PDA

View Full Version : I really think we should forget the media and the polls

goRPaul
11-09-2007, 10:19 AM
We're wasting our time following the media and the polls. They should be following us. And they will, in time, as long we focus on our grassroots efforts. I really think that if we give them the cold shoulder, they'll pay a little more attention to us- more than if we constantly whine about attention. So ignore the bias, ignore the low polls, and put up more signs and hand out a few more slim jims instead. Agreed?

robertwerden
11-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I respectfully disagree.
The media should not be ignored, they are way to important in getting Ron Paul's name in the public eye. We tend to be to rude to them, however that is a result of "blowback" from them representing Dr. Paul incorrectly.
We should be focusing on only correcting the mistakes they make politely and informing them about events that are news worthy.

The polls as skewed as they are, however they are what America and the GOP uses to determine the nomination. Our most important goal right now is to get Dr. Paul's poll numbers way up.

goRPaul
11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
I respectfully disagree.
The media should not be ignored, they are way to important in getting Ron Paul's name in the public eye. We tend to be to rude to them, however that is a result of "blowback" from them representing Dr. Paul incorrectly.
We should be focusing on only correcting the mistakes they make politely and informing them about events that are news worthy.

The polls as skewed as they are, however they are what America and the GOP uses to determine the nomination. Our most important goal right now is to get Dr. Paul's poll numbers way up.

If we ignore the media, chances are we'll be much nicer when we do contact them. And from the media's perspective, why should they give us any coverage? Because we ask for it, or demand it? That's not what makes a story newsworthy.

I'm saying that when we contact the media, it's usually an email, right? If we refocused those efforts into more sign wavings and handing out slim jims out on the streets, we'll see more impact in the polls.

Naraku
11-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Whether we like it or not, the media doesn't cover Paul as much because he isn't high in the polls and he isn't high in the polls because he isn't getting much media coverage.

Obviously grass roots is needed, but it's needed to get him higher in the polls and in the media, because that's when it becomes very easy to get him support. A lot of people have decided to support Ron Paul because of everything they're hearing in the media.

J Free
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree that the media should be ignored. They will pay attention to us when we actually deserve it and not one minute before. As long as are simply watching what they do, we are the media AUDIENCE -- not an instrument of political change.

And the media doesn't write news stories about Joe Couch Potato

Elwar
11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
We need to work on a way to circumvent the media by getting information distributed to those who can vote.

This is not only necessary now, but for years to come. Ronald Reagan ran on much the same platform that Ron Paul is running on right now but he was soon confronted by the media elite early in his presidency to surrender some of his smaller government goals in exchange for good press for his presidency.

thoughtbombing
11-09-2007, 11:11 AM
If we ignore the media, chances are we'll be much nicer when we do contact them. And from the media's perspective, why should they give us any coverage? Because we ask for it, or demand it? That's not what makes a story newsworthy.

I'm saying that when we contact the media, it's usually an email, right? If we refocused those efforts into more sign wavings and handing out slim jims out on the streets, we'll see more impact in the polls.

I disagree... demand IS what makes it news worthy.

J Free
11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
We need to work on a way to circumvent the media by getting information distributed to those who can vote.

This is not only necessary now, but for years to come. Ronald Reagan ran on much the same platform that Ron Paul is running on right now but he was soon confronted by the media elite early in his presidency to surrender some of his smaller government goals in exchange for good press for his presidency.

That is precisely the purpose of my VVR project. See my sig for beta and the discussion thread. And yes - need as much help as possible to get the project up and running.

Our friends - and friends of friends - and the whole six degrees stuff - is what will circumvent the media. Because it already does. We're just not using it for this particular purpose -- in a way that can be demonstrated and that BECOMES newsworthy.