PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Santorum: "Imposing" our values on eachother is what "America's about"

humanic
12-30-2011, 02:38 PM
"Don’t give me this idea — I hear this: ‘Oh, you’re a moralist. You’re trying to impose your values.’ Everybody’s trying to impose their values. That’s what America’s about."
-Rick Santorum, in a speech yesterday [source (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/29/santorum-marriage-prevents-poverty-unless-youre-gay/)]

"Nobody has a right to impose their values on anyone else."
-Ron Paul [source (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3J3QFb0OIg)]

"If we guarantee your liberty as an individual, that means you have civil rights to live your lifestyle. You actually can do things that I might disapprove of. But I'm very tolerent. As a libertarian, I say "Well, I might not endorse your lifestyle -- you might smoke some things and drink some things and eat some things and act certain ways that I totally abhor -- but as long as you don't hurt anyone else, I'm not gonna bother you."
-Ron Paul, 1988 [source (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVXdqYj8TwU#t=1m20s)]

teacherone
12-30-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cnn_live_santorum_poverty_111229a-615x345.jpg

braane
12-30-2011, 02:41 PM
That statment might work with hard hard right social conservatives... but it will probably scare away infinite moderates.

Santorum reinforcing why he is the least electable candidate running.

A. Havnes
12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
That statment might work with hard hard right social conservatives... but it will probably scare away infinite moderates.

Santorum reinforcing why he is the least electable candidate running.

Don't underestimate the power of those who vote specifically to ensure that the government will reinforce their own ideas of how people should live. This goes for both liberals and conservatives. Many people vote only to uphold morality.

brushfire
12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Fascism - an American virtue?

humanic
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Don't underestimate the power of those who vote specifically to ensure that the government will reinforce their own ideas of how people should live. This goes for both liberals and conservatives. Many people vote only to uphold morality.

"Would you rather be a Neoconservative or a Progressive. That is a trick question. The trick is in the fact that, although there may be differences between the rhetoric and short-term agendas of these groups, their long-term goals actually are the same. They may differ over how to fight a war in the Middle East but not over the right of the President to wage such a war empowered by the UN instead of Congress. They may differ over what kind of speech should be forbidden ("subversive" speech vs. "hate" speech, for example) but not over the right of the government to forbid it. They may differ over how fast to bankrupt the nation to provide benefits for its citizens but not over the assumption that providing benefits is what governments are supposed to do. They disagree over tactics, timing, and style, but not objectives. They fight for dominance within the New World Order, but they work together to build it. That is because both groups have embraced the underlying ideology of global collectivism."

--G. Edward Griffin, Left Vs Right: The Illusion of Opposites (http://www.freedomforceinternational.org/freedomcontent.cfm?fuseaction=left_right)

SpiritOf1776_J4
12-30-2011, 02:54 PM
That's an excellent quote for the thread I started as well.

vechorik
12-30-2011, 03:33 PM

I agree -- I'm a Christian, and I've had that argument with quite a few people.

liveandletlive
12-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Santorum may be an otherwise nice family man, but he is a deranged lunatic in his world view

Drex
12-30-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cnn_live_santorum_poverty_111229a-615x345.jpg

LOL!

Ilhaguru
12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
To take away someone's rights because you think it would be beneficial for society is what progressivism is all about. Rick is nothing but a progressive with a religious flavor.

You are a fraud, Rick. And a douchebag.

Philhelm
12-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Meh. Santorum is a fringe candidate with absolutely ZERO chance of winning.

Agorism
12-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Why is he imposing his sweater vests on Iowa?

PierzStyx
12-30-2011, 06:25 PM
To take away someone's rights because you think it would be beneficial for society is what progressivism is all about. Rick is nothing but a progressive with a religious flavor.

You are a fraud, Rick. And a douchebag.

I'm not sure I agree about labeling most things "rights". For instance I don't think gay marriage, or hetero marriage, is a "right". Its more of a liberty based on a right. You have the right to associate with whom you like and the free speech right to call that association whatever you like. But marriage in and of itself is not a governmentally enforced "right" inherent in all human beings. It may seem like I'm splitting hairs but to me its important. I just think we need to be careful what we call rights. If you label gay marriage a right, for example, then the federal government has authority to protect aka enforce that right on society even those who do not like it. On the other hand if gay marriage is a liberty derived form a right then the government has nor ability to enforce it upon those dissenting against that view. The same for heterosexuals.

In the end I think it all comes to the same anyway. Frothy is a douche, and perhaps should use one himself.

Cody1
12-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure I agree about labeling most things "rights". For instance I don't think gay marriage, or hetero marriage, is a "right". Its more of a liberty based on a right. You have the right to associate with whom you like and the free speech right to call that association whatever you like. But marriage in and of itself is not a governmentally enforced "right" inherent in all human beings. It may seem like I'm splitting hairs but to me its important. I just think we need to be careful what we call rights. If you label gay marriage a right, for example, then the federal government has authority to protect aka enforce that right on society even those who do not like it. On the other hand if gay marriage is a liberty derived form a right then the government has nor ability to enforce it upon those dissenting against that view. The same for heterosexuals.

In the end I think it all comes to the same anyway. Frothy is a douche, and perhaps should use one himself.

Not splitting hairs at all, perfect explanation too.