PDA

View Full Version : No one understands "inflation tax"

max
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Why are we protesting "the inflation tax" instead of just high taxes, corruption, and needless wars???

Go with stuff the public can understand....dont turn the tea party into an anti inflation tax protest!

You can include it...but the way the site is worded one would think this is an inflation protest. Americans think there is no inflation and they have no clue what "inflation tax" is...

lets keep it simple...a protest centered around the basics that everyone can agree with ..

Please change the language..

What news story would you think works best?

"RP supporters stage a Tea party donation drive to protest high taxes and the Iraq war."

OR

"RP supporters protest monetary policy"

Get my drift?...trust me on this. No one gives a rat's ass about monetary policy nor do they understand...

Leave AFFT video in there for those who want to learn more. Screw the naysayers who want to delete Russo's film.

Paulite5112007
11-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Why are we protesting "the inflation tax" instead of just high taxes, corruption, and needless wars???

Go with stuff the public can understand....dont turn the tea party into an anti inflation tax protest!

You can include it...but the way the site is worded one would think this is an inflation protest. Americans think there is no inflation and they have no clue what "inflation tax" is...

lets keep it simple...a protest centered around the basics that everyone can agree with ..

Please change the language..

What news story would you think works best?

"RP supporters stage a Tea party donation drive to protest high taxes and the Iraq war."

OR

"RP supporters protest monetary policy"

Get my drift?...trust me on this. No one gives a rat's ass about monetary policy nor do they understand

I agree - hard to get general public behind 'inflation tax'.

Protest against taxes that support the Iraq war.

Jwaksman
11-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I agree, too. Most people have never heard that phrase before.

The key to this fundraiser is: The simpler, the better.

"Freedom", "Small Government", "Anti-war"... these are phrases that resonate.

CelestialRender
11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Aye, I think a general over-taxation theme is gonna be more attractive to new donors than the rather obtuse idea of an inflation tax.

ronpaulitician
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
On December 16th, 1773 American colonists, protesting against the overreaching hand of the British empire, dumped tea into the Boston Harbor.

On December 16th, 2007 American citizens, protesting against the overreaching hand of the United States empire, will dump millions of dollars into the Ron Paul campaign.

(replace "protesting against" with "in an act of rebellion against"?)
(replace "United States empire" with "federal government of the United States"?)

Jwaksman
11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
On December 16th, 1773 American colonists, protesting against the overreaching hand of the British empire, dumped tea into the Boston Harbor.

On December 16th, 2007 American citizens, protesting against the overreaching hand of the United States empire, will dump millions of dollars into the Ron Paul campaign.

(replace "United States empire" with "federal government of the United States"?)

I say "protesting against" and "federal government of the United States". You want to make it impossible for even the biggest Paul haters to interpret us as anarchist or violent. It's going to become a more common attack as the leading Republican candidates start to feel more threatened.

ronpaulitician
11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I say "protesting against" and "federal government of the United States". You want to make it impossible for even the biggest Paul haters to interpret us as anarchist or violent. It's going to become a more common attack as the leading Republican candidates start to feel more threatened.
Yeah, I agree. Dang, the empire vs empire image fit so nicely :)

On December 16th, 1773 American colonists, protesting against the overreaching hand of the British government, dumped tea into the Boston Harbor.

On December 16th, 2007 American citizens, protesting against the overreaching hand of the United States government, will dump millions of dollars into the Ron Paul campaign.

manny
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
I'll say again I think the website is excellent, especially the main youtube teaparty video. However I agree making the inflation tax so prominent is to neglect more powerful weapons. Personally I find inflation - which is a tax really and one done without democartic scrutiny - to be a perfectly relevant issue for the tea party anniversary. But I'm convinced more people - those average floating voter republicans? - would be swayed by more general talk of decreased taxes, peaceful foreign policy, the right to bear arms and a man in charge they can trust. Link in a few of the better youtube videos and let RP himself explain about inflation.

If I had to pick one I would push like crazy the anti-war position RP holds. Get it out there to every anti-Iraq war group/forum/email list that Dec 16th is the date to donate to stop the war. I think it could get more attention than currency debasement.

(My comments all hinge on what the website will be used as... if it's just for current supporters then it's fine ... my worry is that it might be the place people who are just curious having heard about the money bomb first check out RP and, as we all know, there's much more to him:))

ronpaulitician
11-09-2007, 04:28 PM
If I had to pick one I would push like crazy the anti-war position RP holds. Get it out there to every anti-Iraq war group/forum/email list that Dec 16th is the date to donate to stop the war. I think it could get more attention than currency debasement.
Agree.

