PDA

View Full Version : Is Any of Ron Paul's Support Transferable?

bobbyw24
12-30-2011, 07:01 AM
http://cdn-media.nationaljournal.com/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1737&format=homepage_fullwidth

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Allen Huffman wouldn’t even be a Republican if not for Ron Paul. The Texas congressman’s promise to get rid of the income tax prompted the 42-year-old to register with the GOP and caucus for Paul in 2008.

Huffman has participated in phone banks at Paul’s campaign office about a dozen times in recent weeks, but don’t expect him to volunteer if Paul is not the GOP nominee.

“I don’t vote for the ticket. I vote for principles,’’ Huffman said. “I don’t like Newt Gingrich at all, and I think Mitt Romney is too slick.’’

SNIP

An unswerving loyalty to Paul, not to the Republican Party, is not uncommon among the Texas congressman’s passionate followers. His support is not easily transferrable. So while there’s no doubt Paul brings new voters into the fold, it’s unclear whether in the long term he is helping to build a broader and more diverse Republican coalition.

SNIP

Guess that means Paul is doing something right. At the rally in Des Moines on Wednesday night, he hit all of his usual targets: the Federal Reserve, government overspending, the war on drugs, Wall Street bailouts and U.S military intervention around the world.

“They’re coming out of the woodwork,’’ Ron Paul said of his supporters. “I think it’s getting very exciting.’’

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/is-any-of-ron-paul-s-support-transferrable--20111230

bobbyw24
12-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Ron Paul supporters "They’re younger, rowdier, more socially diverse than Republican rally regulars."

http://goo.gl/qAUEh

TheDriver
12-30-2011, 07:21 AM
Yes, for Gary Johnson, lol.

bobbyw24
12-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Yes, for Gary Johnson, lol.

I bet he hopes so

Rincewind
12-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Yes, I think so.

I think the No One But Paul folks have skewed the media's perception, because that's a concept unique to the presidential race. I think in terms of congressional races, though, Paul's support may be relatively transferable to the right kinds of candidates. People forget where the whole Tea Party thing came from in the first place, and that injected some momentum into the GOP base in a number of congressional matchups last time.

WilliamC
12-30-2011, 08:01 AM
This is why, even should Ron Paul never become President, he will have won his own battle for truth, justice, and the American way.

Now for the rest of us to win we need to get him elected President for ourselves and our loved ones and even those who don't currently support him.

Once they get a feel for true freedom, many will never go back to what we have now.

bobbyw24
12-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Once they get a feel for true freedom, many will never go back to what we have now.

Many Americans are afraid of freedom . . .

Travlyr
12-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Yes, I think so.

I think the No One But Paul folks have skewed the media's perception, because that's a concept unique to the presidential race. I think in terms of congressional races, though, Paul's support may be relatively transferable to the right kinds of candidates. People forget where the whole Tea Party thing came from in the first place, and that injected some momentum into the GOP base in a number of congressional matchups last time.I'm with Ron Paul on this one. If a candidate steps forward with an honest policy of sound money, peace, and freedom, then I could support them. He or she would have to be in favor of immediately auditing the federal reserve system, obeying the rule of law, and stop aggressively killing people they don't like. Right now, Ron Paul is the only sane person running for president, but if another one steps forward with integrity, then yes, I could support him or her.

WilliamC
12-30-2011, 08:20 AM

They are afraid because that's what they've been conditioned to feel, brainwashed by TV and the entertainment industry.

I honestly believe that most Americans, indeed most humans, crave freedom and were they to understand the difference between what they have been sold and what freedom could offer them that they would be enraged at those who have withheld it from us for so long.

Rincewind
12-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Clearly if I'm given too much freedom, I'll probably end up doing a bunch of heroin and riding a goat into town while shooting a couple of revolvers in the air like Yosemite Sam.

I'm glad the government keeps me from doing that kind of stuff.

bobbyw24
12-30-2011, 08:26 AM
They are afraid because that's what they've been conditioned to feel, brainwashed by TV and the entertainment industry.

