PDA

View Full Version : THE Reality Check Thread

LiveToWin
01-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Welcome to the Revolution. It seems a handful of the members of this forum are quite the sunshine patriots who were expecting to win every battle with no casualties. I’m sorry to disappoint you but that’s not going to happen. This is an uphill battle, we are citizen soldiers and we are fighting the most powerful force in the world. (Sound familiar?)

You’ve heard of the spin and the lies but now you’ve seen what the media can do when they bring their power to bear. You’ve seen the face of the enemy. They gave us a bloody nose, took 1st place from us, and you want to run?

Let me tell those of you who were not here 4 years ago, or who have forgot, but things have changed. 4 years ago we took 10%, now we took 21%. We rose from the bottom to the very top tier – we took 1 of the 3 tickets out of Iowa. And as far as Iowa goes, we basically tied for 1st in the part that matters.

Iowa has what, 25? , 28 delegates for the convention? And in this state the delegates are “distributed” proportionally, meaning that 25% gets you about 6 delegates, and 21% gets you about 5. What separates Ron from 3rd place and 1st place? 1 DELEGATE. There’s also reason to believe that we may have taken Well more than 5 delegates out of this since there had been plans in place to make sure Paul supporters became the delegates (since the delegates are not bound to vote for a particular person at the convention).

There are 2,286 delegates at stake out there, and you need 1,145 to outright win the nomination. We are the TOP now, and slowly people are recognizing us as the force of the republican party and that if the republican party wants any hope of winning in 2012, they Need us.

We have only Begun to Fight. This story is Just beginning. Focus on New Hampshire and the coming states now. Keep Calling, Keep Donating, Keep up the daily battle with your family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and strangers, that Ron Paul is what this country needs.

01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Delegates are elected in IA. Ron supporters probably got more than the beauty contest winners.

ThePiousPriest
01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm still here, still will vote for Ron Paul and will advocate for him every chance I get, but damn Iowa is a real kick to the nuts.

sailingaway
01-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm still here, still will vote for Ron Paul and will advocate for him every chance I get, but damn Iowa is a real kick to the nuts.

Only from the perspective of the last couple of weeks. In October/early November when we said 'top 3 finish' we were just hoping, not expecting.

Ronulus
01-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm not going anywhere, but I do feel seriously robbed. Santorum is about as underwhelming of a candidate as you can get and the media pumps him for 2-3 days and he wins? Shows not only the power of the media but the stupidity of the american people voting.

cdc482
01-03-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm in this until the end, but if Ron Paul doesn't win 2012 I will be out of politics forever.

ThePiousPriest
01-03-2012, 11:34 PM
I admit, we are still in this, but our job in SC just got ALOT harder. I think many Neocons will rally around Santorum as receiving the "Cain Treatment", but all in all, Santorum is just fodder for Romney. Much in the same way how Huckabee was a distraction for McCain. The question is though, how can the Paul campaign upset that process?

I find it absurd that the establishment folks assume we would campaign for the GOP nominee like we would for Ron Paul. There is no way in hell I could do that for Gingrich, Santorum or Romney. I'd be betraying EVERYTHING I stood for and be complicit in ushering in America's downfall. They can try to court us, I'm not going for anyone else though.

slamhead
01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Word

+rep

LiveToWin
01-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Don't forget, Huckabee won Iowa outta nowhere, and proceeded to play no role in the remainder of the race. We can still win and the coming states are much more important to our momentum.

Carehn
01-03-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm in this until the end, but if Ron Paul doesn't win 2012 I will be out of politics forever.
I will be out of the republican party forever but I will never stop using my talents to support and promote liberty. The Republican party is not for all be it the best way to go or not. Ron is stronger then I am in that aspect I will probably go back the the LP. But NEVER stop supporting liberty however you see fit. The way you want to do it is the best way for you. So no. Not even you will give it up after 2012. Just do what you do and hold on to what you know to be true.

TomtheTinker
01-03-2012, 11:39 PM
+1

Pawl2012
01-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Not going anywhere. Iowa was great practice though!

opinionatedfool
01-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Ron Paul or Ron Paul.

There is no way I'll vote for Flip Flop or the warmonger.

tremendoustie
01-03-2012, 11:44 PM

Why?

This is not a sprint, but a marathon. Come to NH and you'll get lots of support :)

John F Kennedy III
01-03-2012, 11:47 PM
We need simultaneous attack ads all week in NH on Romney and Santorum.

ThePiousPriest
01-03-2012, 11:48 PM

I'd advise against that as Santorum will receive lots of that from the media, but IMO all lights are green on Romney.

tbone717
01-03-2012, 11:49 PM
I will be out of the republican party forever but I will never stop using my talents to support and promote liberty. The Republican party is not for all be it the best way to go or not. Ron is stronger then I am in that aspect I will probably go back the the LP. But NEVER stop supporting liberty however you see fit. The way you want to do it is the best way for you. So no. Not even you will give it up after 2012. Just do what you do and hold on to what you know to be true.

