PDA

View Full Version : US Mililtarism Destroying Local Organic Food Sources in Favor of Big Ag

Created4
01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
As we educate people on the failures of our militarism in nation-building around the world, this is one issue very few are aware of since the MSM does not cover it. If anyone has an account on Daily Paul, please post this article there as well.

Quote:

Lost in the current debate regarding U.S. foreign policy in this current election cycle, is the question of how our military involvement in the Middle East has affected the local populations, particularly their native agriculture. Unfortunately, this is a story that is largely ignored by the mainstream media.

In Iraq, for example, the U.S. basically wiped out local native agriculture, which was primarily sustainable, and replaced it with the same Big Ag policies and practices that now dominate U.S. agriculture. Instead of native heirloom crops, genetically modified seeds were imported and used to replace crops that have been grown for centuries in what was once the “fertile crescent.” Watch this short video and see how for the first time in history, the people of Iraq are not able to feed themselves:

Read the rest and watch the videos here: http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/us-foreign-policy-destroys-native-sustainable-agriculture/

Slobodan
01-04-2012, 12:59 PM
We need to make a bigger deal about organic sustainable farming. Big agro is trying to lobby small farmers out of business. We need to make that an issue of liberty!

Created4
01-04-2012, 05:54 PM
We need to make a bigger deal about organic sustainable farming. Big agro is trying to lobby small farmers out of business. We need to make that an issue of liberty!

They're not lobbying in Iraq and Afghanistan. They're just taking over and installing Big Ag execs to implement GMO terminator seeds. This is the first time in the history of Iraq that they cannot feed themselves, but are reliant on cheap imports (subsidized by our tax dollars!!)

Intoxiklown
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
If this can be tied to any of the candidates (votes, support, ect), it is a major gut punch for them in the southern states.

Created4
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM
If this can be tied to any of the candidates (votes, support, ect), it is a major gut punch for them in the southern states.

Peter Van Buren's book is very explosive. It really shows how we completely destroyed Iraq's infrastructure, and then wasted billions of dollars to try and fix it according to western standards. So anybody who was in favor for the war in Iraq, or to keep funding the occupation, is guilty. Ron Paul is the only candidate that voted against the war. Any ties to Big Ag like Monsanto or Cargill would be directly involved here.

NYgs23
01-04-2012, 06:07 PM
States love everything big, centralized, and homogeneous. Easier to control.

amy31416
01-04-2012, 06:12 PM
So they must have GMO seeds that thrive in depleted uranium. Tasty.

ETA: Watching the video--our gov't implemented a law that prevented Iraqis from saving their own seeds? WTF!!! Those are ancient strains of plant life. :mad:

Created4
01-04-2012, 06:38 PM

ETA: Watching the video--our gov't implemented a law that prevented Iraqis from saving their own seeds? WTF!!! Those are ancient strains of plant life. :mad:

Yes. Most people don't realize that genetically modified seeds are "terminator" seeds. They cannot be reproduced. So once a farmer switches over, they have to keep coming back to Monsanto, Dow, Cargill, etc. to buy their seeds. Of course after one season they will see the seeds are vastly inferior than their native seeds, so they don't allow them to save the seeds to begin with.

Working Poor
01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
heart breaking

FordGTGuy
01-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Genetically modified crops are safer, grow more abundant, grow in more extreme places and in larger amounts. If it wasn't for genetically advanced crops about a billion people that are alive today would be dead from starvation from countries including China and India.

Evidence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jq4DGEn9Is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GZckAfFTYE

unknown
01-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I recall an article at the time which said that GMO crops were actually a requirement written into the Iraqi "constitution"...

I guess thats what we define as "freedom".

