PDA

View Full Version : My mom just called me to congratulate my candidates strong finish in Iowa!

jmdrake
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Oh yeah, and she's in her 80s, African American and voted for Obama last go round. Demographically she's the last person one would expect to be a Ron Paul supporter. And she told me that my brother just told her that while he's still planning to vote for Obama in the general, he's going to cross over and vote for Ron Paul in the primary. Just thought folks would like a feel good story. ;)

torchbearer
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM
thanks for the info!

Paul Fan
01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Nice to hear!

european
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Can you make RP "her candidate" too? :D Now that would be awesome! ;)

ps. thanks for sharing, its a nice read.

Maximus
01-04-2012, 05:06 PM
If she still reads, consider buying her "The Revolution: a Manifesto"

anewvoice
01-04-2012, 05:07 PM
and it's congratulate, I'm just sayin

Kimmie
01-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I take it that you are African American, Jmdrake. Would you tell me what's African American's positions on Ron Paul generally? Are they neutral on him? Do they generally favor him or not? If I want to tell them about Ron Paul, from your experience what is the best approach? Which issues are more important to them? Civil liberties? Jobs? Economy?

lasenorita
01-04-2012, 05:14 PM
My dad called me to congratulate Ron Paul as well! :)
(He's still wary about the foreign policy bit, but he does sympathize with him on economic issues.)

Getting over 20% of the vote is a remarkable accomplishment. Let's continue this trend!

singe22
01-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I will add that also a family friend who is a IRS shark that loves her job ripping peoples lives apart called me saying she was just amazed on the actual numbers of support for RP. She always calls me a tea party nut but this time she said is willing to talk and hear out some of Ron Pauls ideas. (I am african american also, so is she)

jmdrake
01-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Can you make RP "her candidate" too? :D Now that would be awesome! ;)

ps. thanks for sharing, its a nice read.

Already did that. Some months ago looked her right in the eye and said "Mom, you just gotta vote for Ron Paul! This country's going to hell in a handbasket". And she said "You know what son, I think you're right. I just might vote for Ron Paul". I don't she'll get a Ron Paul bumper sticker, but I'm 99% sure she'll vote for Paul in the primary. And I've already dealt with the "newsletter" thing. My "newsletter" elevator speech is "I don't think Ron wrote that. It's not even his writing style. But even if he did that's not how he thinks now. Remember he said blacks were 14% of those who use drugs, but 36% of those who are arrested and 63% of those in prison? What kind of racist would say that?" So far that answer has defused 100% of the "Ron Paul is a racist" conversations I've had. I don't know how many are 100% convinced, but nobody tries to argue with me after I say that.

jmdrake
01-04-2012, 05:34 PM
My dad called me to congratulate Ron Paul as well! :)
(He's still wary about the foreign policy bit, but he does sympathize with him on economic issues.)

Getting over 20% of the vote is a remarkable accomplishment. Let's continue this trend!

Cool! Your dad sounds like my neighbor. He's considering voting for Ron Paul after seeing "Drinking with Bob" endorse him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLdZxDjFsYI

jmdrake
01-04-2012, 05:35 PM
I will add that also a family friend who is a IRS shark that loves her job ripping peoples lives apart called me saying she was just amazed on the actual numbers of support for RP. She always calls me a tea party nut but this time she said is willing to talk and hear out some of Ron Pauls ideas. (I am african american also, so is she)

Great! Keep up the good work. When Ron Paul ends the IRS I'm sure she'll get a good job actually helping people with their finances. ;)

Tax the Fed
01-04-2012, 05:41 PM
It is all about the 45th President fixing alot that got broken . . .
ever since the presidency of one Democrat Woodrow Wilson really.

I think their are alot of people who will support Ron Paul across the spectrum of America -

and keep in mind that Ron Paul is the only GOP nominee that would win the California electoral prize.

Romney can't.

jmdrake
01-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I take it that you are African American, Jmdrake. Would you tell me what's African American's positions on Ron Paul generally? Are they neutral on him? Do they generally favor him or not? If I want to tell them about Ron Paul, from your experience what is the best approach? Which issues are more important to them? Civil liberties? Jobs? Economy?

Yes I am. Every African American I've met at least respects him for being honest. Some are still wary over the racial stuff.[1] Many support his views on civil liberties and the war, although some (not all) are defensive about some of those positions since Obama's president. (Obama's cleaning up the mess Bush made and he has to do some of this stuff to protect us even though he really doesn't want to). Talking about the war and civil liberties (especially civil liberties) is the best approach. Be sensitive to the fact that for many (though not all) there is an emotional attachment to Obama. On the economy, you can point out that blacks are suffering worse in this recession and Obama has been quite beholden to Wallstreet, but again you'll get the "He's just cleaning up Bush's mess" response. Make sure you have your facts down pat.

