PDA

View Full Version : Gatewood Galbraith passed away, aged 64.

Captain Caveman
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Gatewood was a Kentucky guy who was pretty well liked by all that met him, including those who disagreed with him on all manners of things.

I mostly posted this for the Kentuckians around here...

http://state-journal.com/news/article/5142695

Perennial political candidate Gatewood Galbraith died Tuesday night in Lexington. He was 64.

Dea Riley, Galbraith’s running mate in November’s gubernatorial election, told The State Journal this morning that Galbraith had a serious cold in the last few days.

He’d told her over the phone that it was “the sickest he’d ever been in his life,” she said.

Riley says Galbraith had been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the past and may have also suffered from emphysema.

“It really happened very quickly, I think,” she said.

Gov. Steve Beshear released a statement today about his former political opponent.

"Jane and I were shocked and saddened to learn of Gatewood’s passing," Beshear wrote. "He was a gutsy, articulate and passionate advocate who never shied away from a challenge or potential controversy.

"His runs for office prove he was willing to do more than just argue about the best direction for the state – he was willing to serve, and was keenly interested in discussing issues directly with our citizens. He will be missed.”

Galbraith, a Lexington lawyer, was perhaps best known for his humor, advocacy of hemp farming and the legalization of marijuana. Riley said Galbraith discovered the drug when it was recommended he try it to help with his asthma.

He was a five-time candidate for Kentucky governor, and in the November election, he came in third behind Beshear and Republican David Williams, the state senate president.

Riley said she had planned to call Galbraith this morning to see how he was feeling, but before she could pick up the phone, she saw an incoming call from his phone number on her cell phone screen.

That made her hopeful, for an instant, before she heard his daughter Abby’s voice on the other end of the line.

“That’s when I knew,” she said, from the car on her way to Lexington to be with his family.

Riley says what she will remember most about her friend and running mate is his fierce independence.

“He really was the last free man in America,” she said. “But something that really went unnoted about Gatewood is that he was just a genuinely good person, and I don’t think people really realized that about him.

“This is truly a loss for Kentucky.”

Galbraith leaves behind three daughters.

Captain Caveman
01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lk_zre3enc

TheDriver
01-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Good man! R.I.P!

jkr
01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
may you find the peace you craved

specsaregood
01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Dea Riley, Galbraith’s running mate in November’s gubernatorial election, told The State Journal this morning that Galbraith had a serious cold in the last few days.

He’d told her over the phone that it was “the sickest he’d ever been in his life,” she said.

Man, I've had that same cold twice this year, absolutely horrible. find yourself too weak to get up and answer the phone even.

Sola_Fide
01-04-2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/obituaries/9810563-418/kentucky-governor-running-mate-gatewood-galbraith-dead.html

ZanZibar
01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
This guy was a firecracker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn0Skub12B4

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Galbraith ran on a 'legalize marijuana' platform, over and over and over again. This really is a loss for Kentuckians.

Sola_Fide
01-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Gatewood was a Kentucky institution for many years. I voted for him in this past governors race. Glad to say I did.

yatez112
01-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Gatewood was a Kentucky institution for many years. I voted for him in this past governors race. Glad to say I did.
I can second this.

I wonder how much Beshear/Williams types think after things like this happens. I hope Gatewood's legacy changes at least some of the politics as usual in Kentucky. I mean, here's a man that stayed the course and was principled, yet the perma-Frankfort types sell their souls the second they can get more power or get another vote. If they have an ounce of integrity, I hope Gatewood's passing makes them reflect.

Captain Caveman
01-05-2012, 07:04 AM
For those of you who don't know Gatewood, here's an excerpt from his autobiography:

But if you did not know me or what I stand for, and if I only had thirty seconds to get your vote, I would have only one question to ask you.

And if you answer this question one way, I've got your vote, no matter what else you think about me.

And if you answer this question the other way, I don't think you understand the question.

The question is, 'Did our forefathers' generation hit the beaches of Normandy and Iwo Jima so that we would have to pee in a cup to hold a job in America?'

The introduction of the police state methods into American culture is fatal to our freedom. The solutions to our problems lie in the words of Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln not Mr. Yamamoto or Helmut Schmidt.

And let's get this straight. I'm not a racist and I'm not xenophobic. I'm a Nationalist.

I'll trade with other countries, I'll have lunch with them and I'll play golf with them. But until they adopt a Constitution and Bill of Rights that gives their own citizens the rights and freedoms we enjoy, they are not our political peers.

If we abandon our principals of individual freedom and dignity, then our liberty and right to self-determination will abandon us. Our standard of living will fall and our jobs will evaporate as our children and grandchildren are thrown open to competition in the workplace with Four Billion other people on the planet, many of whom will work all day for a bowl of rice and a mat to sleep on.

That is not my vision for Kentucky and its citizens. My vision is rooted in the traditions of our Founding Fathers.

As to the size of government, Thomas Jefferson said, 'The least government is the best government.'

As to the role of government, Abraham Lincoln said, 'Prohibition strikes at the very heart of the principles on which this country was founded.'

And as far as having to pee in a cup to hold a job, I look to the words of General George Patton. 'Screw you Nazis!'

Sullivan*
01-05-2012, 07:29 AM
A man after my own heart... R.I.P.

ZanZibar
01-05-2012, 09:21 AM
He sounds like Tommy Lee Jones heh