PDA

View Full Version : FL - 16 y/o facing jail for wishing bad karma on a facebook post

Anti Federalist
12-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Note that they people she said karma would catch up to for vandalizing her car are not in trouble.

Why do people post things on Facebook under their own names when everybody knows that cops and government crawl that site 24/7 looking for stuff just like this?

'Karma' Facebook post leads to criminal charges

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/pinellas/facebook-post-criminal-charges-122911

LARGO - Is it a crime to wish bad karma on someone? A Pinellas County teenager says she was suspended from school and charged with a crime just for posting a karma comment on her Facebook page.

Allie Scott is a junior at Osceola High School. The 16 year old says it all started in the school parking lot last month when she parked her brother's car in another girl's spot. She was asked to move it, and when she did at the end of the day, the car had been scratched up with a key.

Without naming who she thought did it, she posted this comment on her Facebook page: "Oh, so you keyed my car. Your karma is going to be a whole lot worse than that."

She wound up in the office and her mom was called.

"I started crying immediately. I didn't know what to say. I've never been in trouble before," Allie said.

Her mother drove to the school and also went to the office to meet with administrators.

"I had no idea what she was in trouble for and the severity of it until we got to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office," Paula Scott recalled.

Allie was charged with stalking by the sheriff's office. She has a court hearing next week.

Cecilia Barreda, a spokeswoman with the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, said the agency cannot comment on the case because its an open investigation and she is a juvenile.

High-profile criminal attorney John Trevena has had his share of strange cases and even he finds this one almost too bizarre to believe.

"It's absurd," he said. "Karma is a spiritual believe that the universe will even things out and justice. There doesn't seem to be any allegations that constitutes a crime -- none."

Allie already served a three-day suspension, and she is not in any trouble with her mother.

"I've always taught my daughter; Leave it to karma and just let it go."

Bruno
12-31-2011, 01:55 PM
The cop should be arrested for obstructing freedom of speech .

aGameOfThrones
12-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Allie was charged with stalking by the sheriff's office

You have to wonder if there is any intelligence there^

or here...

Osceola High School

Her car gets vandalize and nothing, she makes a karma comment and she's a criminal. :rolleyes:

eduardo89
12-31-2011, 02:03 PM

And billed the court costs.

Romulus
12-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Messed up...

heavenlyboy34
12-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Note that they people she said karma would catch up to for vandalizing her car are not in trouble.

Why do people post things on Facebook under their own names when everybody knows that cops and government crawl that site 24/7 looking for stuff just like this?
They also put their real photos up! :eek: I don't get it. I suspect it's some sort of narcissism.

noneedtoaggress
12-31-2011, 02:22 PM

Well considering the reaction I don't think many people would expect this to be the result of posting something like that on Facebook. I'd be willing to bet this is partially the result of her being a student at a public school.

Second, if you're afraid of the state to the point where you are worried about posting something like that on the internet using your real name, their job is done. Fear has taken over your life. You're owned, they won.

ShaneEnochs
12-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Dafuq

pacelli
12-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Ok, I've had it.

No more facebook. Profile removed.

That was easy.

coastie
12-31-2011, 02:30 PM
They also put their real photos up! :eek: I don't get it. I suspect it's some sort of narcissism.

Must be, hell-some of my wife's friends come over to the house, and spend the entire time they are here on their phone checking facebook:confused: They can not even socialize normally anymore, it's pretty pathetic.

I have never had, nor will I ever get a membership to any of those websites.I am literally the only one in my circle that does not have it.:D

kah13176
12-31-2011, 02:34 PM
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2263/1318057377722.png

Also, I use Facebook to spread the word about Ron Paul. Converted several friends so far.

bolil
12-31-2011, 02:36 PM
I had one, I would say I got rid of it but I know that everything I put on there is on a server somewhere... creepy.

I really hate pigs, but the ones with hooves are alright.

Danke
12-31-2011, 03:00 PM
She turned me into a newt.

heavenlyboy34
12-31-2011, 03:03 PM
She turned me into a newt.
A newt? Has it gotten better yet?

RileyE104
12-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Keep your profile private and only add people you know in real life.. It's not that hard.

dillo
12-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Keep your profile private and only add people you know in real life.. It's not that hard.

that still doesn't justify the girl being arrested

Anti Federalist
12-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Well considering the reaction I don't think many people would expect this to be the result of posting something like that on Facebook. I'd be willing to bet this is partially the result of her being a student at a public school.

