PDA

View Full Version : ** Critical ** re Dec 16 ** please read

Mav
11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I finally have access to the Teapart07 website.

I know everyone has an opinion, and mine is no better that yours. But I am a professional business consultant with expertise in these matters. I humbly request you consider my recommendations:

First, the site layout looks fine. But there is no mention whatsoever of Ron Paul's position on the matter at hand, namely the "so called" inflation tax. The true measure of success for Dec 16th will be total money raised AND new donors. If you don't explain Paul's policy, you are losing an opportunity to help find new donors. Moreover, it is Ron Paul's message that resonates with people - NOT the revolution. The revolution is only a catchy political slogan. I highly encourage you to consider Paul's message.

I would do several things to address the deficiency.

One, I would be happy to draft language summarizing Paul's position on monetary policy. This is crucial to link Paul's campaign platform to the Tea Party theme. It is also highly relevany given recent news.

I would also include an "introductory" video. I prefer "Ron Paul - A New Hope"

I would HIGHLY encourange you to eliminate the conspiracy theory video at the bottom of the web site. You may agree with it. But it's FAR from mainstream and it runs the risk of alienating potential new donors. If I'm a mainstream voter I want nothing to do with anarchists or conspiracy theories or marginal scare tactics. The media feeds off of painting Paulites as nut jobs anyway. Let's not give them more ammo.

I would also include video of Ron confornting Bernanke yesterday.

And I would include Paul's discussion of monetary policy with Kudlow & Company, also from yesterday.

These changes will change the "flavor" of the site from one that emphasizes the money bomb gimmick to one that emphasizes Ron Paul's campaign platform.

Finally, I would eliminate the daily emails. I don't want or need to be spammed. Instead, send several reminders as the date approaches.

Last, I do not want to diminish the success of the Nov 5th event by calling the "money bomb" idea a gimmick. It point of fact, it was genious. But if you take the attention away from Paul's monetry policy, your doing his campaign a dis-service.

Said, another way, if I'm new to Ron Paul, I'm not going to give the man a dime because you "everyone" want to protest some kooky idea of an inflation tax I've never heard of. But I will give Paul a lot of money if I know what the inflation tax is, and if I agree with his monetary policy.

KewlRonduderules
11-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Lots of good points in this person's statement.

Thanks and welcome to the forums.

:)

Mckarnin
11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I like the way you think. I think thisNovember5th had a lot of support from pre-existing RonPaul supporters and the new people were largely hand ushered in by live Ron Paul supporters. With the publicity this fundraiser is getting we will almost certainly have a lot of RonPaul virgins showing up at the TeaParty07. com site. We need to have the site set up so that it will easily usher these newbies in and show them his views so they can make a decision for themselves.

max
11-09-2007, 03:00 PM
get rid of that stuff about the inflation tax...monetary policy will not juice up the ignorant masses

nobody understand what you're talking about...

the theme should be anti-high taxes..anti corruption...anti-war...

I love you guys but this makes no sense at all to paint this as an anti Federal Resrve effort when the masses are cluless about inflation...

stick with the simple stuff

Mav
11-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Max - I agree with you, to a degree. I think it's about messaging. A hard core technical discussion of monetary policy is probably beyond he scope of most casual voters. But the issue is particularly relevant in light of recent financial news. And it also fits nicely with the Tea Party theme.

I think you can position Paul's monetary policy in rather simple terms ... in fact, you can use Paul's own words. Rather than use a headline like MONETARY POLICY, you can frame a question that everyone who visits the site may be interest in. For example:

Question: Who is a typical Ron Paul donor?

Answer: Ron Paul supporters are not typical, and they're proud of it. We talk about it all the time—freedom brings diversity. It brings people together. Big government divides us, and we become competitive, and we fight over the spoils. That's why you have lobbyists in Washington fighting over money. It was fine when everybody thought there was endless wealth in this country. But today people, down deep in their heart, they know there's something wrong. And they know one of the best measurements of a country that is losing its wealth is when their currency declines in value.

Ron Paul has been talking about currency values since the very first time he ran for office. The monetary issue motivated him. And it's all coming together now.

