PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich Tells New Hampshire: Jefferson And Washington Would Have Cracked Down On Pot

jcarcinogen
01-04-2012, 06:44 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/04/newt-gingrich-new-hampshire-pot_n_1183618.html

Doesn't "Cracking down on pot" = Big Government???

EDIT: NORML's response http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/drug-law/newt-gingrich-proves-his-ignorance-america%E2%80%99s-marijuana-heritage-new-hampshire

braane
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Didn't Jefferson have opium poppies in his garden? I thought Gingrich was supposed to be a historian.

bluesc
01-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Oh god this guy is an idiot.

Sola_Fide
Dumb. When are Republicans going to wake up?

JTforRP
lolololol

bluesc
Didn't Jefferson have opium poppies in his garden? I thought Gingrich was supposed to be a historian.

Washington grew hemp too.

nobody's_hero
01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
LMao, yeah, 'cause everyone knows this was their next-biggest issue after whipping the British.

"Damn, now if we could just get rid of that pot." - George Washington

eduardo89

So did Jefferson. The Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights were drafted on hemp paper.

nano1895
"Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere." -President George Washington

???

1stAmendguy
01-04-2012, 06:51 PM
What is Gingrich smoking (pun)? The freakin' Constitution was written on hemp paper.

blazeKing
01-04-2012, 06:52 PM
"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country."
- Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President quote on Hemp

nobody's_hero
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Oh god this guy is an idiot.

Newt is a politician. Anyone who believes him, on the other hand, is the idiot.

TheTexan
How are people like this even considered for the Presidency? There is zero evidence to support that claim, and in fact a good amount of evidence to suggest otherwise.

You disagree with X? George Washington agrees with me!! /wins argument

Kords21
Freddie Mac paid this guy to be an historian? Maybe they can get a refund.

JTforRP
01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
‎"Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!" - George Washington in a note to his gardener at Mount Vernon (1794)

eduardo89
What is Gingrich smoking? The freakin' Constitution was written on hemp paper.

It was most probably drafted on hemp paper, about 90% of the paper at the time was made from hemp. The Constitution, however, was written on parchment made from sheep's skin.

pacu44

How did that work out, for either of them?

Echoes
That lying peice of shit probably knows the truth but will say anything to get nominated.

SonofThunder
01-04-2012, 06:56 PM

Wasn't Jefferson a big hemp farmer?

Bruno
01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
What is Gingrich smoking? The freakin' Constitution was written on hemp paper.

I guess he means that after they wrote about freedom and limited federal government on hemp paper, they would have arrested people smoking the same plant.

It is pretty ridiculous,.

GML3G
01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
"Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now."
"Laws provide against injury from others, but not from ourselves."
- Jefferson

Gingrich is an assistant professor of history, huh?

bluesc
01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Anyone want to turn up at one of his NH town halls, quote him on this, and then read some quotes from Jefferson and Washington? It will generate some media.

1stAmendguy
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
It was most probably drafted on hemp paper, about 90% of the paper at the time was made from hemp. The Constitution, however, was written on parchment made from sheep's skin.

Ah, well I learned something today. I guess what I previously believed is just an urban legend.

Sola_Fide
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
"Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now."
"Laws provide against injury from others, but not from ourselves."
- Jefferson

Gingrich is an assistant professor of history, huh?

Yeah...Revisionism 101

Aratus
01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
^this^

eduardo89
01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Ah, well I learned something today. I guess what I previously believed is just an urban legend.

Well it's not too far off. As I said, until the late 1800's almost all paper was made from hemp fibers. Paper, however, doesn't last very long and isn't as "formal" as parchment.

****The first draft of the Declaration of Independence (June 28, 1776) was written on Dutch (hemp) paper, as was the second draft completed on July 2, 1776. This was the document actually agreed to on that day and announced and released on July 4, 1776. …On July 19, 1776, Congress ordered the Declaration be copied and engrossed on parchment (a prepared animal skin) and this was the document actually signed by the delegates on August 2, 1776.

Maltheus
01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
But I'm confused. I thought it was ok for Gingirch to smoke pot in college because it was only illegal back then, but not immoral. Now he's called for the death penalty for people carrying more than 2 oz because he claims that it's suddenly become immoral too. So was it immoral back in the founders time? Was the 60s the only time it wasn't Newt?

Paulitics 2011
01-04-2012, 07:07 PM
It's okay, he's irrelevant.

