PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knowledgable about Article 501c3?

DealzOnWheelz
11-09-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm not sure if thats the right number. It basically says that Churches that file a 501c3 to become tax exempt actually relinquish their right to endorse any political candidate.

Anyone have info on this?

If that is the case these Churces are basically taking a bribe in the form of tax exemption to not have any impact on a political race.

also seeing that Pat robinson just endorsed Rudy; I'd really like to know if he filed a 501c3 and if so I think his organization should be charged any and all taxes or whatever the punishment is for going against that.

any opinions or comments??

Chester Copperpot
11-09-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm not sure if thats the right number. It basically says that Churches that file a 501c3 to become tax exempt actually relinquish their right to endorse any political candidate.

If that is the case these Churces are basically taking a bribe in the form of tax exemption to not have any impact on a political race.

also seeing that Pat robinson just endorsed Rudy; I'd really like to know if he filed a 501c3 and if so I think his organization should be charged any and all taxes or whatever the punishment is for going against that.

YOu know what? Thats a very good point.. 501c3 organizations cannot support anything political..

However, if this is just Pat Robertson endorsing its probably okay..

WillInMiami
11-09-2007, 07:30 AM

Pat Robertson is free to endorse any candidate as long as it's a personal endorsement and not the enorsement of "the church". There is a distinction...

DealzOnWheelz
11-09-2007, 07:45 AM
ok was not sure about the difinitive difference

does anyone have a link to the actual article?

DealzOnWheelz
11-09-2007, 08:13 AM
bump
for more info...

margomaps
11-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Dude, it took me less than 10 seconds to find these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+26USC501

Enjoy! :)

Bradley in DC
11-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I started and run a 501(c)(3) which includes the Free World Media center which has programming on RonPaulRadio.com, but we are explicitly non-partisan. As a private individual, I do happen to support a candidate in this race. ;)

Mark
11-09-2007, 08:48 AM

To be clear.. if it's not already..

The DIFFERENCE in a Church being able to promote a political candidate
or not is in the FEDERAL guidelines.

I Incorporated a Denomination ("Mekchizedekian" ~ regular "Christian")

10 years ago.. http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/Corp.aspx?PitemId=4785114

Now.. I do... have "tax-exempt status" in North Carolina through
the NC Dept of Revenue.. which means.. I'm not required to file or pay taxes
on donations received..

However.. since I didn't apply for 501-C Status (Fed Gov)
I'm NOT restricted by the regulations hampering other Churches
like Pat R's..

However.. that ALSO can 'crimp' donations from people who seek to
subtract their Charitable Contributions from their income..

meaning.. if someone gave my Church a dollar
(which no one ever has.. except me)
they CAN NOT take the Charitable deduction on their Income Taxes..

however.. someone could donate a million dollars to my Church..

(obviously more than the $2300 individual contribution limits..)

and I could fund TV commercials, supply campaign materials for others,

subsidize people going to NH to help.. ect ect..

all perfectly legal.. because..

if my Church wishes to inform voters on their choices this election cycle,
and even endorse a specific candidate..

It can.

Because I am NOT restricted by the Fed Guidelines for 501-C Organizations..

But.. the person(s) donating to my Church could NOT take the deduction
from their taxes.. and not too many people can afford to give a million dollars
to a Charity without the option of taking it off their taxes..

Too bad.. because Dr Paul COULD.. for all intents and purposes..

raise $10,000,000's worth Capital as quickly as it would take to donate
to my Church..

because.. my Church endorses Dr Paul for President..

I hope that explains it ok.. any questions..? I'll do what I can.. :)

sketch
11-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Churches are automatically exempt from taxation per the follwing:

508(c)(1)(A):
Special rules with respect to section 501(c)(3) organizations.
(a) New organizations must notify secretary that they are applying for recognition of section 501(c)(3) status.
(c) Exceptions.
(1) Mandatory exceptions. Subsections (a) and (b) shall not apply toŚ
(A) churches, their integrated auxiliaries, and conventions or associations of churches.

Most churches have been pressured by the IRS to incorporate under 501(c)(3) rules which restrict what can be preached (voluntarily waiving 1st amendment rights). These churches are generally not aware of their automatic, mandatory exemption under other sections of the IRS code.