Leaving the party leaves you with little or no voice. There are many true conservatives that challenge for House, Senate, state and local races. If you are not in the GOP you can't vote for these guys in the primaries (depending on your state). Until a massive movement from established politicians to a third party occurs, being in a third party is pretty much futile.

Maverick
01-03-2012, 11:50 PM
I've been here for 4 years now, don't give me that "sunshine patriots" bit again. It's nice spin, but the real reality check is that we got screwed. Robbed is the right way to put it. I'm not done fighting, but even you have to admit it sucks to get screwed like we did. I would've killed for 20% four years ago...four years ago 20% and 3rd place in Iowa was beyond my wildest dreams. But be real, it feels like shit to be so close to 1st and get shafted like we did.

Maverick
01-03-2012, 11:57 PM

Santorum is done. He's the Huckabee of 2012. He served his purpose. There's no point in wasting time on him when the media is about to dump all over him all on their own. The real focus is Romney.

The Gold Standard
01-03-2012, 11:57 PM
It's understandable to be disappointed. I am too, but people are ready to surrender their freedom because Ron Paul came in 3rd place in Iowa? What do you think the men who died at the end of British muskets so that we would be free would think about that?

We got 22% in Iowa after the malicious smears and a perfectly timed media push for the scumbag Santorum. Lets learn our lesson, vet every candidate that is running on our own, and try to get 25-30% in New Hampshire. Let's get back to slow growth in the early primaries that are all proportional delegates anyway (except Florida). If we can add a couple percent a week we can start winning the winner-take-all states later on.

european
01-03-2012, 11:58 PM
In other countries they have to pay with their blood for a revolution. Don't think this is an easy ride. Cutting 1 Trilion dollars makes a lot of people unhappy, including the media.

And yes Paul gets screwed all the time, and through Paul we all get screwed. And it ain't a nice feeling.

But the OP is right when he says that the Ron Paul Revolution has grown into a force to be reckoned with. All we can do now, is do our very best and let it not be said we did nothing. Ron Paul 2012!

Eryxis
01-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Yeah, this hurts... but I'll wake up in the morning and get back at it.

LiveToWin
01-04-2012, 12:00 AM
I've been here for 4 years now, don't give me that "sunshine patriots" bit again. It's nice spin, but the real reality check is that we got screwed. Robbed is the right way to put it. I'm not done fighting, but even you have to admit it sucks to get screwed like we did. I would've killed for 20% four years ago...four years ago 20% and 3rd place in Iowa was beyond my wildest dreams. But be real, it feels like shit to be so close to 1st and get shafted like we did.

I know how you feel. Like everyone here and all the way up to Ron and the campaign, I was hoping / expecting a 1st place Win. We did get robbed, no doubt about that. But we need to look at things in the proper context. Forget all the ways we can spin this, it hurt, but we're not down. We will come out of this stronger. Now's not the time to quit, it's the time to fight harder. I'm glad to know you're still in this though.

Pete Kay
01-04-2012, 12:01 AM
We just need to put things into perspective. We were elated at polls showing him in first and our expectations rose. Now a lot of us are disappointed, but just think back to a few months ago. Ron Paul did better tonight than I had even thought possible in the past. He was just a few percentage points below first place. I think that's something to be proud of. Yeah, first place would've been phenomenal, but we fought a good fight. Ron Paul ran an excellent campaign. He's a top tier candidate now. The message of liberty is more popular than ever. That's a win in my book.

goldwater's ghost
01-04-2012, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

kuckfeynes
01-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Everyone is disappointed. But for us Pennsylvanians who have had to deal with this sniveling spineless two-faced faux-Christian bureaucrat for twelve long years... This is a true kick in the balls.

hammy
01-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Everyone is disappointed. But for us Pennsylvanians who have had to deal with this sniveling spineless two-faced faux-Christian bureaucrat for twelve long years... This is a true kick in the balls.

AMEN. This is the REAL reality check. I can RELATE.

justatrey
01-04-2012, 12:06 AM

Yep. I'm putting my balls in the oven right now just to distract myself from the thought of him actually winning.

LiveToWin
01-04-2012, 12:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

kombayn
01-04-2012, 12:07 AM
What needs to happen is earn those delegates, get a HUGE voice at the GOP convention and get a speaking spot at the convention but not with Ron Paul but with RAND PAUL. Focus on getting him the GOP nomination for Kentucky Governor in 2015 (the incumbent is a Democrat) then work towards Rand Paul 2016 at that time he'll has worked as U.S. Senator and Governor of Kentucky, that'll look mighty fine on his resume. A revolution wasn't built over-night fella's. ;)

Paul4Prez
01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
The reality check is the one Ron Paul wrote: he finished in the top 3, and only 2 of those 3 have shown the ability to mount a national campaign.