Newt who?

coastie
01-04-2012, 07:07 PM
But I'm confused. I thought it was ok for Gingirch to smoke pot in college because it was only illegal back then, but not immoral. Now he's called for the death penalty for people carrying more than 2 oz because he claims that it's suddenly become immoral too. So was it immoral back in the founders time? Was the 60s the only time it wasn't Newt?

Nothin is immoral when the Newt is doing it, duh.

Libertea Party
01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gary-johnson-newt-gingrich-supported-death-penalty-for-marijuana-even-though-he-smokes-marijuana/

Aratus
01-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah...Revisionism 101

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bman
01-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Wasn't this douche bag a history professor? Seemed his new profession is LIAR!!!

"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country."
- Thomas Jefferson,

"Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere."
- George Washington

sratiug
01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
If it is true that the Constitution and the Declaration were drafted on hemp paper and Washington and Jefferson grew hemp we should really pound on hysterical drug warrior/historian Newt.

thehungarian
Jefferson wouldn't have done shit.

Tax the Fed

Newton Leroy - the draft dodger second-tier - Gingrich needs to read a letter Washington wrote . . .

"I took the flowering tops of the hemp plant . . . "

Also,

"Both President George Washington and President Thomas Jefferson were advocates of hemp
as a valuable cash crop. Jefferson urged farmers to grow the crop in lieu of tobacco."

Source : http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/marijuana

Boss
01-04-2012, 07:16 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gary-johnson-newt-gingrich-supported-death-penalty-for-marijuana-even-though-he-smokes-marijuana/

LOL

Gingrich is the worst (although Santorum is giving him a run for his money)

Carole
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
America's Founding Fathers: Pot Heads
http://thesecularity.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8355

Our Founding Fathers; Sex, Drugs and Revolution! ... and New world Order?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfS3g1J7KvU

John F Kennedy III
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Lol. Newt just can't stop saying stupid shit.

pinkmandy
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Lol. Newt just can't stop saying stupid shit.

Self control is definitely a stranger to him.

sailingaway
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Didn't Jefferson grow hemp, at least?

sratiug
01-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Hemp was the number 1 cash crop in the world for a couple thousand years, according to what I understand. Maybe during Jefferson's time?

affa
01-04-2012, 08:27 PM
"In the intervening years, however, Gingrich’s attitudes toward marijuana, like so many of his positions, changed significantly, and while the years in this case might insulate him from the flip-flopping charge, he displays a moral flexibility that should disturb conservative voters. “See, when I smoked pot it was illegal,” he told WSJ’s Hilary Stout in 1996, “but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn’t change, only the morality… That’s why you get to go to jail and I don’t.”"

--That may be the dumbest, most hypocritical thing I've ever heard a politician say with a straight face.

Jerkface
01-04-2012, 08:30 PM
"In the intervening years, however, Gingrich’s attitudes toward marijuana, like so many of his positions, changed significantly, and while the years in this case might insulate him from the flip-flopping charge, he displays a moral flexibility that should disturb conservative voters. “See, when I smoked pot it was illegal,” he told WSJ’s Hilary Stout in 1996, “but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn’t change, only the morality… That’s why you get to go to jail and I don’t.”"

--That may be the dumbest, most hypocritical thing I've ever heard a politician say with a straight face.

New is an excellent wordsmith. Given enough time, the worm can convince most people of anything. This is a good example. He would have made an excellent lawyer.

specsaregood
01-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Hemp was the number 1 cash crop in the world for a couple thousand years, according to what I understand. Maybe during Jefferson's time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH__GUg1EwY

SpicyTurkey
01-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Was that why the Constitution was made of hemp?

Bruno
01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Hemp was currency for many decades in our history.

eduardo89
01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Was that why the Constitution was made of hemp?

It's not. I already stated this in the thread. The Constitution is written (well actually engrossed) onto parchment made from sheep's skin. The drafts were most likely written on hemp paper.

01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Newt came out against pot in the live free or die state? Huge facepalm.

coastie
01-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Newt came out against pot in the live free or die state? Huge facepalm.

This is the same state that voted for McCain in 2007....

GeorgiaAvenger
01-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Hemp isn't what he is talking about, but I get the point

However, I wonder if the Founders actually grow any drug plants?

specsaregood
01-04-2012, 08:50 PM

by the anti-war voters even.

coastie
01-04-2012, 08:53 PM
by the anti-war voters even.

^AND that.

