PDA

View Full Version : Everyone I've talked to on phone from home ...

FriedChicken
01-03-2012, 03:45 PM
seemed aggravated - all saying I was the 3rd to 5th call they've gotten from Ron Paul supporters.

One guy was apparently a weak supporter, threatened not to caucus saying "Well I told the other guy three minutes ago I would DEFINITELY caucus UNLESS I keep getting calls".

I put him on do no call list. Tried to smooth things over.

10 out of 10 pickups so far said they'd already been contacted. I'm going to call the hotline about this as well.

bluesc
01-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I wish this system could have been tested.

jacmicwag
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Start by saying "I'm sorry if you've already been contacted our computer is having a few issues today. Have you already been contacted about attending the caucus tonight to vote for Ron Paul."

Then free lance from there or follow the script. If they are attending, ask them if they have any questions and make sure they know the location to go to.

Arklatex
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
In this situation you need to be a human friend with them and talk

sailingaway
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
I think we need more choices like 'not sure' because otherwise you have to pick one or the other, and people just not finish answering the question. Apologize profusely and say you'll tell the campaign, then post it on the phone from home facebook page. The original Ames one had a place you could put notes to the campaign which I know slows it down but would sure be nice.

I dont' know if you should put them on do not call though, we don't want the campaign to lose their contact number. Someone who knows the answer to that should post.

We decided it was best to start the call asking if they've already been called by the campaign about the caucuses tonight at 7.

UtahApocalypse
01-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Start by saying "I'm sorry if you've already been contacted our computer is having a few issues today. Have you already been contacted about attending the caucus tonight to vote for Ron Paul."

Then free lance from there or follow the script. If they are attending, ask them if they have any questions and make sure they know the location to go to.

There is NO fucking excuse for this. This could cause us everything!!

RickyJ
01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I wish this system could have been tested.

Who made this system up?

I hate to say it but is there a chance of deliberate sabotage?

dbill27
bump, this seems important

dbill27
Who made this system up?

no

FriedChicken
01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Good suggestion - that is actually what I started doing. But still they seemed annoyed and tired - these are probably people who wouldn't have voted but ... yeah. They all wanted to be added to the do not call list.

Also - couldn't get through to the hotline.
I'm wondering if its a enough is enough point yet ...

afwjam
Its going to be ok. Problems always come up, they will be fixed.

-:Undertaker:-
Look, at the end of the day all the politics will annoy many - from the constant TV ads, to the radio ads and to the phone calls.

I doubt it'll make much of a difference in terms of negative effect.

AZKing
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
There's only what -- 100,000 caucus goers? I don't think this should be much of a surprise.

ronpaulhawaii
01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
I've been manning the hotline for hours now...

And UA - calm yourself

eff
01-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah, that would be great if this screwed us..

RickyJ
Its going to be ok. Problems always come up, they will be fixed.

Calling people that have already been called 5 or six times by Ron Paul people is not a little problem, it is a huge problem and there is not excuse for it. A system designed this badly would get someone fired in the private sector pronto.

JackieDan
This issue equivalent to what was happening during Senate campaign of Peter Schiff. I was a caller and many people were angry and said they would not vote because of all the calls they were getting. That was really bad, and I felt that the campaign had to do something about it.

Here's what the system should provide,
Once calling, choose if the person is undecided. That means that we will call him again. Once the person becomes decided we remove him from the list and goes on to the next caller.

Now, i'm very disappointed to hear this because it had a terrible negative effect under schiffs phone-bank system.

G-Wohl
no

Why so certain? I happen to know that it would not be impossible (or even improbable) that somebody could break past the security the PFH system utilizes.

fade
deliberate sabotage? jesus guys this is just a simple error that they were making. programs are not perfect.

seapilot
01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Who made this system up?

A ton of passionate people equals a lot of calls. It probably was not anticipated there would be this much effort for GOTV.

My bet is there are duplicate lists that are being called at numerous phone banks, plus PFH. They had no way of knowing how many people would actually participate. If there were this many participating in the Voter ID that has been going on for the past months they would have been prepared.

