PDA

View Full Version : Amazing NY Times Piece!!!

Tyler_Durden
01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I do not know what the future will bring,” he added. “But I do know that a message can be sent — and hopefully a message can be achieved — in this election, this campaign, maybe on Tuesday. Who knows? I don’t know what the results will be, but I am optimistic that we’re moving in the right direction, and that many people are awakening now to the need for more liberty and less government.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/04/us/politics/ron-pauls-stump-speech.html

Miss Annie
01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Fabulous! :)

affa
01-03-2012, 12:14 PM
good article

dagnybell
01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Great article!

louisiana4liberty
01-03-2012, 12:25 PM
+1 great article...now if we could ever get the media to respect the idea and our message then we would grow exponentially.

georgiaboy
01-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Great piece.

Richard Oppel even understands and uses the word non-interventionism!

unknown
01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
The New York Times??? The editors must have been on lunch.

Harald
01-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Awesome piece. I found it and was just about to post a thread about. I did not find a single dig in this article.
Just accurate reporting. Very rare

P.S.

Just sent a "thank you" e-mail to the author

jacmicwag
01-03-2012, 12:53 PM
And somehow the ideas continue to grow and the message continues to spread after nearly 2 weeks of total media war against Paul. Maybe we are winning already and don't even know it yet. Just in case though, back to the phone for 50 more calls.

georgiaboy
01-03-2012, 12:54 PM
looking at Richard Oppel's other pieces, he seems to give Ron Paul a fair shake most of the time. Here's a fun sample of quotes from Paul Assails Rivals' Criticism of His Policy on Iran (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/31/us/politics/paul-assails-rivals-criticism-of-his-policy-on-iran.html?ref=richardajroppel):

Mr. Paul, though, stuck to his guns. Before a crowd at a public library in Sioux Center, he noted that others say Iran “might get a nuclear weapon someday, and wouldn’t it be good if we have a pre-emptive attack on Iran right now to make sure they never got a weapon.”

“I would say no, I wouldn’t do that, mainly because right now there are no signs they are” seeking to build a bomb, Mr. Paul said.

And if Iran did build a nuclear bomb, he said, “What are the odds of them using it? Probably zero. They just are not going to commit suicide. The Israelis have 300 of them.”

But Mr. Paul was also careful to say that the president is “obligated” to respond to an imminent attack on the United States. “You don’t have to wait until they have put their feet on our soil,” he said.

Rick Santorum, who has seen his support rise sharply in several recent Iowa polls, was mobbed by reporters during an afternoon stop at a Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar in Ames, where patrons were gathered to watch Iowa State battle Rutgers in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Despite a tiny turnout of only a few supporters and some angry yells of “sit down” and “we’re trying to watch football,” Mr. Santorum said he was encouraged by the new energy evidenced by the media scrum that now follows him.

“I’m a little bit surprised at the scale of the turnout here today — let me apologize to everybody here,” Mr. Santorum said. “No. It’s great.”

Small crowds greeted Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota as she completed the final stops on her tour of all 99 Iowa counties. She has been running consistently in the single digits in polls in Iowa despite her heavy focus on the state. A “super PAC” supporting Mrs. Bachmann, No Compromise, tried to secure air time on KCCI, the CBS station in Des Moines, but was rejected because the station said the ad was too shoddy for network television.

Created4
01-03-2012, 12:58 PM
This is Ron Paul's message summarized quite well:

“The Constitution is a great document,” he has said. “I have personal beliefs. I believe that individuals should have the right to their life, the right to their liberty, and also the right to keep what they earn. Fortunately for me, the Constitution and my personal beliefs come together. Because the oath of office doesn’t say, ‘Well, I’m going to go to Washington and I’m going to fulfill my personal beliefs.’ It says that we go to office and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.”

scottditzen
01-03-2012, 01:06 PM
This is Ron Paul's message summarized quite well:

“The Constitution is a great document,” he has said. “I have personal beliefs. I believe that individuals should have the right to their life, the right to their liberty, and also the right to keep what they earn. Fortunately for me, the Constitution and my personal beliefs come together. Because the oath of office doesn’t say, ‘Well, I’m going to go to Washington and I’m going to fulfill my personal beliefs.’ It says that we go to office and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.”

This was a superb article and really points to the all-important bigger picture.

european
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
*clap* *clap*

http://chzjustcapshunz.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/funny-captions-clap-clap-clap-clap-your-hands.jpg

Darthbrooklyn
01-03-2012, 01:15 PM
The New York Times??? The editors must have been on lunch.

HAHAHA I was thinking the same thing..

european
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Well, since you guys were talking about the editors being on lunch, I did a quick search to the author, the journalist.

His name is: Richard A. Oppel Jr.

and a search on his name shows the following articles:

Ron Paul’s Stump Speech
By RICHARD A. OPPEL JR.
Ron Paul gives the sense that he is the leader of a movement more than of a political campaign, and he believes the consistency of his message will win over voters.
January 3, 2012

Paul Assails Rivals’ Criticism of His Policy on Iran
By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and RICHARD A. OPPEL JR.
Representative Ron Paul says that overreaction by the United States to Iran’s nuclear program could lead to a war.
December 30, 2011

Paul’s Foreign Policy Stance Divides Many G.O.P. Voters
By RICHARD A. OPPEL JR.
The emerging question is to what extent Ron Paul’s more dovish stances are so far out of the Republican orthodoxy that they will limit his support in many places.
December 29, 2011

Ron Paul’s Young Iowa Volunteers Clean Up for the Cause
By RICHARD A. OPPEL JR.
Strict orders to young Iowa supporters: Look, dress, shave, sound and behave in a way that will not jeopardize Ron Paul’s chances.
December 28, 2011

It seems the journalist had to write some about dr Paul. And maybe, just maybe, while doing research, he discovered the real Ron Paul and decided to write an honest article.

source: http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/o/richard_a_jr_oppel/index.html?offset=0&s=newest