PDA

View Full Version : NM - Woman seeks cash, apology from cops for shot dog

Anti Federalist
12-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Woman seeks cash, apology for shot dog

By Ashley Meeks
Posted: 12/29/2011 09:50:45 PM MST

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_19643521

LAS CRUCES - A Las Cruces woman is asking the city to pay $168 and give her an apology after a Las Cruces Police officer shot her dog during an investigation Monday.

Officer Patrick Rico had arrived at Chris Wilson's home on the 1000 block of Ninth Street while investigating a larceny Monday morning - officers needed to question Wilson's grandson, who is not charged in the crime - when Wilson's dog allegedly came out and tried to bite him, according to the police report.

When the officer tried to kick the dog, the dog "attached itself on (the officer's) leg," and Rico shot the dog once, the report states.

But Wilson says she had already restrained her 9-year-old Boxer, "Yogi," when the officer fired - just feet from her.

"The officer shot with me right there next to the dog," Wilson said Thursday. "My ears rang for 20 minutes to an hour afterward."

Wilson brought the shaking dog inside, where he splattered blood all over her carpet and walls. An emergency veterinarian visit, to stitch up Yogi's ear and leg, cost $168. Wilson was unharmed: "Besides having to take extra blood pressure and heart medicine that morning, yes."

She said officers have come to her neighborhood before, but they've never come through the gate like Rico, who she said was bitten on his shoe.

"They know, don't come in the yard," Wilson said. "They stand out by the gate. We have our yard posted, 'Beware of Dog,' and then the dog will bark and we will come out."

Wilson wants the police department to pay for the vet bill - and she wants the department to apologize.

"I think it was an unjustified shooting," she said. "And me standing right there, holding his chain and his collar and (the officer) was two feet away. I was right on the other side of the dog."

Las Cruces Police Department Public Information Officer Wallace Downs couldn't say if the city will oblige with Wilson's requests.

"Las Cruces Police officers are authorized to discharge their firearms to protect themselves and others, to include stopping a dangerous dog," said Downs, who said Rico was treated for minor injuries on scene. "It's still under investigation."

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-30-2011, 03:45 AM
$168? That's it? Cop shoots your dog, business as usual. You shoot a police dog, you're fucked.

DamianTV
12-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Shoot? Ha! If you even FART around a Cop, they will come down on you like a shitstorm and not even give you the courtesy of an umbrella! And that is no joke. People have been busted for even breaking wind around cops. But dogs are living creatures. They whine. They whimper. They smile. They feel. What the fuck gives the cops the right to kill peoples animals? In the name of protecting their income? Is that it? Is that really all they give a shit about is their fucking pension funds and the rest of us be damned? Animal Suffering is a symptom of the problems we have that comes from the top, and I am talking about the Real Sociopathic Fucks that seriously wouldnt give a shit if 90% of the population of the planet died in the worst possible manner as long as they have their Tea and Crumpets!

Johnny Appleseed
12-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Isn't this what they invented pepper spray for?

Anti Federalist
12-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Isn't this what they invented pepper spray for?

As a matter of fact, yes, it was.

The brand name used to be "HALT", and I remember mailmen used to carry it for stopping dog bites.