PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it more important to attack Romney than Santorum

NYgs23
01-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Every time there's been one of these "surge" candidates, we've all jumped on them, trying to take them down as quickly as possible. Obviously, we want to halt the Santorum surge, so he doesn't grab Iowa from under our noses. But isn't it equally important to attack Romney, who's been comparatively treated with kid gloves the whole time, so he doesn't run away with the whole thing. Remember that some of Santorum's lost support would go to Romney and visa versa (more so each way than to Paul according to PPP). We don't want either one running away with it while we focus on the other.

joshnorris14
01-02-2012, 01:55 AM
No reason to attack Santorum. There isn't enough time before Iowa and he isn't going anywhere after Iowa.

sailingaway
01-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Not yet. Ron wants to be THE conservative alternative. However, unless Santorum craters, looking at the numbers in the last two polls, Santorum is going to be close, and therefor not entirely out of the picture, until after SC when I expect he will be taken out.

sailingaway
01-02-2012, 01:56 AM
No reason to attack Santorum. There isn't enough time before Iowa and he isn't going anywhere after Iowa.

WE have to get his record out. We don't have to be nasty. The undecideds still have to pick and we want as many of them as we can get.

Lord Xar
01-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Spread Santorums garbage everywhere.. there is a lot of it.

The_Ruffneck
01-02-2012, 03:29 AM
No , we know romneys ceiling is 20-21 , we don't know what Santorums ceiling is.Going after Santorum will help split the vote further , some of those leaving santorum will naturally go to Paul.

ronpaulitician
01-02-2012, 03:37 AM
I'm still okay with the divide and conquer approach pursued by the campaign. Romney is the default pick of the GOP. It's about making the race a Paul vs Romney choice. Santorum is the last remaining "non-Romney, non-Paul" candidate. If we can survive his surge, we're looking pretty good. Man, I wish I could talk to that guy who asked me four years ago, as I was handing out "Who is Ron Paul" brochures, "Do you really think he can win?" Back then, being the eternal realist, I told him, "Probably not. But I don't vote for winners. I vote on principle." This time around, I would tell him, "You know what? Yes, I think he actually can win this thing."

opinionatedfool
01-02-2012, 07:19 AM
No, Santorums surge needs to be stopped. The last thing we need is to have perry, bachmann, and the grinch supporters switch to Santorum. According to ppp he is 2nd choice for a large percentage and his favorability ratings are pretty good. Both of these indicate he has room to keep surging. He absolutely needs to be taken down a couple points. As for Romney, he is the one we want to go against for the long hall.

brandon
01-02-2012, 07:21 AM
According to the campaigns internal polling, Romney and Paul aren't competing for the same group of voters.

The_Ruffneck
01-02-2012, 07:29 AM
According to the campaigns internal polling, Romney and Paul aren't competing for the same group of voters.
This is obviously incorrect since at least some of mittens supporters have Paul as their second choice? around 10% or so last time i checked
Every supporter helps at this point.

anewvoice
01-02-2012, 07:32 AM
We need positive Ron Paul ads imo, our approval ratings are too low, and we could use some repair work from the damage inflicted by slander machine!

Eric21ND
01-02-2012, 07:33 AM
I would have some anti-Santorum and anti-Romney handouts to give to voters prior to the caucus.

tbone717
01-02-2012, 07:40 AM
I would have some anti-Santorum and anti-Romney handouts to give to voters prior to the caucus.

That may backfire on us. Isn't the caucus speech the time which we are to persuade people to our candidate? I tend to think that at this late stage the most beneficial thing is to be positive, stick to the issue that matter most to voters (the economy), and highlight how Paul has been consistent for 30+ years and is the only one who will truly get control of the economic mess that we are in.

KingNothing
01-02-2012, 07:47 AM
In Iowa? There's no reason to attack either of them. We need to get our voters out to caucus.

After we win Iowa, then we can target Mittens Romney in NH and Frothy in South Carolina.

fatjohn
01-02-2012, 08:13 AM
We need positive Ron Paul ads imo, our approval ratings are too low, and we could use some repair work from the damage inflicted by slander machine!

Indeed positive light on RP negative on obama, no infighting in gop, Donīt knock down. Only knock up. This means in RPīs case only attack the president. Definetely not frothy. We donīt want frothy doubters leaving him and going to mittens or the other way around.

ronpaulyourmom
01-02-2012, 08:23 AM

I thought PPP showed that Paul and Romney supporters are closest to each other? Am I remembering this wrong?

Rincewind
01-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Yeah, we really need more positive stuff on Paul at the moment. But relative to each other, I think it would be more important to hit Santorum to try and knock a few of his supporters back to Bachmann.

Highstreet
01-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Yes, we should focus on how Paul's MORE electable than Romney and Obama, and how his Foreign Policy is stronger and more Conservative than the Liberal failed policy of Romneycare and Obama-policing the world leads to bankruptcy!

These are his two issues that the media continues to chant that have the most traction with conservatives.

PismoPam
01-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Mitt Romney's top 3 contributors in the first 3 quarters of 2011 all received bailouts from the Federal Reserve.
#1 Goldman Sachs gave Romney $354,700, chump change considering the bailout of $814,000,000.
#2 Credit Suisse Group gave Romney $195,250 after receiving $262,000,000 from the Fed.
#3 Morgan Stanley gave Romney $185,800 after getting the 2nd largest bailout, a whopping $2,040,000,000!
9 out of the top 20 contributors to the Romney campaign are on the top 20 list of companies bailed out by the Federal Reserve.
The bailout figures are from the GAO audit, page 144.

Of course we all know who Ron Paul's top 3 contributors are:
#1 US Airforce, #2 US Army, #3 US Navy

http://www.unelected.org/audit-of-the-federal-reserve-reveals-16-trillion-in-secret-bailouts
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/102566.html

limequat
01-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Santorum isn't worth the Campaign spending money on. After tomorrow he's irrelevant. He won't do anything in NH. It's up to us to do what can be done in the next 24 hours.

limequat
01-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Santorum Surge:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4ItBBoUf3ScI96XxpUofrUwxpqoxe_ jvbdTNAOOG_Sc0nx3SpVII7rWc6DQ

A Son of Liberty
01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Santorum isn't worth the Campaign spending money on. After tomorrow he's irrelevant. He won't do anything in NH. It's up to us to do what can be done in the next 24 hours.

This. Santorum is done after tomorrow. He doesn't have the money or the staff to bring it any further. Picking on Santorum is bottom-feeding. This race is between Romney and Paul.

samforpaul
01-02-2012, 10:29 AM
WE have to get his record out. We don't have to be nasty. The undecideds still have to pick and we want as many of them as we can get.

Agreed. I believe educating his voters on his connection to Arlen Specter would be powerful.
A lady in Bettendorf told me Saturday that she and her husband had their vote narrowed down to Santorum or Paul.

sailingaway
01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Huntsman in NH if we don't want to end up with another 'unvetted Santorum' figure there right before the primary. Media is pushing H like crazy. And H has been running personal smear ads, not policy, against Ron.