Like everything else in this country, its just a catchy motto that no one really believes and they just pull it out for argument's sake.

affa
01-04-2012, 08:55 PM

i'd bet many of our founders toked on occasion, though I have no proof of this other than the fact that marijuana wasn't demonized back then.

Sublyminal
01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
i'd bet many of our founders toked on occasion, though I have no proof of this other than the fact that marijuana wasn't demonized back then.

The bible says Jesus partook of the herb, so why then is it illegal in a nation with a bunch of Christians?

braane
01-04-2012, 08:58 PM

I believe marijuana wasn't an acknowledged word for it at the time, at least in the colonies? Marijuana is a Spanish word for it, and has generally come to be used for the recreational types of cannabis. Hemp might have been a word they used for all types of cannabis.

Edit: Yes, the word marijuana didn't become an American term until around the 1930's. Before then it would have been known as cannabis or hemp. Marihuana is what immigrants crossing from Mexico called it, and eventually the name just stuck. It is a derivative of a word that literally means 'intoxicating plant'.

coastie
01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I believe marijuana wasn't an acknowledged word for it at the time, at least in the colonies? Marijuana is a Spanish word for it, and has generally come to be used for the recreational types of cannabis. Hemp might have been a word they used for all types of cannabis.

^correct.

It was called hemp back then whether the smoked kind or not. Cannabis popularized a little later, mostly within medical community-so imagine their surprise when "Cannabis" -as they knew it-was suddenly dangerous, and therefore illegal.

The word marijuana was "introduced" to the US during the government's initial crack down on hemp in the late 30's, as Mexican immigrants were not exactly liked back then, they smoked it so the .gov used that inherent racism to demonize it.

The jazz singers in New Orleans also smoked it, and the propaganda followed suit by demonizing them and their association with the devil's weed.

coastie
01-04-2012, 09:07 PM

"Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln

Not a founder, but still......isn't Newt a Lincoln worshiper?

Working Poor
01-04-2012, 09:08 PM
No need to do a hit piece on this buffoon he will do it for us with his own stupidity.

J-Reg
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
The bible says Jesus partook of the herb, so why then is it illegal in a nation with a bunch of Christians? I'm sorry, but where does it say that? I'm so curious!

coastie
01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm sorry, but where does it say that? I'm so curious!

It does not say that anywhere in the bible...

Voluntary Man
01-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I think Washington and Jefferson would call Newt a "crack pot."

.... a "dangerous" crack pot.

specsaregood
01-04-2012, 09:32 PM
We do however have scientific evidence that it was being carried around and used by shamans over 2700 years ago.

CTRattlesnake
01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
This is the inherent difference between Ron and everyone else.....

Ron may not agree with a principle, but he doesnt want the government to stop others from using it.

A guy like Newt doesnt like something so he wants the feds to ban it from everyone because he said so.

Epidemic of narcissism

nano1895
01-04-2012, 09:40 PM
We do however have scientific evidence that it was being carried around and used by shamans over 2700 years ago.

If a drug addict walked up to Jesus begging for him to look at him, would Jesus have

1. Cured him of his drug addiction
2. Marched him to the Roman guards and said YOU NEED TO LOCK THIS GUY UP

???

HOLLYWOOD
01-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Newt Nukem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmSSVt7Mfkk

Sublyminal
01-04-2012, 09:41 PM

It doesn't say it in that exact wording but it does say something along those lines. I'm not much of a bible thumper so I can't give you an exact book.

coastie
01-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Right....I was just saying there is no mention of Jesus "using" it in the bible, at least not in the way so many seem to wish he did.

Disclaimer: I am an Atheist and don't buy into any of it either way.

coastie
01-04-2012, 09:44 PM
It doesn't say it in that exact wording but it does say something along those lines. I'm not much of a bible thumper so I can't give you an exact book.

No, it does not. And I am not a "bible thumper" by any stretch, either.

roho76
01-04-2012, 09:50 PM
How does one even get the audacity to walk into the "Live Free or Die State" and make such a dumb ass statement?

I don't know what to say. This guy is so full of shit he's growing potatoes.

Sublyminal
01-04-2012, 09:56 PM
No, it does not. And I am not a "bible thumper" by any stretch, either.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the bible; there are a ton of them out there, each with different variations on translations. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true and shown to me by a Christian.

Arklatex
01-04-2012, 10:04 PM
When Jefferson made that quote he was referring to all the qualities of this plant.

