PDA

View Full Version : What can be done about the power of the media?

Moebedda
01-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Discuss. We have seen how the media has influence over people. To many people can't think for themselves so they turn to the TV for their answers. This is probably the biggest obstacle.

PastaRocket848
01-04-2012, 09:53 AM
nothing at all. we've been fighting this for 4 years, and all it takes is a couple days of pushing a "surge" and we lose. it's depressing, but it's the state of affairs.

tbone717
01-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Nothing can be done in the short term. This is nothing new, politics has been driven by television media since the 1960 Kennedy/Nixon debate.

Trying to change the way the game is played at this stage is like trying to play baseball with a hockey stick. This is the game and you have to play it as it is laid out.

Travlyr
01-04-2012, 09:54 AM
The media is here to stay. Infiltrate.

Liberty74
01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
You put out press releases immediately to counter any BS being thrown around by the media and the candidates. You have to stay on top of the attacks, smears, and lies.

This will also get you some positive press coverage because the media will usually talk about such releases.

An example would be when someone says Paul is unelectable. Hit them with a release showing the truth with facts.

RDM
01-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I had this idea I've been kicking around. We have a great many people here that make great videos. What if a weekly video was made highlighting the distortions, lies and misinformation from all networks. The video could be made like this. First show the lie, distortion, etc. Then show the factual info as a counterpunch. This weekly video could be named something like: The Weekly Media Report - Exposing Lies (W/E (date).

This weekly media report would have its own YouTube Channel with option for subscribers. We could raise money for a press release to announce the site and its purpose. Hopefully it would begin to attract a huge following and go viral.

The mods here could start a new folder that is moderated for submissions. This would keep the chatter down from nonsense posts. This moderated folder would be the folder where people could submit videos or info that they have seen or spotted on TV or internet and that info would be accessed for the video maker(s) in order to compile info for "The Weekly Media Report".

The folder could further have subfolders for each month. This would make it further organized for submissions and for our video makers.

If you guys find this a good idea, lets kick it around with more ideas if anyone has any.

pinkmandy
01-04-2012, 10:29 AM
We need to reach the older people. What do they read? What about senior centers? How do we place factual information in front of them? Isn't there an AARP channel of some sort? Or maybe the Christian television networks? Perhaps some of the professional marketers here have some ideas?

JamesButabi
01-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I say take them head on. Call them out, take offense to the smears, and question their credibility. Not just us either. Ron needs to do it in interviews, Rand needs to do it, Jesse needs to do it. Nothing will ever change if we let them control the dialogue. If we allow this character assassination to continue without recourse.

Get bold.

01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
We need to reach the older people. What do they read? What about senior centers? How do we place factual information in front of them? Isn't there an AARP channel of some sort? Or maybe the Christian television networks? Perhaps some of the professional marketers here have some ideas?

You need to talk to them in person.

raystone
01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
If you take on the media in a combatant stance, you will lose. The campaign needs someone that can expertly play the media - a James Carville type. The campaign needs pithy, positive soundbites that will be picked up by all media outlets and run throughout a media cycle. IMO, something specifically in response to foreign policies questions. e.g., "Dr. Ron Paul will commit to and win a constitutional war with any country that attacks the United States. He nuke Switzerland if need be."

Travlyr
01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Focus on what matters like Ron Paul has done.

Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity. -- Ron Paul

Do you believe in freedom? Are you working diligently for sound money, fully redeemable?

affa
01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
The Internet. New videos.

They own tv. We rule the internet. Anyone exposed to enough Ron Paul learns the truth. Anyone who watches too much tv and doesn't do research learns only their lies.

American Idol
01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
The Old Media's influence is on the decline. They threw everything they had at Paul to prevent him from winning Iowa, and all they got was Paul finishing a strong 3.2% out of the lead.

