PDA

View Full Version : Question: How many here actually go canvassing for Dr. Paul?

framecut
11-09-2007, 12:51 PM
The Iowa GOP rep made a really good comment the other day:

"They (RP supporters) need to start calling voters and start door-knocking instead of calling the Republican Party of Iowa." - Mary Tiffany GOP IOWA rep.

So how many people here have joined a local meetup and went door to door to spread the word?

jwilson
11-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I've canvassed three times, and I'm going again tomorrow and maybe Sunday also.

framecut
11-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I've canvassed three times, and I'm going again tomorrow and maybe Sunday also.

Is there a RP HQ in your area, or is it more grassroots? Do you hand out official Dr. paul Slim Jims, or do you print your own from his website?

Keep up the good work btw!

wgadget
11-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I personally think that passing out slimjims in lines of stopped traffic is more efficient. Our meetup groups have passed out hundreds (maybe thousands) of slimjims this way.

But maybe I'm wrong. Of course, I live in a big city.

Mark
11-09-2007, 12:57 PM

A lot LESS than COULD if people would help me help y'all
through my non 501-C3 Church..

"Non 501-C3 Church seeks Donations to Promote Voter Awareness in NH and Beyond"

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=34496

Sematary
11-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I have bunches of times

framecut
11-09-2007, 01:02 PM
When canvassing door to door, what are some of the concerns people have over not voting for Ron Paul?

I'm basically trying to figure out people's concerns and a creative way in addressing it.

To naturally raise Dr. Paul's %5 approval

entropy
11-09-2007, 01:04 PM
I wear my RP shirt all the time and carry slim jims and freedom cards. Whenever I go out to the store I will put my yard sign in the windshield and put slim jims on the cars in the lot. Not all the cars, but I usually try to get 20 each time. I always engage in polite conversation if I see people eyeing my RP shirt and during this time whip out a slim jim and hand it to them.

InTheoryTV
11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I have gone out twice and will be going out this weekend.

I started a thread here recently that has some good step by step information on how to go about it. I'm not saying it the best, but it is a way.

To learn more, check out:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=33526

James R
11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I have yet to do so. I've been in my meetup group for three weeks but we have had very little events. Now I've joined multiple groups recently and will start going with those too. Also, I want to set up a booth at my local community college if they will let me this month.

katao
11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
This is SO important for Ron Paul to win, perhaps more important than even the money we give.

weatherbill
11-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I have a powerful Ron Paul flyer for flyering church parking lots...pm me your email to get it.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I was a paid canvaser for GCI / ACLU and would spend half my time telling people about Ron Paul instead of fund raising for the ACLU.

handed out a ton of business cards ;)
http://ronpaulstreetteam.com/images/freecards.jpg (http://www.ronpaulstreetteam.com)

free.alive
11-10-2007, 12:57 AM
kick off our canvassing on Sunday. Only 1/3 of our 378 precincts have PCO's, and we have 1 month to appoint more.

Time's a tickin

we have 157 people in our meetup, 135 who actually live here, and at least another couple dozen or so we know who are with us but not signed up through meetup.

gornandez@yahoo.com
11-10-2007, 01:10 AM
my one friend called me a communist (propagandist) for fliering windshields :(

JackLaw
11-10-2007, 02:25 AM
my one friend called me a communist (propagandist) for fliering windshields :(

I hope you corrected him or her.

Bradley in DC
11-10-2007, 03:07 AM
In DC, we're starting to circualate petitiongs to get Dr. Paul on the ballot. We're organized with Ward Chairman for 6 of the 8 wards (the other two really don't have any Republicans) and precinct captains for many of the precincts with "walking lists" for their neighborhoods.

Lyn
11-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Our meetup has canvassing events on the calendar weekly if not twice a week. We get the same group of die hard canvassers each time which is unfortunately a very small percentage of the total group. Despite our promoting these events as a key part of the winning the election, it is still the same few who show up. I have been out about eight times and I just joined the group recently. I swore I would never do door to door but it has actually been much easier than I thought it would be. We are now going into hypergear on the canvassing and in addition to the scheduled events on the calendar the diehards have started canvassing individually every chance we get. We use google maps to mark the areas already canvassed so no one goes over the same territory. You just update the map online and shade in the area after you finish and the other canvassers can check it before they go out.

parocks
11-10-2007, 07:28 AM
I personally think that passing out slimjims in lines of stopped traffic is more efficient. Our meetup groups have passed out hundreds (maybe thousands) of slimjims this way.

But maybe I'm wrong. Of course, I live in a big city.

Often, part of the purpose of going door to door and calling people is gathering data.
Are the people RP supporters? Make sure they vote. Strong supporters of another candidate? Don't talk to them again, or... Undecided? Keep working on it.

Often, the message is communicated through TV commercials, radio, mass mailings, etc.

Often, the grassroots/volunteers aren't those in charge of communicating the candidates message.

I love how everyone has had so much energy so far before the primaries (no way there would have been a 4.3 mil day without the passion, signs, emailing, poll winning, etc.) and I hope that everyone realizes that RP is probably counting on everyone to do the type of stuff typical volunteers typically do before primaries in typical campaigns.

noxagol
11-10-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't go out and actively seek to talk about Ron Paul out of respect, I would have hated it if someone walked up to me and started talking politics, now I would love it, but I am weird. However, if the subject comes up, I do not hesitate to interject my thoughts and pimp Ron out a lot. I usually wow them with my knowledge and wisdom and get a couple of converts. Only had 3 people say no, and it was all because of his Republican affiliation (two of them happen to be my parents but I'm winning them over).