Second, if you're afraid of the state to the point where you are worried about posting something like that on the internet using your real name, their job is done. Fear has taken over your life. You're owned, they won.

You don't make it easy for the fuckers.

That's like walking into the FBI building, dropping your drawers and waving your dick around while hollering "Arrest Me!!"

Even the founding fathers used aliases, disguises and pseudonyms.

You'll do the effort very little good rotting away in federal prison for something stupid like this.

Anti Federalist
12-31-2011, 03:37 PM

That will stop LEOs and government snoops for about 2.4 nanoseconds.

noneedtoaggress
12-31-2011, 03:47 PM

That's like walking into the FBI building, dropping your drawers and waving your dick around while hollering "Arrest Me!!"

You'll do the effort very little good rotting away in federal prison for something stupid like this.

If simply posting "Oh, so you keyed my car. Your karma is going to be a whole lot worse than that." without using a psuedonym will land you time in federal prison, then things are beyond fubar. It means you can't do anything without the fear of being thrown into a cage.

That quote isn't even political dissent. That would be to the point where civil disobedience shouldn't only be necessary to expose such a police state, it would be almost impossible to avoid.

acptulsa
12-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Yo. Pinellas County District Attorney. Your karma is really going to be messed up over this. And if half of the voters in your county have a lick of sense between them, so will be your bid for reelection.

Anti Federalist
12-31-2011, 04:07 PM
It means you can't do anything without the fear of being thrown into a cage.

Exactly.

That is what a police state is.

noneedtoaggress
12-31-2011, 04:16 PM
If it's to that point why bother trying to hide from it? If you can't even avoid walking on eggshells what's the point?

ronpaulfollower999
12-31-2011, 05:20 PM
I said karma would catch up with Ben Bernanke a couple years ago on FB. Haven't been threatened yet. Maybe I don't have any snitches as friends. :(

GuerrillaXXI
12-31-2011, 05:24 PM
It seems like whenever I think the police state couldn't possibly get more tyrannical and ridiculous, I hear about something like this.

If there's ANY justice left in the world, that student will be let off on all charges and will win a large lawsuit for her trouble.

The cop should be arrested for obstructing freedom of speech .That brings up one of the key weaknesses in the Constitution: it doesn't really provide for any clear-cut punishments for government figures who violate it.

We have law enforcement, but there's little to no enforcement of what's supposed to be the highest law of the land.

newbitech
12-31-2011, 05:36 PM
So this is the county I live in. I would like to reserve judgement in this case simply because the reporting is absolutely horrendous. Take a look at this quote from the article.

"It's absurd," he said. "Karma is a spiritual believe that the universe will even things out and justice. There doesn't seem to be any allegations that constitutes a crime -- none."

I have a really hard time "beliefing" that the attorney actually said that "and sure".

Something doesn't add up with this "story".

kah13176
12-31-2011, 05:36 PM
I said karma would catch up with Ben Bernanke a couple years ago on FB. Haven't been threatened yet. Maybe I don't have any snitches as friends. :(

Be glad you aren't my friend. If I saw something, I would've said something.

phill4paul
12-31-2011, 05:42 PM

I get where your coming from AF. But, truthfully, you don't think there is a snoop or two on RPF's? We are after all turroristas.

For myself, if they wanna start it they will. Christ, EVERYONE has broken a law they are unaware of today!

They say that 'ignorance is no excuse for the law.' I say having so many laws that I am unaware of breaking one is ignorant.

THWTPTB!

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh please, that's nothing. When I was younger, my public school sent me to a PSYCH hospital to be examined, because I went to the bathroom to take a shit without permission.

flightlesskiwi
12-31-2011, 06:04 PM
oh, *bleep*

LET this *bleep* happen to my kid.

let it.

i hope to God i can keep a cool head.

there's one thing i've found, and it may not be true anymore, but it was when i was growing up:

when my mom would push back, and push back hard she would, with crap she considered ludicrous when it came to school v. her kids, they (school administrators and school board) sat the *bleep* down and shut the *bleep* up and left us the *bleep* alone.

and just like her, i do not intend to be cordial and keep my mouth shut.

Danke
12-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh please, that's nothing. When I was younger, my public school sent me to a PSYCH hospital to be examined, because I went to the bathroom to take a shit without permission.

Ya that was the reason...