Welfare spending at home, militarism, nation building -- US foreign policy is bringing the nation to bankruptcy. And the proof is now in news every day: The US dollar is declining—that in itself is inflation. The figure the Fed reports —the CPI [consumer price index]—that is not an accurate measure of real inflation. That is a pseudo measure of inflation. The dollar is important. The money supply is important. Monetary policy is important. And Ron Paul is the ONLY Presidential candidate who has a plan to address it.

This is a grassroots effort to raise money for Ron Paul 200 presidential campaign. We are using the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party as a symbol to support Ron Paul, who said "Our nation has been overtaxed and overrun by beaurocrats. The Founders would be ashamed."

Mav
11-09-2007, 03:59 PM
To the site owner of teaparty07

Look, I will be brutally honest. I love what you did on Nov 5th ... but I watched the first 15 seconds of that movie on teaparty07 and I shut it off because I don't want to hear about some BS conspiracy theory. If you think the goal of the December 16th date is to somehow convince casual voters that their government is evil, we are completely off base. The goal is to bring in MONEY and NEW DONORS to the Ron Paul campaign. Including this editorial conspiracy crap is YOUR OPINION. It is NOT Dr. Paul's opinion. I'm not voting for you. And I'm not giving you money. And using Ron Paul's name as a platform for to spew something most people would call nonsense is UNFAIR and potentially highly politically damaging to Ron Paul's campaign.

Stealth4
11-09-2007, 04:02 PM

Look, I will be brutally honest. I love what you did on Nov 5th ... but I watched the first 15 seconds of that movie on teaparty07 and I shut it off because I don't want to hear about some BS conspiracy theory. If you think the goal of the December 16th date is to somehow convince casual voters that their government is evil, we are completely off base. The goal is to bring in MONEY and NEW DONORS to the Ron Paul campaign. Including this editorial conspiracy crap is YOUR OPINION. It is NOT Dr. Paul's opinion. I'm not voting for you. And I'm not giving you money. And using Ron Paul's name as a platform for to spew something most people would call nonsense is UNFAIR and potentially highly politically damaging to Ron Paul's campaign.

fk, this website has to be good or else that event will be crap.

KISS - keep it simple stupid

FreeTraveler
11-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I happen to agree with AFTF, but I think it has no place on the TeaParty07 website. Someone posted a new video for the TeaParty on another thread, and I would recommend that one and the "Hope" one be used as the two theme videos.

Let's not scare off uninformed voters by giving them an advanced course as their first dose of medicine. Start with sweet syrup, and we'll get to the bitter pills later.

Brian Bailey
11-09-2007, 04:27 PM
All good points.

hillertexas
11-09-2007, 04:28 PM
I totally agree with the suggestions...I consider myself a "somewhat militant" Ron Paul supporter and I don't know what the inflation tax is?? Why are you narrowing the money bomb down to anything other than support of Ron Paul?

Mav
11-09-2007, 04:31 PM
OK, on the urging of someone on another forum I am going to watch the movie. I'm about 5 minutes into it and it looks legitimate. I'd prefer it be replaced with something a little more easily digested, like "Ron Paul - Hope for America" ... but I guess grassroots and Ron Paul is about freedom.

I'm going to donate on Dec 16th no matter what so who cares.

ZenX
11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I also feel the second video, while an interesting and thought-provoking documentary, simply feels out of place here. We should be promoting Dr. Paul and his image, not another's. There's so many passionate and impacting short user films to show, why link an hour+ film?

Cowlesy
11-09-2007, 04:42 PM
AFTF is an amazing video, but I agree with respect to the goal of getting piles of people onboard who may not have a clue about RP, I'd go with some lighter stuff. Kudos on your suggestions Mav and welcome to the board.

dfalken
11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
needs to take a lead in fixing this site or this effort is going to fail or not be nearly as big as it could have been. The last effort was mostly hardcore quirky Ron Paul supporters like me and you but we are now getting mainstream media attention and the new site is going to drive a lot of people away. Is Trevor even reading this, does he even care? We have the capacity to really hurt the Paul campaign at this point and kill the momentum it has going.

jrich4rpaul
11-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I agree with everything. As far as emails go, maybe weekly? Every Sunday leading up to the 16th, and then the day before and the day of as reminders.

