PDA

View Full Version : Finding the Goldwater & Reagan Supporters

tbone717
12-31-2011, 09:37 PM
We have talked about reaching out to the older generation. I am curious if there is a way we can get old mailing lists of Goldwater and/or Reagan supporters for the campaign to contact. I know the campaign has ties with Goldwater Jr., so that information may still be available today. I am not aware of any connection to the old Reagan camp.

In 1964 Goldwater won the nomination in a contest that is very similar to the one we have here - a blue state liberal vs a red state conservative. If you voted for Goldwater in 1964 then you are at least 69 years old (I believe the voting age was 21 then). In 1976 the Reagan movement began, culminating in 1980. The youngest Reagan supporters from 1980 would be 49 today.

I would imagine there are still some sort of records from those old campaigns that someone, somewhere would have. It would be a huge task to purge the list I am sure, but could be very beneficial at finding those old school conservatives that were part of the first and second conservative revolution in the GOP. Hopefully, we can reach some of these people to bring them on board for this revolution.

Any thoughts?

Aratus
12-31-2011, 09:40 PM
this is an excellent idea for new hampshire in the more remote areas where the pace of life is small town and slightly slower.

Aratus
12-31-2011, 09:42 PM
mitt romney has been centrist flipflopper mining the mother lode of eisenhower Republicanism amoung the elderly. he also resembles his late father george romney.

Voluntary Man
12-31-2011, 09:55 PM
We have talked about reaching out to the older generation. I am curious if there is a way we can get old mailing lists of Goldwater and/or Reagan supporters for the campaign to contact. I know the campaign has ties with Goldwater Jr., so that information may still be available today. I am not aware of any connection to the old Reagan camp.

In 1964 Goldwater won the nomination in a contest that is very similar to the one we have here - a blue state liberal vs a red state conservative. If you voted for Goldwater in 1964 then you are at least 69 years old (I believe the voting age was 21 then). In 1976 the Reagan movement began, culminating in 1980. The youngest Reagan supporters from 1980 would be 49 today.

I would imagine there are still some sort of records from those old campaigns that someone, somewhere would have. It would be a huge task to purge the list I am sure, but could be very beneficial at finding those old school conservatives that were part of the first and second conservative revolution in the GOP. Hopefully, we can reach some of these people to bring them on board for this revolution.

Any thoughts?

If you're talking about the ground floor supporters, not the coat tailers, then I think they're already on board. It's just the Rockefeller Republicans who pay lip service to wishing for "another Raegan" who are a lost cause. Those people just want another Republican pitchman of Reagan's caliber. Those people didn't care about Raegan's message (never mind that he didn't deliver); if they cared about the message, they're already voting for Paul. Keep in mind that everyone of Paul's opponents invokes the Reagan mystique; they'd just like us all to forget the message.

tbone717
12-31-2011, 09:59 PM
If you're talking about the ground floor supporters, not the coat tailers, then I think they're already on board. It's just the Rockefeller Republican who post lip service to wishing for "another Raegan" who are a lost cause. Those people just want another Republican pitchman of Reagan's caliber. Those people didn't care about Raegan's message (never mind that he didn't deliver); if they cared about the message, they're already voting for Paul. Keep I'm mind that everyone of Paul's opponents invokes the Reagan mystique; they'd just like us all to forget the message.

The thing is do we know they are on board? Particularly the older Goldwater crowd. There were some activists back in those days that were as passionate about Goldwater as we are with Paul. They could be quite an asset if we can find them and get them working. We may need to reignite that spark that they once had.

dbill27
12-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Chris mathews voted for goldwatee

goldwater's ghost
12-31-2011, 10:13 PM

Any thoughts? add pat buchanan. there is a natural crossover potential there. paleocons and libertarians have many shared interests

tbone717
12-31-2011, 10:14 PM
add pat buchanan. there is a natural crossover potential there. paleocons and libertarians have many shared interests

Nice thought, and probably a computerized list from Pat I would think.

goldwater's ghost
12-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice thought, and probably a computerized list from Pat I would think. yeah. would be alot easier than a goldwater list lol. probably a bunch of paper napkins. the other good thing with the buchanan crowd is the same MSM assault happened to their candidate. i bet they would love to get back at the estaBLISHMENT

Voluntary Man
12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd be shocked if we weren't already drawing the Goldwater, Buchanan, and Reagan Revolution people. Perot voters may be another matter.

kylejack
12-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Reagan favored a pretty aggressive foreign policy.

tbone717
12-31-2011, 10:56 PM
Reagan favored a pretty aggressive foreign policy.

True, but he was a conservative who ran against the moderate/liberal wing of the party. And honestly, we care more about foreign policy than the average voter does. With all the PFH calls I have done, very few people cite foreign policy as an issue they care about. The economy, taxes, spending, etc is what people care about this cycle.

klamath
12-31-2011, 11:01 PM
The trouble is that the paul campaign never did what many of us old Reagan and Goldwater supporter implored them to do. Put together a team of experts on defence and put out a defense plan. They put out an economic plan yet they had the majority of the republicans on board with his economic policies, it was the defence plan he needed to sell. He didn't and I am afraid it will cost him the election. I was hoping beyond hope that RP could pull it off without a plan, after it became too late, but the numbers are not looking good.

enoch150
12-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Find the leaders of the local chapters of the Reform Party. Nearly all of the older Paul supporters I know are ex Perot voters.

KingRobbStark
12-31-2011, 11:50 PM
Most of them are dead.

Voluntary Man
01-01-2012, 10:24 AM
The trouble is that the paul campaign never did what many of us old Reagan and Goldwater supporter implored them to do. Put together a team of experts on defence and put out a defense plan. They put out an economic plan yet they had the majority of the republicans on board with his economic policies, it was the defence plan he needed to sell. He didn't and I am afraid it will cost him the election. I was hoping beyond hope that RP could pull it off without a plan, after it became too late, but the numbers are not looking good.

You're right. Nothing satisfies a question like an answer. Spell it out. However, I disagree that it's too late to do so. Late ...but not too late.

matt0611
01-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I think that a video showing Goldwater and Reagan and Ron Paul would be a good ad in places like NH.

bbartlog
01-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Most of them are dead.

And the ones that aren't may have drifted very far indeed, politically, in fifty years. Hillary Clinton campaigned for Goldwater as a youngster. I think going that far back would be a tremendous effort for very little return.

Drivingrain
01-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Chris mathews voted for goldwatee

Yes, but...using CM's words, he then "grew up" and realized we need the state for everything:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=matthews%20ron%20paul&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDIQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDAl 9V9I5dOk&ei=iYsAT8OTH-Xt0gHY4qi7Ag&usg=AFQjCNF_DvrpfBlnd2RfL-LsO3ZjmbXBlg