Pericles
01-01-2012, 12:00 AM

Wouldn't you rather leave one? Just askin'.

heavenlyboy34
01-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Be glad you aren't my friend. If I saw something, I would've said something.
GNARK!!! GET 'IM!!

TurboTenderloin
01-01-2012, 12:05 AM
How can posting something on your own fb page be stalking?

Pericles
01-01-2012, 12:07 AM
How can posting something on your own fb page be stalking?

In the PC world, logical consistency is not required, and in fact, plays no role whatsoever in the course of events.

Anti Federalist
01-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Yah, I look at like "opting out" at the airport.

Mostly meaningless, might even attract more attention to you.

But it's the principle of the thing.

Don't just hand over your privacy on a silver platter to the malignant bastards.

I get where your coming from AF. But, truthfully, you don't think there is a snoop or two on RPF's? We are after all turroristas.

For myself, if they wanna start it they will. Christ, EVERYONE has broken a law they are unaware of today!

They say that 'ignorance is no excuse for the law.' I say having so many laws that I am unaware of breaking one is ignorant.

THWTPTB!

Eric39
01-01-2012, 07:01 AM
What the hell?

The school should be sued all to hell. The fact they're policing students outside conduct is bad enough. It's worse that there was no form of threat or anything. Apparently wishing for karma is illegal now.

What's stupid is I bet if you pick out a handful of student from there and look at their Facebook, 3 in 5 probably have posts up about weed or something.

Kylie
01-01-2012, 10:05 AM
oh, *bleep*

LET this *bleep* happen to my kid.

let it.

i hope to God i can keep a cool head.

there's one thing i've found, and it may not be true anymore, but it was when i was growing up:

when my mom would push back, and push back hard she would, with crap she considered ludicrous when it came to school v. her kids, they (school administrators and school board) sat the *bleep* down and shut the *bleep* up and left us the *bleep* alone.

and just like her, i do not intend to be cordial and keep my mouth shut.

Yup. I've went toe-to-toe with the admins of our school district a few years back. Do not mess with my kids, or you will hear from me. And if I don't like your answers, I travel right up the food chain to the head of the district. When you have a not-so-quiet sit down with one of them, shit tends to get taken care of in a more timely manner.

And my boy has not been bothered by his teachers since. Other kids? You betcha, but the teachers know they can't screw with my kids anymore. I shouldn't have threatened his 6th grade teacher with an ass whoopin, but I was serious. She would cuss at him, and push him around(along with a few others she didn't like). We sorted through that pretty quick. Just because you have a position of authority in my kids' lives does not mean you get to take advantage of them. It is my job to not let that happen.

newbitech
01-01-2012, 10:27 AM
See I knew there was more to this story.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/girl-who-faces-stalking-charge-after-facebook-post-says-deputy-went-too-far/1208333

She didn't get in trouble for her wall post. There was an ongoing feud between friends. And the post that got her accussed of stalking was made on someone else's board, probably a mutual friend. That post had nothing to do with Karma.

Allie's mother, Paula Scott of St. Petersburg, said her daughter posted one other comment that night, this time on a friend's Facebook page. "I think it said something like … she doesn't know what's coming to her," Scott said.

The referral from the school, which Trevena provided to the St. Petersburg Times, says, "Student posted harrassing comments on facebook, threatening that the other student doesn't know what is coming for her."

I am sure there is still MUCH more to this story. I am still reserving judgement. I think the charge of stalking should be dropped, but this isn't entirely the fault of the school or prosecutors. Take a look at this factoid.

At least twice in recent years, the Pinellas School Board has been sued by parents who said school officials didn't act fast enough to protect their kids from bullies. In both cases, the parents claimed their children had been seriously injured.

So you see, it's also parents who are bringing lawsuit over facebook, forcing the school board and prosecutors to take those threats seriously.

I do agree, facebook is out of control and it's best just to avoid the thing until people learn how to use it properly.

Elwar
01-01-2012, 10:46 AM
My wife owns a store in Pinellas county. The cops there are terrible. They go out of their way to get you for anything.

We are done with that county and shutting the shop down this week. There is such a sense of peace when we leave that county. Though, unfortunately I still work there.

My county is not much better, it is very good ol' boy but we are local so that helps.

aGameOfThrones
01-01-2012, 11:16 AM
She didn't get in trouble for her wall post. There was an ongoing feud between friends. And the post that got her accussed of stalking was made on someone else's board, probably a mutual friend. That post had nothing to do with Karma.

