PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Revolution - Memphis Style

orenbus
12-31-2011, 12:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82m4aweGaQ

So was going through some old files and found this gold nugget that has since been taken off youtube, figured I'd re-up it for those that never got a chance to see it or would appreciate the nostalgia.

Trust me when I say once we win Iowa the grassroots vets of '07 will be coming out of the woodwork, reinforcements are en route. :)

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
- Samuel Adams

BLS
12-31-2011, 12:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82m4aweGaQ

So was going through some old files and found this gold nugget that has since been taken off youtube, figured I'd re-up it for those that never got a chance to see it or would appreciate the nostalgia. Trust me when I say once we win Iowa the grassroots vets of '07 will be coming out of the woodwork, reinforcements are en route. :)

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
- Samuel Adams

Ha! I remember this video!! Well done and glad to have you back!!
I hope you're right about the 07 Vets. I haven't donated a penny yet and promised myself I'd stay out of it this time because Super Tuesday KILLED ME last time.
Alas, seeing Ron Paul polling in 1st or 2nd in Iowa I couldn't stay away.

We need money. Big time. I hope the old vets come out with their checkbooks after Ron WINS Iowa.

Keith and stuff
12-31-2011, 07:34 AM
Oh, that video brings back the memories. It is one of the things that inspired me to get involved with the Memphis Ron Paul Meetup in 2007. I miss Chris and all of those great folks! I went on to lead the Meetup for 6 months or so in 2008 before I voted with my feet and moved to the freest state in the western world.

orenbus
12-31-2011, 09:56 AM
//

FA.Hayek
12-31-2011, 10:09 AM
shout out from Memphis!

orenbus
12-31-2011, 10:13 AM
shout out from Memphis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wAPaJW2hf8

ZanZibar
12-31-2011, 10:40 AM
I used to think Leonard's was my favorite BBQ place in Memphis, but after I went to Rendezvous I think it might be a tie.

ZanZibar
12-31-2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wAPaJW2hf8Reminds of of a parody of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RFC-62GNn0&feature=fvst

Brick-in-the-Wall
12-31-2011, 12:23 PM
I used to think Leonard's was my favorite BBQ place in Memphis, but after I went to Rendezvous I think it might be a tie.

Rendezvous for sure. That place is awesome.

Anyway, this is one thing that gets me. I don't mean to upset anybody but there was a whole lot of this going on the last go around yet, where were the results? Nobody else's campaign had a grassroots like this but the poll numbers didn't match. What was the deal last time around? There were thousands of people all over the country doing this from what I've seen and have been told. During that time I was ignoring politics so I knew nothing about Ron Paul or anybody else so I have no idea what the times were like back then. Why didn't this stuff seem to have as big of an affect last time?

orenbus
12-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't mean to upset anybody but there was a whole lot of this going on the last go around yet, where were the results? Nobody else's campaign had a grassroots like this but the poll numbers didn't match. What was the deal last time around? There were thousands of people all over the country doing this from what I've seen and have been told. During that time I was ignoring politics so I knew nothing about Ron Paul or anybody else so I have no idea what the times were like back then. Why didn't this stuff seem to have as big of an affect last time?

Just like now, the national media was the problem, except back then it was 10,000% worse.

Whether someone thinks the efforts in 2007 were effective or not they did accomplish one important thing, they established the foundation for everything that happened after, which is important to where we are today.

FA.Hayek
12-31-2011, 12:39 PM
the funds came in way too late in 2007, the grassroots have helped put Ron Paul on the map, but the campaign ran on shoestring funds up until the big moneybombs, and even then, there wasn't enough time to set up organization like we did this year.. the success of 2007-2008 is why we're doing a LOT better this time around

Keith and stuff
12-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Rendezvous for sure. That place is awesome.

Anyway, this is one thing that gets me. I don't mean to upset anybody but there was a whole lot of this going on the last go around yet, where were the results? Nobody else's campaign had a grassroots like this but the poll numbers didn't match. What was the deal last time around? There were thousands of people all over the country doing this from what I've seen and have been told. During that time I was ignoring politics so I knew nothing about Ron Paul or anybody else so I have no idea what the times were like back then. Why didn't this stuff seem to have as big of an affect last time?

Most of the political experts I've talked with say that the main use of signs is typically to increase name recognition. Name recognition because if a voter hasn't heard of someone, chances are the voter will not voter for the person. However, name recognition doesn't equal votes, it is just one of the requirements on the path to convincing a voter to support a candidate.

The media has given Ron Paul much less coverage than he deserves and much of that coverage is negative. Without the sign waves and grassroots signs in 2007/2008, Ron Paul might not have the name recognition needed to get the support he currently has. It is quite possible that without Ron Paul running last time and the grassroots support, that he wouldn't currently be a top tier candidate right now. So in this case, the signs were actually important.

Signs have other purposes, though. Another common use of signs is making diehard supporters happy. Some supporters think signs are much more important than they really are. The supports want to make a difference by having a sign in their yard. Campaigns make signs and give them to diehard supporters so the signs may be places in their yards.

speciallyblend
12-31-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wAPaJW2hf8

nice, classic 2008 Ron Paul:) look how far we have come!!

WilliamC
12-31-2011, 06:19 PM
I was in that video ;)

Chester Copperpot
12-31-2011, 06:23 PM
I remember this video from the Memphis meet up group.. AWESOME video..

And lets not forget.. MITT ROMNEY stole this Elvis song for his appearance at the Ames straw poll that year.. (pretty sure it was ames I could be wrong)

Like Mitt must think the Elvis song was the secret to motivating people..
douche