LibertyOrDeath1776
01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
As an organic horticulturalist I cannot emphasis to you guys enough how dangerous Monsanto and other big agri giants are to the US and other nations. Literally whole species are being wiped out from the food chain and because of Monsanto practices farmers who choose to grow heirloom are being wipe out. Ron Paul has always been a big defender of locally grown produce. Do not let these mega corporations win with their Gestapo tactics. The repercussions will be horrible not only for the farmers but for the American people as a whole.

amy31416
01-04-2012, 08:10 PM
As an organic horticulturalist I cannot emphasis to you guys enough how dangerous Monsanto and other big agri giants are to the US and other nations. Literally whole species are being wiped out from the food chain and because of Monsanto practices farmers who choose to grow heirloom are being wipe out. Ron Paul has always been a big defender of locally grown produce. Do not let these mega corporations win with their Gestapo tactics. The repercussions will be horrible not only for the farmers but for the American people as a whole.

I'm a chemist, not even a horticulturist/agriculturist or botanist--but it's insanely simple to see how these things can go dangerously wrong. This needs to be stopped domestically and in foreign countries.

amy31416
01-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Genetically modified crops are safer, grow more abundant, grow in more extreme places and in larger amounts. If it wasn't for genetically advanced crops about a billion people that are alive today would be dead from starvation from countries including China and India.

Evidence:

Look deeper into potential future effects.

StilesBC
01-04-2012, 08:14 PM
One thing we forget (because we're ignorant anglophiles) is that local populations do know about this stuff. They read about it in their own papers. And they resent the USA because of it. Families get destroyed by this kind of stuff.

When we talk about blowback from dropping bombs on other people, it is important we mention the other ways in which the west infuriates the 3rd world. Not only in agriculture, but we also mandate that they raise their taxes to help pay for the infrastructure we've blown up. In finance we demand that they set up fractional reserve systems, holding USD reserves. So when the US inflates, they have to devalue in kind, creating food and energy inflation. Only they already spend 70-80% of their incomes on these things. The IMF and World Bank are often party to these atrocities. And these people aren't stupid. They know exactly how badly "we" are abusing them.

Danke
01-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I recall an article at the time which said that GMO crops were actually a requirement written into the Iraqi "constitution"...

I guess thats what we define as "freedom".

This is what happens when you hate us for our freedoms.

StilesBC
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Evidence:

GMO crops have their place in a free market. But when they so massively infringe on property rights to "mandate" them, they become illegitimate.

Don't fall for the phony corporatist line of defending free markets (eg. Romney, Obama). Advocating for and prohibiting are both equally interventionist and anti-market government policies.

Danke
01-04-2012, 09:55 PM

That's why I'm stocking up on Tabasco sauce.

FordGTGuy
01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Look deeper into potential future effects.

Increased fertility and less diseases? You do realize that nature itself has been genetically modifying these plants over time? If there were major effects like the ones claimed they would be seen in India, China and most definitely America. These are the places that use genetically altered and pesticide farming.

What's next are we going to attack medicine for their advances also?

GMO crops have their place in a free market. But when they so massively infringe on property rights to "mandate" them, they become illegitimate.

Don't fall for the phony corporatist line of defending free markets (eg. Romney, Obama). Advocating for and prohibiting are both equally interventionist and anti-market government policies.

I didn't say anywhere that I was defending their policy but I can't sit by why people talk about organic food like it's the greatest thing ever created. Also Bullshit, the show I linked, is hosted by libertarians.

Organic food can be dangerous, it is only grown in fertilizer made with cow crap and they do nothing to keep bugs away, they also do not clean the food after grown.

milo10
01-05-2012, 09:54 AM

+rep. I wish Ron and the campaign would cover this more.

FordGTGuy
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
You guys really need to take a step back and look what genetically altered food as done for the world. If you want to get rid of genetically altered food you might as well get rid of medicine while you're at it. Monsanto sells the seeds they do not grow them, locally grown produce can be grown using their seeds.

Genetically altered produce hurting people is as fake as global warming and anti-vaccines.

Organic farmers use old school pesticides that are far more dangerous than the modern version.

Mini-Me
01-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Evidence:

Perhaps, but here's the rub: Big agribusiness, like Monsanto, is using the federal government's regulatory agencies to shut down their competition (small farms are even raided by SWAT teams sometimes). The "terminator" genes have the potential to wipe out the world's food supply, especially given cross-contamination issues...and speaking of cross-contamination, Monsanto is abusing patents to shut down small farmers whose farms are contaminated with patented GMO seeds, which Monsanto deliberately sprays from trucks. We're also looking at potential trade wars fought on Monsanto's behalf.