Tyler_Durden
01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Raycom Media

They own 46 stations throughout the Country. They are the owners of WXiX Fox19. Ben Swann works for FOX19.

http://www.raycommedia.com/locations

Who is Ben Swann? https://www.facebook.com/BenSwannRealityCheck

If Raycom allows Ben Swann such Freedom of the Press, it needs to be encouraged to allow more of it's other stations and journ-lists to do the same.....

gb13
01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Infiltrate.

Dianne
01-04-2012, 11:26 AM
I mentioned in another thread, expose them. Run ads and specifically name and show peeps like Gloria Borger..... make the people understand why he is always under attack.. This is just one example of a serious conflict of interest by so called journalists that must be exposed !!!!

"Gloria Borger is the CNN troll that harangued and harassed Congressman Ron Paul about his newletters, which led to him ending the ambush interview early. As it happens, her husband Lance Morgan works for defense contractor Powell-Tate, which is connected to Newt Gingrich. In lieu of the information dug up by savvy web sleuths, weíre releasing Gloria Borgerís and Lance Morganís personal information for purposes of public importance,

seapilot
01-04-2012, 11:32 AM
The Old Media's influence is on the decline. They threw everything they had at Paul to prevent him from winning Iowa, and all they got was Paul finishing a strong 3.2% out of the lead.

This is the correct answer. Think about compared to 08 Ron Paul voters doubled this time in Iowa. That is 26,000 people that did not fall for the media black out, smears etc. They know the truth and will know that media lies. The media is not stupid and sees the writing on the wall, that is why they are scared. They know that there are a lot of voters out there not buying the corporate fed BS. We need to keep campaigning hard, this is more than an election it is getting people to learn the truth.

I had a gentleman that I talked to in the GOTV in Iowa. He said he knew that the odds of RP winning were low for the nomination but was voting for RP out of principal to keep the idea of freedom alive in this country. When we all completely stop doing that or believing in the ideas of freedom is when we really have lost the race.

LibertyEagle
01-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Get off the internet and start going door-to-door hanging campaign literature on your neighbors' doors. Do it every chance you get.

If you are not already attending your local Republican meetings and know how to become a delegate, do it now.

brushfire
01-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Expose them.

Keep tabs and documentation (video preferably) of their deliberate influence.

It will be difficult, but with just a couple of wins to discredit, followed by the documentation previously mentioned, it is possible to topple their stranglehold on elections.

This is actually why they are so terrified of Ron Paul, and us for that matter.

raystone
01-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Dr. Paul got 11% of the 65+ vote. They only watch Old Media.

LibertyEagle
01-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I mentioned in another thread, expose them. Run ads and specifically name and show peeps like Gloria Borger..... make the people understand why he is always under attack.. This is just one example of a serious conflict of interest by so called journalists that must be exposed !!!!

"Gloria Borger is the CNN troll that harangued and harassed Congressman Ron Paul about his newletters, which led to him ending the ambush interview early. As it happens, her husband Lance Morgan works for defense contractor Powell-Tate, which is connected to Newt Gingrich. In lieu of the information dug up by savvy web sleuths, we’re releasing Gloria Borger’s and Lance Morgan’s personal information for purposes of public importance,

Yeah, but there would really need to be another PAC, that was not tied to Ron Paul in any way, to do this effectively and without blowback.

tempest
01-04-2012, 11:43 AM
nothing at all. we've been fighting this for 4 years, and all it takes is a couple days of pushing a "surge" and we lose. it's depressing, but it's the state of affairs.

Nothing can be done in the short term. This is nothing new, politics has been driven by television media since the 1960 Kennedy/Nixon debate.BS

That's defeatism.

There is an alternative: attack, attack attack including the MEDIA!!!
People don't actually like media. They are addicted to it and watch and read all the stuff out there but that doesn't mean they adore the media in and of itself. Gingrich was on top of the polls going up and up like a shooting star THANKS in no small part to his picking on the media in the debates.

