PDA

View Full Version : MA-Library send cops to collect overdue books from 5 year old.

Anti Federalist
01-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Charlton Library Sends Police To Collect Overdue Books From 5-Year-Old

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/02/charlton-library-sends-police-to-collect-overdue-books-from-5-year-old/

CHARLTON (CBS) – A Charlton mom says her local library crossed the line when they sent police to collect her daughter’s overdue library books.

Her mom says the 5-year-old girl was so afraid that she burst into tears.

Charlton Police Sergeant Dan Dowd stopped by the home of Shannon Benoit to let her know that her daughter had two books several months overdue which needed to be returned or paid

phill4paul
01-03-2012, 07:43 AM
"In other news a man, who's house was burgled, was told by detectives that there was almost no chance in recovering the stolen items. "We just don't have the manpower to follow up on this." said Detective Dick."

Danke
01-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Charlton Library Sends Police To Collect Overdue Books From 5-Year-Old

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/02/charlton-library-sends-police-to-collect-overdue-books-from-5-year-old/

CHARLTON (CBS) – A Charlton mom says her local library crossed the line when they sent police to collect her daughter’s overdue library books.

Her mom says the 5-year-old girl was so afraid that she burst into tears.

Charlton Police Sergeant Dan Dowd stopped by the home of Shannon Benoit to let her know that her daughter had two books several months overdue which needed to be returned or paid

What? No dogs were injured in the recovery of these books?

Anti Federalist
01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
What? No dogs were injured in the recovery of these books?

That's exactly how this could have gone sideways.

Family has a big barking dog that slips out while being they are being "questioned" about the felonious book snatching and "double tap"; the family dog is now dead.

aGameOfThrones
01-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Police? Really? For this?

Krugerrand
01-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Yet another example of why public libraries should be closed - on top of why the police departments should be abolished.

Son of Detroit
01-03-2012, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zePQavforA

Anti Federalist
01-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Overdue library books are a misdemeanor in Mass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBdpINm9UBU

Danke
01-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Delinquent library books are a gateway crime. Must nip it in the bud early.

Son of Detroit
01-03-2012, 08:05 AM

We don't call them library delinquents after that long.

What do you call them?

Criminals.

phill4paul
01-03-2012, 08:05 AM

Well the books are bought with public funds. What if I just take my portion. Say..the last page? :D

cjm
01-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Well the books are bought with public funds. What if I just take my portion. Say..the last page? :D

The use of the word "public" is misleading. There are no such things as "public" funds. Once taken, they are government funds, so you don't have any claim on any portion. Same goes for government roads, government schools, and anything else purchased with government funds. I'm not saying it should be this way, just pointing out the way it is. The government is an entity separate from the people, not of/by/for the people.

phill4paul
01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
The use of the word "public" is misleading. There are no such thing as "public" funds. Once taken, they are government funds, so you don't have any claim on any portion. Same goes for government roads, government schools, and anything else purchased with government funds. I'm not saying it should be this way, just pointing out the way it is. The government is an entity separate from the people, not of/by/for the people.

I am aware. ;)

cjm
01-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I am aware. ;)

Heh, sorry for the soapboxing. It was just as much a reminder for myself and the many readers of this thread as it was a response to your post. Using certain words will distort the analysis of a topic. I catch myself using loaded words all the time. For example:

Neighbor: Should we invade Iran?
Me: Of course not....

When I should say

Me: Buddy, "we" aren't invading any country, we're drinking beer on your porch. Our neighbors' children will be doing the invading at the direction of the US government.

oyarde
01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Well , I imagine that Rufus King and Elbridge Gerry just rolled over in the grave.

flightlesskiwi
01-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Heh, sorry for the soapboxing. It was just as much a reminder for myself and the many readers of this thread as it was a response to your post. Using certain words will distort the analysis of a topic. I catch myself using loaded words all the time. For example:

When I should say

Me: Buddy, "we" aren't invading any country, we're drinking beer on your porch. Our neighbors' children will be doing the invading at the direction of the US government.

well, depending on how old and healthy ya'll are.... i wouldn't take the "we" off the table in that scenario.

but, yeah. that's a good point to make.