Ultimately, Monsanto's goal is to have a complete monopoly and protect it on an ongoing basis with the terminator genes, such that no ordinary crop seeds are even available anymore. I have nothing against genetically modified crops in principle, and I think the idea opens up an entire world of possibilities, but what's actually going on (terminator genes combined with the government-assisted eradication of competition) is totally evil, and it has the potential to enslave us at best or wipe out the world's food supply at worst. Some precautions have been taken to avoid the end of civilization (some ordinary seeds have been stored in a vault in Antarctica, just in case), but that's not exactly reassuring.

FordGTGuy
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Check out Norman Borlaug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvNopv9Pa8

Perhaps, but here's the rub: Big agribusiness, like Monsanto, is using the federal government's regulatory agencies to shut down their competition (small farms are even raided by SWAT teams sometimes). The "terminator" genes have the potential to wipe out the world's food supply, especially given cross-contamination issues...and speaking of cross-contamination, Monsanto is abusing patents to shut down small farmers whose farms are contaminated with patented GMO seeds, which Monsanto deliberately sprays from trucks. We're also looking at potential trade wars fought on Monsanto's behalf.

Ultimately, Monsanto's goal is to have a complete monopoly and protect it on an ongoing basis with the terminator genes, such that no ordinary crop seeds are even available anymore. I have nothing against genetically modified crops in principle, but what's actually going on (terminator genes combined with the government-assisted eradication of competition) is totally evil, and it has the potential to enslave us at best or wipe out the world's food supply at worst. Some precautions have been taken to avoid the end of civilization (some ordinary seeds have been stored in a vault in Antarctica, just in case), but that's not exactly reassuring.

I'm not defending Monsanto's policies just genetically altered food. Plants killing plants even happens in nature, just like animals, it's darwinism. If you went back 10,000 years the plant population would most likely be drastically different(not just in growth).

Mini-Me
01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm not arguing against GMO crops in principle; I think they're a cool idea in general, although I AM concerned about the way current farming methods may be exhausting the soil (which will eventually result in lower yields and starvation if true). Right now though, I'm arguing strictly against Monsanto's specific practices (terminator genes, deliberate cross-contamination, and patent abuse), and the government's practices (overregulation, shutting down small farms, etc.), and the collusion between the two.

FordGTGuy
01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm not arguing against GMO crops in principle. I'm arguing specifically against Monsanto's practices, and the government's practices, and the collusion between the two.

Yeah that should stop, of course anyone here would agree that the government should not be taking part in it.

Mini-Me
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah that should stop, of course anyone here would agree that the government should not be taking part in it.

Cool, I think we're on the same page then. Other than patent abuse/terminator genes/shutdowns/abusive regulations (the law preventing Iraqis from saving their own seeds might take the cake for abusiveness if true...), the only real concern I have regarding current farming practices regards soil exhaustion. Organic farming proponents have been warning people about the soil basically becoming sucked dry of minerals by current practices, such that we'll eventually run out of fertile soil. Are you familiar with this argument, and do you know if there's a viable counterargument?

FordGTGuy
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Cool, I think we're on the same page then. Other than patent abuse/terminator genes/shutdowns/abusive regulations (the law preventing Iraqis from saving their own seeds might take the cake...), the only real concern I have regarding current farming practices regards soil exhaustion. Organic farming proponents have been warning people about the soil basically becoming sucked dry of minerals by current practices, such that we'll eventually run out of fertile soil. Are you familiar with this argument, and do you know if there's a viable counterargument?

This has already happened in America, Dust bowl anyone? Genetically Engineered crops can grow more with less effect on the soil and in harsher conditions, organic farming is what caused the dust bowl, people farmed the top soil until the fertility was gone, now thanks to advances in technology the same place that was once a dust bowl is growing crops again.

