PDA

View Full Version : New Funny Video Made in Support of Ron Paul. Watch and Share to Help Me Help Ron Paul

commonsenselako
12-31-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYlgoJcL5M0

teacherone
12-31-2011, 03:51 PM
wtf??

opinionatedfool
12-31-2011, 03:53 PM
umm.... ok....

JoshLowry
12-31-2011, 03:53 PM
What?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx9Cmp6qQzY

commonsenselako
12-31-2011, 04:02 PM
This is an intended series of videos to help explain Austrian Economics, which is the economic viewpoint of Ron Paul. This first video is about free trade.

teacherone
12-31-2011, 04:05 PM
This is an intended series of videos to help explain Austrian Economics, which is the economic viewpoint of Ron Paul. This first video is about free trade.

oh...i liked the fireman and the dancing kung-fu arab guy.

commonsenselako
12-31-2011, 04:12 PM
That is to try and entertain between points. I'm looking to tailor this video series, as to create awareness of Ron Paul's economic ideas, so please if anyone has any suggestions. Also, did anyone take away from this video what the effects of removing trade restrictions would be?

teacherone
12-31-2011, 04:17 PM
ok... i don't think you're gonna achieve your goals with that.

1. you speak to fast.
2. it's too goofy, no one will take it seriously
3. the skits are a little gay.

i would attempt to rework it without the interludes ... just come up with a voice over with humor added into the text.

the skit things are really distracting and detract from your message.

best of luck and welcome to the forums!

teacherone
12-31-2011, 04:17 PM
i would love to see a libertarian john stewart...maybe a news show modeled thusly?

commonsenselako
12-31-2011, 04:31 PM
I was thinking about a news show, but my goal is to push more conceptual things, as I feel if people understood Ron Paul's economics, there would be absolutely no reason not to vote for him. The thing is concepts are not funny, so I have to use specific social critiques to entertain people while in each episode I push an idea. The idea in this episode was to show free trade = prosperity. This is a simple idea, but over time it will accumulate and people will learn about the Austrian Business Cycle and what can the government do to promote prosperity. It is goofy yes, but I had a version without the interludes and showed it to people and they felt overwhelmed. Not to shoot you down, but if talked slower, I'm afraid people will tune out, as it will no longer seem like entertainment, but a lecture. Also if your libertarian, why does the gayness of the skits trouble you? I'm not gay, but our motto is pro liberty, so attacking taboos seems appropriate. Thank you for your welcome and I appreciate your critique.

Danke
12-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Nice tie.

commonsenselako
01-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Thank you. Nice Samuel L Jackson picture.

Revolution9
01-01-2012, 08:04 AM
lulz... Keep refining. Sight gags were funny.

Rev9

commonsenselako
01-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Thank you Revolution 9. Do you have any suggestions on how and what to refine? The next episode is about what is wealth (The talents of the people, or are GDP) and what is not wealth (The government and the dollar).

Revolution9
01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
If yer gonna do these they are absurd and gotta roll like a Looney Tunes cartoon or a Monty Python skit. Tighter editing would help and cut the time down. Have some of the voice explanation happen over the sight gags instead of stopping and cutting, then returning. Try tuning your voice so it is more announcer archetype like the Big Dog video..more rhythm, pauses and emphasis so certain phrases stand out. Do video cut-ins like the news do it with corner boxes of a pic with text..usually a face, name and blurb, but can be other...and use proper ratios. It has a certain Marx Bros feel to it. Emphasize that?

Rev9

commonsenselako
01-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Thank you Revolution 9. In all my marketing on forums your answer has been one of the most helpful and specific. Is it okay if I ask your opinion, do people care about Austrian Economics? I'm wondering, because when I show the video to people I get one of three responses; "WTF?" or "That was funny, but are you speaking in Chinese?" or "That was absurd, but entertaining and enlightening." A good percentage of the "WTF?" are from Ron Paul supporters as that is one of my main target audiences hoping they'll share and explain it to non Ron Paul supporters, while the "That was absurd, but entertaining and enlightening," comes from the politicians, executives and those with an understanding of economics who as a whole have much less voting power then the sum of the majority.

What drives the majority of Ron Paul voters, Liberty or Economics? Thankfully in Austrian Economics the 2 go hand and hand in many ways, but what brought you to follow Ron Paul, do you think he can fix the economy or is it his message of liberty and his sincerity? The video could always be better, but am I delivering the most effective message?