But here's the most important argument. Remind them that Obama isn't having to run in the primary this time and that if they like Ron Paul at all (and many do) they might as well vote for him instead of throwing away their vote by not voting. In fact some that don't actually like Ron Paul can be persuaded to vote for him in the primary "just to screw with those republicans".

[1] Case in point I have a friend who knew about the federal reserve and Ron Paul before Ron Paul ran in 2008, but told me "Yeah he's good on some stuff, but you have to look at his views on race". I haven't tried my "elevator newsletter speech" on him yet. For one I haven't seen him recently. For another I'm a little intimidated. But next time I see him I'll try it.

jmdrake
01-04-2012, 05:46 PM
and it's congratulate, I'm just sayin

:) Thanks. I always screw that up.

Kimmie
01-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks, JMdrake. I have a grocery business in the city and a lot of my customers are African Americans and Latino. This is why I am asking you this question. Because Obama is the President, I can't tell whether they would be receptive to Ron Paul.

libertyguy
01-05-2012, 12:14 AM
I went to pick up my father at a mid-care home today to take him to lunch. An older man (mid 70ish) was reading the political section of the newspaper in the lobby. I asked him if he watched the Caucus voting last night and he affirmed that he had. I also asked him if he had a favored candidate. When he told me that he liked "Paul's" platform, I thought I would faint. With all the MSM bad press, I did not expect to hear this but wanted to share the news.

The bottom line is that while RP did not "win" Iowa, it placed him on the radar screen of a lot of Americans to give him a serious look!

european
01-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Already did that. Some months ago looked her right in the eye and said "Mom, you just gotta vote for Ron Paul! This country's going to hell in a handbasket". And she said "You know what son, I think you're right. I just might vote for Ron Paul". I don't she'll get a Ron Paul bumper sticker, but I'm 99% sure she'll vote for Paul in the primary. And I've already dealt with the "newsletter" thing. My "newsletter" elevator speech is "I don't think Ron wrote that. It's not even his writing style. But even if he did that's not how he thinks now. Remember he said blacks were 14% of those who use drugs, but 36% of those who are arrested and 63% of those in prison? What kind of racist would say that?" So far that answer has defused 100% of the "Ron Paul is a racist" conversations I've had. I don't know how many are 100% convinced, but nobody tries to argue with me after I say that.

:D aswesome! If only every RP supporter would do this, we will quadrupled our 45+ support.

Great! Keep up the good work. When Ron Paul ends the IRS I'm sure she'll get a good job actually helping people with their finances. ;)
omg you got me falling of my chair here almost :D

Yes I am. Every African American I've met at least respects him for being honest. Some are still wary over the racial stuff.[1] Many support his views on civil liberties and the war, although some (not all) are defensive about some of those positions since Obama's president. (Obama's cleaning up the mess Bush made and he has to do some of this stuff to protect us even though he really doesn't want to). Talking about the war and civil liberties (especially civil liberties) is the best approach. Be sensitive to the fact that for many (though not all) there is an emotional attachment to Obama. On the economy, you can point out that blacks are suffering worse in this recession and Obama has been quite beholden to Wallstreet, but again you'll get the "He's just cleaning up Bush's mess" response. Make sure you have your facts down pat.

But here's the most important argument. Remind them that Obama isn't having to run in the primary this time and that if they like Ron Paul at all (and many do) they might as well vote for him instead of throwing away their vote by not voting. In fact some that don't actually like Ron Paul can be persuaded to vote for him in the primary "just to screw with those republicans".

[1] Case in point I have a friend who knew about the federal reserve and Ron Paul before Ron Paul ran in 2008, but told me "Yeah he's good on some stuff, but you have to look at his views on race". I haven't tried my "elevator newsletter speech" on him yet. For one I haven't seen him recently. For another I'm a little intimidated. But next time I see him I'll try it.

I just had to respond to all 3 of your reactions (+ rep). And to sum it up: have you ever thought about going into politics? You have proven you can convice people (at least your mom! and not all can say so). ;) And your thoughts seem well-balanced and positive. My guess is you are able to get the votes for you to be elected, at least on a local level and build from there. Or maybe even with the help of your network in RPF and other websites start bigger. :) I do think the Revolution movement should get some more non whites as spokesmen to be honest. I was relieved to see Mr Howard, the Press Secretary of Ron Paul.

We are a diverse crowd and that should be reflected in the public space as well. (public space as in the theoretical meaning of "in the open political arena" Habermas) So I was happy to see the video's made by African Americans in response to the racist-attacks. But it can also be done by becoming a journalist. And ofcourse from that it also is imperative to get this diversity into the local, county, state and federal level as elected politicians. Both spheres help eachother in strengthening eachoter. (a little reading about Habermas can be found on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_sphere ).