There's no reason why Paul shouldn't do that (in his own calm way). Paul's performance on today's "Fox & Friends" was a good start. Be on the offensive, again and again and again. Not get trapped in denials but attack ALL the time. Be merciless. We have nothing to lose from them (read: they are not gonna be nicer if we are nicer).

Rothbardian Girl
01-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Get out and talk to the old people. I will be canvassing for Ron Paul when I get back to Auburn, and I really want to go see if I can talk with older folks and get them aware of Ron's plans for them. Seriously. The media may be dying for the younger generations, but we need to pick up the dismal numbers with seniors.

SonofThunder
01-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Discuss. We have seen how the media has influence over people. To many people can't think for themselves so they turn to the TV for their answers. This is probably the biggest obstacle.

The answer to this is simple:

The Ron Paul campaign and the super PACs that support Ron Paul need to get aggressive with their messaging and need to have clear, concise plans to address the major issues that face the voters.

They spend too much time, event he good Dr himself, talking about all the problems and all the things the government shouldn't do, etc, etc, etc.

The plan to Restore America was a good start, but unfortunately, that didn't cover all the bases. It addressed the budget and the debt. That's great. It wasn't followed up by practical messages outlining a plan to restore national defense and a plan to save medicare and social security, so this let the media and the GOP fill in the blanks and tell everyone that the plan to Restore America was going to cripple our defense and stop the social security checks.

The way to defeat the media is to generate your own message before they do. The message of the free society is great, but it's not enough. You need to get down to the practical level to reach the voters because the media isn't going to do a thorough analysis of any sort of philosophy, they are only going to spew out concretes, and if you don't provide the concretes, they will invent them.

Liberty4life
01-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I had this idea I've been kicking around. We have a great many people here that make great videos. What if a weekly video was made highlighting the distortions, lies and misinformation from all networks. The video could be made like this. First show the lie, distortion, etc. Then show the factual info as a counterpunch. This weekly video could be named something like: The Weekly Media Report - Exposing Lies (W/E (date).

This weekly media report would have its own YouTube Channel with option for subscribers. We could raise money for a press release to announce the site and its purpose. Hopefully it would begin to attract a huge following and go viral.

The mods here could start a new folder that is moderated for submissions. This would keep the chatter down from nonsense posts. This moderated folder would be the folder where people could submit videos or info that they have seen or spotted on TV or internet and that info would be accessed for the video maker(s) in order to compile info for "The Weekly Media Report".

The folder could further have subfolders for each month. This would make it further organized for submissions and for our video makers.

If you guys find this a good idea, lets kick it around with more ideas if anyone has any.

Lets get the acronym to go viral then people will be curious and investigate it.
TWMR EL or TWMREL

slamhead
01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
As I stated in another thread we need to BLACK THEM OUT!!! Our supporters not identifying themselves should walk right in front of the reporters at these events and with signs that call them out and disrupt any field report they are trying to do, even none political reports.

"OCCUPY THE CAMERA".

jkob
01-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Old Media is on the decline, we just need to continue our presence on the internet and keep talking to people IRL. Its going to take a long time to change people's opinions but in the mean time I like the infiltrate idea.

Jovan Galtic
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
How about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peqnSTBnTVk&feature=player_embedded

MsDoodahs
01-05-2012, 10:08 PM

New ideas, new ways of doing things....they're not easily accepted by older folks who have done it another way their whole lives.

My grandmother cooked on a woodstove and said cooking on an electric stove made the food taste funny. My mom cooked on an electric stove and wouldn't use the microwave even to heat things. I use a microwave.

Each generation gets comfortable with a certain techology and it's not uncommon for them to have trouble with/fail to accept the next new technology.

Apply that to how we get information. Radio....then television....now internet.

The younger generation is comfortable with the net. The older generation...not so much. The pattern is a familiar one.

It is true that the internet can be used to access better, more accurate, more interesting information. It is replacing the television but that transition will not be complete until the older generation dies off.

