PDA

View Full Version : Simplify the Message: "Policing the world is unsustainable big government spending"

normal_rc
01-01-2012, 04:49 AM
I think we need to figure out a short, simple, easy-to-remember, one sentence explanation of Ron Paul's non-interventionist foreign policy. Something that the average American will remember, repeat to their friends, family & co-workers when debating politics, and convince people that Ron Paul's non-interventionist foreign policy is the direction USA needs to head in.

The best I could come up with is..

"Policing the world is unsustainable big government spending"

Why: Ron Paul's political opponents are beating him down in the area of foreign policy. We saw it in the last Iowa debate. And we see it when media and establishment politicians paint Ron Paul as being weak in foreign policy, talking about the Strait of Hormuz, and saying he's ok with with Iran getting nuclear weapons. Fair or not, Ron Paul's foreign policy of non-intervention is being demonized, which is making it much harder to win over mainstream America.

Modern society has a very short attention span. I remember in the Bush vs Kerry debates, they talked about the invasion of Iraq. Kerry gave a long winded explanation about the negatives. Maybe he was right, but I could feel millions of American's eyes glazing over, and not hearing anything. Bush broke it down with one simple phrase: "The world is better off without Saddam Hussein". Right or wrong, the average American can hear that short easy-to-remember phrase, see how that makes sense, and later repeat it in casual conversation with friends, family & co-workers.

Breaking Down the Words: I used the word "unsustainable", because it reminds people that we have $15 trillion in national debt, and trillion dollar budget deficits. And the phrase "big government spending" is a reminder to Republicans - especially Tea Partiers - that military spending is a form of big government spending, which is something they claim to hate.

Usage: So when asked about how Ron Paul would deal with things like the Strait of Hormuz, or whether he would use military force to prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons, the response could be like..

1) Mention that no options are off the table.
2) Mention that if we do decide to go to war, Congress needs to declare war, in accordance to the constitution.
3) Mention that we need to remember that "Policing the world is unsustainable big government spending". Elaborate with how it puts us deeper in debt, how it's not effective (example Iraq), and how it ends up creating more enemies for America.
4) Mention that USA needs to change direction, and adopt a more sustainable policy of non-intervention & neutrality, like Switzerland.

Summary: I'd like to hear your thoughts on coming up with a short, simple, easy-to-remember, one sentence explanation of Ron Paul's anti-interventionist foreign policy. Something that even the most scattered-brained person will remember, repeat to their friends, family & co-workers in casual political debates, and convince people that Ron Paul's non-interventionist foreign policy is the direction USA needs to head in.

TurboTenderloin
01-01-2012, 04:53 AM
unsustainable is a buzz-word right now.

great slogan you came up with

lilymc
01-01-2012, 04:57 AM
I like it. I wonder if I'd get 'zotted' from FR if I put that in my tagline. haha

normal_rc
01-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Any other feedback?

Kevin Smyth
01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
That slogan would work on Independents and many Democrats but unfortunately Republican media pushes this anti-Muslim line all the time which creates an environment that promotes new wars as long as the intended war target is a Muslim nation. These folks seem indifferent to what these wars cost.

european
01-01-2012, 02:13 PM
1st of: welcome to the forums normal_rc! nice first post you made.

I think you dumbed it down very well (i mean this in a positive way). It is easy to understand and remember indeed.
The feedback I have is that you can give a short example for explenation if they ask for it:
"China helps us to pay our debts, so they loan us the money we need, but then we use that money to send troops to Australia to defend against China, but China isn't doing anything. So this costs us only money, it makes no sense and is making us bankrupt. Only special interest like the weaponindustry lobby is making money out of this. And this is dangerous foreign policy that makes us dependent of China. Ron Paul is the only candidate who wants to end this madness"
(or another likewise example that you prefer)

ps. and dont forget the media earn a lot of money during wartime too! Everyone has something to talk about, spectacular footage is shown, etc. And in between there are breaks with commercials that make them money.

Tod
01-01-2012, 02:22 PM
good phrase.....Hope you don't mind if I use it!

normal_rc
01-01-2012, 02:28 PM
1st of: welcome to the forums normal_rc! nice first post you made.

I think you dumbed it down very well (i mean this in a positive way). It is easy to understand and remember indeed.
The feedback I have is that you can give a short example for explenation if they ask for it:
"China helps us to pay our debts, so they loan us the money we need, but then we use that money to send troops to Australia to defend against China, but China isn't doing anything. So this costs us only money, it makes no sense and is making us bankrupt. Only special interest like the weaponindustry lobby is making money out of this. And this is dangerous foreign policy that makes us dependent of China. Ron Paul is the only candidate who wants to end this madness"
(or another likewise example that you prefer)

ps. and dont forget the media earn a lot of money during wartime too! Everyone has something to talk about, spectacular footage is shown, etc. And in between there are breaks with commercials that make them money.

