PDA

View Full Version : Paul Gains Support of Pres. of a major LA TV Syndication Company

iladelphxx
11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Interesting:

TV Syndicator Plans To Pitch Infomercial To Ron Paul Campaign

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professional television syndicators at Hollywood Closeups are planning to make a pitch to the Ron Paul campaign to do a 30 minute infomercial to be aired in the early primary states.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Walt Thiessen

Kent Snyder, Lew Moore, Jesse Benton and the rest of the Ron Paul senior staff can expect a phone call soon from Jim LeFave, president of syndication at Hollywood Closeups, an LA company that specializes in syndicated television programming. LeFave is preparing to pitch the same idea to the campaign team that I voiced in my column two days ago. I spoke with LeFave by phone, and it was clear to me that he is very excited about doing this project.

"I've already priced a coordinated media buy in New Hampshire and Iowa, and I've checked out the various TV network requirements. Basically, as long as they can offer the same thing to the other candidates, there is no problem with buying prime-time for an infomercial. This is great for two reasons. One, the idea is perfect for someone like Ron Paul who needs to be heard in detail. Two, the other candidates aren't likely to have an infomercial ready in the short time left between now and the beginning of January," said LeFave.

LeFave is an ex-Democrat turned Paul supporter, and he's very enthusiastic about the prospects for his candidacy. LeFave apparently received an email about my article from one of my readers regarding the idea I proposed and wanted to let me know that he was working on the exact same premise. He has been with Hollywood Closeups for a number of years, which is fronted by David Sheehan, a prominent movie critic and talking head. Their website shows Mr. Sheehan with many of Hollywood's most famous personalities, including Clint Eastwood, Lily Tomlin, Michael Jackson, Dolly Parton, Jack Nicholson, "Ahnold," and many others.

"We're planning to go to Las Vegas with an HD-DVD pro camera, professional lighting, a monitor, and a professional cameraman," said LeFave, with the intention of shooting 28 and a half minutes of Ron Paul talking about...Ron Paul. LeFave thinks that the ideal format would be to shoot Dr. Paul in three minute segments on each of his major issues from his stump speech. "The advantage of doing it that way," LeFave continued, "Is that after three minutes of talking about a subject, Dr. Paul can take a break and then review what he said on the monitor via instant playback. If there's something he wants to do differently, we can just shoot those three minutes again."

LeFave's approach allows Dr. Paul to give a complete presentation on about seven topics of his choice at length, while leaving time for an introduction and a short summary at the end. In between segments they could intersperse what are known as "bumpers," little fillers of still shots, campaign speeches, crowd reactions, etc. to break up the monotony of seeing Dr. Paul on the screen talking straight into the camera for 30 minutes. LeFave likes the idea of setting a very presidential scene with a large, gleaming desk where Dr. Paul can sit as he speaks to the camera.

Hollywood Closeups plan to pitch the idea to the campaign ASAP. They are hoping that a little advance notice will help introduce the idea to the Paul campaign in advance of his call, which is why he shared this information with yours truly.

So once again, this becomes an opportunity for Paul supporters like you reading this article. If you like the idea of Hollywood Closeups doing a professional infomercial on Ron Paul for broadcast in New Hampshire, Iowa, and the other early primary states, pass the word and help build the excitement and enthusiasm to let the Paul campaign know how you feel about it.

Grandson of Liberty
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
wow. . . this seems rather HUGE.

RonPaulFever
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Uh.....WOW?! :D

SirNim
11-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Would this not be epic?

hard@work
11-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Can we get the guy with the question mark suit? I like that guy.

me3
Thanks iladelphxx!

Please remember to credit the news with a link back to the article or source!

sylvania
Wow. It would great to have him heard in detail. That is what we have always said is the major road block. Wow, just wow.

American
This is great, I hope this is legit and works out.

sylvania
11-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Please remember to credit the news with a link back to the article or source!

But only the good stories! The bad ones can remain unlinked (pretty please).

iladelphxx
11-09-2007, 03:12 PM

That guy would be the most Anti-Paul supporter out there. He made his living by taking advantage of the Government programs that Paul wants to eliminate...

Why would he want to sacrifice his own cash cow?

DjLoTi
11-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Raise More Money!!!

Dave Wood
11-09-2007, 03:16 PM
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED!!!!Give Rp eneough time on the airwaves uninterupted to explain his views.

JMO
11-09-2007, 03:19 PM
This would be great. hope it works out.

beerista
11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I've never watched a thirty minute infomercial about a candidate. When would it be shown? How is something like this distributed? Primarily on the internet? DVD distributions? Is it usually just cannibalized piecemeal as position statements? You get the idea. How are these things used?
By the way, I like the idea; just interested in intended outcome.

LibertyEagle
They were talking about this last night on the conference call.

iladelphxx
Perot did it back in 1992...

