PDA

View Full Version : US NEWS and World Report - Libertarian Candidate Ron Paul?

kenc9
11-09-2007, 01:03 PM
This is how the MSM should report...Fair and Balanced. They ask RP 20 questions or so and let him actually answer the questions. The only thing wrong I could find was the heading.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/2007/11/09/qa-libertarian-candidate-ron-paul.html?PageNr=1

Q&A: Libertarian Candidate Ron Paul'Freedom brings diversity. It brings people together. Big government divides us.'
By Liz Halloran
Posted November 9, 2007
What is your appeal?
I think people are tired of what they're getting from their government. They don't believe it's working. They're angry. They believe they're being lied to when it comes to the economy. They believe they've been lied into going to war. And they're tired of it all, and they want change. Even though people poke fun at me—say that I don't look like the one to bring about change—I think I offer a different program than they've heard about for a long time.

FSP-Rebel
11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd rather see the word "Republican" than 'Libertarian.' But here we are...

JoshLowry
11-09-2007, 01:11 PM
The title is incorrect but I have her voicemail and left her a message.

Hopefully she changes it.

beerista
11-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd rather see the word "Republican" than 'Libertarian.' But here we are...

Yeah, I'm a little surprised to find myself hoping they eventually drop the qualifier... or at least recognize that it is a qualifier in his case and not an affiliation. Big "L" equals party. Small "l" equals designator. So simple only a journalist could miss it.

jesshwarren
11-09-2007, 01:22 PM
That is awesome. SWEET!!!! I hope they have that in there magazine.

JoshLowry
11-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I have talked with 1 person directly and left two messages at their direct HQ in the last 30 minutes.

They really need to get on this. They are misinforming 100's of people every minute that goes by. They have a popular website.

Libertarian and Republican are two separate parties. He is not a Libertarian Candidate. :mad:

Ron Paul Fan
11-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Did Wolf Blitzer write this article?

Energy
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
They need to correct the headline pronto. This is really inaccurate (in terms of Presidential race) and a serious blow, especially for those who never knew Ron Paul existed.

uncloned21
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
"Just as we surprised people on how many Meetup groups we have, how many volunteers we get, how much money we raise, how well we do in post-debate polls—why shouldn't we expect a surprise in the primaries?"

American
11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
What an idiot, there is a whole article about Ron Paul being the libertarian Candidate.

Q&A: Libertarian Candidate Ron Paul (http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/2007/11/09/qa-libertarian-candidate-ron-paul.html?PageNr=1)

Can we get some people to email this mis informed person to correct this. The article was just published 1 hour ago.

Shii
11-09-2007, 01:52 PM
They mean the small-l libertarian. But it is misleading.

nullvalu
11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I sent a kind email explaining how their title is misleading and the difference between big & little 'l'.. It was probably an oversight.. Email them, but be calm & kind in your statements.

American
11-09-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm lost by both these replies. I am quite sure he is running as a Republican, always has except for one year he changed parties to run as a libertarian.

I wrote them and told them I hope the article was in reference to his 1988 run for president, because he has always been elected as a Republican.

JoshLowry
11-09-2007, 02:00 PM
I spoke with an advisory person that works there and they just got done discussing it. They didn't mean it in a literal sense but since it is in the title they said they would change it.

It should be changed here shortly. Please don't contact them for another hour or two.

Energy
11-09-2007, 02:02 PM
I spoke with an advisory person that works there and they just got done discussing it. They didn't mean it in a literal sense but since it is in the title they said they would change it.

It should be changed here shortly. Please don't contact them for another hour or two.

Great news. Thanks for the update.

kylejack
11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Can you characterize a typical Ron Paul supporter?
No.
Hahahahaha

kylejack
11-09-2007, 02:05 PM
I sent a kind email explaining how their title is misleading and the difference between big & little 'l'.. It was probably an oversight.. Email them, but be calm & kind in your statements.
It still could have been a little l but everything gets capitalized in a title.

It could be a legit title.

