PDA

View Full Version : Run for Ron Paul

Weston White
01-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Hello,

In trying to come up with creative ways to become more proactive throughout this next year I recently had an idea that I thought would be highly effective within local communities.

One primary idea is to hold, for example, a weekly “Run for Ron Paul – Vote with Your Feet! Campaign” that would be organized by local support groups throughout America. This works really well for many reasons such as (aside from the obvious play on words): (1) Ron Paul is an avid and lifelong runner himself, (2) it is a very healthy and competitive thing to do, (3) it is inexpensive, (4) it is open to the public and engaging, (5) there could be an element of competition involved by having awards available to the winners, (6) running is very much a family activity open to all ages and to most with handicaps even, (7) such an event is entirely positive and forthright in nature, (8) etc., etc.

This could be arranged as either a preplanned event at a specific designation or as a mobile event to take place around whatever other major event is to take place in an area such as a ballgame, concert, shopping event, etc., so as to piggyback on that influx of people.

Those in support of Ron Paul could all dress up in Ron Paul gear and run holding campaign signs and banners, etc.

Perhaps a quality and trendy-hip (Underarmour or Champion for example) unisex running suit for both cold and warm climates and advertises Ron Paul could be made available for purchase in further support of his campaign (e.g., with an image or caricature of Ron Paul running himself and include popular campaign phrases such as revolution along the sleeve, his logo, etc.)?

This is what I have come up with so far, if anybody else has thoughts to add?

Slobodan
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I think it's a great idea! Maybe something they can take for free from like a flag that one will carry?

The One
01-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Let's run back and forth across the country like Forrest Gump.

Slobodan
01-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Also run for office for Ron Paul.

floridarp
01-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes, we need to organize a big march or something.

floridarp
01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
24 hour walk in every large city in the country - a couple of people with flags and ron paul signs taking turns carrying the stuff.

Let's do it before the NH and Carolina primary.

Weston White
01-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Oh now that is an interesting idea also, a 24-hour walk/jog/run. When I was in the Navy we did something like that from Japan all the way to Australia, many crewmembers had voluntarily signed onto a run schedule and they all took turns running around the perimeter of the flight deck 24-hours a day until we arrived; it all added up to several something thousand miles ran.

Weston White
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
I was just thinking, is anybody aware of a Website that you can order Ron Paul hand held signs at? I can only find either small signs without sticks or small signs with metal wiring to be stuck in a front yard or wherever. I realize that I could get a stick from a craft store and order two signs and tape them all together, but I would like something more durable, weatherproof, and professional looking.

I thought also as an alternative idea individuals could on thier own (or with a few family/friends) run/jog a few times a week for the next year along busy city sidewalks for an hour here and there while wearing a Ron Paul shirt/sweater and carrying a 2'x2' Ron Paul sign.

mosquitobite
01-08-2012, 09:28 PM
I think this could easily be done on a local level if you're plugged into a meet up or facebook group?

All runners should be doing something like this! :)

TwoMinutesHate
01-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Heck, even people that aren't runners might want in on something like this. Could be beneficial in more ways than one!

Weston White
01-09-2012, 05:46 AM
So how is this for a handheld sign idea? These can be either single sided or double sided (either using plastic or aluminum), so I thought with a pole it would better (cheaper) to get two single sided and then tape them together.

Example Side A:
http://www.defendindependence.us/global_cloud/images/RP_RUN_1.PNG

Example Side B-1:
http://www.defendindependence.us/global_cloud/images/RP_RUN_2.PNG

Example Side B-2:
http://www.defendindependence.us/global_cloud/images/RP_RUN_3.PNG
* RON PAUL IMAGE SOURCE: http://www.sammillerart.com/ron-paul-painting/

Signs from: http://www.signsonthecheap.com/store/SignsOnTheCheap/Corp/Listings.aspx?CID=6F4D66386B612B546744493D&S=2&M=1

[And an alternate sign purchasing site is: http://www.buildasign.com/CustomSigns/browse-campaign]

Weston White
01-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Alright, here are the finalized sources for each at 18"x24" (you can modify them however you want, though a new seed will be generated):

Example A:
http://www.signsonthecheap.com/PowerDesign.aspx?T=5A553458324651644758474D4730584 D372F374731773D3D&Update=1&ciID=4162004&Edit=1

Example B-1:
http://www.signsonthecheap.com/PowerDesign.aspx?T=374D71352B4C68756343574948364E6 66655786B35773D3D&Update=1&ciID=4176126&Edit=1

Example B-2:
http://www.signsonthecheap.com/PowerDesign.aspx?T=707A646E6275544C7745466735556B6 66F5964387A673D3D&Update=1&ciID=4176119&Edit=1

yourname
01-10-2012, 09:18 AM
If it is going to be a cross country run, there could be a designated route where any number people would run a certain distance
(with Ron Paul banners & signs etc.), and then at each meetup point pass off a copy of the Constitution (in a respectful way, unlike
a baton) to the next group and continue this until the planned destination was reached.

yourname
01-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Just a thought...