Allie's mother, Paula Scott of St. Petersburg, said her daughter posted one other comment that night, this time on a friend's Facebook page. "I think it said something like … she doesn't know what's coming to her(...so much bad karma)," Scott said.

Which she can claim that's what she was implying. About the stalking... That's BS(from that comment alone).

Seraphim
01-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Twilight zone is zoned in the twilight.

**DO DO DO DO, DO DO DO DO**

newbitech
01-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Which she can claim that's what she was implying. About the stalking... That's BS(from that comment alone).

Sorry, not buying that loose word association. She had already posted the Karma comment on her own wall. Let's just wait and see what the actual quote was, since what you say was being implied was actually her mom's words of what she "thought" was actually posted. I am sure we can get a screen shot of what was actually said and not have to rely on "mom's" recollection.

Again, the stalking charge doesn't have to stem from what was said in facebook alone. What we are hearing is one side of the story, and so far, it seems like mom and daughter haven't been as forthcoming as they could be with the facts.

Also, why are they not trying to find the person who key'ed the car? Seems like that would be something this high profile lawyer would be after.

Anti Federalist
01-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Sorry, not buying that loose word association. She had already posted the Karma comment on her own wall. Let's just wait and see what the actual quote was, since what you say was being implied was actually her mom's words of what she "thought" was actually posted. I am sure we can get a screen shot of what was actually said and not have to rely on "mom's" recollection.

Again, the stalking charge doesn't have to stem from what was said in facebook alone. What we are hearing is one side of the story, and so far, it seems like mom and daughter haven't been as forthcoming as they could be with the facts.

Also, why are they not trying to find the person who key'ed the car? Seems like that would be something this high profile lawyer would be after.

Screenshots of the post are at the site in a video.

So, it's the other girls' parents that are making a big stink of this, is that how I'm understanding this now?

flightlesskiwi
01-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Trevena said the district trampled on Allie's constitutional right to free speech. Robinson said it's not black and white.

The courts are still sorting out how much jurisdiction school officials have over incidents that happen off campus that may disrupt the atmosphere on campus, Robinson said. He said the judgment of principals, school resource officers and other school-level officials is going to vary to some extent.

"This is a topic that doesn't lend itself to a perfect code of conduct," he said.

It can be tough to know when and how to intervene.

in a couple of years, maybe sooner, this won't be a problem. soon, the public schools will fully own children and have the ability to intercede in whatever matter of their choosing..

aGameOfThrones
01-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Which she can claim was a continuation of her previous karma comment.

1, "oh so you keyed my car? well your karmas gonna be a wholeee lot worse that that"

2, "I think it said something like … she doesn't know what's coming to her.

Young lady what did you mean with your second comment?

Karma!

Plus, they're (supposedly) nameless comments. Unless she is falsely accusing someone(nameless comments) or the criminal who damaged her car wants to come forward and say she/he is being stalk, who's the "victim"?

Philhelm
01-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Apparently the girl never saw this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUslGSoEH8I

Chris Cash
01-01-2012, 02:59 PM
The problem is that no one ever files criminal charges against cops, they always get talked into pursuing CIVIL damages by money-hungry attorneys so there is never any precedent set for criminal actions like this in the courts.

LibForestPaul
01-01-2012, 03:34 PM
You have to wonder if there is any intelligence there^

or here...

Her car gets vandalize and nothing, she makes a karma comment and she's a criminal. :rolleyes:

Hey, right on target to become mirror of UK. :)

newbitech
01-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Screenshots of the post are at the site in a video.

So, it's the other girls' parents that are making a big stink of this, is that how I'm understanding this now?

Well, the screenshot is of the karma comment. Keep in mind, this screen shot and the karma comment were of the "stalker" girls facebook wall. Now, in the other article I linked, we learn that there is actually another comment that was made by the "stalker" girl. This comment was posted on a friends wall. We do not know exactly what this comment was. We do know that the St. Petersburg Times (the major newspaper in the area) was provided a copy of the actual referral that sent the "stalker" girl to the principles office. This is the exact quote from the referal.

“Student posted harrassing comments on facebook, threatening that the other student doesn’t know what is coming for her.”

The mother of the "stalker" girl seems to allude to this particular comment which was actually posted on someone else's facebook page. We don't know anything about this comment yet as we don't have the screen shot. For instance, did she post the comment on the wall of the "key scratcher" girl? We don't even know who the "key scratcher" girl is. For all we know, this is a false accusation. But here is the quote from the mother.

