PDA

View Full Version : Why the democrats want Romney to win

ukipwebmaster
01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Everyone. This has just been published and could provide useful ammunition in your campaign.
Here is the link and the article is below. Please share. Good luck for Iowa and beyond!

http://synonblog.dailymail.co.uk/2012/01/candidate-romney-why-the-plain-people-of-america-will-hate-him.html

Candidate Romney: why the plain people of America will hate him.

Welcome aboard to Toby Harnden, who today joins the Mail as US editor. He starts off with a cracking piece -- it's the lead piece on RightMinds if you haven't seen it yet -- about the Iowa caucases and the race for the Republican nomination for president.

Harnden's conclusion is that Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, may be about to win the caucases and is likely to go on to take the nomination.

I'd agree with that: as I write in my own piece about the caucases in today's Irish Daily Mail, the former governor is now called -- with some resignation in the Republican party -- 'the inevitable Romney,' a man rich and organised enough to take the nomination, but so plastic and rehearsed -- and did I mention rich? -- that is is barely human.

You can read about the rest of the field in Harnden's piece. But I would add just one thing that our new boy doesn't mention: the Democrats are being very quiet about Romney.They aren't leaking negative stories about him. The reason is they'd be very happy to have their ineffectual, and frankly so inept it's embarrassing, Barack Obama face Romney in November.

Why? Because what hasn't come out yet in the Republican race are questions about Romney's huge wealth -- or more to the point, just how much tax-sheltering and loophole finding Romney has done to keep his net income lush. Romney has so far refused to release his income tax returns -- although virtually every presidential candidate for the last 40 years has done so.

Josh Marshall, the editor of the Talking Points Memo website, has it right: 'We might say that a spectre is haunting Romney -- the spectre of the Buffett Rule.'

The Buffett Rule is a prooposal from President Obama named after Warren Buffett, the multi-billionaire American investor. Buffett claims the mega-rich are not paying their fair share of taxes because they can make use of tax loopholes on investment income which are not available to plain people on salaries.

So here is the problem for Mitt Romney: the reckoning is that his lush life is being lived on all kinds of fancy low-tax income. As Marshall says: 'He seems to still be making big, big money off capital gains which are currently taxed at a very low rate. He doesn't seem to have drawn a salary at any time recently. So he likely pays no payroll taxes. And that's before you get into legal but aggressive tax-sheltering.'

Now, I don't care how much or how little tax Romney pays. But I also know that, as soon as Romney gets the nomination (and that looks likely), the Democrats will come out and demand that he release his income tax returns. The then-Republican candidate will have nowhere to hide. He will be damned if he doesn't, and if he does, voters will look at the way he has tax-sheltered his multi-millions and simply hate him.

Which could well be one of the reasons a Romney nomination could leave the incompetent Obama in the White House for four more years. As usual the Republican party will have nominated the wrong man.

bluesc
01-02-2012, 10:59 AM
UKIP? The UKIP?