you mean the bullshit media propaganda thickens? What are you not telling us?

apparently the 'reporter' (James Kirchick) who broke the Ron paul newsletter story in 1997 withheld information and the company he worked for, Newt Gingrich is a board member, or was back then

http://www.opednews.com/articles/genera_heavy_fe_080216_conspiracy_against_r.htm

Sweman
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I was just about to write that. To my recollection that was it.

Edit: please let it be Dondero.

Steve-in-NY
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Edit: please let it be Dondero.I was going to say let sleeping dogs lie, but how amazing would that be? Too amazing, thats what. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Tyler_Durden
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Ben Swann tweeted:

"Heard from the TNR reporter James Kirchick this morning. he sent me the name and byline of the writer and the edition. I will share tonight."

tmg19103
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Can somebody Tube this?

Best media response to newsletters by far.

Mark37snj
01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Ben Swann tweeted:

"Heard from the TNR reporter James Kirchick this morning. he sent me the name and byline of the writer and the edition. I will share tonight."

Can you post links and times for this info?

AdamT
01-05-2012, 01:00 PM
On his FB Ben claims he will unveil the long hidden author tonight. Of course this is coming from that scum liar James Kirchick so.....

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/adamtro/swann.jpg

Steve-in-NY
01-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Well, truth is truth I suppose. I would have rather not re-hashed this right before NH, but I guess thats how its gonna be.
Heres what I want to know, almost more than the author...

Has any other news agency contacted Kirchick asking for this information?

The reason I ask is because with this being all over the news for so long on a variety of networks I find it very unusual that a WXIX reporter from a local OH station is going to break this story.

I specifically recall several big name national media persons interviewing Paul about this, and asking (paraphrasing) - so you COULD find out who wrote these.
The question becomes (if Kirchick was not contacted by these news agencies) why couldnt you find out?

Presuming that Kirchick was not contacted by these agencies, the answer to that question is one of two scenarios:
1. The national media that reported on this is inept.
2. The national media that reported on this had an agenda (specifically to smear a congressperson running for president).

Now, presuming that Kirchick WAS contacted by these agencies, the answer to that question is one of two scenarios:
1. The national media that reported on this is inept as they left out that part of the story.
1a. That part of the story was intentionally left out. (see: #2 above)
OR
2. The national media that reported on this had an agenda (specifically to smear a congressperson running for president).

Either way, the national media loses all credibility over this.

As it was said before "Its a legitimate question" and honestly, whatever the outcome, I, and I believe the American public should be given a full investigative answer.

Im also curious if Paul can prove this scan was done intentionally (seems pretty intentional to me) and if so, sue accordingly.

sailingaway
01-05-2012, 03:06 PM
On his FB Ben claims he will unveil the long hidden author tonight. Of course this is coming from that scum liar James Kirchick so.....

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/adamtro/swann.jpg

good point. Kirchick is not credible. He'd have to send a pdf not just write a name. There could be 10 names and he could just pick one.

sailingaway
01-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Well, truth is truth I suppose. I would have rather not re-hashed this right before NH, but I guess thats how its gonna be.
Heres what I want to know, almost more than the author...

Has any other news agency contacted Kirchick asking for this information?

The reason I ask is because with this being all over the news for so long on a variety of networks I find it very unusual that a WXIX reporter from a local OH station is going to break this story.

I specifically recall several big name national media persons interviewing Paul about this, and asking (paraphrasing) - so you COULD find out who wrote these.
The question becomes (if Kirchick was not contacted by these news agencies) why couldnt you find out?

Presuming that Kirchick was not contacted by these agencies, the answer to that question is one of two scenarios:
1. The national media that reported on this is inept.

Now, presuming that Kirchick WAS contacted by these agencies, the answer to that question is one of two scenarios:
1. The national media that reported on this is inept as they left out that part of the story.
1a. That part of the story was intentionally left out. (see: #2 above)
OR

Either way, the national media loses all credibility over this.

As it was said before "Its a legitimate question" and honestly, whatever the outcome, I, and I believe the American public should be given a full investigative answer.

Im also curious if Paul can prove this scan was done intentionally (seems pretty intentional to me) and if so, sue accordingly.

why do Americans need an answer over some un pc snark in a newsletter 22 years ago that Ron never wrote when it will distract from real policy questions with an election coming up?

Steve-in-NY
01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
why do Americans need an answer over some un pc snark in a newsletter 22 years ago that Ron never wrote when it will distract from real policy questions with an election coming up?Im not talking about the content of the newsletters, Im talking about if the national media that ran with this story did any actual investigation into it, which it appears that they did not. I think thats worth airing out since this is going to be brought up again anyway (wish it wasnt).

Its actually upsetting to me that this is being brought up again so close to NH.

edit:
long story short, Im saying the narrative can be adjusted to point fingers at the media.

edit2:
I see your point from another thread. Had some info mixed. Overall I agree, enough is enough - lets move on.

Cortes
01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
The media would continue to bring it up even if Swann never did this edition of Reality Check. At least we have definite proof to put the final nail into the coffin of this silly non-story.

jmdrake
01-05-2012, 04:39 PM
not bad should this go on the youtubes?

Mos Def ;)

Conza88
01-05-2012, 04:40 PM
good point. Kirchick is not credible. He'd have to send a pdf not just write a name. There could be 10 names and he could just pick one.

MAKE SURE Swann knows about that. Good point.

BucksforPaul
01-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Can someone let Ben Swann know about this if he already does not? I am not on facebook or I would.

jmdrake
01-05-2012, 04:48 PM
The media would continue to bring it up even if Swann never did this edition of Reality Check. At least we have definite proof to put the final nail into the coffin of this silly non-story.

+rep. The fact that this story is still just "hanging out there" is what keeps real issues from dominating the campaign. Ben Swann is awesome! This is great ammo for the next time I have to deal with the newsletters. "So the most racist newsletter had someone else's name as the author but the media covered it up. Thankfully one of America's last real journalists dug this up. There were over 200 editions with < 5% with racist content. So Ron Paul didn't read every freaking newsletter. And?" Thank you Ben Swann!

Kregisen
01-05-2012, 06:45 PM
bump...can't wait.