Allie’s mother, Paula Scott of St. Petersburg, said her daughter posted one other comment that night, this time on a friend’s Facebook page. “I think it said something like … she doesn’t know what’s coming to her,” Scott said.

So in reality, the girl was not accussed of harrassment for her comment on her wall which was not directed at anyone in particular. She was referred to the office for the comment she made on someone else's facebook that was interpretted as a threat by the school and by law enforcement.

We don't know anything about the other girl. We have not heard her side of the story, and from what we have heard, we don't even know if it is true that the car was keyed, and by whom. It doesn't even sound like they are investigating that.

I am not trying to pass judgement in this case, as I said in my first post, there is a lot lacking in the reporting, including the reporters ability to transcribe direct quotes.

New evidence since the OP suggests that the first report of this incident was lacking some major details, and I would go so far as to say that the reporter is guilty of at least sloppy journalism, and at most of making up sensational headlines and storylines to get traffic.

Also, the reporter may not have known about the other facebook posts, and if that is the case, then it becomes obvious that the "stalker" girl and her mom went to the media with a story tilted to favor the "stalker" girl while omitting other facts that make her look not so innocent.

All that being said.

I think this type of story does raise some very important questions on several levels.

First off, parents have sued school districts for not recognizing bullying on facebook. So why the hell can't the parents monitor their own childrens facebook activity and why is that the responsibility of the school? This leads to the school overreacting in every case that would not end up in someone getting physically hurt.

Second, how far is someone allowed to go with threats of violence before action is taken against that person? This speaks to me in the form of national defense actually. The big excuse we hear coming from people who want to attack Iran is that Iran has threatened to wipe our ally off the map. So again, the question is, how far are threats of violence allowed to go before action is taken? And also, are threats of violence (with words) actually violent and damaging to the point of limiting someone elses freedom and liberty? Another way to ask the same question, is it possible to hurt someone with mere words?

I also agree that in this situation, the only possible real crime I see from the evidence so far is that someone may have caused property damage. I am starting to lean towards the "stalker" girl being a bully and picking on this other girl. So far, we know that she did in fact park in this other girls spot. We also know that she posted a veiled threat on someone's wall, possibly someone who was also friends with the girl she was threatening. It is clear that the situation was escalating. We won't know the extent of the possible harrassment until an investigation is conducted, or until the other girl comes forward.

I suspect that there may be other evidence that the "stalker" girl was the instigator, not because she was arrested and accused, but simply from the reporting I am seeing and the way the "stalker" girl and her mom are handling being accussed. Where is the outcry to find the person who keyed the car for instance? Why can't the mom seem to remember the crap that her daughter posted and failed to report this to the reporter that "broke" the story?

Just too much up in the air for me to be convinced that she isn't harrassing the other girl. Oh, and it sounds like other kids posted similar comments but they are not in trouble? The cop wanted to make an example of her? Sounds like a bunch of people were picking on someone. That's just my take. I could be wrong.

If it's me, I say the school could have called the parents of both of these girls in and let the girls talk it out. Or at least suspend them both. That didn't happen, not sure why.

flightlesskiwi
01-01-2012, 07:58 PM
all i know is that this type of crap happened all the time when i was in hell school.

no, it didn't happen via facebook because the internetz were just gaining traction when i was in skool, but this type of girl (and boy) drama happened. bullies, bitches having a bad day, bad mouthing, smack downs, fist fights, etc.

the girl drama was usually via rumors and note writing/passing and nasty name calling.

various situations played out various ways, but nobody got arrested for it.

we are a nation of overreacting pansies that jump to The State to fix all of life's dilemmas instead of man-ing (and woman-ing) up and dealing with our own damn problems.

Well, the screenshot is of the karma comment. Keep in mind, this screen shot and the karma comment were of the "stalker" girls facebook wall. Now, in the other article I linked, we learn that there is actually another comment that was made by the "stalker" girl. This comment was posted on a friends wall. We do not know exactly what this comment was. We do know that the St. Petersburg Times (the major newspaper in the area) was provided a copy of the actual referral that sent the "stalker" girl to the principles office. This is the exact quote from the referal.