By then, the younger generation will have some even newer technology that they're using....and you guys will be the oldsters that are clinging to your silly internet for news and information. I know, I know....you're thinking "no way!" Let me assure you - WAY.

So what to do about the power of the media? You wait for television to die, and in the meantime, you guard internet freedom as best you can.

Okie RP fan
01-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I believe the most important thing we can each do is begin explaining and showing proof of the media's bias and assaults. To whom? Our family and friends, it's simple.

Start telling everyone you know to start being skeptical of the media, and show them proof as to why and how they are biased. Just start with family and friends.

Moebedda
01-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I believe the most important thing we can each do is begin explaining and showing proof of the media's bias and assaults. To whom? Our family and friends, it's simple.

Start telling everyone you know to start being skeptical of the media, and show them proof as to why and how they are biased. Just start with family and friends.

This is pretty much what I have been doing. A very good personal approach. It definitely does work.

BUSHLIED
01-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Either create your own media empire or boycott the sponsers of the ABC, CNN, FOX etc....you'll have to have discipline to do it and get many people on board. I am down if someone can post a blog about this listing major media sponsers.

Back In Black
01-06-2012, 10:29 AM
A new channel needs to be created to feature news that's more honest and fair. Get a few big names on there to host, get tons of cash behind to advertise and it'll take off. The goal would be to make it so appealing that it could compete with Fox, CNN, etc.

Travlyr
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM
A new channel needs to be created to feature news that's more honest and fair. Get a few big names on there to host, get tons of cash behind to advertise and it'll take off. The goal would be to make it so appealing that it could compete with Fox, CNN, etc.

That was tried back in the 80's. It is not allowed by the FCC.

RDM
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Well, this suggestion just might be a start. Check this out. How about becoming a Online Radio Host for FREE. BlogTalkRadio has this to offer. Here's the details: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/whatis.aspx

dfalken
01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Every 4 years a bunch of old people die off and 4 years worth of new people reach voting age, it is a losing game eventually for the mainstream and especially the media.

Back In Black
01-06-2012, 12:40 PM
That was tried back in the 80's. It is not allowed by the FCC.

What rule are you referring to?

Back In Black
01-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, this suggestion just might be a start. Check this out. How about becoming a Online Radio Host for FREE. BlogTalkRadio has this to offer. Here's the details: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/whatis.aspx

You work for the company? lol

It's a nice idea, but we need something to hit a large audience.

Matthanuf06
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Take a page out of the Cain playbook. Paul can be too academic. Simplify the message, sloganize it, make it understandable, and push it. The media can hate you all you want, but if you can push an understood slogan, then people can latch onto it. Take 9-9-9, every pundit said it was retarded, yet it latched on.

Kevin Smyth
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Every 4 years a bunch of old people die off and 4 years worth of new people reach voting age, it is a losing game eventually for the mainstream and especially the media.

That's right, it is simply the best natural process that favors us on this issue.

AdamT
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Money is what keeps them going. Money comes from advertisers. Boycott advertisers. End of story.

heavenlyboy34
01-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I've heard that letters to the Editor of newspapers makes a bit of impact, FWIW.

RDM
01-06-2012, 12:52 PM
You work for the company? lol

It's a nice idea, but we need something to hit a large audience.

No, I stumbled upon it yesterday when I saw that the band Golden State did a live interview with a host by the name of Billy Montana and they were talking about Ron Paul. Here's the interview link. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?347049-Golden-State-Band-on-BlogTalkRadio-talking-Ron-Paul

wsc321
01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
This may sound simple, but...

I think the campaign should consider making an ad out of all the media clips saying, "He can't win", "He's outside of the mainstream", "He's unelectable"... over, and over, and over, with patriotic music (orchestral with a warm, uplifting line in the brass) gently swelling in the background, then a conclusion:

"America... the media has spoken. Now, what will you say?"

America loves an underdog, and no other candidate could take this approach to a commercial.

What do you thin?

unknown
01-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Honestly, door to door canvassing.

