PDA

View Full Version : DRESS like a Republican, ACT like a Republican, THINK like Ron Paul

Article V
01-04-2012, 07:40 AM
If you're on the ground working to persuade voters who are nervous about Dr. Paul, you know that one of the hurdles we have in converting people to the liberty movement is creating a feeling that they'll be accepted and that they belong with us. Countless voters tell me, "Ron Paul's supporters...I don't know where they were from, but they sure didn't look like Iowans," or "they sure didn't act like Values Voters," etc. You get the picture.

These people like Dr. Paul, but they're just not sure they belong on the same side as us because many in our movement insist on bucking the mainstream in their words, actions, and attire. (Totally understandable, especially since the media and establishment are fighting so hard against us, but let's not get in our own way.)

If we want to persuade more traditional conservatives, then we have to make them feel comfortable first so that they can open their minds to the message of Dr. Paul. Being unkempt in appearance, using foul language, indulging in conspiracy theories, these are not ways to persuade the most traditional conservatives. These people don't like Romney, but they're not yet comfortable standing with the often wild and unpredictable supporters of Dr. Paul. (I'm not saying we should quell our passion, just that we might need to temper and focus it so that it's most productive. A young Luke Skywalker has the force strong within him, but it's diffuse and therefore largely ineffective; it takes the training of Yoda for Luke to master the power within him and channel the force to perform miraculous feats. Ron Paul is our Yoda, and we are the Jedi in training.)

Our candidate can only do so much; we must create the most pleasant and inviting atmosphere so that people WANT to be around us because we're so fun, so principled, and so classy. Once people feel comfortable around us and feel like they fit in, then they'll be open to hearing our views and envisioning themselves joining our ranks.

Wear your Sunday best every day, be jovial and upbeat like Dr. Paul, and people of all backgrounds will listen. If we look like OWSers, that's when the people shut down mentally then dismiss us (in that order). Superman, Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker, Captain America, they all have that all-American look. Be the all-American liberty movement. Mirror the people you're trying to persuade, for that's how you make them feel at home. Once people feel at home, they bring down their mental barricades, which is how we will win their hearts and minds for liberty (in that order).

For Liberty! For Dr. Paul! Spread the message, Join the r3VOLution!

Highstreet
01-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Well said!

TexMac
01-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Agree.

lib3rtarian
01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Fully agree, and very important.

No long hairs, pony tails, tattoos, ear/nose piercings, torn jeans etc. You are not trying to build a relationship, force them to accept you as who you are. We are trying to convey a MESSAGE and win a VOTE, so look your best.

Saw a dude with emo hair giving a stump speech for Paul yesterday in a caucus, and I had a facepalm moment. No undecided or senior voter was going to vote for Paul after seeing that guy, regardless of what he said.

evadmurd
01-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Infiltrating the GOP faithfuls in the Midwest and the southeast will require some "role playing" on our part to help change the discussion from the iinside. Purely a tactical deployment of the grassroots.

Butchie
01-04-2012, 07:59 AM
I agree with this, but shouldn't Ron himself take that advice? Better fitting suit, repackage (NOT CHANGE) the way he presents his foreign policy ie stop bringing up Iran needing to feel safe, don't use the term "be freinds" - right or wrong, it makes you sound like a wimp and a terrorist sympathizer to NeoCons, but I suppose I'll get shouted down for trying to "compromise" Ron, but Uggghhh, this Iran thing is the ONE stumbling block I run into time and again out in the world, they need to address this, Rand gives good answers on this, why can't Ron?

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-04-2012, 08:05 AM
If you guys are going to persuade voters in Indiana, this will be required. Unless if you hit the Mishawaka/South Bend, Indianapolis, Muncie, Noblesville, Kokomo, and Fisher area's.

Indiana is mostly more "mainstream" in terms of age/attire in those area's.

Mordan
01-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I agree with this, but shouldn't Ron himseld take that advice? Better fitting suit, repackage (NOT CHANGE) the way he presents his foreign policy ie stop bringing up Iran needing to feel safe, don't use the term "be freinds" - right or wrong, it makes you sound like a wimp and a terrorist sympathizer to NeoCons, but I suppose I'll get shouted down for trying to "compromise" Ron, but Uggghhh, this Iran thing is the ONE stumbling block I run into time and again out in the world, they need to address this, Rand gives good answers on this, why can't Ron?

because he is radical ideologue on foreign policy while Rand is a politician. I personally disagree with Ron Paul on some foreign policy issues (not all issues) but support him anyways.

Ron Paul may not win it because of that. He keeps following rabbit trails laid under his nose by the MSM. Why am I nervous when listening to Ron Paul and confident when listening to Doug Wead or Rand Paul?