Any voter who doesn't want radical change in Iraq won't vote for Paul, so the war in Iraq is a very safe issue to push.

hillertexas
11-09-2007, 04:30 PM
i agree all around...and i have no clue what an inflation tax is.

manny
11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Also, I just wanted to add that the whole issue of inflation and central banks is very complicated. I don't just mean from the point of view of average voters but also trained economists. And not everyone who supports RP agrees on the issue. RP himself has talked of simply removing capital gains tax from gold and silver for example, some way short of immediately abolishing the Fed.

Two guys who I think at various times supported RP are Milton Friedman and Murray Rothbard. Their views on the Fed, central banking, credit based currency, international currency markets - and their role, for example in the Great Depression, are very different. I imagine RP will have many supporters who do not believe in a return to the gold standard at all. There are many economists - capitalist, free-marketeers, who believe that commodity backed currencies bring more touble than they solve.

(Not trying to start an argument ;) ... just saying it might not be the best rallying cause that it seems to be at first glance to those of us (me included) who follow Austrian economics)

jrich4rpaul
11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
We're against much more than just inflation tax.. I agree it needs a little fixin'

ronpaulyourmom
11-09-2007, 05:17 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with using language like this.

FreeTraveler
11-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with using language like this.

+1

terlinguatx
11-09-2007, 05:24 PM

terlinguatx
11-09-2007, 05:25 PM

slantedview
11-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Inflation is something people can understand.

$3.00 at the pump? That's inflation. Anyone can understand it.

Goldwater Conservative
11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree that we should focus on those other taxes and issues, but the inflation tax should be mentioned because it is one of the ways we can get lower-income individuals and the elderly (which seems to be where Paul is least popular) to support Paul. As others have pointed out, it's really not that complicated, especially if you point out that the people who first get the benefit of increased money supply, and thus can avoid facing inflation, are the already well-off.

sroll2237
11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree with what was first said. Normal Mainstream people don't really understand the inflation tax and that won't get them to sign up. Focus instead on high taxes, a costly and stupid war, a partisan government. Focus on things that will get people riled up.

jmhelms
11-09-2007, 05:32 PM
I also agree that "Inflation Tax" is hard for many people to understand. Even the word is inflation confuses people. I never knew what it meant until I took economics, of course I may have just been behind the curve...doubt it though. I think that taxes are an issue but so is opressive government abusing their power for unconstitutional practices.
As for video's check this one out it is my absolute favorite so far:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J-3M2D3V94M

terlinguatx
11-09-2007, 05:36 PM

FreeTraveler
11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
oops - double post

FreeTraveler
11-09-2007, 05:39 PM
It's a serious issue though. And I think this is a good way to educate people about the issue while raising money for Paul.

Don't try to educate ANYBODY about ANYTHING when you're trying to get them to give you money. Don't muddle the message! At most, add a link from the main page to other educational information, but don't let your visitor get sidetracked! This site has one purpose; to get someone to type their address in that little box. All other issues are secondary distractions from the intended goal.

If we're not VERY careful, we're going to end up with an elephant, otherwise known as a mouse designed by committee! :eek:

jmhelms
11-09-2007, 05:41 PM
It's a serious issue though. And I think this is a good way to educate people about the issue while raising money for Paul.
I agree that it is a serious issue that people need to learn about. I don't agree with the time and placement of making it happen. I think that the message could be more effective by sticking with things people readily know and understand.

ShowMeLiberty
11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Here's an example. Imagine 1 trillion dollars are in the economy. Suppose the government prints another 1 trillion. Now you have 2 trillion in the economy and your dollars are worth half as much. So in essence you were just taxed 50% of your wealth. Hopefully this clarifies things.

If TP07 focuses on inflation tax, this would be the way to do it.

Regardless, I think it should focus on tax in some way to stick with the Tea Party theme. Use income tax if inflation tax is too hard. Everybody hates income tax.

jrich4rpaul
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM
We need short, to the point explanations of what exactly we're against and what Paul stands for to get people on board. Short points about the war, income taxes, liberty, etc. should be explained, with perhaps some link to the issues section of RonPaul2008.com

Taxes alone won't get people interested, although it fits with the Tea Party theme and is a big thing.|

And as far as wording goes, less is more. This site is primarily to sign up for the 16th with a brief explanation of why we're doing this, not explain who Paul is.

wisconsinite
11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I agree that the term is confusing to most because the "inflation tax" is not an actual tax that you can find on the books, but is rather the outcome of a mathematical process.

I'd say protesting the income tax would fit better.

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Plenty of people understand the evils of inflation.

Ask Jimmy Carter.

terlinguatx
11-09-2007, 06:30 PM