Weston White
01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Sure yourname that idea is marvelous; however, it would require a ton of coordination and supplies to accomplish such a feat. Though I surmise you mean grassroots within individual counties, making such a plan more feasible.

Though when I read you post I immediately thought, something to the effect of a coordinated run within each of the fifty states -or according to Barry Soetoro fifty-seven states- with people either running to designated checkpoints along a pathway from California to Washington D.C. -during a planned four week running/bicycling window, for example - or from various points within each individual state to their own state capitol.

All of the participants could sign their names on the backside of various posters containing our Declaration of Independence, U.S. Constitution, and Bill of Rights, which could then be rolled up and secured in a small plastic tube and carried by the individual groups to either their states capital.

All of these could then either be mailed or otherwise delivered in some other fashion (such as by an experienced cross-country team of runners and/or cyclists) directly to Ron Paul’s office, for example.

Which if the latter were accomplished, perhaps there could be a final ceremony (organized and preplanned); whereas, a rather large gathering arrives for a full-day of peaceful support for Ron Paul (and Rand Paul) outside of the two Houses and then all of the posters could be hand delivered to either Ron Paul or his staff officials; also a two-hour video (for example) could be quickly produced and published on YouTube to go viral (thus, further ensuring that support for Ron Paul continues to grow).

Now that would surely send a strong message to our present duopoly controlled paradigm. Enough is enough, we want you despots gone, and we want Ron Paul!

yourname
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Yes... We could also concentrate the bike ride on one single route beginning at Independence Hall in Philadelphia and ending in D.C. This could be done as two day event/fundraiser, which is about 160 miles. I would definitely make the trek up from Florida to do this. As far as a date to do this, good symbolic days are, March 4th (when the U.S. government officially began operation) or June 21st (when the Constitution was ratified).

Weston White
02-26-2012, 12:46 AM
To follow-up on this thread:

I had ordered a couple of these signs and they came out wonderfully, though they are a bit large to hold while running/jogging (although smaller ones are also available for ordering on the above Website as well, about half the size as these), but it is not so bad if you place one of the edges along your shoulder to rest at an angle to the passing traffic.

I ordered them one-sided and placed them back-to-back with a 36” long by 7/8” diameter round wooden stick all taped between them and taped them to one another; and also I bought some lightweight Underamour gloves to wear while holding them.

Also I ordered a Jansport Coltrane fanny pack to hold a stack of Ron Paul Cards while running to hand out (and also a small bottle of water, snacks, keys, etc.), while wearing as much Ron Paul clothing-gear as possible, e.g., hat, cap, long-sleeve shirt, sweater, etc.

Also, to note, I ordered from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/store/signs-and-magnets/ two canvas banners and bought two wooden tool handles from Home Depot then zip tied them back to back to each of the wooden tool handles and to one another, which are about 5’ long and have sheet metal tapered around the tops (also I taped lightweight stripes of wood between the inside of each canvas, oblong along the top left and right portions, to keep them from drooping down so much -the canvas then can be folded like a large tri-folded pamphlet).

Also we ordered a couple of colonial costumes from Kohl’s and some accessories from a few Online costume stores to wear when walking around carrying the large banners along busy city streets (a blue/gray general costume for me and a dress-maiden costume for my wife).

I plan on hitting the streets around the Fresno, CA area throughout the remainder of this year to campaign for Ron Paul; hopefully this will be gimmicky enough to garnish the attention spans of the sleeping masses.

Weston White
04-28-2012, 02:49 AM
For a quick follow-up on this idea, my wife and I went jogging/fast-walking for the first time about two weekends ago, each holding a sign set (a designed above) and wearing Ron Paul long-sleeved shirts. It took about two-hours for us to make it around one complete city sized block during early-afternoon, during which time we received around one-dozen honks, a couple of verbal Ron Paul shouts, one high-fist of power, a few pointing vehicle occupants, many staring passerby’s and pedestrians, and a small group of kids walking opposite across the street that curiously yelled out “Ron Paul? Who’s that Ron Paul?”, (while receiving only one negative comment from some fool that yelled (expertly right into my right ear I might add) something to the effect of how much they cannot decide if they hate themselves or their parents more for allowing him to be born).

We were planning to run again last week (just starting out slow and plan to pick it up as we get more physically accustomed to the activity), but the weather sprang into the 90’s, then this week I have been a bit too ill with some sort of bug.

This seems to be highly effective, especially considering the small cost involved and the number of people involved. The only real bad points to be noted are that the many low hanging trees caused problems all throughout the run and my waist pack (with bottled water) was way to bouncy, I had to constantly hold onto it to keep it steady and to keep my small stack of Ron Paul cards from falling out; we will likely just do away with carrying waist packs in the future.

And of course we still need to try out the 6x2’ banner costume idea as well, which might also cause a few problems as the sidewalks seem to be a bit slimmer than I seem to recall them being, especially with all of the little trees placed about; and the angle might cause a bit of an issue for passing vehicles to read it, though I doubt that will actually turn out to be the case.

Also we have been hearing from a few coworkers that there have been Ron Paul groups of a respectable size that are patrolling (at least) one of our major shopping centers (Riverpark) on a consistent basis, so that is great news as well.