I honestly believe that most Americans, indeed most humans, crave freedom and were they to understand the difference between what they have been sold and what freedom could offer them that they would be enraged at those who have withheld it from us for so long.

true

DonovanJames
12-30-2011, 08:58 AM

Huxley's Brave New World was a message that really resonated with me. What we love will ruin us. I think a majority of American's have become sedated with luxuries. I believe the fear is not from the unknowing of what is to come from change but the loss of our contentment.

I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast with Shane Smith, the chief editor of Vice magazine, who basically gets drunk and goes into some of the scariest places on earth rogue journalism style. He was there during the Lybia revolution. The part I remember vividly about him talking about his experience was when he was in a hospital during some of the worst fighting. He said there was a small boy lying on a bed bleeding from an explosion. The boy had awaken and began to unplug all his medical cords and needles and dropped to the floor and crawled towards the exit. He asked the boy what he was doing and the kid responded that he was fighting for his freedom and his brothers are still out there and need him. I thought to myself, "there must not have been cable TV in his hospital room"

bobbyw24
01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Is Bachmann's?

Maltheus
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I bet he hopes so

Why wouldn't it? In 2008, RP supporters were divided between Barr and Baldwin. Neither was a good substitute. Gary Johnson is the natural candidate to run to. I sent him money this morning, because as much as I love Ron Paul, last night put the writing on the wall. I'll continue the delegate route for RP, but that's just to give me the opportunity to pre-educate Republicans as to why they're about to lose this election by pulling a McCain yet again. They're worried about RP going 3rd party, but he won't have to. The defections are already baked in.

MsDoodahs
01-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Clearly if I'm given too much freedom, I'll probably end up doing a bunch of heroin and riding a goat into town while shooting a couple of revolvers in the air like Yosemite Sam.

that cracked me up!

affa
01-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Why wouldn't it? In 2008, RP supporters were divided between Barr and Baldwin. Neither was a good substitute. Gary Johnson is the natural candidate to run to. I sent him money this morning, because as much as I love Ron Paul, last night put the writing on the wall.

What writing? That he's going to win? You people desert Ron Paul over a couple thousand votes? And try to capture as many minds as possible on your way out? I have one thing to say to that:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/attachments/deserves-caption/23669d1224125660-capture-cat-pfft.jpg

Bruno
01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
What writing? That he's going to win? You people desert Ron Paul over a couple thousand votes? And try to capture as many minds as possible on your way out? I have one thing to say to that:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/attachments/deserves-caption/23669d1224125660-capture-cat-pfft.jpg

+ rep for both the post and Bill the Cat pic. Used to draw him all the time when I was a kid. :)

Czolgosz
01-04-2012, 02:16 PM

lol

Maltheus
01-04-2012, 02:59 PM

It's not just a couple thousand votes. He put his all into Iowa and couldn't even get close to #2 (in a caucus state no less, against a last minute nobody). It's still worth continuing on with the campaign for educational purposes, just like it was in 2008, but reality is reality. He needed to hit one out of the park to have any chance. When's his next best chance? Nevada?? Cause it sure ain't NH. And since we're unwilling to negotiate our support away to Romney, what good will a brokered convention do us?

After 2008, it was about taking over the Repbulican party. That was clearly a bust, with pretty much every active supporter I know of that strategy, now burned out on it. No one can tolerate being around those people for more than short sprints. Attending GOP functions is as exicting as your typical funeral. The Tea Party is long dead and the GOP is now backing the author of Oromneycare. Ron Paul is done after this election, so what's next? Who other than Johnson? The GOP needs to see their support plummet for shafting all the new blood that Paul brought in the party. You can't maintain a national party with Christian Warriors alone (nor can we take over a party of Christian Warriors without a champion to rally around).

eduardo89
01-04-2012, 03:11 PM
It's not just a couple thousand votes. He put his all into Iowa and couldn't even get close to #2 (in a caucus state no less, against a last minute nobody). It's still worth continuing on with the campaign for educational purposes, just like it was in 2008, but reality is reality. He needed to hit one out of the park to have any chance. When's his next best chance? Nevada?? Cause it sure ain't NH. And since we're unwilling to negotiate our support away to Romney, what good will a brokered convention do us?

