PDA

View Full Version : Students could be the deciding factor...

heiwa
11-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I've been watching Dr. Paul and the news and there's something that's been bothering me...

While Dr. Paul is clearly enthused by the wildfire that is moving across campuses in the U.S., the MSM is reporting that students aren't really a factor because of their low turn out rate. In truth, young people are discounted in politics. Don't you think it's time to change that?

Personally, I'm tired of hearing that young people just don't care. My experiences on these boards and out demonstrating, has shown me that people of all ages are passionate about Liberty.

Maybe it's time to send a signal to the MSM that the students who support Ron Paul do in fact count...

Here's one simple idea that will increase the number of supporters for Dr. Paul, get national exposure including MSM coverage, increase the money bomb on Dec 16th, and send a signal to the PTB that they had better start paying attention to the Net generation...

1) Get together and write an open letter to your parents on why you support Ron Paul.
2) Include in the letter that instead of receiving presents during the holidays, you ask that they donate on the 16th.
3) Take out a full page ad in USA Today.
4) Clip the ad and send it to your parents with a hand written note saying you were part of the effort.

We can set up a chipin to cover the cost of the ad.

National exposure, increased donations, new supporters, a unique political statement.

Post your thoughts for the letter here... or any other ideas.

In Peace,
Jen

Quick
11-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Historically, younger people (18-29) have the worst voting turnout. So the MSM and campaigns rarely, if ever, focus on them.

I think they are going to be surprised when that age group has a big voting turn out this year. It will throw them for a loop, since they aren't even considering it on any of these polls, etc.

thoughtbombing
11-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I've been watching Dr. Paul and the news and there's something that's been bothering me...

While Dr. Paul is clearly enthused by the wildfire that is moving across campuses in the U.S., the MSM is reporting that students aren't really a factor because of their low turn out rate. In truth, young people are discounted in politics. Don't you think it's time to change that?

Personally, I'm tired of hearing that young people just don't care. My experiences on these boards and out demonstrating, has shown me that people of all ages are passionate about Liberty.

Maybe it's time to send a signal to the MSM that the students who support Ron Paul do in fact count...

Here's one simple idea that will increase the number of supporters for Dr. Paul, get national exposure including MSM coverage, increase the money bomb on Dec 16th, and send a signal to the PTB that they had better start paying attention to the Net generation...

1) Get together and write an open letter to your parents on why you support Ron Paul.
2) Include in the letter that instead of receiving presents during the holidays, you ask that they donate on the 16th.
3) Take out a full page ad in USA Today.
4) Clip the ad and send it to your parents with a hand written note saying you were part of the effort.

We can set up a chipin to cover the cost of the ad.

National exposure, increased donations, new supporters, a unique political statement.

Post your thoughts for the letter here... or any other ideas.

In Peace,
Jen

click the link in my signature and donate. NY Times Ad.. advertising the 16th... working on the site again, working on the content of the ad, and which date it will appear.

over 9000 dollars raised for this effort in 1 day, so far. completely grass roots.

the following day, after the 16th, we hit the Wall Street Journal with a message of NO TAXATION. And proclaiming VICTORY on the day before...

this is a COORDINATED BOMBING.

freelance
11-09-2007, 09:11 AM
The GOOD news is that younger voters (and I'm not sure if this means students) did turn out in '06.

Someone suggested the buddy system for voting, and that would really well with students. If we can use peer pressure to turn them out in numbers, that would help. Does anyone remember how easy it was to "sleep in" instead of going to class. Let's not let the student supporters "sleep in." Call them to remind them. Offer them a ride to the polls and let's get that buddy system in place.

thoughtbombing
11-09-2007, 09:16 AM
The GOOD news is that younger voters (and I'm not sure if this means students) did turn out in '06.

Someone suggested the buddy system for voting, and that would really well with students. If we can use peer pressure to turn them out in numbers, that would help. Does anyone remember how easy it was to "sleep in" instead of going to class. Let's not let the student supporters "sleep in." Call them to remind them. Offer them a ride to the polls and let's get that buddy system in place.

I'm renting a 16 person(I think) van to pick Ron Paul supporters up and take them to the Primary Polls. I suggest everyone get together and do the same thing. Meet-Up groups should take these vans to the polls together, then stand outside with signs, stickers, drinks, food, etc... BAM... BUY THE VOTES on the way in.

Have a few people go in and vote immediately, and then get them back in the vans to go and pound on doors where you've already been before to talk about Ron Paul, and tell them that you are offering rides to the polls, regardless of Political affiliation... on the ride to the polls, play a particularly moving RON PAUL speech... get everyone hyped.. etc...

Everyone go at once... VOTE AS A TEAM. Stand out there and campaign til the very end. Once your primary is over, raise money for other meetup groups to make it to the polls in Feb... make the trek to other states, rent a van, and pick people up there... it is of the utmost importance that the LAST NAME THEY HEAR BEFORE ENTERING THE BOOTH IS RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL.

tonyr1988
11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Our campus group has a list of people's phone numbers so that we can call them the day of (or the day before) to remind them to vote. This "mass" reminder + personal friends reminding each other should = unprecedented voter turnout.

I sure hope so. The MSM is entirely correct saying that young people don't matter in politics. To say they don't would be to deny history. We should change it. :)

freelance
11-09-2007, 09:52 AM
I just thought of something else. If the meetup groups could post a phone number for people who need rides to call, and then set up a bank of people willing to offer those rides, we could really get this organized.

Badger Paul
11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Nice to hear from you again Jen, what are you up to?

Isn't it nice that we have a campaign that specifically targets young people?

heiwa
11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Nice to hear from you again Jen, what are you up to?

Isn't it nice that we have a campaign that specifically targets young people?

Hey, Paul.

Doin' great. Movin' around a lot.

Between you and me, I think that students are our "secret" weapon. If they stepped forward as a group, they would garner tons of media attention and completely change the game.

I hesitated in posting because I have noticed that they are so passionate that it's a little scary to us older types. However, I also believe that they're are pretty darned savvy too - much more than I was. I have an almost mother like pride and trust in them to do the right thing. I just hope they'll speak out together.

In Peace,
Jen