PDA

View Full Version : 17 year olds can vote in Iowa?

Xenophage
01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
I was perusing the 2008 Iowa Caucus threads and I came across this old thread posted by tsetsefly:

Please dont move this to other subforums this is by far the forum that gets the most traffic, leave it here for today.

Posted this because maybe some dont know, if youre 17 you can vote in the caucus as long as you will be 18 for the general election...

Iowa election laws allow out-of-state students attending college there to vote, and 17-year-olds can vote in the caucuses as long as they are 18 years old by election day.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/...nts/index.html

If you havent register no problem, from ronpaul2008.com:

2. Register to vote Republican before the Caucus. While you can register at the caucus, this creates a potential problem if numerous people arrive to vote that also need to be registered on the spot. This is a potential problem you can avoid. Please go to your County Court House, County Auditors Office, and spend 2 minutes and register Republican before the caucus. The sooner the better.

If you will procastinate adn register that date make sure to be there 45 minutes early! they recommend 30 but better be safe than...

edit: you can also change your party affiliation at the caucus...

Is this still true?

hueylong
01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Yes. It is.

tsai3904
01-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Anyone born on or before 11/6/94 can vote in the caucus.

sailingaway
01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I was perusing the 2008 Iowa Caucus threads and I came across this old thread posted by tsetsefly:

Please dont move this to other subforums this is by far the forum that gets the most traffic, leave it here for today.

Posted this because maybe some dont know, if youre 17 you can vote in the caucus as long as you will be 18 for the general election...

Iowa election laws allow out-of-state students attending college there to vote, and 17-year-olds can vote in the caucuses as long as they are 18 years old by election day.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/...nts/index.html

If you havent register no problem, from ronpaul2008.com:

2. Register to vote Republican before the Caucus. While you can register at the caucus, this creates a potential problem if numerous people arrive to vote that also need to be registered on the spot. This is a potential problem you can avoid. Please go to your County Court House, County Auditors Office, and spend 2 minutes and register Republican before the caucus. The sooner the better.

If you will procastinate adn register that date make sure to be there 45 minutes early! they recommend 30 but better be safe than...

edit: you can also change your party affiliation at the caucus...

Is this still true?

You just outed yourself that you are not calling..... :p

Xenophage
01-03-2012, 03:37 PM
You just outed yourself that you are not calling..... :p

Can't! I'm at work and my phone is at HOME!

Agorism
01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
...they will be 18 by the actual election most likely. Also this is a private election not a government one so the GOP can let 16 year old vote if it wants to.