Same thing with the Gold Standard. WHy in hell does he bring it out without framing it in the competing currencies paradigm?

LibertyIn08
01-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm still seeing too many people dressed up like Gay Space Pirates and not enough people in nice suits, polos, dresses, etc.

cjm
01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
...Ron Paul is our Yoda, and we are the Jedi in training.

So basically you're saying we shouldn't say stuff like this? ;)

EDIT: +rep for message though :)

Butchie
01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
because he is radical ideologue on foreign policy while Rand is a politician. I personally disagree with Ron Paul on some foreign policy issues (not all issues) but support him anyways.

Ron Paul may not win it because of that. He keeps following rabbit trails laid under his nose by the MSM. Why am I nervous when listening to Ron Paul and confident when listening to Doug Wead or Rand Paul?

Same thing with the Gold Standard. WHy in hell does he bring it out without framing it in the competing currencies paradigm?

Very good points.

G-Wohl
01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
In addition to *not* calling female news pundits "whores" and making fun of their physical appearances - and in addition to not appearing like a slovenly jackass - many of the supporters here also need a good dose of reality when it comes to which figures and ideas ought to be aligned with the campaign.

Things that no supporter should ever bring up - EVER:

Alex Jones / Infowars
9/11 conspiracies
Military and space conspiracies (aliens/UFOs, secret weaponry, etc.)
New world order / Illuminati bullshit

I mean... seriously. I have a little exercise for any RP supporter who continues to think that touting Alex Jones and 9/11 truth nonsense is a good idea - would your grandmother be receptive to those ideas? If no, then you probably shouldn't be talking about them!!!! Anybody can register to these forums, and the public can come to any rally or event held in RP's name. So why the hell are we allowing people to discuss crap like this out in the open?

Keep it in the newgroups and darknet, people. RPF should be a clean and reasonable place for new supporters to see what RP is all about.

mmadness
01-04-2012, 09:37 AM
DRESS FOR SUCCESS!

Lymeade-Lady
01-04-2012, 10:08 AM
No long hairs, You mean I have to cut my hair??? Republican women all have short hair or something? :)

xFiFtyOnE
01-04-2012, 10:31 AM
In addition to *not* calling female news pundits "whores" and making fun of their physical appearances - and in addition to not appearing like a slovenly jackass - many of the supporters here also need a good dose of reality when it comes to which figures and ideas ought to be aligned with the campaign.

Things that no supporter should ever bring up - EVER:

Alex Jones / Infowars
9/11 conspiracies
Military and space conspiracies (aliens/UFOs, secret weaponry, etc.)
New world order / Illuminati bullshit

I mean... seriously. I have a little exercise for any RP supporter who continues to think that touting Alex Jones and 9/11 truth nonsense is a good idea - would your grandmother be receptive to those ideas? If no, then you probably shouldn't be talking about them!!!! Anybody can register to these forums, and the public can come to any rally or event held in RP's name. So why the hell are we allowing people to discuss crap like this out in the open?

Keep it in the newgroups and darknet, people. RPF should be a clean and reasonable place for new supporters to see what RP is all about.

Amen to that! While I enjoy Infowars for the reason that they often report major events faster than the MSM (not all conspiracy theories *gasp!*), I don't talk about him on the internet most of the time or to people I don't know well for the shear reason that most people consider him nuts. That is something we need to get away from if we are going to be in the big leagues.

Badger Paul
01-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Important for Louisianans to know.

TruckinMike
01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Try to stop using words or actions that may elicit a "leftist" feel in the mind of the neo-conned. Especially in videos, signs, web pages etc.

Never use a soundbite or phrase that Leftists commonly use.
No leftists sounding protest chants at Ron Paul Rallies.
Absolutely NO Che/Paul or Lennon/Paul t-shirts.
ETC.

You get the idea, the neo-conned are a thick-headed bunch, you must cater to their state of mental conditioning. Believe me I know, I used to be one.:D

One last thing, A po-dunk judge once told me - "if you walk like a duck, quack like a duck, then you're a duck", My advice to RP supporters is -- Don't be a duck.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2341/1713085287_e6c5de58e1_m.jpg

TMike

mmadness
01-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Try to stop using words or actions that may elicit a "leftist" feel in the mind of the neo-conned. Especially in videos, signs, web pages etc.

ETC.

You get the idea, the neo-conned are a thick-headed bunch, you must cater to their state of mental conditioning. Believe me I know, I used to be one.:D

One last thing, A po-dunk judge once told me - "if you walk like a duck, quack like a duck, then you're a duck", My advice to RP supporters is -- Don't be a duck.