Revolution9
01-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Well..folks are interested in anything if presented in a bombastic manner. Just look at the viral miasma of modern culture. My thoughts would be to give your episode a header title..in this case Austrian Economics and state that is what your report is about. Then come off with a pre-round-up of your topic with a few serious and cogent memes that are devastatingly simple to grasp and then start with an absurd premise, sight gag or insert image to deliver the punch line/s. Then go immediately to the next couple of explanation sentences and then after the set-up, knock them down with absurdities. Continue for two to three minutes per topic. Make sure the main points are legible so you don't just go WTF?? and you can fast flurry deliver sight gags, partial skits etc. Don't be afraid to cut a skit off that isn't going anywhere. Monty Python did it all the time and got some real gems out of it. Camera positions should vary. Amateurs always hand hold at shoulder level and shoot straight. Camera roll can add a flavor of absurdity as in the Batman series where lines of perspective converge to non frame parallels.

If you can get these to two to three minutes and consistently funny they can get picked up by any number of money making outlets.

I think the main thing drives people is liberty..after liberty comes sex of which economics plays a huge role and is part of family and life. After that it is food, then creature comforts of which private property is prime. With an overheading of liberty, and then sub-headings of money, life, family and law with each of those broken down into constituents you could have a series. If ya want help punching your next one up give me a PM.

Rev9

commonsenselako
01-01-2012, 09:43 PM
I thought about using a title like "Austrian Economics," but then I wondered, "What am I going to call the others?" I also thought about using a tabloid title like, "Gingrich Comes Out of the Closet," but I felt that was underhanded. Your idea to summarize my topics in the beginning gave me a good idea. Maybe after the intro do a spoof of a cholesterol, or erectile dysfunction commercial. Something like going fishing or taking a jog and having the narrator talk about financial distress in a humorous manner, as to engage people and then do what I've been doing, but do it tighter and somehow more comprehensible.

Somehow I have to make the jokes more appealing, so the message isn't lost. A stockbroker friend of mine got a real kick out of the, "Give us back our hamsters," but a few of my college buddies didn't see the critique of the lack of a unified message or solution (or the solutions that really aren't solutions) of the Wall street protesters and thought, "Why hamsters?" A politician friend of mine got a good laugh out of the comparison of the paraplegic squirrel and the Iranian president, but others thought he was just pointing at the squirrel. Some thought that female interns in White House really do have to travel in pairs and didn't see the comparison to elementary school, or that I would be necessary if politicians were sexual deviants like I portray them. Maybe the majority do not find humor in absurdities like I do. Personally I love Monty Python, but I dislike modern stand up that is usually centered around race, plus it would be the wrong angle to use to promote libertarian principles. Unfortunately even though that is my goal, some only took away the message behind my William James quote.

I may take you up on your offer, but I have to see if anything pans out from my marketing. Even though people do care about their finances, they may not care about my message, as it initially doesn't put a dime into their pocket. I could do a episode about liberty, but I couldn't do a series about it. There is just not enough material and I didn't read, Mises, Rothbard, Hayek, Smith, Friedman and Keynes for nothing, but if people can't relate then they won't watch. People can relate to pop culture and they can relate to recessions, but can they relate to the Austrian Business Cycle? I'll do what I can, as I hate to leave the primaries to just my one vote and what if its too late when the primaries come to Chicago. As always thank you Rev9

Revolution9
01-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Title The series Austrian Economics - A Perspective. Then have sections of that schools ideas as single presentations within the series. Like The Business Cycle. Loads of ridiculous charts for Keynsian economic dynamics with hockey stick, flatline, dropoff and explosion graphs and rapidfire multi-syllabic economo-babble. Cut the skits and sight gags into that and then cut to the Austrian Business Cycle with a few simple graphs of its most important principle with a common sense salt of the earth humorous analogy to wind up the explanation. Next video you cover sound money. A guy with a printer shows up and tries to con a group of folks exchanging some goods that they need to use his printouts to facilitate the transaction and only owe him 5% for the ease he introduces into the transaction. Short, start with a logical premise, counterpoint with a string of absurdities, sight gags and skits and wind up with a humorous analogy then sign off till next time. I don't know what yer marketing but if you do a good series of comedy political stuff on youtube you can make some decent ad bucks.