DrewPohle(Orlando,FL)
12-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Canvassing Works. The traditional campaign tool will always be face to face contact. The Orlando Meetup group organized 14 people today and targeted Independants/Libertarians/No Party Affiliation in an effort to register them as republicans to support Ron Paul before our registration dates closes on the 31st of Dec. This was also good training for January when we will start canvassing republicans only. There was some hesitations about doing this but after teaming up pairs of folks and providing them with voter lists and maps there response was positive. The first door is the hardest and then they become easier and easier. You need to collect information also when you canvass (unbenounce to whom you are talking to) simple info like 1- have you heard about Ron Paul? 2- are you going to support Ron Paul in the Primary? by using these two questions now you know that if they haven't heard about Ron Paul you need to follow up or call them on the phone 2- if they are going to support Ron Paul that they(depending on the state) need to register republican by the cut off date. By keeping track of supporters you will be able to tell how your precinct is going to come out before the primary. Its not fun at times but this is what we need to do to win!

colecrowe
12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
First day today (Sat). Knocked on 25 doors (I'll do at least 150 tomorrow). Found 7 supporters, got their numbers, making sure they send in their registration on time if needed. Calling prior to caucus. I was absolutely amazed. Met some incredibly apathetic people--very depressing and actually maddening a little. Met one young father who was against the war completely but was still going to vote Guiliani because he had read his book and thought he ran New York amazingly (like a business) and would run US like that. He said, "I'm sure he'll get us out of the war." And that there was "no use arguing about the war"

Another really old guy said he was against the war but would never vote for Ron Paul because "You don't throw your vote away for a loser"--and because he was "nuts" for wanting to do "sweeping changes".

Another very old guy said "nobody can end the war". Whatever. And a real old veteran called me a liberal anti-american protester (until I told him I fought in Iraq and got a purple heart). Then he said, "well I wouldn't vote for him because he's against Yucca Mountain". I thought for sure I misheard him--EVERYONE IN NEVADA is against Yucca Mountain--but he said "we already put 130 million into it and he wants to throw all that away--and he's not even from nevada [what does that mean?]--but he's not a real republican, he's a libertarian--or a democrat." Whatever.

Lot's of people: "We don't vote." Idiots. I gave everybody slim jims though.

Nobody except Ron Paul people knew anything about the caucus--they just thought I meant the General Election--EVERYONE kept saying, "I haven't thought about it yet, it's over a year away"--I didn't try to educate them if they weren't Paul people.

BirdsAreWild
12-16-2007, 06:28 AM
I have handed out a lot of slim jims. I do it at every store I go to and at every sign waving event that I attend. I give some to people that I come across that are already Ron Paul supporters to give out. I think I personally have given out over 1, 200 and am waiting on my next order of 1,000 slim jims to be delivered. I print out tons of stuff from my computer and give it away also.

People need to print out the mail in contribution form and carry it with them also. There are many people who don't have internet and would like to contribute but don't know how. This will help the contributions quite a bit if everyone would carry a few of these with them to distribute.

xexkxex
12-16-2007, 06:29 AM
I go door to door with my two little girls almost every day :)

...they are pretty good :D

Todd
12-16-2007, 08:45 AM
The canvassing thing hasn't been really easy for me since I work late. I did spend 4 hours at the local gun show yesterday standing out front passing out slim jims and Paul's pro 2nd amend. info. We had some really good responses and conversations.

princessredtights
12-16-2007, 11:37 AM
When canvassing door to door, what are some of the concerns people have over not voting for Ron Paul?

I'm basically trying to figure out people's concerns and a creative way in addressing it.

To naturally raise Dr. Paul's %5 approval

I live in Oregon and our group is trying to help a neighboring MU group canvas in Washington (since the Washington primary is 3 months before ours).

Our conversation goes pretty much like this: " Good afternoon, my name is ___ and I'm a volunteer with the Ron Paul Presidential Campaign. Since the Washington State primary is in February, I want to make sure you have all the information necessary to make an informed decision. Do you mind if I ask you if you have a candidate in mind? (most are undecided) Note: We hand them information, we don't "ask" if they "want" information. Most will take it.

if undecided we ask: What do you feel is the most important issue facing our country today? (once they say what they feel is the most important issue, we taylor our RP answer to that -)

Most people are very receptive. What I am hearing is that people are fed up with politicians in general and the way the government is being run.

We make sure people have voter registration forms if they need them.

Sometimes people will say, "Oh, I like that guy but he doesn't have a chance to win" ... we bring up the fundraising on Nov 5 (and next week, Dec 16 ;)). That impresses a lot of people!

Sometimes people will say "Oh I can't stand any politican, they are all crooks" ...
Then, I say, "well, you know something, I used to be that way then I found RP in May of this year. We have a saying, "Dr Ron Paul Cure my Apathy" and that is so very true! I've never done anything political in my life other than vote! He is so unlike any mainstream candidate. (and then I go into the "he doesn't take paid junkets, he doesn't participate in the pension, he returns his leftover budget money BACK .... etc ... )" and by then, people have perked right up!

steve005
12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
get out there on foot!, i went door to door twice already and plan to go every weekend during and after the holidays