ShaneEnochs
01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
This amazes me.

About three months ago my fiance gave a ride to a woman who looked down on her luck. The woman used my fiance's phone to call a friend, and then asked my fiance to pick her up as well. The woman even took a picture of herself on my fiance's phone for whatever reason.

A day later we found out that she, or her friend, had stolen my fiance's wallet with all of her credit cards. The woman and her friend maxed out all of the credit cards and caused our bank account to go into the negative. All together, they were able to steal $4000 worth of stuff.

So we filed a police report. We gave them the friend's number (remember, the original girl had called her from my fiance's phone), and the picture, along with a description of the friend. Then they asked us to do their job for them (call the stores they used her cards in). So we did, and after roughly ten or eleven hours, we even had the exact times and route mapped out for the cops.

A week ago we called them to ask about it, and they said that they doubted that they would ever be able to find these women.

WTF

Maybe if they weren't so busy picking up library books, they could do their damn jobs. :mad:

Pericles
01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Well , I imagine that Rufus King and Elbridge Gerry just rolled over in the grave.

You just can't make this stuff up

Pericles
01-03-2012, 03:24 PM
well, depending on how old and healthy ya'll are.... i wouldn't take the "we" off the table in that scenario.

but, yeah. that's a good point to make.

I'm still in better shape than many of the couch potatoes the Army has in basic training at the moment. Very scary thought.

phill4paul
01-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm still in better shape than many of the couch potatoes the Army has in basic training at the moment. Very scary thought.

Actually, that is a very promising one. Depending on whether or not one would choose to comply. ;)

phill4paul
01-03-2012, 03:36 PM

When I should say

LOL. N/P. :) I just thought the little green smiley face meant j/k or snarkiness to denote the intent. I dunno. Does it? The interwebs confuse me sometimes.

Pericles
01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Actually, that is a very promising one. Depending on whether or not one would choose to comply. ;)

I have always had difficulty with stupid orders.

CaptainAmerica
01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
even the libraries? hah

heavenlyboy34
01-03-2012, 04:08 PM
This^^ My local library just uses a private collection agency for really delinquent borrowers. Calling in the cops is just fucking ridiculous. Whoever made that call really should be fired.

heavenlyboy34
01-03-2012, 04:10 PM
LOL. N/P. :) I just thought the little green smiley face meant j/k or snarkiness to denote the intent. I dunno. Does it? The interwebs confuse me sometimes.
I thought it just meant hilarity; sort of a one-up of this: :) I don't know my webbernet memes well enough. I hang my head in shame.

eduardo89
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
They only sent one guy? Something like this obviously warranted a no-knock SWAT team search!

Pericles
01-03-2012, 04:37 PM
They only sent one guy? Something like this obviously warranted a no-knock SWAT team search!

Yeah - drug dealers hide their money in library books - I saw that in a movie .....

LibForestPaul
01-03-2012, 06:03 PM
The use of the word "public" is misleading. There are no such things as "public" funds. Once taken, they are government funds, so you don't have any claim on any portion. Same goes for government roads, government schools, and anything else purchased with government funds. I'm not saying it should be this way, just pointing out the way it is. The government is an entity separate from the people, not of/by/for the people.
Interesting ....
government schools vs public schools
government roads vs public roads

an entire order of magnitude difference in google search

language, learn to use it wisely, because "they" already have.

phill4paul
01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I have always had difficulty with stupid orders.

Heh! The Navy was where I defined my life long employment mantra..."I will never again work for someone I would not hire."

phill4paul
01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
I thought it just meant hilarity; sort of a one-up of this: :) I don't know my webbernet memes well enough. I hang my head in shame.

LOL. No shame HB. I dunno either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWy-LCGDsd8

heavenlyboy34
01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Interesting ....
government schools vs public schools
government roads vs public roads

an entire order of magnitude difference in google search

language, learn to use it wisely, because "they" already have.
Bingo! Newspeak is how "they" control the public dialogue.