If I had to crunch your China-Australia example down to one short, easy-to-remember line, I'd first say..

"We borrow money from China, to defend ourselves against China"

And then follow with the arguments you posted.

I think it's important to boil things down to easy catchphrases that the average American will remember and repeat one week later to their friends, family & co-workers.

Even if they forget all the details, let them walk away with one compelling, easy-to-remember phrase that they will remember & repeat.

normal_rc
01-01-2012, 02:40 PM
good phrase.....Hope you don't mind if I use it!

Of course you can use it.

In fact, I hope Ron Paul uses it, to tighten up his foreign policy argument a bit.

I'm just looking for suggestions/feedback to see if we can simplify it even further, improve it, to the point that average Americans are repeating it to each other.

Our political opponents come up with simple lines like "The world is better off without Saddam Hussein" and "Ron Paul doesn't mind if Iran gets nukes". Fair or not, those are easy-to-remember lines that will be repeated by average Americans in mini-debates at coffee shops & kitchen tables across the country. We need a tight, easy-to-remember line that will be transported & repeated throughout the community in those mini-debates.

normal_rc
01-01-2012, 04:26 PM
That slogan would work on Independents and many Democrats but unfortunately Republican media pushes this anti-Muslim line all the time which creates an environment that promotes new wars as long as the intended war target is a Muslim nation. These folks seem indifferent to what these wars cost.

So how would you modify the statement for a Republican audience?

FreedomProsperityPeace
01-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I agree. Dr. Paul has used this argument a tiny bit in the debates, but it should become his main focus going forward IMO. Draw the parallel between big government domestically and internationally.

Liberty74
01-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I love the thread title. Now copyright that phrase and sell it to Paul to use over and over... :p

normal_rc
01-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I love the thread title. Now copyright that phrase and sell it to Paul to use over and over... :p

What would be the best way for me to suggest this phrase to the Ron Paul campaign?

I know I'm just a regular guy, and not a seasoned political strategist. But Ron Paul's delivery in the last Iowa debate bothered me. I really want Ron Paul to tighten up his message when he gets attacked on foreign policy.

mosquitobite
01-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm getting the response: "Ron Paul is Neville Chamberlain"

Highstreet
01-02-2012, 12:10 PM
"Policing the world is unsustainable big government spending"

Exactly! We need to REFRAME Paul's Strong Defense as the only Conservative position:

"Policing the World leads to Bankruptcy historically!"

"Paul's Strong Conservative Defense is the only Sustainable Defense!"

"Romneycare has joined the Liberal failed foreign policy of policing the world"

Highstreet
01-02-2012, 12:11 PM

I always respond that Paul would CRUSH Iran if they did anything beyond saber rattling.

mosquitobite
01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Can someone give me a chart or article about defense vs MILITARY spending? (preferably less opinion,more factual?)

normal_rc
01-02-2012, 03:07 PM

I'm not that concerned with average Americans using that argument. Average Americans watch MTV Jersey Shore, and don't know who Neville Chamberlain is.

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
@OP this is what I was getting at in my "soundbite" thread here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?344882-Perhaps-soundbite-speak-training-is-in-order&highlight=soundbite) FWIW.

ronpaulitician
01-02-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm not that concerned with average Americans using that argument. Average Americans watch MTV Jersey Shore, and don't know who Neville Chamberlain is.
Isn't he the guy that shot J.R.?

normal_rc
01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
@OP this is what I was getting at in my "soundbite" thread here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?344882-Perhaps-soundbite-speak-training-is-in-order&highlight=soundbite) FWIW.

Ok, but as I asked before, what would be the best way for me to suggest my phrase/soundbite to the Ron Paul campaign?

I could use the general contact form on ronpaul2012.com, but I have a feeling that my message would never reach the right people.

normal_rc
01-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Ok, but as I asked before, what would be the best way for me to suggest my phrase/soundbite to the Ron Paul campaign?

I could use the general contact form on ronpaul2012.com, but I have a feeling that my message would never reach the right people.

Well, I sent my suggested catchphrase (and explanation) to the general contact form on ronpaul2012.com.

If there's a better way to make suggestions to the Ron Paul campaign, let me know.

coffeewithgames
01-03-2012, 02:16 AM
I personally don't like the term, "policing" and prefer something like, "Foreign welfare is an unsustainable big government program."