Although his were nationwide...

LibertyEagle
11-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Please provide the link to the story.

runderwo
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
That guy would be the most Anti-Paul supporter out there. He made his living by taking advantage of the Government programs that Paul wants to eliminate...

Why would he want to sacrifice his own cash cow?

Well, he'd just have to change his tune. "Want a way to get ALL of your income taxes back, make sure your savings retain their value, and lower the prices you pay for just about everything? I'll show you how to vote for the President that will do just that..."

LibertyEagle
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Link to the article:
http://www.nolanchart.com/article277.html

shadowhooch
11-09-2007, 03:33 PM
This would be even more huge if they turned these into DVDs that we could distribute. I hope it happens.

Adamsa
11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
He's gaining traction...

1000-points-of-fright
11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
If I were producing this, I would make it seem more like a Charlie Rose interview. Less scripted than just RP sitting at a desk addressing the nation. Obviously the outline and the questions would be carefully scripted to maximize his answers, but it would be more conversational and that's when RP really gets his ideas and personality across. The "host" would have to be someone who really understands his philosophy.

But this is a real coup that could change everything.:D

Naraku
11-09-2007, 04:05 PM
He's gaining traction...

I think you mean, he's cathin' on . . . .

Dave Wood
11-09-2007, 06:42 PM
bump for the nighties

murrayrothbard
11-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Best....idea.....ever

FSP-Rebel
11-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Keep the good news coming... thankyou very much

Shink
11-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Best news all day.

Adamsa
11-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I think you mean, he's cathin' on . . . .

I was looking for another word for it. :P

Fine...

"He's catching on, I'm tellin' ya!"

Jobarra
11-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Are you kidding? If anyone, it should be Ron Popeil :D Even has the same first name. You could title it "Two Rons make a Right"

"I have a revolutionary candidate for you today."

"Elect him, and forget it. He'll do all the rest." (set it and forget it. One of the more annoying catch phrases Popeil used :P )

"What do you expect to pay for other candidates like this? 69.99? 59.99? NO! He's... free? Is that right?" *looks at the camera all confused*

"Order now and you won't only get out of the War. You'll get this free position of smaller government(usual value: $9 TRILLION). You'll also get his free Integrity(usual value: PRICELESS)."

Ninja Homer
11-10-2007, 04:58 PM
This would be even more huge if they turned these into DVDs that we could distribute. I hope it happens.

I agree! A 30-minute professionally produced video would be perfect for distributing as DVD's as well as airing as infomercials.

Corydoras
11-10-2007, 05:16 PM
What do you bet that HQ lets this one drop?

ValidusCustodiae
11-10-2007, 05:56 PM
If I were producing this, I would make it seem more like a Charlie Rose interview. Less scripted than just RP sitting at a desk addressing the nation. Obviously the outline and the questions would be carefully scripted to maximize his answers, but it would be more conversational and that's when RP really gets his ideas and personality across. The "host" would have to be someone who really understands his philosophy.

But this is a real coup that could change everything.:D

2nd this.

RPFTW!
11-10-2007, 06:03 PM
excellent news

monotony
11-10-2007, 06:13 PM
This would be a perfect opportunity for him to set the record straight about how it would be possible to get rid of the income tax and how if that happens the roads and schools will not fall apart.

ValidusCustodiae
11-10-2007, 06:31 PM
If I were making it, I'd have 1-2 segments dedicated to history. I'd have a little bit about what was going on in Britain and in the colonies before the Revolution, talk about Britain's desire to force their bank on us and the pivotal role that played in igniting colonial discontent. Use the Franklin quote from F2F where he says "The refusal of King George to allow the colonies to operate their own money system free of the clutches of the money manipulators was probably the prime cause of the Revolution".

Go on to briefly explain the attempts at central banking thrown at us up until Wilson's signing of the Federal Reserve Act, which is then broken down in a little more detail. Note the 16th amendment supposedly passed this same year, giving the federal government power to tax income. Explain the gold standard and the taking of the gold by Roosevelt and the subsequent severing of gold backing when Nixon eliminated the gold standard.

Now tie it all together with inflation, display how inflation is destroying the country from the inside out (easily done!!!) then explain how Ron Paul plans to fix ALL of this by
~Changing our foreign policy
~Cutting wasteful spending
~Legalizing sound money, gold and silver as per the Constitution
then you could spin off into the Constitution being so important and just as valid as ever, talk about the loss of sovereignty, weak defense, lack of respect for civil liberties, and loose Constitutional interpretations in general that are hurting liberty and freedom.

Just a few ideas.

OptionsTrader
11-10-2007, 06:52 PM
If I were making it, I'd have 1-2 segments dedicated to history.

Bill O'Reilly would argue that, "We don't need a history lesson." :D

around 2:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JPvbVsDdY

Kidding aside.