Athanasius
01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
if they pick up and are annoyed just start begging them to vote for Santorum and ask them if they think we shouldn't nuke all gays and towel heads.

swissaustrian
01-03-2012, 04:01 PM
bump

eleganz
I've been trying to say that the phone system cycles without consideration of completed calls. It is frustrating and should've been fixed a long time ago.

I've stopped calling altogether, phone from home is one of our strongest weapons in the war chest but it could be what hurts us as well. Not saying we should all stop but it could be that the more of us there is, the more likely the system will cycle us through to completed calls.

cdc482
I always start with:
"Have you been contacting to caucus for Ron Paul today?"
If they say Yes, I quickly say,
"Well did you know that you can bring friends and family members with you to the caucus-even if they are not registered-they can register at the event with ID?"
And I ask if they know the caucus location.

PastaRocket848
yeah... still... it seems rather amateurish to not have some way of tracking who has been called and who hasn't, and filtering the call lists that way. it's one database column and a conditional. i certainly couldn't imagine the developer NOT thinking of ahead of time. could've been overlooked, but i doubt it.

RonPaulCult
01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
The campaign better be doing something about this. I'm very frustrated.

seapilot
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
I think if you put Yes or NO or do not call, it crosses that person off that particular list. It does not do any good if there are 4 or 5 the same lists floating around.

nyrgoal99
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Overlap is partially on purpose I understand that supports do not care about multiple calls

kill the banks
01-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I always start with:
"Well did you know that you can bring friends and family members with you to the caucus-even if they are not registered-they can register at the event with ID?"

that sounds polite to me and smart

nyrgoal99
01-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I always start with:

Good idea

Snowball
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
gettin kinda late to call people IMO only.
they barely got time for dinner and it's caucus time.

sailingaway
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I always start with:

this is great!

kusok
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Just donated again:

Thank you!

Thank you for your generous donation!
Amount: $40.75
Transaction ID: 329834942
Transaction date/time: 2012-01-03 15:07:52

But I want to know, in what universe is there a system that doesn't erase the phone number once it's been called??? This is not good. Is this being fixed or what?

sailingaway

Maybe they already ate :p

Or eat late

KCIndy
seemed aggravated - all saying I was the 3rd to 5th call they've gotten from Ron Paul supporters.

One guy was apparently a weak supporter, threatened not to caucus saying "Well I told the other guy three minutes ago I would DEFINITELY caucus UNLESS I keep getting calls".

I put him on do no call list. Tried to smooth things over.

10 out of 10 pickups so far said they'd already been contacted. I'm going to call the hotline about this as well.

I (finally!) got a chance to do some calling today, for the first time in a long time. Every person who answered said they'd had multiple calls already. A few were cool about it, a couple were majorly PO'ed so I apologized profusely and at one guy's request clicked the "do not call" button. But they all said they were still supporting Dr. Paul.

I'm guessing - just guessing here, and I probably shouldn't even be voicing this - but I'm guessing that there has been a massive upsurge in participation from Ron Paul supporters over the past couple of days, and we may have overwhelmed the system.

Just to be clear, that's NOT an excuse to quit calling! :D

Dissident
I've been calling since noon today and people have been generally very receptive. Only a few people have told me not to call but did so politely. If they express any hostility, try to make light of the situation by saying "Sorry about that. I can't imagine living in Iowa right now. I bet you are looking forward to tomorrow when this is all over with."

I've contacted a lot of supporters when calling. Many were grateful for the call and excited about tonight. It's very rewarding.

If you're concerned about bothering people and having it reflect poorly on the campaign, start your call off with "Hi this is X. I'm a volunteer calling to remind you that the Caucus is tonight at 7." If they are not interested they will simply hang up. If they remain on the line say, "Are you still supporting Ron Paul?" and go from there.

nyrgoal99
01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
REMEMBER, THE WHOLE GOAL IS TO GET THE PEOPLE ON THE FENCE TO COME

afwjam
01-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Be Polite, keep pushing.

KCIndy
01-03-2012, 04:09 PM

I wish I could buy dinner for every Ron Paul supporter in Iowa.