TMike

DO NOT use these words with non-Ron Paul supporters/traditional Republicans:
radical (one of the Paul Iowa caucus speakers said this - facepalm! :()
libertarian (again said in a caucus speech - ARGH)
revolution
revolutionary

Just makes Paul sound extremist. Plus people in general resist or fear "massive change" or "revolutions". Especially if they don't know Dr. Paul and his message that well.

Alternatives:
Real change instead of false "hope and change" from the last election
A different type of candidate from the status-quo establishment
Constitutional Republican
Constitutional (use for "Constitutional Foreign Policy", "Constitutional Monetary Policy", etc. "Constitutional Candidate" USE THIS EVERYWHERE)
tea party (not as good as Constitutional, but you can use this instead of libertarian)
tea party movement
liberty movement (tea party is better though)

liveandletlive
01-04-2012, 11:05 AM
very good points guys...use conservative not libertarian, emphasize the Constitution, dont use "Neocon"

no tattoos (cover em up), long hair, excessive facial hair

basically dont behave or look like a OWS protestor

treat it as a job interview. And just say no to Alex "Mr. 9/11 Truth" Jones

mmadness
01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
very good points guys...use conservative not libertarian, emphasize the Constitution, dont use "Neocon"

Yeah, no Infowars references, 9/11 conspiracies, or intricacies with the Fed/Austrian economics. One thing to also avoid is talking about the gold standard. No need to have people think that Ron Paul would want us to go back to 18xx - I'm sure we've all heard that before. :rolleyes:

Basically people will already get your point that the economic system is not working, and find common ground along that. If you need to talk about something - talk about lowering taxes and creating job growth that way, or if you feel can go further along the bridge, getting rid of income tax since we only had that for a "few decades". Taxes people can relate to - gold, not so much. But of course use your ability to read people.

Social security and medicare I would also tread carefully. Talk about how these two programs are essentially bankrupt because we've spent all the money on wars, and Ron would like to make sure these programs can still pay out by reining in overseas spending (the easiest place to cut). You don't have to talk about getting rid of social security and medicare - it can freak some people out.

Legalization of drugs? No need to go there - talk about how Ron would like to leave things that are not in the Constitution up to the states. Crimes such as murder are tried based on state laws, not federal, so why not drugs? And if one state wants to legalize medical marijuana, such as California, it should be up to them and not the Feds.

Ron is not in favor of people using drugs or (whatever), in fact he's against people using drugs, he just wants to make sure we treat things Constitutionally and leave it to the states to decide.

TruckinMike
01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
revolution
revolutionary

Just makes Paul sound extremist. Plus people in general resist or fear "massive change" or "revolutions". Especially if they don't know Dr. Paul and his message that well.

Alternatives:
Constitutional (use for "Constitutional Foreign Policy", "Constitutional Monetary Policy", etc. "Constitutional Candidate" USE THIS EVERYWHERE)
tea party (not as good as Constitutional, but you can use this instead of libertarian)
tea party movement

YES -- Exactly!

Great followup, thanks MMadness!:)

YEP. I think we got it covered.

Butchie
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM

ETC.

TMike

I'd also suggest people stop trying to win conservatives over on the whole "gay" issue, it's not going to happen, plus alot of people falsely keep claiming Ron supports gay marriage and he doesn't, he doesn't support govt sanctioned marriage gay or straight.

TheSecretBillionaire
01-04-2012, 12:19 PM
This is basically what Rand Paul has done to infiltrate the GOP establishment.

KingNothing
01-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Yep. Be Rand Paul!

jkob
01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Be clean for Ron?

Jingles
01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Dressing up is fine, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with wearing jeans and campaign gear as well.

Tod
01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I'll admit, when I saw the speakers on C-SPAN2 last night, my heart sank when I saw the lack of a fresh shave and haircut. The first guy, while he gave a good (if nervously rushed) speech, kept on having to flip the hair back out of his eyes. It was distracting. The second guy was better, and he gave his occupation (grain merchandiser), which was a good move to tell the audience a) he's not a bum but a contributing member of society b) his occupation is one that probably a lot of the audience could relate to. Third guy could've benefited from a trim too. At least they did wear suits, although slightly more casual clothing might have actually been better IF the grooming had been up to snuff ----- look at the audience.

It is about making it easy for your audience to relate to you.

Still, kudos for having the guts to get up in front of that crowd and give a speech, much much better than not!

If in the audience, always assume you are on camera and that the camera will focus on you if you yawn, fidget, etc. At the New Hampshire town hall a few weeks back, the camera spent quite a bit of time on a guy with a fairly strong nervous tic.....assume it is an attempt to take the viewer's mind off what Dr. Paul is saying. If multiple campaigns are speaking, be extremely respectful of other speakers too, ESPECIALLY if you are identifiable as a Paul supporter.

ronpaulhawaii
01-04-2012, 01:23 PM
+ rep

Great thread

Onward!!!

