PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Government forcing more expensive, energy efficient bulbs to be sold in 2012

playpianoking
12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
That's right, all of the old bulbs cannot legally be sold in 2012. How is this constitutional? Maybe I was about to start a business with 100 employees but now the 10% increased cost is not feasible. The unseen consequences...

What a joke. I hope Paul would comment on this story to prove a point on how the federal government is out of control.

rockerrockstar
01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah I don't like these new bulbs they normally don't last that long and break too easy. They also cost too much. I don't like the way they look and I don't like the type of light they put out. In theory they are good because they are more efficient but in real life I am not sure they are worth getting.

I agree I think the government should not be telling us what light bulb we can buy. I don't like the CFLs. They take too long to turn on too.

Icymudpuppy
01-04-2012, 12:26 PM
I buy LEDs. Expensive, but better than CFLs, and Incandescents in many ways. I only use incandescents in heating applications such as incubators, and livestock sheds.

smtwngrl
01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
That's right, all of the old bulbs cannot legally be sold in 2012. How is this constitutional? Maybe I was about to start a business with 100 employees but now the 10% increased cost is not feasible. The unseen consequences...

What a joke. I hope Paul would comment on this story to prove a point on how the federal government is out of control.

You're right. It is in no way constitutional and is an example of the government being out of control.

Cost is not the issue, though. You give the business analogy. But the truth is that you would spend more on the bulbs, but you would save a large amount on electricity costs. A CFL that puts out the same as a 60 watt bulb is only 12 watts. We have used compact CFL bulbs since the mid-nineties. We started with just a couple, and since 2002, we have used them almost exclusively.

But in recent years, questions have come up about whether there are health risks in using them. And if you break one, it is dangerous to inhale near, and is hazardous waste. So if people use them, it shouldn't be because they are forced to do so, but only if they have weighed the advantages and disadvantages, and decided to do so.

Schiff_FTW
01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
This ban was overturned last month after a lot of push back. A (very) small victory for freedom of choice.

Dr.3D
01-11-2012, 10:44 AM
This ban was overturned last month after a lot of push back. A (very) small victory for freedom of choice.
Wasn't that just a temporary overturn of the ban?

Schiff_FTW
01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Wasn't that just a temporary overturn of the ban?

You're right, it looks like it will be revisited in 9 months, hopefully the pressure can be kept up.

havox112
01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm going to need a citation on the overturn... I work at a hardware store and I tell people about the new energy law and do mention a little from time to time about Ron Paul wanting the government to get out of business :D

presence
01-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Did you know they've been banned in Europe since 2009?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/business/energy-environment/01iht-bulb.html

I expect the issue will be essentially moot by 2016 as the cost of LED comes down and the market swings in that direction. I don't see how they have the right to tell us we can't buy sell and manufacture "antique" lightbulbs. I could see if it was a ban on micronuclear bulbs or something with major product safety issues... but to ban the old fashioned light bulb? Crazy. None of their business... what if I'm running my bulbs on solar or wind power in my own back yard?