And we need some of those intro vids like New Hope and such for people who will be learning about Ron for the first time by that site.

And if anything, email Trevor your suggestions.

Heather in WI
11-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Excellent points Mav!

~Heather

manny
11-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I agree with everything. As far as emails go, maybe weekly? Every Sunday leading up to the 16th, and then the day before and the day of as reminders.

And we need some of those intro vids like New Hope and such for people who will be learning about Ron for the first time by that site.

And if anything, email Trevor your suggestions.

This is the issue. I bet 90% of readers on this baord care about monetary policy and my guess is most consider fiat-currency a form of theft. But this can't be the issue to introduce people to Ron Paul.

At the least get on the site that list you see people sticking on every youtube video ...

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.

I know we've seen it a hundred times but newbies won't have. Get them to understand that RP is a man of his word, a man who understand economics... then let them read about the inflation tax on ronpaullibrary or the writings of Murray Rothbard.

With the right promotion this website could attract many people totally new to RP. Let's make sure we have his basic record on there, or at least linked to.

The website is a beautiful design. The guy who made it - we're all grateful. And you're clearly passionate too, and my guess is have a good grasp of economics. Alas, many others don't.

RP has so many qualities and attributes that are easier to digest for those uninterested in politics than monetary policy.

sroll2237
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
The documentary will ALIENATE potential new donors. For this to be a success, it needs to have easily understood information on it that FOCUSES ONLY on Ron Paul. Put up the "a new hope" video and put in a part about Ron Paul's main views and we'll get many, many more donors signed up. Other than that, I applaud you on a good job.

terlinguatx
11-09-2007, 05:23 PM

FreeTraveler
11-09-2007, 05:27 PM
I'd rather see the site remain basically as it is, size-wise, with Hope and the newest TeaParty videos replacing the current ones at the bottom. This is about all the average visitor is going to take time to absorb in one sitting, so make it 1) a short text appeal, as it is now, 2) a short video about Ron Paul (I recommend Hope) and 3) a short video about the event. Don't overwhelm the first-time visitor or you'll lose them before they register!

If additional educational info is to be added, do it with another page, or perhaps a links page. If there's a links page, it should include the Ron Paul Library and similar sites, educational ABOUT RON PAUL... not about any of the "fellow traveler" issues that we all know are critically important, but are "bitter pills" for the mainstream to absorb. KISS above ALL!

cliche
11-09-2007, 05:27 PM
I also got a strange conspiracy vibe from the site as well. The teaparty theme is a great wink-and-a-nod to those who care about the economic platform of Dr. Paul, but it is also a great historic event the average supporter can rally around.

Agree with Mav 100%

ShowMeLiberty
11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Please listen to Mav. The greatest strength of the grass roots is the wide ranging expertise of its members. Everything Mav said makes perfect sense and I think it would do the event a world of good.

Stick to one point - inflation tax - and keep the message simple.

We need new supporters - lots of them. Let's do what it takes to get them.

BTW, here is that excellent new tea party vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3M2D3V94M

ronpaulyourmom
11-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Agreed with most of the content of this thread as a whole. Lets get off the spooky horse and get to the basic messages that gravitate most people to Ron Paul's platform.

evadmurd
11-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Look, I will be brutally honest. I love what you did on Nov 5th ... but I watched the first 15 seconds of that movie on teaparty07 and I shut it off because I don't want to hear about some BS conspiracy theory.

I have to admit, I did the same thing. It also makes me hesitate to send any of my friends and associates there. I mean, those are issues I have to overcome many times.

Just a suggestion, though.

paulitics
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM
I am going to trust the creativity of these guys a little more than last time. I see with less than a day there are already 1300 subscribers. Unbelievable, considering we have more than a month left, and we are just gettting started. At this rate we are looking at about 60,000 subscribers which will be more than double of the 5th. This should set us up for 10mill.

I see nothing more controversial than Guy Falkes day, or V for Vendetta in my opinion thus far. I don't mind seeing the FTF video there because it is a very popular movie, but perhaps you can add a few more videos about the boston tea party to incorporate a patriotic theme. If FTF is maybe 1/5 of the site as a whole, instead of 50% than it is less likely to alienate anyone.
Just my 2 cents.