Oke let me stop here. Maybe I should open a new thread or write a blog post about this :p Sorry for me ranting :) I was just getting excited because of you! :D

mavtek
01-05-2012, 01:44 AM
I got a text from someone this morning saying the same thing, I was surprised. Remember though, most people don't pay attention like we do. RP finishing 3rd is pretty good for most people.

jmdrake
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
:D aswesome! If only every RP supporter would do this, we will quadrupled our 45+ support.

omg you got me falling of my chair here almost :D

I just had to respond to all 3 of your reactions (+ rep). And to sum it up: have you ever thought about going into politics? You have proven you can convice people (at least your mom! and not all can say so). ;) And your thoughts seem well-balanced and positive. My guess is you are able to get the votes for you to be elected, at least on a local level and build from there. Or maybe even with the help of your network in RPF and other websites start bigger. :) I do think the Revolution movement should get some more non whites as spokesmen to be honest. I was relieved to see Mr Howard, the Press Secretary of Ron Paul.

We are a diverse crowd and that should be reflected in the public space as well. (public space as in the theoretical meaning of "in the open political arena" Habermas) So I was happy to see the video's made by African Americans in response to the racist-attacks. But it can also be done by becoming a journalist. And ofcourse from that it also is imperative to get this diversity into the local, county, state and federal level as elected politicians. Both spheres help eachother in strengthening eachoter. (a little reading about Habermas can be found on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_sphere ).

Oke let me stop here. Maybe I should open a new thread or write a blog post about this :p Sorry for me ranting :) I was just getting excited because of you! :D

Thanks for the kind words! And yes, it is something I've thought about. I'm not quite ready yet though.

PursuePeace
01-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah, and she's in her 80s, African American and voted for Obama last go round. Demographically she's the last person one would expect to be a Ron Paul supporter. And she told me that my brother just told her that while he's still planning to vote for Obama in the general, he's going to cross over and vote for Ron Paul in the primary. Just thought folks would like a feel good story. ;)

Made me smile. :)
Thanks for sharing this.

A. Havnes
01-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Excellent job! Just saying, you sure are a persuasive person.

tremendoustie
01-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Awesome!

But your statement about demographics is not true, actually -- RP does best of any candidate among minorities.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
My mom, also an ardent Democrat Obama lover, called to congratulate me on Ron Paul's success in Iowa. She said Santorum won't be around long and that it's a two man race between Romney and Paul.

Something big is happening!

european
01-05-2012, 12:06 PM
My mom, also an ardent Democrat Obama lover, called to congratulate me on Ron Paul's success in Iowa. She said Santorum won't be around long and that it's a two man race between Romney and Paul.

Something big is happening!

How come you haven't "converted" her yet? Maybe take some classes from jmdrake :D

ps. I think she is right it is a 2 men race at this moment. Now we have to keep it going and go the extra mile.

seapilot
01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I went to pick up my father at a mid-care home today to take him to lunch. An older man (mid 70ish) was reading the political section of the newspaper in the lobby. I asked him if he watched the Caucus voting last night and he affirmed that he had. I also asked him if he had a favored candidate. When he told me that he liked "Paul's" platform, I thought I would faint. With all the MSM bad press, I did not expect to hear this but wanted to share the news.

The bottom line is that while RP did not "win" Iowa, it placed him on the radar screen of a lot of Americans to give him a serious look!

I agree. Even though many had their hearts set on First or a close second, we were not that far behind coming in third. People that are not focused as we are on Ron Paul did take notice. It is starting to dispel the idea that if they vote for him they are wasting their vote. It is changing to if they vote for him he could win!

What the media establishment is very afraid of is losing control of the perpetuating myth of him not being electable.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-05-2012, 12:37 PM
How come you haven't "converted" her yet? Maybe take some classes from jmdrake :D

ps. I think she is right it is a 2 men race at this moment. Now we have to keep it going and go the extra mile.

Because she makes everything EXTREMELY personal. If I try and talk to her about anything she disagrees with she gets so defensive that she brings up past family bull crap. If I talk about something she doesn't understand she just says she doesn't care.

roversaurus
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I too have gotten many people telling me that were surprised at how well Paul did.

THAT has shocked me. I was so disappointed. I guess the "he can't win" mantra was really imbedded in peoples heads. Add that to 3 weeks of constant negative media AND add that to what looks to me like horrible problems in the Iowa get out the vote (I called for hours Monday and never once got through. I heard it was broken on Monday ... how many votes did we lose just to that!)

To me those 3 things should be solved. I don't think we're getting more negative press. I sure hope Phone from Home works this time and people are really looking at him because of his good showing... It might be good in New Hampshire.