If nothing else, simply handing out DVDs of videos that they can pop into their DVD player.

A_Silent_Majority_Member
01-06-2012, 01:49 PM
heh... maybe this is too simple? Get a pac or start a non profit org to hire some principled private investigators and publish the heck out of their findings everywhere. Also couldnt hurt to allocate some cash as a reward incentive to any insiders willing to blow the whistle.

libertygrl
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Money is what keeps them going. Money comes from advertisers. Boycott advertisers. End of story.

EXACTLY.

Moebedda
01-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Boycott the stations. They will go the way of the newspaper if we simply refuse to watch. I know a lot of people need to see what is current. You'll see people posting on these boards and in the chat room about upcoming Ron Paul events on CNN or FOX etc. and everyone flocks to thier TV sets to watch. Since I refuse to support them, I wait for the tube. I suggest people start to take a proactive stance to boycott the MSM and remind others to so the same.

tbone717
01-07-2012, 08:41 AM
All of the "boycott", "infiltrate", "attack" posts are good for the long haul (that's the stuff we should have been doing for the last 4 years). The reality is that we are a few days away from NH, a couple weeks from SC, FL, NV, and within a few months this thing will be all over. So as it stands now, we have to work within the arena that we are in. We do not have the luxury of time to unravel the corporate media structure that is currently in place. Even if every single RP grassroots supporter would boycott the media and all their sponsors it would only put a small dent in their revenues.

The time for major cultural changes is in the future, the time for winning elections is now. Keep your priorities in order. Focus on what we can do in the short term and worry about the long term goals when we have the luxury of time on our side.

goldpants
01-07-2012, 08:53 AM

"Gloria Borger is the CNN troll that harangued and harassed Congressman Ron Paul about his newletters, which led to him ending the ambush interview early. As it happens, her husband Lance Morgan works for defense contractor Powell-Tate, which is connected to Newt Gingrich. In lieu of the information dug up by savvy web sleuths, weíre releasing Gloria Borgerís and Lance Morganís personal information for purposes of public importance,

A concerned citizens group for ethics in broadcast journalism could sponsor web shows, tabloid magazine, etc. in which these seedy background stories are exposed. People love to get the low down like this, the Borger expose would lead other tv "reporters/pundits" reporting fairly or understanding they may be next. Ladies and gentlemen tune in tomorrow for the secret reason why Erin Burnett throws up in her mouth everytime Ron Paul is mentioned in a positive light and why she loves corporate bailout. I guarantee there are a LOT of juicy stories involving our tv news providers and their former employers, their spouses employers, organizations they belong to, etc. It may seem mean at first glance but when you consider the power they wield on much of their audience, the way they shape the collective of entire voting segments as to what to think then it really could be necessary.

goldpants
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Alright with this newest stunt by cnn this morning involving the mandarin crap, it seems my idea may need to become a reality.

mmadness
01-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Sounds like someone has to pull a "V for Vendetta" and hack some TV stations. ;)

Arklatex
01-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't know but we are the king makers.

ptruthp34
01-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Can we start a website that targets the sponsors of the worst offending TV shows? Every day we add a company to the list to BOYCOTT. And spread far and wide on social media and become as viral as possible. Would there be blowback or a backlash from this?

Brick-in-the-Wall
01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Honestly, you need a George Carlin or Bill Hicks, on your side. You need somebody so big, people will listen, and outside the influence of the media. Carlin called out the media several times, Gulf War 1, and he was loved and people listened.

Jon Stewart helps but he'd need to do bi-weekly stories and even then his left leaning audience don't like Paul all that much. They sure didn't like Judge.

Think about it, if Carlin were here and said, "What you're doing to Paul is fucking bull shit!" People would stop and listen, even if the media didn't because his influence was massive.

You need somebody like that on your side.

Travlyr
01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Dr. Paul got 11% of the 65+ vote. They only watch Old Media.
This is a myth.