Energy
11-09-2007, 02:08 PM
was mentioned in another thread that they are changing the title.

sylvania
11-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Ha! His obsession with the word "libertarian" would be a lot more amusing if I didn't care so much. I was shocked when he didn't say it yesterday. I was thinking a drinking game could be formed around his obsession.

kylejack
11-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Ha! His obsession with the word "libertarian" would be a lot more amusing if I didn't care so much. I was shocked when he didn't say it yesterday. I was thinking a drinking game could be formed around his obsession.
I made one for the debates, but I really should make one for MSM coverage.

kern802
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
It appears to have been updated!
"Q&A: Presidential Candidate Ron Paul"

DrNoZone
11-09-2007, 02:15 PM
It's now changed! It reads: Q&A: Presidential Candidate Ron Paul

francisco
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
FSP Rebel said above

"I never thought I'd see the day when I'd rather see the word "Republican" than 'Libertarian.' But here we are..."

Yup, life is sure full of irony!

Danny Molina
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
It's Newscorp. What else would you expect.

mragreeable
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Changed already, so good for them.

Every style guide I've ever read would have "libertarian" capitalized in a title or headline, as well as words other than prepositions shorter than 7 characters, etc, so I'm sure they didn't intend it as we read it. Most folks don't draw a big- vs little-L distinction on "libertarian," so it's an understandable mistake.

They just dropped the word from the headline to avoid the confusion, apparently.

kylejack
11-09-2007, 02:22 PM
It's Newscorp. What else would you expect.

It is? I thought it was owned by Mortimer Zuckerman.

kenc9
11-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I am proud of them:)

francisco
11-09-2007, 02:34 PM
This is a very positive article, and US News showed integrity by correcting the title so quickly.

If we pay attention, we can see who our friends are.

***Does anyone know if this will appear in the print version? If so, it is huge.***

Meanwhile, send a link to everyone you know!

max
11-09-2007, 02:37 PM
why dont they say 'Neo-Conservative" Rudy Giuliani...or "Marxist Hillary"...

Why are other candidates described with party but RP is described with libertarian?

I'll tell ya why...It's because the MSM wants to alienate RP from the conservative base of the GOP. If MSM referred to him as "conservative Ron Paul"...we'd gain support among GOP base...

The MSM knows that many conservatives are so stupid that they associate "libertarian" with "liberal"....

max
11-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Zionist Zuckerman owns US News.....when the RP juggernaught really gets rolling....the attacks will come

kylejack
11-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Republican is a dirty word. I love it when they call him a libertarian!

beerista
11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Changed already, so good for them.

Every style guide I've ever read would have "libertarian" capitalized in a title or headline, as well as words other than prepositions shorter than 7 characters, etc, so I'm sure they didn't intend it as we read it. Most folks don't draw a big- vs little-L distinction on "libertarian," so it's an understandable mistake.

Yes, of course I know about capitalization in titles, but my post (if that is the one you were referring to) was really meant to point out that there is a distinction between using "libertarian" in the big "L" sense and in the small "l" sense. The difference between these two uses is not solely in the capitalization. This potential for confusion in a title should be obvious to anyone in publishing, so the only ones who would ignore the obvious confusion either intend to obfuscate or are ignorant of the distinction. And no one who covers politics should be ignorant of the distinction.

Of course, I'm drawing a lot of conclusions base on what supposed experts in their respective fields should know. If we assume that ninety percent of the mistakes made while covering Paul in the media are honest mistakes, this campaign is pointing up just how bad a lot of people are at their jobs. On the other hand, if we assume that these people are competent, then we have to conclude that they are dishonest.

They just dropped the word from the headline to avoid the confusion, apparently.

I think they just dropped the word to avoid more email. Yes, I'm becoming cynical. Sorry.

JoshLowry
11-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Republican is a dirty word. I love it when they call him a libertarian!

They actually changed it to Presidential Candidate. I think that's better than any label because all the people who identify themselves a certain way will read it.

Grandson of Liberty
11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
They actually changed it to Presidential Candidate. I think that's better than any label because all the people who identify themselves a certain way will read it.

That was cool of them to do. Thanks Josh.

beerista
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Given that my above statements are all pretty negative, I thought I'd add that the questioning was fair. This is one of the only stories of the many in which Paul has had to answer the questions about a third party run, whether he's a real Republican, and the potential success of his candidacy in which I thought the questions were legitimate.
Good job, US News.
And conscientious of them to make a correction, too.
Okay, that's all the fawning they get. :D

Danny Molina
11-09-2007, 03:13 PM

My mistake.

Zuckerman is a neocon though.

paulitics
11-09-2007, 03:14 PM

ha.