After 2008, it was about taking over the Repbulican party. That was clearly a bust, with pretty much every active supporter I know of that strategy, now burned out on it. No one can tolerate being around those people for more than short sprints. Attending GOP functions is as exicting as your typical funeral. The Tea Party is long dead and the GOP is now backing the author of Oromneycare. Ron Paul is done after this election, so what's next? Who other than Johnson? The GOP needs to see their support plummet for shafting all the new blood that Paul brought in the party. You can't maintain a national party with Christian Warriors alone (nor can we take over a party of Christian Warriors without a champion to rally around).

You do realize Ron tied for first in the estimated delegate count and at the convention he'll probably get the most delegates (probably 10). Also, Santorum won't make it all the way to the state convention date and his delegates will not support mitt Romney.

Maltheus
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
You do realize Ron tied for first in the estimated delegate count and at the convention he'll probably get the most delegates (probably 10). Also, Santorum won't make it all the way to the state convention date and his delegates will not support mitt Romney.

I realize that there's a story going around, making people believe that. But what I saw on C-SPAN was that he may end up with significantly less delegates than his percentage would suggest. In the one precinct they showed, they had six delegates and awarded three to Romney, two to Santorum and one to Paul, based on their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place showings. If this is representative of other precincts, then Romney goes into state with a 3 to 1 lead over Paul. And I don't see the Santorum voters coming into our camp when he drops. They want war so Paul will never be their guy.

Captain Shays
01-04-2012, 03:24 PM

The establishment saw the power we had when we raised $6.5 million in one day for the Tea Party money bomb which started the Tea Party. When it still had energy and wasn't yet coopted by the criminal neocons we DID take over the GOP to some extent and it resulted in carnage for the Dems in 2010. Now look at those "Tes Party" candidates who got elected. Many of them have become "establishment" themselves.

"Sure ain't New Hampshire"? WHAT? We're polling hot and heavy in NH and if we work hard will have a good showing. We NEED to start a concerted focus on South Carolina. Ron Paul is a natural for the Evangelicals but many of them don't know it yet but IF we can reach them it's going to be all out war with the GOP because it will turn a tide agains them and their puppets of the Christian right who have been hoodwinked and played for a long time by the establishment. Once the deception has been exposed they WILL lose the Evangelicals forever.
Send your money to who you want but right now Ron Paul is on the front line nor Johnson. Paul is out candidate and he will remain our candidate. I for one won't cast my vote for ANYONE else in 2012. Not the way the establishment treated him and us. Not the way they lied, misrepresented, bad mouthed and kicked around like dogs.

I am part of that NO ONE BUT PAUL crowd and will proudly remain so

Maltheus
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM
The establishment saw the power we had when we raised $6.5 million in one day for the Tea Party money bomb which started the Tea Party. When it still had energy and wasn't yet coopted by the criminal neocons we DID take over the GOP to some extent and it resulted in carnage for the Dems in 2010. Now look at those "Tes Party" candidates who got elected. Many of them have become "establishment" themselves.

"Sure ain't New Hampshire"? WHAT? We're polling hot and heavy in NH and if we work hard will have a good showing. We NEED to start a concerted focus on South Carolina. Ron Paul is a natural for the Evangelicals but many of them don't know it yet but IF we can reach them it's going to be all out war with the GOP because it will turn a tide agains them and their puppets of the Christian right who have been hoodwinked and played for a long time by the establishment. Once the deception has been exposed they WILL lose the Evangelicals forever.
Send your money to who you want but right now Ron Paul is on the front line nor Johnson. Paul is out candidate and he will remain our candidate. I for one won't cast my vote for ANYONE else in 2012. Not the way the establishment treated him and us. Not the way they lied, misrepresented, bad mouthed and kicked around like dogs.