I would even throw in some "humble pie" for all the opposition! ;)

slamhead
01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
I did not vot for a republican one time when they did this to me. Very aggravating.

seapilot
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Wish we had this effort for caller Id people in Nevada, we would be working on another state already.

SaulPaulinsky
01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
This is why I haven't been calling the last couple of days. This happens every caucus. People eventually get sick of it all and just want it to be over, as much as they take pride in the event for the most part.

I don't know why more people don't screen their calls around this time and let the machine get all the solicitations. There's no way I would answer the phone if I didn't recognize the number unless it was to find out if it was someone I don't support and I could keep them on the phone and waste their time.

I definitely think there's a diminishing returns principle that kicks in. The people that turn voters at this stage in the game IMO are other caucusgoers, neighbors, friends. And Paul's supporters should do a decent enough job of that.

UtahApocalypse
01-03-2012, 04:16 PM
I am logging off of PFH

Its becoming counter-productive, and almost too late to get people to the caucus anyways.

NYgs23
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I'd give my right hand to see Ron Paul in the White House, and I've long been tired of three or four RP emails and mail every month telling me news I already know and pestering me to donate. You don't need to waste your time and money on me, thanks. People don't like spamming. People sometimes avoid giving to charities because they know the charity will be calling them and harassing them for the rest of their born days. And let's not even get into being a college alumnus.

Crotale
01-03-2012, 04:19 PM
My heart has a real big sinking feeling. This could cost votes.

coffeewithgames
01-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Good suggestion - that is actually what I started doing. But still they seemed annoyed and tired - these are probably people who wouldn't have voted but ... yeah. They all wanted to be added to the do not call list.

Also - couldn't get through to the hotline.
I'm wondering if its a enough is enough point yet ...

Perhaps they should have cut this off yesterday, and let today be boots on the ground?

Brandon Todd Carr
01-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm done calling. People are getting very angry.

bp2519
01-03-2012, 04:21 PM
good luck people

jacmicwag
01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Don't give up on the calls. It is working. I've had two fence sitters who may now attend after spending some time on the phone with them. Start with "I'm xxx. Have you been contacted today about attending the caucus tonite at 7 pm." Then go into the Ron Paul bit if they are willing to talk. If they get pissy who cares - they can't associate the call with Paul.

I'm a little shy of 50 calls and most people are very nice. It's very rewarding when a fellow supporter thanks you for a call before going into battle. One guy talked with me about his speech. This is what we worked for the last 4 years - don't cave now in a fit of defeatism.

kill the banks
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
stay a team be polite and cool

anthony0738
01-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Overlap is partially on purpose I understand that supports do not care about multiple calls

This.

The ones who are going out to vote understand the situation and are not alarmed by multiple calls. Personally, I would be impressed by the determination of the campaign to get me out there to vote. Those who get mad, well, chances are they never really cared enough to vote anyway.

Romulus
01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
It sounds like everyone has been reached.. yes?

afwjam
01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I will wait for an order from the campaign, im no commander here.

fearthereaperx
01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah, you guys really need to stop it

EuRa
01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Why keep calling if the majority of the people you reach have already been contacted?

I remember when I received 5 RP calls in 1 day, I was agitated beyond belief, and didn't want to vote... and I was (am) a HUGE Ron Paul supporter.

Still voted, but I was very unhappy about it.

kylejack
01-03-2012, 04:56 PM
One possibility: A call gets allocated to someone to call on. At that moment the person takes a restroom break or quits for the day or goes to eat...the call sits there without being made for a bit, say ten minutes. The system decides to allocate the call to someone else and the same thing happens there. The call gets reassigned again. Then all these people try to make a call and complete the survey.

parocks
01-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I always start with:

I don't ask, I also don't go through all the questions. I really just want to get the today at 7 out there and get to the question as fast as possible. And I might throw in a "do you know where your caucus is" at the end. I rarely ask "bring other people?" Most of the people I've been talking to have sounded over 45.

Freedom Patriot
01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Calling people that have already been called 5 or six times by Ron Paul people is not a little problem, it is a huge problem and there is not excuse for it. A system designed this badly would get someone fired in the private sector pronto.