Rev9

pacelli
01-01-2012, 11:30 PM
If this is a fraternity pledge prank I am not impressed.

commonsenselako
01-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Its not a fraternity pledge prank and no were do I imply that it is. You do realize we are allies not enemies, so there is no reason to be derogatory. I spent a lot time reading about economics, (which is not part of studies) so I could help people understand Ron Paul's economics, in an effort to him win the election. If you do not like my presentation or my humor, I am open to suggestions and would greatly appreciate constructive criticism. Regardless I thank you for taking your time to watch my video and letting me know what you think.

commonsenselako
01-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Thank you Rev9. I got a kick out of your ideas and they give me great outline. I read a book on marketing for Youtube videos and primarily it taught me to do what I'm doing now, plus reach out to bloggers, post on various video sites or also some more options if you have money. I appreciate the suggestion to monetize, but I do not want to put anything that may make it aesthetically less appealing. If I sway any voters that is payment enough. I was hoping it would appeal to college age individuals, as they are the most active online, so maybe their friends would see it and get inspired to vote. I spent the last 5 days sending emails to bloggers and posting on forums, but I don't think I have made any progress. I have gotten very good responses from economics forums, but the video only reaffirms what they already know, so I doubt anyone was swayed. This forum is the battleground I need to conquer, as most likely the highest percentage of the average young Ron Paul supporters reside here.

Quick question to everyone. Who is your favorite comedian and why?

pacelli
01-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Its not a fraternity pledge prank and no were do I imply that it is. You do realize we are allies not enemies, so there is no reason to be derogatory. I spent a lot time reading about economics, (which is not part of studies) so I could help people understand Ron Paul's economics, in an effort to him win the election. If you do not like my presentation or my humor, I am open to suggestions and would greatly appreciate constructive criticism. Regardless I thank you for taking your time to watch my video and letting me know what you think.

Thanks for clarifying, I apologize if my remark came across as derogatory. I understand what you are trying to do with the comedic approach. I think it is difficult to combine economic theory with comedy.

I watched the video again. Within the first couple minutes I just go, "HUH??" There's no connection with the viewer, so the squeegee analogy and the hamster thing were really disorienting. I think you need to first establish a connection with the viewer and then pull out something funny. While I think the skits take away from your message, I also think the pacing of your voice is more lecturing, thereby setting the viewer up for a, "WTF??" response. You are throwing so many words and analogies out there that it is difficult to follow what you are saying, let alone process how the words what you are saying is funny.

I don't get the sense that you are connecting on a human level with the viewer, which is something that most comedians do. Many comedians talk in simple terms with emotions, funny facial expressions, and talk about subjects that everybody can connect with. You're reporting economics with a relatively emotionless expression, scrunched up eyes, and interrupting your speech with skits that come and go so quickly that it is difficult to connect how they have anything to do with what you were talking about. The gingrich impersonation was not even remotely connected to how gingrich comes off, making it very unfunny. The edit on/ edit off thing with the farmer hat & southern accent, the red nose thing, and glasses were also difficult to follow in terms of how it is supposed to be funny. So the viewer looks at it as a collection of unfunny, unrelated gag attempts.

I'd suggest that you slow down, take out big words, move the camera angle closer to your face (this is the "in thing" now, close camera angles), and really think about the skits. Approach the project not from a standpoint of how much information can I cram in, but rather how can I emotionally tickle the viewer and draw them into continuing to watch. I'd really think about the skits too.

From a comedic standpoint, the part that made me chuckle was the way the afghan yak herder dude was dancing around the stick.

commonsenselako
01-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you Pacelli. So slow down, move the camera closer to my face and connect more with the audience. The first two I could do with relative ease, but how could I connect more with the audience? You don't have to answer if your busy, but if you could give specific areas in this video were that could be accomplished, so I could accomplish them in the next video because I'm not sure when and were to add emotions and expressions. Again thank you.

pacelli
01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Thank you Pacelli. So slow down, move the camera closer to my face and connect more with the audience. The first two I could do with relative ease, but how could I connect more with the audience? You don't have to answer if your busy, but if you could give specific areas in this video were that could be accomplished, so I could accomplish them in the next video because I'm not sure when and were to add emotions and expressions. Again thank you.

Sure. Its like what rev9 says about being bombastic. You've got to go over the top. For an introduction to comedic facial expressions and connecting with the viewer, watch some Lewis Black and Jim Gaffigan stand-up routines.

commonsenselako
01-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Thank you Pacelli. I will do my best to incorporate your suggestions. I appreciate it very much.