I've maintained that Ron Paul's primary goal should be to quickly educate people how badly they need to understand history, economics, and the constitution because they need to understand how close the whole house of cards is to falling. The more air time he gets and the more the momentum builds, the more people will be informed and the more momentum will build, it should feed off itself and drive him into the 30%-40% range if more people just had the opportunity to hear and understand the message.

michaelwise
11-10-2007, 07:22 PM
When Ron Paul is seated and relaxed with a respectful interviewer, He can knock the socks off the interviewer and the audience. Just look at yesterdays NH round-table interview. I say air that one hour interview complete, or break it up into part one one day and part two the next. An infomercial is what people need to get to know the real him.

theoddmonkey
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
any updates on this? cause this would be huge.

angelatc
11-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Actually I think he made his living by taking advantage of people who wanted to take advantage of government programs.........

mrd
11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
You do not want a simple interview with Dr. Paul. While we would enjoy that, the public at large is easily distracted, and prone to channel changing.

It is best to maximize attraction of the viewing audience, since a 30-minute TV spot costs a bunch. I suggest heavy editing, to assist conveying concepts and references.

For instance, a brief overview of US foreign policy. A map of the world could be shown, with countries that we've overthrown/invaded highlighted as each is briefly listed. Perhaps a few inserts of the aftermath of these interventions.

Bouncy/flashy computer graphics, seemingly cheesy/simple, I believe go a long way in helping viewers follow things, and keeps viewer interest.

Dequeant
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
This would be the most awesome shot in the arm for the campaign yet, where are we standing on this?

freedominnumbers
11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I can't imagine how much 30 minutes of airtime in a solid block during prime time would be.

Maybe the people will like him enough that he'll get his own tv show after family guy :P

misconstrued
11-12-2007, 02:43 PM
This is great news. I really hope the campaign jumps on this.

jnpg
11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
You do not want a simple interview with Dr. Paul. While we would enjoy that, the public at large is easily distracted, and prone to channel changing.

It is best to maximize attraction of the viewing audience, since a 30-minute TV spot costs a bunch. I suggest heavy editing, to assist conveying concepts and references.

For instance, a brief overview of US foreign policy. A map of the world could be shown, with countries that we've overthrown/invaded highlighted as each is briefly listed. Perhaps a few inserts of the aftermath of these interventions.

Bouncy/flashy computer graphics, seemingly cheesy/simple, I believe go a long way in helping viewers follow things, and keeps viewer interest.

I am not making fun of your idea I like it. Wasn't Perot the charts and graphs guy?

I say short interview bits, testimonies from real people, AND flashy charts and graphs! Maybe some of the rolling text on the bottom. I know that can at times be distracting- but I do think you can double the amount of info you are putting out there.

I think this will happen- think positive!

JMann
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
If we could get a filler of the Paul hocking a power juicer maybe the spot will pay for itself.

thatnerdyguy
11-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I was actually just thinking about this the other day. How cool would it be for some people to get together and create a standard infomercial (complete with cheesy catch-phrases and announcer guy "But wait! There's more!") treating a Paul presidency like the best product under the sun. It would be both hilarious and educational AND get notice both from regular folks and the MSM (remember how much attention that Bush/Kerry JibJab thing got)?

It would be nice if:

1.) Let the media company or whatever create a 1st 30 minute infomercial and run with it, but then...

2.) Let the EXTREMELY talented members of the revolution use their sweet youtube trained editing skills to create something that will really knock everyone's socks off. Have a contest to create 10 minute mashups (with fancy graphics and what not) on a wide topic (the war, the economy, the size of government). They can be as cool or as funny as possible, pick the best 1 for each category, put them together, and put them on TV!

The second option will take a bit longer, but maybe in 2 weeks or so they could have a second infomercial ready.

[Edit]I agree fancy graphics are the way to go. And any type of "scripted interview" would be A STUPENDOUSLY BAD IDEA. I know when I come across those, I can spot them in a minute, decide they are worthless, and move on, at the same time LOSING RESPECT for both the interviewer and interviewee.[Edit]

LibertyEagle
11-12-2007, 03:57 PM

Good idea.

Adamsa
11-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Perot garnered a lot of support via his infomercials, maybe thats something Ron should consider if possible.

Texan4Life
11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I agree that they should incorporate some history into it to backup/understand his positions.

quickmike
11-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Um.............. I think that guy sells books on getting free s--t from the government. LOL

I dont think that would be a good idea to associate the Ron message with someone who wants to show you how to take advantage of govt freebees.

