PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: Odds Have Been Slim [Past Tense]

jcarcinogen
01-03-2012, 01:28 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/paul-odds-of-winning-1286022.html

By THOMAS BEAUMONT
The Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa — Republican Ron Paul, a leading contender in Iowa's presidential caucuses, said Monday on the eve of the leadoff 2012 vote that he does not envision himself in the White House.

When asked Monday during an ABC News interview in Des Moines whether he sees himself in the Oval Office, Paul replied: "Not really, but I think it's a possibility."

He added: "I don't deceive myself. You know what the odds are. The odds have been slim."

I know Paul is a thinker and is honest so I shouldn't read too much into it...

kylejack
01-03-2012, 01:30 AM
I agree with him.

but DARE TO DREAM.

-:Undertaker:-
01-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Wrong thing to say.

kuckfeynes
Oh come on. Tense matters!

BamaAla
Challenge accepted Ron; we can beat those odds. Nothing worth having comes easy!

01-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Media spin. Probably quoted out of context like usual.

AZKing
Tomorrow in the news:

Paul wins in Iowa, but he and his supporters seem to be giving up

Just watch.

jsingh1022
My interpretation is he wants to stay under the radar and win Iowa then take it one state at a time so the MSM doesnt pile on

One month ago Newt was claiming to be the nominee and he is fading to black now. Over confidence and under confidence dont make a difference.

Muwahid
His national numbers aren't the hottest.. but lets win Iowa today, then take on the rest of the nation tomorrow :D

TheTyke
01-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Stop listening to the media. They flat out put false quotes in Rand's mouth in KY to derail and deflate the grassroots. Don't put it past them.

angrydragon
01-03-2012, 01:33 AM
I thought we were in it to win it?

AngryCanadian
01-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Wrong thing to say.
I agree.

AlexAmore
Change. Thread. Title. For. This. Gets. Tweeted.

socal
Yep, how many times does the media have to be caught lying before people stop taking what they say at face value?

unknown
Ron Paul never wants to sound over confident. We're up against a tremendous establishment which is clear to anyone whos not delusional.

But as hes said repeatedly, he used to run track and he's gonna run hard and he is.

Make no mistake about it, we're making history.

hammy
01-03-2012, 01:36 AM
GUYS. Ignore it, move on, fight harder. We don't need this right now.

When did you all start trusting the media?

LET'S GO!

Kevin Smyth
01-03-2012, 01:36 AM

Move it to HOT TOPICS.

Aratus
01-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Iowa is binary.
N.H has a gap to close.
Virginia has two contenders
on the ballot. He's
going to Tampa.

odds are one in four.

Agorism
01-03-2012, 01:38 AM

This was already on Hotair all night long. I saw it earlier but didn't bother posting it.

Having said that it's not really a secret as it's on most major blogs at this point.

Aratus
01-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Mitt Romney or Ron Paul takes on Barack Obama.

Aratus
01-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Barack Obama has 50/50 odds of being elected.

Bigvick
01-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Ron has the best organized grassroots of all the GOP contenders. Ron can raise millions overnight. Ron has a message that instantly attracts people to it. Ron has received a massive amount of media attention compared to 2008. Ron has an excellent campaign staff that can produce fantastic ads. Ron is on the verge of winning the Iowa Caucus....

No Ron...the odds are not slim....you need to be confident and say "Our base is growing everyday and we are a real contender for the GOP nod".....

!!!!!!!!!!

Would not put it past the media for them to be twisting his words around to make it sound like hes not in it to win it...

kuckfeynes
01-03-2012, 01:40 AM
As for wanting to be president, he has always said that. He doesn't want the power, he merely wants be a statesman and serve his country.

As for his support, who needs the media to spin things? He's speaking in the past tense, and the subject of this thread puts it in the present.

edit... fixed, nevermind

jbuttell
01-03-2012, 01:43 AM
If he's starting to get numbers around %15 nationally, that's quite a fertile bed of solid from which to sprout a forest with the success of Iowa.

Today, I heard from my dad that a family member was actually considering Ron Paul... I couldn't believe it, I nearly gave up on her after unsuccessfully trying to explain in 2008 how Ron was our best bet. She felt the Patriot Act was necessary... Figured requirements were met for the suspension of habeas corpus - suggesting that we were being invaded.... :X She objected to decriminalizing drugs etc. I feel crazy just trying to make sense of these objections...

I think over the last four years, she's seems to have perhaps started to form a different perspective and maybe isn't feeling the government can do no wrong.

She apparently still has reservations about Ron's position on Iran, and that could be a deal breaker - but if she's even considering him now... Hopefully I can provide the final nudge with some relevant info.

Something's happening....

svobody
01-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Odds are slim. It's us against the world, quite literally. He knows better than anybody else what we're up against. I see no reason not to be honest about this. When the odds are long, it doesn't mean you don't try. It means you try harder, because you're trying to overcome so much more. This is a decades long battle, and tomorrow won't be the culmination. Ron getting into the Oval Office won't be the culmination. The battle isn't won until we've changed enough hearts and minds to change the course of history. When they write the book about the Liberty movement, and how we took America back, tomorrow will be a half page in a 200 page book. Paul becoming President would be a chapter out of 12.