G-Wohl
01-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Let me just put one thing out there:

Imagine, for a moment, that at the Iowa caucuses, an undecided voter came to their precinct to see that *every single Ron Paul* individual - be it a person from the campaign, grassroots activists, and general supporters - all wore suits with matching Ron Paul swag like pins and stickers.

We would have outclassed *every other candidate* and would have drawn good mainstream support from both older people and women - for different reasons, but due to the same visual stimuli.

I want to leave this thread with that note perfectly in tact: if we dress for success, and do it in a coordinated effort, not only will our numbers go up, but it will give the media something interesting (by their standards) to report on. The media paid the most attention to us in '08 when we were flying blimps in the sky and doing moneybombs. They want gimmicks like this to report on, and these are precisely the kinds of reports that get people to Googling Ron Paul. We want that!

Tod
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
revolution
revolutionary

Alternatives:
tea party movement

Instead of "change", "reform". Much-needed reform.

Aratus
01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Tampa, yes! Tampa here we come! Tampa, we are the future!

Johncjackson
01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Dressing like a Republican is what? Overalls? Wearing a Kerry/Perry barn jacket? I'm pretty sure most Republicans aren't hanging out in suits. A lot of them look at you funny if you wear clean clothes.

G-Wohl
01-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Dressing like a Republican is what? Overalls? Wearing a Kerry/Perry barn jacket? I'm pretty sure most Republicans aren't hanging out in suits. A lot of them look at you funny if you wear clean clothes.

Oh, come on. A well-fit suit on a man makes you noticed and respected. Nobody is going to criticize you for dressing sharp.

JohnGalt23g
01-05-2012, 09:27 AM
A word of advice for door-to-door: Do not wear your Sunday best.

You want to appear to to these people as just what you are; their neighbor. How often do you go over to your neighbor's house wearing a suit. If my neighbor comes to my door wearing a suit, I expect him to try to sell me a vacuum cleaner, or a new road to Salvation.

Dress nice. Be clean. Cover tattoos and put the long hair under a hat. But don't look like a missionary or a salesman.

Bruno
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I wore dress slacks, shirt and red tie for my caucus speech and received a number of compliments. We won 26 for Paul, to 16 for Santorum, 15 for Mitt.

Pete Kay
01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I agree with the general thrust of this thread, but I want to emphasize one important point: Know who you are. Sell to the audience that best suits who you are.

There's nothing wrong with a Ron Paul supporter looking like a young hipster, if that's who you are, but keep in mind that you're not well suited to go door to door in a rural area. Find the market that you best appeal to and work that market.

Article V
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
A word of advice for door-to-door: Do not wear your Sunday best.

You want to appear to to these people as just what you are; their neighbor. How often do you go over to your neighbor's house wearing a suit. If my neighbor comes to my door wearing a suit, I expect him to try to sell me a vacuum cleaner, or a new road to Salvation.

Dress nice. Be clean. Cover tattoos and put the long hair under a hat. But don't look like a missionary or a salesman.Wearing slacks, a button down shirt, and a tie is extremely effective door-to-door. People respect that kind of appearance because it's a projection of power, and it makes them less likely to shut the door on you and more likely to listen. These psychological reasons are exactly why salesman wear such attire: it's effective! It's also memorable enough that your audience is more likely to talk about it with others (read: free marketing) and more likely to pay attention the next time they hear Ron Paul speak on TV because they'll have the memory spark of your exchange pop in their head.

Salesmen are the best at persuasion tactics, and they literally bet their lives on being effective; Ron Paul supporters would do well to imitate them rather than buck the traditions passed down by them through centuries of collective experiences. Of course you can't please everyone all the time with your dress, but business casual will work more often than not door-to-door. It makes you not just their neighbor, but the neighbor of power deserving of respect. DRESS FOR SUCCESS ALWAYS!

Article V
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I agree with the general thrust of this thread, but I want to emphasize one important point: Know who you are. Sell to the audience that best suits who you are.

There's nothing wrong with a Ron Paul supporter looking like a young hipster, if that's who you are, but keep in mind that you're not well suited to go door to door in a rural area. Find the market that you best appeal to and work that market.Good advice. Know thy audience. Mirror thy audience. Be the best version of thy audience on their best day.

I wore dress slacks, shirt and red tie for my caucus speech and received a number of compliments. We won 26 for Paul, to 16 for Santorum, 15 for Mitt.Red is a power color. So the touch of red in your dress was a good addition, made even more effective by emphasizing the power item (e.g. the tie) of your attire. Power on power. Nice work!

Working Poor
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I wish I could afford a better wardrobe...