I am shocked that the system was designed so poorly. Someone should answer for this. Hopefully only 10% of the people on the list got phoned multiple times and the other 90% have not been annoyed?

I wouldn't be surprised if the program was hacked.

ronpaulhawaii
01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
You guys are something else...

The science says that it is better to make too many calls than not enough.

EVERY body knows that voters need to be reached multiple times.

While people here call for heads and assume sabotage, I'll keep powering on.

I trust the campaign.

I trust Ron Paul

Crickett
01-03-2012, 08:07 PM

One guy was apparently a weak supporter, threatened not to caucus saying "Well I told the other guy three minutes ago I would DEFINITELY caucus UNLESS I keep getting calls".I put him on do no call list. Tried to smooth things over.

Vote me down, but this is what happened last time, and why I would not do it this time. I wanted proof of no duplicate calls and no one could assure me of that. Now I see--same old, same old.

mconder
01-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I stopped calling when I realized Iowans were tired of hearing from people.

ronpaulhawaii
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
This post was an hour before the caucuses started.

I started my calls with "hello is ____ available please?" Then "My name is David, I'm a volunteer for Ron Paul, have you been contacted by our campaign today?" If they haven't I go thought the script. If they have I still ask them if they are going to caucus for Ron Paul. One guy had been contacted already, but he and his wife weren't going to caucus because they live in a small town and thought there wasn't a place they could go to to caucus. I looked it up for them, and it turns out the caucus location was just down the street from them. So with an hour to spare, they went down there and caucused for Ron Paul.about an hour ago

This is why we call

J_White
01-03-2012, 08:47 PM
you could have said "ooops" !!
they should keep an eye on the system !

marhlfld
01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok, I agree with a lot of posts that the system has gliches in it. The campaign will learn from this and we need to call or email the campaign to listen to us. They have to tweak the system and make it work better for us. I quit calling in the last couple days because the system was messed up. They need a stronger phone banking system that can handle it.

What really surprises me is that frickin' Santorum is surging.... aaaaagggggggghhhhh!

Ok, we will need to work harder.... no more slacking..... not for a minute....

FriedChicken
01-03-2012, 09:17 PM
speak for yourself - I should never have stopped using rp2012.org

dante
01-03-2012, 10:02 PM
speak for yourself - I should never have stopped using rp2012.org

rp2012.org would be one of the reasons everyone was getting multiple calls as there is no list coordination between them and the campaign.

dante
01-03-2012, 10:14 PM
*double post*

ronpaulhawaii
01-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Here is a ground report:

Nothing out of the ordinary. You get your average 'grouch' now and again. Other than that, I'd say things were spot on here in my neck of the woods. I have had family happily make it a point to contact me after they had been contacted by the campaign. One is my Aunt who is a VP of *** in Central Iowa. But yea...So far so good. You guys on those phones are doing fantabulous work!!

Like any system, none are perfect. This one is very good, and will be continually refined as it is built out. It will have easy times and tough times. It would certainly be a LOT smoother though if we had as many volunteers eager to help everyday, as we did yesterday.

The system has headroom and expandability, but like any system, sudden surges stress... People were getting through all day and the ones who have over 10,000 calls under their belts just powered on...

The bottom line is that we just need to going whatever gets thrown at us. Stop letting difficulties distract us and set us off our game. The place to report problems is to the hotline. Not an anonymous forum where multiplying reports exaggerate perceptions and bring down morale.

PRESS HARDER!!!

vechorik
01-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Calling to GOTV isn't as important as VOTER ID, IMHO

Over, done with -- on to better things -- like VOTER ID in NH and NV

I hope those who signed up for phoning to GOTV in IA CONTINUE TO CALL NH and NV (much easier script and VERY IMPORTANT TO THE CAMPAIGN)

speciallyblend
01-04-2012, 08:34 AM
until they fix it. the program should be stopped.

kylejack
01-04-2012, 08:36 AM
The point of voter ID is to call them and remind them to vote. And to know how strong we are.