Some more important than others... (Settled long ago by those who have consumed its flower)

tempest
01-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Guys get real

I'm surprised that some of you think Newt is mistaken or smoking something (implying that he is talking out of ignorance)

No, Grinch is a manipulative, conniving lying sack of dog mess: he DOES KNOW that Jefferson And Washington would NOT have cracked down on drugs

Do not ever assume that Newt is innocently wrong.

Voluntary Man
01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Guys get real

I'm surprised that some of you think Newt is mistaken or smoking something (implying that he is talking out of ignorance)

No, Grinch is a manipulative, conniving lying sack of dog mess: he DOES KNOW that Jefferson And Washington would NOT have cracked down on drugs

Do not ever assume that Newt is innocently wrong.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I never assume the evil are innocent.

Mini-Me
01-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Please say you were using hyperbole...or has he actually called for killing anyone caught with more than 2 oz? I mean, yeah, I know, sociopaths will be sociopaths, but that's one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Steve-in-NY
01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
This was spoken so that the Paul supporters that prove him wrong look like pot smoking hippies, which fit his narrative.
Newts a joke, he knows it. Bring up his marijuana use if you have to bring up anything.

G-Wohl
01-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Please say you were using hyperbole...or has he actually called for killing anyone caught with more than 2 oz? I mean, yeah, I know, sociopaths will be sociopaths, but that's one of the worst things I've ever heard.

2oz????

?????????

I would have risked the death penalty about 300 times just in college alone if that were the case. :rolleyes:

heavenlyboy34
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Someone should tell Newty that the Constitution that he wants to uphold is written on hemp. ;)

mczerone
01-05-2012, 10:58 AM

He's "the smartest candidate in the race" and he "really knows his history".

I'm sure Paul knows more about history from reading Rothbard's "Conceived in Liberty" once than Gingrich has ever known.

Lomez
01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see."
Memoirs of Thomas Jefferson, 1781

Newt needs a history lesson.

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:02 AM

newt is an idiot. he is a liar. He is a historian right? this is simple knowledge.

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:03 AM
"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see."

hell we should make a commerical using washington and jefferson exposing romney,newt and status quo.

A. Havnes
01-05-2012, 11:03 AM

It came from Jefferson, but it sounds like it could be Tolkien!

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
someone should drudge this using washington and jefferson to speak against newt:)

LibertyEagle
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
LMao, yeah, 'cause everyone knows this was their next-biggest issue after whipping the British.

"Damn, now if we could just get rid of that pot." - George Washington

I'm sorry, but that was good. ROFL

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
http://naihc.org/hemp_information/hemp_facts.html

coastie
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM

No, he really did propose that. Google.

xFiFtyOnE
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM

I've heard that also. WTF is Gingrich talking about?

LibertyEagle
01-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Oh, come on, you don't believe they hired him as an historian.

tremendoustie
01-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Crossing borders with 2oz, I believe:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/27/us/gingrich-suggests-tough-drug-measure.html

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h104-4170

Y'all need to check out www.notonewt.com, if you're not aware of how much of a power hungry psychopath this guy truly is.

tremendoustie
01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
The drafts of the declaration of independence were written on hemp. I believe the final version was written on cloth.

speciallyblend
this thread makes me want to have a conversation with aquabuddha. This one is for you Newt.

Mini-Me
someone should drudge this using washington and jefferson to speak against newt:)

I'd be careful to check the original source, to make sure the quote isn't fabricated. It really does sound like another writer (the style is oddly reminiscent of Tolkien, lol). I'm looking for an online copy of Memoirs of Thomas Jefferson right now, but I haven't found a high quality searchable version of the full text yet.

Crossing borders with 2oz, I believe:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/27/us/gingrich-suggests-tough-drug-measure.html

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h104-4170

Y'all need to check out www.notonewt.com, if you're not aware of how much of a power hungry psychopath this guy truly is.

That's pretty nuts. Thankfully, he'll never become President.

Maltheus

As Speaker of the House, Gingrich introduced the “Drug Importer Death Penalty Act of 1996.”

The bill would have required a “sentence of death for certain importations of significant quantities of controlled substances.” It would have applied to anyone convicted more than once of carrying 100 doses — or about two ounces — or marijuana across the border. Defendants would have had a window of 18 months to file their one and only appeal.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/12/gary-johnson-gingrich-proposed-the-death-penalty-for-marijuana/

Cowlesy
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
This was spoken so that the Paul supporters that prove him wrong look like pot smoking hippies, which fit his narrative.
Newts a joke, he knows it. Bring up his marijuana use if you have to bring up anything.