The mother of the "stalker" girl seems to allude to this particular comment which was actually posted on someone else's facebook page. We don't know anything about this comment yet as we don't have the screen shot. For instance, did she post the comment on the wall of the "key scratcher" girl? We don't even know who the "key scratcher" girl is. For all we know, this is a false accusation. But here is the quote from the mother.

So in reality, the girl was not accussed of harrassment for her comment on her wall which was not directed at anyone in particular. She was referred to the office for the comment she made on someone else's facebook that was interpretted as a threat by the school and by law enforcement.

We don't know anything about the other girl. We have not heard her side of the story, and from what we have heard, we don't even know if it is true that the car was keyed, and by whom. It doesn't even sound like they are investigating that.

I am not trying to pass judgement in this case, as I said in my first post, there is a lot lacking in the reporting, including the reporters ability to transcribe direct quotes.

New evidence since the OP suggests that the first report of this incident was lacking some major details, and I would go so far as to say that the reporter is guilty of at least sloppy journalism, and at most of making up sensational headlines and storylines to get traffic.

Also, the reporter may not have known about the other facebook posts, and if that is the case, then it becomes obvious that the "stalker" girl and her mom went to the media with a story tilted to favor the "stalker" girl while omitting other facts that make her look not so innocent.

All that being said.

I think this type of story does raise some very important questions on several levels.

First off, parents have sued school districts for not recognizing bullying on facebook. So why the hell can't the parents monitor their own childrens facebook activity and why is that the responsibility of the school? This leads to the school overreacting in every case that would not end up in someone getting physically hurt.

Second, how far is someone allowed to go with threats of violence before action is taken against that person? This speaks to me in the form of national defense actually. The big excuse we hear coming from people who want to attack Iran is that Iran has threatened to wipe our ally off the map. So again, the question is, how far are threats of violence allowed to go before action is taken? And also, are threats of violence (with words) actually violent and damaging to the point of limiting someone elses freedom and liberty? Another way to ask the same question, is it possible to hurt someone with mere words?

I also agree that in this situation, the only possible real crime I see from the evidence so far is that someone may have caused property damage. I am starting to lean towards the "stalker" girl being a bully and picking on this other girl. So far, we know that she did in fact park in this other girls spot. We also know that she posted a veiled threat on someone's wall, possibly someone who was also friends with the girl she was threatening. It is clear that the situation was escalating. We won't know the extent of the possible harrassment until an investigation is conducted, or until the other girl comes forward.

I suspect that there may be other evidence that the "stalker" girl was the instigator, not because she was arrested and accused, but simply from the reporting I am seeing and the way the "stalker" girl and her mom are handling being accussed. Where is the outcry to find the person who keyed the car for instance? Why can't the mom seem to remember the crap that her daughter posted and failed to report this to the reporter that "broke" the story?

Just too much up in the air for me to be convinced that she isn't harrassing the other girl. Oh, and it sounds like other kids posted similar comments but they are not in trouble? The cop wanted to make an example of her? Sounds like a bunch of people were picking on someone. That's just my take. I could be wrong.

If it's me, I say the school could have called the parents of both of these girls in and let the girls talk it out. Or at least suspend them both. That didn't happen, not sure why.

flightlesskiwi
01-01-2012, 08:08 PM
oh, yeah, people got their cars keyed, tires slashed and personal property destroyed too. from what i remember about a particular key-ing incident, it was impossible to prove who did it, so the perp didn't get in trouble. but the car owner pretty much knew who did it and got in a fist fight when they confronted the person.

no one got arrested for any of it.

sh*t happens. it's part of growing up. and part of being a responsible parent is teaching your kids that sh*t happens and to deal with it accordingly.

my gosh i shudder to think where society will be when my kids are teens. grovelling on my knees under the throne of The State begging for protection is not becoming of me, so i'm sure it will be just an absolute joyride.

newbitech
01-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Which she can claim was a continuation of her previous karma comment.

1, "oh so you keyed my car? well your karmas gonna be a wholeee lot worse that that"

2, "I think it said something like … she doesn't know what's coming to her.

Young lady what did you mean with your second comment?

Karma!

Plus, they're (supposedly) nameless comments. Unless she is falsely accusing someone(nameless comments) or the criminal who damaged her car wants to come forward and say she/he is being stalk, who's the "victim"?

I get what you are saying. I just think in the context that those things were said, it wasn't about simple karma. It was more about retaliation. It's not like she said, "oh you keyed my car, you are going to have bad karma".