Mark
11-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Churches are automatically exempt from taxation per the follwing:

508(c)(1)(A):
Special rules with respect to section 501(c)(3) organizations.
(a) New organizations must notify secretary that they are applying for recognition of section 501(c)(3) status.
(c) Exceptions.
(1) Mandatory exceptions. Subsections (a) and (b) shall not apply to—
(A) churches, their integrated auxiliaries, and conventions or associations of churches.

Most churches have been pressured by the IRS to incorporate under 501(c)(3) rules which restrict what can be preached (voluntarily waiving 1st amendment rights). These churches are generally not aware of their automatic, mandatory exemption under other sections of the IRS code.

Right.. but.. as far as DEDUCTIONS go.. for the individual 'donator'...

Churches/non profits... apply for 501-C.. in order for the 'donators'
to be able to deduction the contribution..

And.. it REALLY helps getting contributions when people CAN deduct theirs..

Like I said.. someone can give my Church $10,000,000 and I can promote
Dr Paul until he's President and beyond..

but.. they could NOT.. deduct the $10 Million from their taxes.. :(

so.. it would take someone who doesn't CARE about taking the deduction..
to give the Church ANY amount of money at all..

$10 million/ $10 dollars / 10 cents... any amount..

Like.. I think Roxie shouldn't HAVE to sell the stuff she loves on eBay
in order to go to NH to help..

But..

NOBODY HAS DONATED A CENT TO MY CHURCH YET SO THAT I CAN HELP HER

sedele
11-09-2007, 09:46 AM
TITLE 26, Subtitle A, Chapter 1, Subchapter F, Part I, Sec. 501(c)(3)

Internal Revenue Code that list's organizations that shall be exempt from taxation and reads as follows:

Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By law, the 501c3 church may not:

preach 'politically incorrect' sermons

influence legislation

participate in political action

endorse candidates

oppose candidates

publish or distribute political positions

Perhaps this is why the organized church today is silent concerning the actions of antichirst government. Today's 501c3 preachers and presidents are ignorant if they do not know what is happening. Then what are they doing preaching? The truth is they are hypocrites who say they are "Christians." Many want us to believe we should be happy with "Christian" president Bush, who performs the same act as they do. This silence and cover-up advances the antichrist global government. However it is that time when Jesus told us the pulpits would be full of FALSE TEACHERS coming in His Name. By silence they even cover-up for the likes of Traitor, Mass Murderer, Whoremonger, and liar Bill Clinton. They are trying to serve two masters.

Perhaps if we had real churches we would have real preachers. A real preacher would preach the Law to the oppressor and Liberty to the people.

Mark
11-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Perhaps if we had real churches we would have real preachers. A real preacher would preach the Law to the oppressor and Liberty to the people.

Thank God that my Church never applied for 501 C3 for that very purpose.

sedele
11-09-2007, 10:23 AM

Thank God that my Church never applied for 501 C3 for that very purpose.

Amen Brother! We need more Churches like yours! (as long as your doctrine is sound of Course) :)

sedele
11-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Posted this in the General Politics and Other forum because this thread might get moved there anyway.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=381836#post381836

Mark
11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Amen Brother! We need more Churches like yours! (as long as your doctrine is sound of Course) :)

Oh.. you can count on that..

I'm 48.. and Jesus has been my best friend, Lord, and Savior
since about as long as I can remember as a very young child

I'm also a form of a 'modern day' 'lifetime' Nazarite as per Numbers Chap 6..

so.. my service to The Most High God is also very dedicated.. so to speak.. ;)

6:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

6:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD:

6:3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

6:4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

6:5 All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.

I just posted a thread about asking for donations to help promote
voter awarenes in NH and beyond..

but.. I think it got buried before anyone read it because so many people
are posting about little blogs and stuff.. and so..

apparently didn't recognize a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to help Dr Paul when they saw one..

if they had even bothered to look

weatherbill
11-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a great Ron Paul flyer for churches. PM me your email to get it..... !

carpe diem....seize this day

Nefertiti
11-10-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't know who Roxie is but people could also give money directly to Roxie rather than your church. How many times in one day have you been harassing forum members to donate to your church so that you can allegedly spend the money on the campaign? For months people have been spending their money on specific chip-ins and projects directly to the people doing those projects-so why should they donate money to your church and its nebulous support for Ron Paul? Do you even have a congregation or just a non-profit organization? How much do you pay yourself? What kind of church operates out of a 3-room 566 sq. foot condo (http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=6482882)?

John P Slevin
12-10-2007, 10:26 PM
neither a 501c3 nor a church (which is a different type of 501) can support ANY federal candidate.