I am part of that NO ONE BUT PAUL crowd and will proudly remain so

By, "sure ain't New Hampshire," I mean there's no way we're going to pull off a win in what is essentially a Massachussetts suburb (won't be surprised at 3rd again). No doubt we'll do a lot better than the last time, but you can't win the nomination without winning any states. As for South Carolina and the evangelicals, these people are precisely the reason that we'll never get anywhere within the party. These are the people who think we have to sacrifice ourselves in the middle east to be good with God. They haven't been hoodwinked by the GOP establishment, the ARE the GOP establishment. Ron Paul still is on the front line for now, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have our reinforcements ready to go, because write-in votes are meaningless feel good gestures that typically don't even get counted.

The Free Hornet
01-04-2012, 06:32 PM
By, "sure ain't New Hampshire," I mean there's no way we're going to pull off a win in what is essentially a Massachussetts suburb (won't be surprised at 3rd again). No doubt we'll do a lot better than the last time, but you can't win the nomination without winning any states. As for South Carolina and the evangelicals, these people are precisely the reason that we'll never get anywhere within the party. These are the people who think we have to sacrifice ourselves in the middle east to be good with God. They haven't been hoodwinked by the GOP establishment, the ARE the GOP establishment. Ron Paul still is on the front line for now, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have our reinforcements ready to go, because write-in votes are meaningless feel good gestures that typically don't even get counted.

Your initial comment and ongoing defense of the same is harmful to the cause of freedom. If you wanted to read handwriting on walls, you should have fled the country years ago. To where, I don't know. Preferably somewhere you don't speak the language so as to damper your defeatism.

If we have to fight through several states just to be the last of two, so be it. We may have to fight to make it a 3-way or 4-way race. If Super Tuesday is lost and is 70% Romney, 30% Paul, then you can come back and be all "I tolds you so!" like anybody cares. Even then, the people who aren't wusses will be fighting for Texas and California. There is a lot of runway left and it may take only one revelation about Romney or from the country for this to change. The dollar or the Euro can collapse or we can tailspin deeper into the "business cycle" recession. How about keeping your chin up and not going anywhere? If you want to read handwriting, how did you miss the stuff about Gary not having a shot in hell? At least not unless Ron Paul decides to pass on 2012. He'll tell you when its over. I would gladly throw down for a three-way (Obama, Romney, Johnson) but with Paul in the mix, you are just in the wrong place.

Look at this steady climb:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/nh/new_hampshire_republican_presidential_primary-1581.html

The media has played the fringe card, libertarian card, the unelectable card, the the race card, and even the truther card. Their holding shit now. Now is the time to support Ron and fight for your freedom.

Maltheus
01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Your initial comment and ongoing defense of the same is harmful to the cause of freedom. If you wanted to read handwriting on walls, you should have fled the country years ago. To where, I don't know. Preferably somewhere you don't speak the language so as to damper your defeatism.

If we have to fight through several states just to be the last of two, so be it. We may have to fight to make it a 3-way or 4-way race. If Super Tuesday is lost and is 70% Romney, 30% Paul, then you can come back and be all "I tolds you so!" like anybody cares. Even then, the people who aren't wusses will be fighting for Texas and California. There is a lot of runway left and it may take only one revelation about Romney or from the country for this to change. The dollar or the Euro can collapse or we can tailspin deeper into the "business cycle" recession. How about keeping your chin up and not going anywhere? If you want to read handwriting, how did you miss the stuff about Gary not having a shot in hell? At least not unless Ron Paul decides to pass on 2012. He'll tell you when its over. I would gladly throw down for a three-way (Obama, Romney, Johnson) but with Paul in the mix, you are just in the wrong place.

Look at this steady climb:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/nh/new_hampshire_republican_presidential_primary-1581.html

The media has played the fringe card, libertarian card, the unelectable card, the the race card, and even the truther card. Their holding shit now. Now is the time to support Ron and fight for your freedom.

Obviously I do support him, or I wouldn't be here. And I won't throw my full (ie. public) support behind Johnson until after my state convention (or possibly the national). But the future is coming and you can't wish Paul into winning the nomination. People were much more sober the first time around in their assessments. Now, we're starting to truly earn that crazy label, with all of this fingers in our ears, la la la, Ron Paul is going to win BS. For me, it's always been more about the movement than the man. People committing themselves to writing in Ron Paul's name, even if he doesn't get the nom are more into the man (which is cultish and counter-productive IMO).