And why would she bring up karma anyways? If someone keyed her car, shouldn't she being saying something like, "oh you keyed my car, you are going to face charges of property destruction and have to pay restitution!"

Also, I am guessing you understand that the second comment was made on someone elses wall, not hers. She also did not mention karma here. These were words meant to intimidate. "She doesn't know what's coming to her." This speaks of revenge, retaliation, and threat to return the violence.

As far as who is the victim, we know that she posted comments on someone elses wall. We know that the second comment, the one we don't have a screen shot for, the one her mom sounded like she didn't know exactly what was said, the one that was actually responsible for the charge (evidence copy of the referal cooroborated by her moms own statement), was the comment that was in fact posted on someone elses wall. That comment was NOT nameless in the context. No we don't know who that victim was, but the "stalker" girl and her audience sure did. That is why the "stalker" girl said "she doesn't know whats coming to her".

So the question is, not what did you mean by your second comment. The question is, "so what is coming to her?" Because it sure sounds like "stalker" girl knows what is coming. If in fact the car was keyed by this other girl, then what should be coming to her is at least a civil suit for damages, and possibly criminal charges. That is clearly not the path that the "stalker" girl and her mom have decided to take based on the reports.

Oh, and the girl did say that she was considering going to juvi diversion, but it sounds like she was talked out of it. I think she is not innocent as she is coming across, I also think her problem could have been resolved without cops, and without school interference. What the hell is her mom letting her on facebook to talk shit instead of doing what sensible people would do when their property is damaged?

Oh, and it is her brother's car. Why isn't he speaking up trying to get the damages taken care of?

I am sure that there are some other kids that are intigating all this as well. Not going to say, turn off facebook, but damn, if you are going to let your kids use it as a way of venting, you should at least let your kids be aware that threats of violence will not be tolerated. My opinion.

newbitech
01-01-2012, 08:13 PM
all i know is that this type of crap happened all the time when i was in hell school.

no, it didn't happen via facebook because the internetz were just gaining traction when i was in skool, but this type of girl (and boy) drama happened. bullies, bitches having a bad day, bad mouthing, smack downs, fist fights, etc.

the girl drama was usually via rumors and note writing/passing and nasty name calling.

various situations played out various ways, but nobody got arrested for it.

we are a nation of overreacting pansies that jump to The State to fix all of life's dilemmas instead of man-ing (and woman-ing) up and dealing with our own damn problems.

I totally agree. I don't think this issue warranted a police response at all. I also think that the reason you see police response is because parents are suing schools for not keeping their kids safe. It is definitely a problem with the system that we even hear about shit like this. I just don't want to focus in on the he said she said. There is a bigger issue going on in this story, that is why the high profile lawyer is all over it like flies on shit.

flightlesskiwi
01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I totally agree. I don't think this issue warranted a police response at all. I also think that the reason you see police response is because parents are suing schools for not keeping their kids safe. It is definitely a problem with the system that we even hear about shit like this. I just don't want to focus in on the he said she said. There is a bigger issue going on in this story, that is why the high profile lawyer is all over it like flies on shit.

bolded words express what i feel to be 90% of the problem.

but, yeah. unless this family is loaded why would a well-known lawyer get involved? one doesn't normally find them involved in legit civil liberties cases.

newbitech
01-01-2012, 08:31 PM
bolded words express what i feel to be 90% of the problem.

but, yeah. unless this family is loaded why would a well-known lawyer get involved? one doesn't normally find them involved in legit civil liberties cases.

exactly. The lawyer I am sure is the one who went to the journalist first with the story. That is probably why the first story we heard didn't tell us that there was actually two comments. See, so it's not like the girl got in trouble for mentioning karma on facebook. That is spin from the defense attorney. The other thing is, the girl could have went to juvi diversion, and considered it, and would not have a record. Instead, they choose to fight the case. Why? She is so worried about what schools and employers will think right? Well who gave her that advice? Cause now, record of this incident is all over the place and she is still facing the charges which she could be found guilty for. Of course in Florida, juvi records are sealed. So that was a non-issue anyways.

WHY didn't the girl go to the principles office when the car was keyed?!! The other thing, what if she posted the threat first, and then after contacting a lawyer, decided to post up the karma quote on her wall, to cover her ass?

The system is screwed. People just don't know how to solve simple problems anymore, especially when resorting to facebook wall posts is considered a legitimate gripe. Anyways, I have spoken my peace in this thread. I will try to follow this locally and see what may come of it.