Aratus
01-03-2012, 01:55 AM
its us or Mitt Romney.
Mitt Romney has 50/50
odds at being the GOP
nominee. only we can
stop or slow down Mitt.

scrosnoe
01-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Be the media -- give them the headline you want them to print. There is power in the printed and spoken word. Never underestimate the enemy. It will not be easy.

RickyJ
01-03-2012, 02:23 AM

I think so. We all know he is in this to win it or he wouldn't be running. Unless he wins nothing changes. If he doesn't win this country is going to dissolve in a short time.

RickyJ
01-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Ron has the best organized grassroots of all the GOP contenders. Ron can raise millions overnight. Ron has a message that instantly attracts people to it. Ron has received a massive amount of media attention compared to 2008. Ron has an excellent campaign staff that can produce fantastic ads. Ron is on the verge of winning the Iowa Caucus....

No Ron...the odds are not slim....you need to be confident and say "Our base is growing everyday and we are a real contender for the GOP nod".....

!!!!!!!!!!

Would not put it past the media for them to be twisting his words around to make it sound like hes not in it to win it...

+1
I agree 100% They are twisting his words or are catching him off guard in a depressed moment about all the lies the media continues to hit the air-waves with about him. It would be enough to make anyone break. He is only human.

rp08orbust
01-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Present perfect tense, I believe.

ssmoler
01-03-2012, 02:40 AM
What would you prefer: "yes we can"?

Come on, this is a guy who has been spouting the same message for 30 years with little traction until now: odds HAVE been slim. Here's also a guy who has little suport from the MSM. He tells it like it is, BUT has worked harder than any of us for what he and we believe in, so I don't think were in much of a position to judge.

4114Liberty
01-03-2012, 02:50 AM
I believe the movement for liberty will flourish.

There's a reason with the SOPA and other acts, intensifying support for our cause.

We're beginning to expand to many, and we should recognize today as an opportunity to reach out to others, motivating them to join with us!

unknown
01-03-2012, 02:58 AM
I believe the movement for liberty will flourish.

There's a reason with the SOPA and other acts, intensifying support for our cause.

We're beginning to expand to many, and we should recognize today as an opportunity to reach out to others, motivating them to join with us!

This is VERY VERY true.

The Patriot Act, NDAA, the Obama lovers are coming around.

That Glenn Greenwald article had an impact. It should be re-quoted repeatedly.

beardedlinen
01-03-2012, 03:23 AM
Ron only tells the truth.

This will be a tremendous battle. Prepare yourselves.

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-03-2012, 03:30 AM
http://static.tumblr.com/nv5z8ec/QiTlk68p6/challenge-accepted.png

jcarcinogen
01-03-2012, 04:03 AM
This is VERY VERY true.

True but the way the media selectively reports on things like the NDAA (fox portrayed it as defense budget and Paul opposition as slashing the military) the mainstream will not be aware.

jcarcinogen
01-03-2012, 04:04 AM
This is VERY VERY true.

True but the way the media selectively reports on things like the NDAA (fox portrayed it as defense budget and Paul opposition as slashing the military) the mainstream will not be aware.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2012, 04:37 AM
And while Paul himself steered clear of criticizing his rivals, his son Rand repeatedly struck at Santorum, who has supported foreign aid spending, a rallying point of opposition for fiscal hawks including tea party supporters.

"You've got so-called GOP candidates for president traipsing round Iowa who have voted for foreign aid," Rand Paul said to a cheering crowd of more than 300 in Cedar Rapids.

The campaign was preparing an automated call criticizing Santorum's support for foreign aid and other parts of the former senator's fiscal record.

:)

LibertyEagle
01-03-2012, 04:41 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/paul-odds-of-winning-1286022.html

I know Paul is a thinker and is honest so I shouldn't read too much into it...

I really wish Ron would think about what he is saying to reporters and how it will be reported, before he says it. Regardless, the facts are that we aren't leading in the national polls. BUT, and this is a big but, if we win the Iowa Caucus, it's going to be a new ballgame. People who didn't think it was possible that he could win, are going to start believing.

This is going to be a long haul and we are going to have to fight for it every step of the way. But, it IS doable.

opinionatedfool
01-03-2012, 05:17 AM
I think thts great. The media has to get off our backs. If they think he thinks its slim, maybe they'll cut their smears down.

RickyJ
01-03-2012, 05:19 AM
I think thts great. The media has to get off our backs. If they think he thinks its slim, maybe they'll cut their smears down.

No, they won't stop smearing him until he is out of the race or stops doing so well.

AngryCanadian
01-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Great now the daily mail is using this.

bluesc
01-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Ron needs to remember he has a lot of people doing a lot of work for him and they need encouragement, not discouragement.

affa
01-03-2012, 05:51 AM
stop worrying.

bobbyw24
01-23-2012, 05:22 AM
We got delegates

WE WIN:D

wgadget
01-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Actually "HAVE BEEN" is present perfect tense. Denotes an action that the action has not been completed, and may change in the future.

: )

bluesc
01-23-2012, 11:33 AM
We got delegates

WE WIN:D

bobbyw24

Banned

http://i.imgur.com/WccOM.gif