+rep

As Admiral Ackbar would say, "It's a trap!"

tremendoustie
01-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Check that first link I posted too -- he calls for mass public executions.

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I'd be careful to check the original source, to make sure the quote isn't fabricated. It really does sound like another writer (the style is oddly reminiscent of Tolkien, lol). I'm looking for an online copy of Memoirs of Thomas Jefferson right now, but I haven't found a high quality searchable version of the full text yet.

history= they both grew hemp. and ben franklin ran a hemp mill

A Son of Liberty
01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Newt Gingrich Tells New Hampshire: Jefferson And Washington Would Have Cracked Down On Pot

Fixed your thread title for you.

Tax the Fed
Anyone want to turn up at one of his NH town halls, quote him on this, and then read some quotes from Jefferson and Washington? It will generate some media.

Great idea !

I need to find that reference of a George Washington letter (around 1780's) with "I took the flowering tops of the hemp plant . . ."

and maybe somebuddy could confront the revisionist history professor Newton the Nutt in NH ??

speciallyblend
http://naihc.org/hemp_information/hemp_facts.html

j (http://naihc.org/hemp_information/hemp_facts.html)ust google it folks its all there. common sense is a bitch eh newt.

Mini-Me
01-05-2012, 11:19 AM
history= they both grew hemp. and ben franklin ran a hemp mill

True. George Washington also has a [legimate] quote from his diaries regarding the separation of the male and female hemp plants, and the primary reason for that is to increase the amount of THC.

My spidey-sense is telling me that the Thomas Jefferson quote is fabricated though.

Check that first link I posted too -- he calls for mass public executions.
Not only that, he justifies it with a melodramatic "for the children" tirade. You have your globalist psychopaths, and you have your globalist deranged lunatic psychopaths, and Newt Gingrich happens to fall in the more specific category.

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:20 AM
norml's take http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/drug-law/newt-gingrich-proves-his-ignorance-america%E2%80%99s-marijuana-heritage-new-hampshire

PastaRocket848
01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
lol.. some historian.

demolama
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
This type of crap is what gives historians bad names. His PhD needs to be revoked.

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:23 AM
True. George Washington also has a [legimate] quote from his diaries regarding the separation of the male and female hemp plants, and the primary reason for that is to increase the amount of THC.

My spidey-sense is telling me that the Thomas Jefferson quote is fabricated though.

Not only that, he justifies it with a melodramatic "for the children" tirade. You have your globalist psychopaths, and you have your globalist deranged lunatic psychopaths, and Newt Gingrich happens to fall in the more specific category.

this is what i found in less then 5 seconds hehe need to find more sources but the last here seems right "The greatest service that can be rendered to any country is to add a useful plant to its culture." -Thomas Jefferson

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

"An acre of the best ground for hemp, is to be selected and sewn in hemp and be kept for a permanent hemp patch." - Thomas Jefferson's Garden book 1849

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
type this in google lots of info. thomas jefferson marijuana quotes

centure7
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/04/newt-gingrich-new-hampshire-pot_n_1183618.html

Doesn't "Cracking down on pot" = Big Government???

Cracking down on pot means they'd have added some crack to their pot pipe. Gingrich is now even more radical than Paul by advocating for crack legalization.

Given that Gingrich is a historian and must know Jefferson & Washington loved growing their weed, its the only possible explanation.

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
The fact is that George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, and many other Founding Fathers and their contemporaries were hemp farmers. Far from discouraging its cultivation, the early presidents

demanded
its cultivation:

from the link above in my earlier post http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/drug-law/newt-gingrich-proves-his-ignorance-america’s-marijuana-heritage-new-hampshire, looks like newt wanted to arrest james madison and monroe to i am sure the list goes on

by the way romney can be lumped into this insanity as well.

jcarcinogen
01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
norml's take http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/drug-law/newt-gingrich-proves-his-ignorance-america%E2%80%99s-marijuana-heritage-new-hampshire

Nice. I putthis on the op.

speciallyblend
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Nice. I put this on the op. lots of quotes to i am sure norml has the sources.

Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it everywhere!” – George Washington“We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption.” – John Adams“Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country.” – Thomas Jefferson

“The artificial preparation of hemp, from Silesia, is really a curiosity.” – George Washington (referring to hashish, used only as a drug)
“…began to separate the male from the female (hemp) plants,” – George Washington’s farm diary (one reason to separate males from females to get more potent buds)

“Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it everywhere!” – George Washington
“We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption.” – John Adams
“Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country.” – Thomas Jefferson

tremendoustie
01-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Gotta execute mommy for the children!