AllAboard
01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
The only real way to combat the media is to have an alternative unaffiliated news source. In my opinion, the internet seems to be the only way to get alternative news out to the public. It would be nice to have an independent radio or video outlet, but unfortunately it depends on how well the FCC may crack down on the internet. And it would still cost money to set up and maintain, so it would be difficult to run a free web stream that would compete with the major tv outlets.

ptruthp34
01-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Once a week we run a video showing the most egregious media bias, then show the corporate logo to their biggest sponsor with a big red "X" and add them to the list. If everyone in the movement adheres to the boycott, we could hurt them in their pockets a bit, and provide some bad PR. If they want war, let's give them one.

Unless you think this will create outright hostilities and blowback with the media that we don't want...

Tyler_Durden
01-09-2012, 09:20 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?346193-Raycom-Media-A-Possible-Ally

Raycom Media

They own 46 stations throughout the Country. They are the owners of WXIX Fox19. Ben Swann works for FOX19 in Cincinnati,OH.

http://www.raycommedia.com/locations

Who is Ben Swann? https://www.facebook.com/BenSwannRealityCheck

If Raycom allows Ben Swann such Freedom of the Press, it should to be encouraged to allow more of it's other stations and journalists to do the same.....

Barrex
01-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Defetism grinds my gears sooooooo much......There is always something that can be done.

For original poster:

I had few idas ad am collecting other people ideas what can be done:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?336771-MSM-blackout-COUNTERATACK-%28contingency-plan%29-aka-quot-stick-it-to-them-quot-aka-quot-bitter-pill-quot-...

Few things:
-boycott sponsors of shows that are anti Ron
-stop visiting web pages and watching MSM media...
-infojam: spam information on medias pages (facebook,twitter,youtube etc...)
-mailing media and their sponsors your disapproval or their actions.
-give negative rewievs of persons books on amazon and works other sites (me like this one fun and "evil" ) and positive to friends
-post on forums about ron paul (we are most active online anyway)
-send news to local media (they will publish it)
-ask for your local conservative station to put friendly shows instead "others"(like replacing Mark Levin with Jerry Doyle)
-letters to the Editor of newspapers
Please dont post in my thread. I dont want to steal thread.

pinkmandy
01-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Once a week we run a video showing the most egregious media bias, then show the corporate logo to their biggest sponsor with a big red "X" and add them to the list. If everyone in the movement adheres to the boycott, we could hurt them in their pockets a bit, and provide some bad PR. If they want war, let's give them one.

Unless you think this will create outright hostilities and blowback with the media that we don't want...

I like this idea. We were trying to compile media bias in a thread last week or so and it's very overwhelming- it's so much! I like this once/week idea and we can all promote the site. I think a site would be good with once/week videos as well as short articles describing the lies w/links for those who do not or cannot watch videos (slow connections, some people more likely to read than invest time in a video, etc.). JiminNY was setting up a site already, maybe we could use that? This is something we were trying to do in regards to exposing their bias, their connections, etc. and we can still work on that as a sidebar but we really need to get info out to people asap and I don't think we have time to diligently research each talking head to expose them. There are just too many of them and when you add in all the "strategists" and "experts" (lobbyists and special interests) it's a lot for just a few people.

Here is the thread which also has a link to the site Jim is working on:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?341542-Exposing-the-hacks

We need to come together and get something out there to counteract this stuff fast and then blast the site all over the internet. I suck w/making videos but am more than happy to do a write-up for videos posted and compile articles showcasing the bias, lies, smears, etc. This is more than a 1 or 2 person job imo. It's something we need to streamline so we can get it done quickly and smoothly.

AllAboard
01-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Also it may not be much, but I think talking about the news a spreading ideas by word of mouth can be effective. Those who advocate for liberty can continue to talk with their family/friends/neighbors about politics or events of the day. Hopefully whether they agree or not, the ones you talk to might weight your opinions more than they would a media source.