Also losing fertility in top soil has more to do with farmer actions rather than the crop. Just as a side note, since organic farming yields less food more farming is required this increases fertility loss.

Mini-Me
01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
This has already happened in America, Dust bowl anyone? Genetically Engineered crops can grow more with less effect on the soil and in harsher conditions, organic farming is what caused the dust bowl, people farmed the top soil until the fertility was gone, now thanks to advances in technology the same place that was once a dust bowl is growing crops again.

Also losing fertility in top soil has more to do with farmer actions rather than the crop. Just as a side note, since organic farming yields less food more farming is required this increases fertility loss.

Interesting. We need to get BenIsForRon in here and square you two off in a debate. ;)

ds21089
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Tons of studies have conclusively shown that GMO crops have caused organ failure in lab rats. You'd think there'd be some precaution before rapidly spreading it around the world.. But of course not. This is a genius plan of population control all the while looking like "heroes who are making the world never go hungry" Oh please. Wake up and smell the coffee. When has the government ever done anything beneficial for us lately? Why do you think they'd change all of a sudden? This is intended for a massive depopulation globally. At the very best, we'll all just have organ failures and pay up to big pharma IF we are able to be saved at all.

It's been said many times that the end of the world would be brought upon through pestilence. With all these chemical sprays, radiation, and poisoning of the food, I can certainly believe those claims to be true.

GMOs are safe? Hahaha. When I see all the elite rich people eating cheap, crummy food on a regular basis which isn't purely organic (since only they can afford it due to them increasing the price of it by diminishing the supply via regulations and aiding Monsanto) only THEN will I trust it.

blazeKing
01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
GMO is not natural selection...natural selection is a common ancestor reproducing billions of times in specific conditions with genetic variations and mutations that leads, many times over millions of years, to new species.

A bunch of greedy scientists in a lab messing with the genes of plants is not natural but it is selection. And there is no long term studies done on the effects on humans or the environment. And if those organisms get on my property, then I should have the right to sue the people who made that for infringing on my environment. As it is right now, they will actually SUE YOU if their stuff gets on your property. That's big government / corporate power combining for ya.

amy31416
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Increased fertility and less diseases? You do realize that nature itself has been genetically modifying these plants over time? If there were major effects like the ones claimed they would be seen in India, China and most definitely America. These are the places that use genetically altered and pesticide farming.

It rapidly changes the genetic makeup of crops that have been slowly selected over thousands of years, both naturally and by farmers. And these are not normal genetic changes likely to happen in nature.

What I dislike about them is not the GMO crops themselves, but the companies behind them that FORCE their seeds on farmers and get politicians to write laws that force them to not use their own natural varieties (in case you missed it, the US wrote a law for Iraq that it is illegal for them to save seeds from a crop.) These same companies also sue farmers for patent infringement when their products contaminate fields. The cross-pollination from Southern US states is contaminating ancient strains of Mexican corn, and there seems to be little recourse for a farmer.

It seems that you also haven't heard about the insects and diseases that are developing resistance to Roundup--now what? What if a company like Monsanto massively lessens the diversity of localized crops so they all use the same product, which can all be wiped out by the same organism? How is a massive lack in genetic diversity in food plants a good thing again?

Like I said, think about this a little more.

blazeKing
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
They now are using a variation of agent orange to spray crops that have been manipulated by white coats to resist agent orange. Do you want to live downwind of a farm that sprays agent orange on their crops? Would you want to eat those crops?

FordGTGuy
01-05-2012, 11:00 AM
It rapidly changes the genetic makeup of crops that have been slowly selected over thousands of years, both naturally and by farmers. And these are not normal genetic changes likely to happen in nature.

What I dislike about them is not the GMO crops themselves, but the companies behind them that FORCE their seeds on farmers and get politicians to write laws that force them to not use their own natural varieties (in case you missed it, the US wrote a law for Iraq that it is illegal for them to save seeds from a crop.) These same companies also sue farmers for patent infringement when their products contaminate fields. The cross-pollination from Southern US states is contaminating ancient strains of Mexican corn, and there seems to be little recourse for a farmer.