IMHO

parocks
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Infomercials are often tied in with a call to action, such as making a contribution. If recollection serves, Perot's informercials used 1-800 numbers to that end. I believe others used 1-800 numbers in the 92 campaign. With infomercials, overall, with the sale of a product, the TV station gets a cut of the reciepts, and the maker of the infomercial gets a cut of the reciepts. There are a bunch of special 1-800 numbers to determine exactly where the person calling in to buy the product (give a donation) heard the message.

This could be tied in with TeaParty07.

Primbs
11-13-2007, 11:00 AM
I am not making fun of your idea I like it. Wasn't Perot the charts and graphs guy?

I say short interview bits, testimonies from real people, AND flashy charts and graphs! Maybe some of the rolling text on the bottom. I know that can at times be distracting- but I do think you can double the amount of info you are putting out there.

I think this will happen- think positive!

Paul needs some charts to explain his economic positions. Most people don't see the nine trillion dollar national debt and the 56 trillion in government promises.

A new chart showing the war is now costing 1.6 trillion dollars when you throw in all the extra costs.

jacmicwag
11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I like the idea of tying in the fund raising with a 1-800 number. Might add another 50,000 people to the mailing list and once folks give, they will certainly vote in the primaries.

Man from La Mancha
11-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Does anybody see that if more of this kind of stuff happens it will force the other candidates to spend more money and start draining them whereas Ron's funds will just keep increasing.:D

literatim
11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
I think unusual advertising is what this campaign is fueled on. :)

TheIndependent
11-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Any word? Is this happening or even confirmed?

lawdida
11-14-2007, 09:04 PM
"deep voodoo" hahaha...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ERlGndQ_xtM

Benaiah
11-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Bump.

Anything ever come of this???

sirachman
11-26-2007, 08:07 PM
THIS IS EPIC
Holy crap! Thank you insert chosen diety here!!!

...so when is it going to happen?

Matthew Zak
11-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Bump.

Anything ever come of this???

I'm hoping they'll donate on the 16th.

Thomas_Paine
11-26-2007, 08:11 PM
What do you bet that HQ lets this one drop?

They will hear from us if they do...

Checks and Balances folks.

ronpaulfollower999
11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
An infomercial might be successful now. People searching for something to buy on TV for Christmas when all of a sudden they stumble upon the Ron Paul infomercial.

This might be the right time of year to have something like this.

ItsTime
11-26-2007, 08:15 PM
any new info and where did the info come from?

yongrel
11-26-2007, 08:16 PM
But wait! There's more... Liberty!

nathanmn
11-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Contact the campaign and tell them to get on this.

fedup100
11-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Can any body find the old Ross Perot ifomercials.....they were great. This is what the campaign should have done from the get go.

SCREW the msm, we don't need them they are irrelevant now!

Should the campaign pass on this, I must question whether the enemy is in the gates.

Paul must become up close and personal on this infomercial. People are in big financial trouble out in fly over country. If he will do the Ross Perot plain Texas talk, down on there level. Tell them how we will become prosperous again and respected in the world. How we can bring the boys home and still win this thing. How the elderly do not have to fear they won't have social security. AND< HE MUST TELL THEM HE WEILL CLO

fedup100
11-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Can any body find the old Ross Perot ifomercials.....they were great. This is what the campaign should have done from the get go.

SCREW the msm, we don't need them they are irrelevant now!

Should the campaign pass on this, I must question whether the enemy is in the gates.

Paul must become up close and personal on this infomercial. People are in big financial trouble out in fly over country. If he will do the Ross Perot plain Texas talk, down on there level. Tell them how we will become prosperous again and respected in the world.

How we can bring the boys home and still win this thing. How the elderly do not have to fear they won't have social security. AND, HE MUST TELL THEM HE WILL CLOSE THE BORDERS!! IT HAS TO BE SAID.

He must address how we have lost our freedoms and how he will restore them.. Like he always says, freedom is popular.

THIS IS THE BOMB!!!! :eek:

coboman
11-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Someone must take this idea seriously and run with it.

1) Ron Paul's ideas take time to explain and digest, 60 second TV spots are not useful here.
2) Infomercials can be seen by anyone with a TV.
3) It can include testimonials of people like you, with a great story to tell.
4) It can reach the people that currently know only about the candidates through MSM.
5) An infomercial can ask for contributions on the spot, making it easy to measure its effectiveness, and also help to make it pay for itself.
6) People can donate via telephone (which would reach a larger amount of people than the internet)

Ron LOL
11-27-2007, 08:01 AM
I like the idea of "three minute segments." These pieces should replace the issues section on RP's website, with links to the old written pieces.

Face it, most people don't want to read.

Pharoah
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Do you find there's no time to exercize your liberties? Is the weight of bureaucracy robbing you of energy? "The Ron Paul Freedom-Flex(tm)" is a total workout for your constitutional rights.

Plus! If you're among the first 300 million Americans to order "The Ron Paul Freedom Flex (tm)" you'll receive a FREE society! ;)