LiveForHonortune
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Is dis Gingbitch srs?

coastie
01-05-2012, 12:15 PM
The fact is that George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, and many other Founding Fathers and their contemporaries were hemp farmers. Far from discouraging its cultivation, the early presidents

demanded
its cultivation:

from the link above in my earlier post http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/drug-law/newt-gingrich-proves-his-ignorance-america’s-marijuana-heritage-new-hampshire, looks like newt wanted to arrest james madison and monroe to i am sure the list goes on

by the way romney can be lumped into this insanity as well.

Many of the early colonies(not all) REQUIRED it to be grown, you did not have a choice as it was so important to the British Navy for ropes and rigging.

Taxes were largely paid in hemp during the early years as well.

This is all historical fact, there is no getting around it, no matter how much one "Gingrich's" history. I am not surprised he has a PhD, they seem to be a dime a dozen nowadays, and as I said in another post-people that I have met with letters before and after their names are some of the dumbest people I have ever met.

heavenlyboy34
01-06-2012, 09:58 PM
The drafts of the declaration of independence were written on hemp. I believe the final version was written on cloth.
You are correct. My bad. :(

RickyJ
01-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Then why didn't they?

Is Gingrich retarded?

Does he not know pot isn't new, it has been here since the beginning of time.

The old fat man needs to just go away, he is embarrassing this nation.

MyEyesTheyBurn
01-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Is Gingrich retarded?
This.

GunnyFreedom
01-06-2012, 10:06 PM

To be fair they voted for McCain in 2008 because they thought he was going to end the wars.

GunnyFreedom
01-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Yes, Monticello boasted a huge pharmacy section in the garden, many species of which are currently illegal to grow. Also, I remember a quote from a letter from Jefferson somewhere talking about smoking "sweet hemp," which AFAIK can only mean one thing.

ETA apparently this was Abraham Lincoln

Chester Copperpot
01-06-2012, 10:11 PM
After the revolution, George Washington was the largest whiskey distiller in the country.

specsaregood
01-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh, come on, you don't believe they hired him as an historian.

Who better to hire if you want to revise and rewrite history?

Omnica
01-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Make the most of the Indian Hemp seed. sow it everywhere.

Omnica
01-06-2012, 10:27 PM
You are correct. My bad. :(
Final version of Dec. of Inde. Was written on parchment.

The first drafts were all written on hemp paper.

Omnica
01-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Many of the early colonies(not all) REQUIRED it to be grown, you did not have a choice as it was so important to the British Navy for ropes and rigging.

This is all historical fact, there is no getting around it, no matter how much one "Gingrich's" history. I am not surprised he has a PhD, they seem to be a dime a dozen nowadays, and as I said in another post-people that I have met with letters before and after their names are some of the dumbest people I have ever met.
+rep
Piled higher and Deeper = PhD

Dartht33bagger
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
The pure audacity of many of the statements Gingrich and Santorum make almost makes me think they just want to make people laugh.

Make they will have a future in comedy after they lose the GOP nomination!

heavenlyboy34
01-07-2012, 12:01 AM

Yep. I know a quite incompetent organist who has a degree of some sort in music.

heavenlyboy34
01-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes, Monticello boasted a huge pharmacy section in the garden, many species of which are currently illegal to grow. Also, I remember a quote from a letter from Jefferson somewhere talking about smoking "sweet hemp," which AFAIK can only mean one thing.

ETA apparently this was Abraham Lincoln
That's right. The quote you're thinking of is "Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." (I happen to know this because I play Hohner harmonicas myself ;) :))

HigherVision
01-07-2012, 03:57 AM
lots of quotes to i am sure norml has the sources.

Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it everywhere!” – George Washington“We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption.” – John Adams“Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country.” – Thomas Jefferson

“The artificial preparation of hemp, from Silesia, is really a curiosity.” – George Washington (referring to hashish, used only as a drug)
“…began to separate the male from the female (hemp) plants,” – George Washington’s farm diary (one reason to separate males from females to get more potent buds)

“Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it everywhere!” – George Washington
“We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption.” – John Adams
“Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country.” – Thomas Jefferson

Wow that's crazy about Washington seperating the male plants from the females. Sounds like he was cultivating sinsemilla buds way back then, as that's the only reason to do that. I don't think that was even common practice in America as recently as the 1960's-70's. George Washington rules! ;)