This is a long way from over.

J_White
01-04-2012, 12:15 AM
No One But Paul, nuff said !
Get to work !

hammy
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
What needs to happen is earn those delegates, get a HUGE voice at the GOP convention and get a speaking spot at the convention but not with Ron Paul but with RAND PAUL. Focus on getting him the GOP nomination for Kentucky Governor in 2015 (the incumbent is a Democrat) then work towards Rand Paul 2016 at that time he'll has worked as U.S. Senator and Governor of Kentucky, that'll look mighty fine on his resume. A revolution wasn't built over-night fella's. ;)

Don't kid yourself. By that time every single one of us on these forums will be in gitmo.

Maverick
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM

I'm drunk so cut me some slack here. Rand plays politics too much....,he doesn't have that legit straight-talk street cred with me like ROn does. I want ron in office NOW, not Rand in 4 years. Rand votes for Iran sanctions, ROn walks the talk. I'm not enthusisatic for Rand.

The Gold Standard
01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm not concerned about Rand in 2016. If Ron isn't elected now we could be eating out of garbage cans while hiding from MPs marching the streets in 4 years.

Feelgood
01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
http://greatdepressiondeux.com/delegates.jpg

coffeewithgames
01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Don't forget, Huckabee won Iowa outta nowhere, and proceeded to play no role in the remainder of the race. We can still win and the coming states are much more important to our momentum.

Actually, Huckabee won a few more states after Iowa.

ronpaulitician
01-04-2012, 12:27 AM
In the US, you fight the power, lose the first election by a few thousand votes, and give up.
In Syria, you fight the power, and you die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN-_4wr7O54
It's okay to feel disappointed. But keep some perspective. We're fighting the GOP war machine and the MSM spin machine. We almost won the first battle. Wipe those tears from your face. There's another battle coming.

Created4
01-04-2012, 12:30 AM
The campaign will learn from this and will need to adjust its advertising accordingly. If I heard right, we did very well among conservatives and even evangelicals. Economy was the #1 issue, but I think defense/security came in second on issues. Ron Paul has a unique message that is not easy to get across in sound bytes or 30 second commercials. I think having the military corporal on stage at the end is the sign of things to come. Showing how Ron Paul's views on defense will actually make America stronger is a message that must be communicated. If they can do that successfully, Ron Paul will be seen as the clear candidate for change who will not compromise our national security. This can be done.

beardedlinen
01-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Who said anything about giving up? :) We've only just started.

mysticgeek
01-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Think of it. This is a much stronger showing than the Revolution got four years ago in IA! Huckabee won it then...and remember McCain was third. Onward and Upward my friends!

Hospitaller
01-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Remember, George Washington spent 8 years in the field. John Adams spent 9 years in europe. Many American patriots paid with thier blood.

So a non-violent revolution you can expect to last alot longer, Ghandi and Mandela spent decades doing just this.

The youth is with us, RP has changed the game, Liberty is INEVITABLE, we just need to keep the torch alight.

european
01-04-2012, 12:45 AM
http://greatdepressiondeux.com/delegates.jpg

25 delegates, meaning 20% gives you 5.
Then you get 21% and you get 4. What am I missing here?

edit: i know whats missing. the grand total is 18, so 7 still missing

Maverick
01-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Think of it. This is a much stronger showing than the Revolution got four years ago in IA! Huckabee won it then...and remember McCain was third. Onward and Upward my friends!

4th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Republican_caucuses,_2008

Aratus
01-04-2012, 12:50 AM

i'm a baystater. gentleman mitt sometimes has a spine and then he flipflops rapidly to see where his spine was.

Mini-Me
01-04-2012, 12:51 AM
I totally agree with this thread. Tonight may not have been as big of a victory as we may have hoped, but make no mistake: It WAS a victory. Ron Paul is officially a top tier candidate, not a "fringe" or "dark horse" candidate. This will make more voters comfortable with the idea of voting for him, and his support may further snowball. Santorum is playing the Huckabee right now, but he doesn't have the national support, personality, or record/views to really last...Ron Paul does. I think this race will be between Romney, Paul, and Gingrich before long, but I think Gingrich will only come back enough so the media can pretend the race isn't really between Paul and Romney.

Will Ron win? I don't know, but it's possible. Heck, I'm honestly unsure if I even want him to: I'm actually fearful that Ron Paul will become President, inherit all of this country's problems, and preside helplessly while the establishment pulls the plug from various economic/institutional supports at the "opportune moment." At the same time, there are hazards that come along with any outcome, so I feel that's a bridge we'll have to cross when we come to it. The stronger his showing, the better: Every vote cast for him is a sign that times are changing, that public sentiment is changing, and that we may yet live to see liberty.