PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Laughing his way to the bank?

ronpaulhawaii
01-02-2012, 01:04 AM
The estates at Shenstone Farm...

The Santorums bought their oversized Shenstone “estate” even though his financial disclosure forms since 2001 have shown little family income beyond his Senate salary, now $162,100, and he admits that life hasn't been financially easy. The senator made a startling remark to The New York Times Magazine last spring: “We live paycheck to paycheck, absolutely.” But he explained that his parents help out. “They're by no means wealthy -- they're two retired VA [Veterans Administration] employees -- but they'll send a check every now and then,” he said. The Prospect decided to heed Santorum's advice by taking “an honest look at the family budget” -- his family budget...
What was curious was the source of the increased mortgage. It was a new private bank catering to “affluent investors and institutions” -- whose officers have contributed $24,000 to Santorum's political action committees and re-election campaign -- called Philadelphia Trust Company.
Rick and Karen Santorum do not appear to fit the profile of customers to whom the financial institution would normally issue a loan of any kind. According to information currently posted on Philadelphia Trust's Web site, banking services “are offered at no additional charge to our clients” and “are available only to investment advisory clients whose portfolios we manage,
According to one expert, Santorum appears to reap personal benefits from America's Foundation, the so-called leadership PAC controlled by Santorum, which has raised some $5 million from wealthy donors and business PACs over the last five years.
In fact, while America's Foundation has raked in millions from Washington lobbyists and big-business PACs, it has doled out just a fraction of that money on the stated purpose of Santorum's committee, which is supporting other candidates. From the start of 2001 until late 2005, according to its disclosure forms, America's Foundation raised a whopping $5,363,735, but spent just $967,632 on other candidates or political committees -- just 18.1 percent.
The $463,378 spent by Santorum's PAC on credit-card payments from 2001 through 2005 constituted 8.6 percent of all cash taken in, while comparable numbers for Kentucky's Mitch McConnell, his partner in the GOP Senate leadership, were $29,524 and 1.6 percent. All this leads experts to say that those expenditures appear highly unusual.
A recent study by the Center for Responsive Politics found that Santorum was No. 1 among all 535 members of Congress in raising money from lobbyists for his regular campaign fund.
The biggest source of income for America's Foundation is industry PACs -- particularly in the areas of banking, insurance, health care, and pharmaceuticals
Oddly enough, given Santorum's position as the Senate's leading social conservative, America's Foundation has raked in big dollars from gaming, tobacco, and liquor interests.
...the political chameleon...

http://prospect.org/article/little-help-his-friends

LisaNY
01-02-2012, 01:27 AM
sounds fishy, like the "charity" he ran. And I see the treasurer for the charity was also treasurer for America's Foundation.

Santorum has been handing out lots of checks from his charity, Operation Good Neighbor, since he formed it in 2001.

"To me, it was part of a mission that I set out, which is I'm a great believer in the non-profit sector. I strongly believe we have an obligation to try to get more money into that," Santorum said.

But Santorum's charity has also put money -- $216,000 -- into unexplained travel and meetings through 2004.

That's almost half of the $501,000 donated to community organizations, mostly in Philadelphia.

Who's doing all that traveling and where are they going? Team 4 asked the charity and the Senator, but they've refused to release the records.

"One thing I'm very clear about is to try to keep a separation between anything I do officially and the charity. I don't want the charity involved in politics," Santorum said.

But politics is involved in the charity. Santorum put political lobbyists and campaign staffers in charge of Operation Good Neighbor.

Charles Black is a member of the board of advisers for Operation Good Neighbor, and a federally registered lobbyist with the Washington firm BKSH.

One of his clients is Alcoa, a company that last year received a $1.9 million federal defense contract that Santorum and fellow Sen. Arlen Specter trumpeted in a news release.

Barbara Bonfiglio is treasurer of Operation Good Neighbor. She's also treasurer of Santorum's reelection campaign and his political action committee, America's Foundation. Bonfiglio is a principal in Williams and Jensen, a top Washington lobbying firm.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/7821894/detail.html#ixzz1iHe0tD6o

Romulus
01-02-2012, 08:21 AM
bump

Travlyr
01-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Interesting how it works like that.

Libertea Party
02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
bump. Somehow I missed this when it came out. Maybe others did too.

This is basically a Chris Dodd redux. Chris Dodd was forced to retire from his safe Senate seat in liberal Connecticut after 30 years in that seat and 46 total years in public office in CT. There is no way Santorum gets away with accepting a discounted loan when so many Americans are out of their homes because they couldn't get a better deal.

If a Connecticut institution like Chris Dodd (and his father before him) couldn't get away with it in the 8th most Democratic state in America then Santorum is sure as heck not going to get away with it in general election with independent voters dealing with economic troubles.

Will Fox run something like this for Santorum like they did with not? Maybe not but the MSM sure will!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvzYFUvqm2c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXS7z2SOCMw

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Rupert Murdoch would rather bathe in his own feces than see Ron Paul nominated. The chosen one is Romney or Gingrich. We need to do our best to stop it. He's not even a natural born American, and he's messing with our elections.

The One
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
My gf wanted to read Letters to Gabriel (don't ask me why). According to her, it goes for anywhere between $130 up to thousands of $$$ online. I found that odd.

Nathan Hale
02-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I could have sworn he was out of money.