It seems that you also haven't heard about the insects and diseases that are developing resistance to Roundup--now what? What if a company like Monsanto massively lessens the diversity of localized crops so they all use the same product, which can all be wiped out by the same organism? How is a massive lack in genetic diversity in food plants a good thing again?

Like I said, think about this a little more.

They are developing a resistance to the pesticides still used by organic farmers. BTW I said it before I am not defending Monsanto's practices.

Every time a plant reproduces it changes it's DNA, GE takes the best traits and makes a new breed. Just as safe as any other out there, they just produce more in harsher conditions in a larger amount. These are normal changes found in nature, they are just spread out, GE takes these genes and puts them in a single plant.

They now are using a variation of agent orange to spray crops that have been manipulated by white coats to resist agent orange. Do you want to live downwind of a farm that sprays agent orange on their crops? Would you want to eat those crops?

Although what you said is most likely something you heard from mass media and is bull. Yes I would, I would also eat cloned meat and as long as the spray does no harm to humans I would gladly live down wind from a farm using it. Although America is big enough that I don't have to.

Remember organic farmers use older and more dangerous pesticides.

amy31416
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
They are developing a resistance to the pesticides still used by organic farmers. BTW I said it before I am not defending Monsanto's practices.

Every time a plant reproduces it changes it's DNA, GE takes the best traits and makes a new breed. Just as safe as any other out there, they just produce more in harsher conditions in a larger amount. These are normal changes found in nature, they are just spread out, GE takes these genes and puts them in a single plant.

I know how genetics works.

I'm correct in stating the dangers of homogenizing the genetic makeup of food crops around the world, and you haven't negated that at all. Roundup ready soybeans are insanely unlikely to occur in nature.

nbhadja
01-05-2012, 11:52 AM
GMO foods are poisonous and do cause major organ failure. That is a fact.

I will debate anyone to death on that.

Also the US department of ag has funded GMO spermicide corn as a means of covert population control in 3rd world countries.

William Engdahl wrote in March of 2010 about a USDA funded project to create a GM corn that sterilizes people.GMO, glyphosate and population reduction

One long-standing project of the US Government has been to perfect a genetically-modified variety of corn, the diet staple in Mexico and many other Latin American countries. The corn has been field tested in tests financed by the US Department of Agriculture along with a small California bio-tech company named Epicyte. Announcing his success at a 2001 press conference, the president of Epicyte, Mitch Hein, pointing to his GMO corn plants, announced, “We have a hothouse filled with corn plants that make anti-sperm antibodies.” 14
Hein explained that they had taken antibodies from women with a rare condition known as immune infertility, isolated the genes that regulated the manufacture of those infertility antibodies, and, using genetic engineering techniques, had inserted the genes into ordinary corn seeds used to produce corn plants. In this manner, they have produced a concealed contraceptive embedded in corn meant for human consumption. “Essentially, the antibodies are attracted to surface receptors on the sperm,” said Hein. “They latch on and make each sperm so heavy it cannot move forward. It just shakes about as if it was doing the lambada.”15 Hein claimed it was a possible solution to world “over-population.” The moral and ethical issues of feeding it to humans in Third World, poor countries without their knowing could [lead to global murder.]The questions raised by “[s]permicides hidden in GMO corn provided to starving Third World populations through the generosity of the Gates’ foundation, Rockefeller Foundation and Kofi Annan’s AGRA” are many and profound.

nbhadja
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
FordGTGuy, you are confusing what GMO is. GMO is not in any way natural. Selective breeding is not GMO.

They are changing the DNA of the food and putting pesticide in it so you are eating pesticide. No wonder it has been proven without a doubt that GMO causes organ failure since the pesticide accumulates in your body over time.

In the above article about spermicide corn, they changed the DNA of corn and put the spermicide in it. That is extremely dangerous and not in any way natural. When you eat that corn it attacks your sperm cells. Similarly, when you eat the Monsanto GMO corn you are eating the pesticide with it.