PDA

View Full Version : Crowd measurement

Question_Authority
11-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I just emailed the main site about this, but just in case they are deluged I wanted to get the word out here to other organizers:

I wonder what system you have in place for accurate measurement of crowd
turnout (and then reporting to the media the numbers). There shold be some pre-determined method.

I have often seen the media make their own estimates and they usually WAY underestimate the size of the crowd, which is very frustrating.

Please make sure that there is plenty of still photo and video footage of the crowd from an ELEVATED position (perhaps the stage or even a window in a nearby building).

So many times I watch a RP rally on youtube and the camera stays focused on him the ENTIRE time, with MAYBE a few grainy, shaky shots of the crowd if you're lucky.

I really hope there is a professional video 2 - 3 camera shoot with editing of this rally that will show crowd reaction en masse as well as close ups of people clapping and screaming, etc. It makes the youtube video so much more compelling.

Thanks and good luck! I'll be with you in spirit!

american.swan
11-09-2007, 12:02 AM
I just emailed the main site about this, but just in case they are deluged I wanted to get the word out here to other organizers:

turnout (and then reporting to the media the numbers). There shold be some pre-determined method.

I have often seen the media make their own estimates and they usually WAY underestimate the size of the crowd, which is very frustrating.

Please make sure that there is plenty of still photo and video footage of the crowd from an ELEVATED position (perhaps the stage or even a window in a nearby building).

So many times I watch a RP rally on youtube and the camera stays focused on him the ENTIRE time, with MAYBE a few grainy, shaky shots of the crowd if you're lucky.

I really hope there is a professional video 2 - 3 camera shoot with editing of this rally that will show crowd reaction en masse as well as close ups of people clapping and screaming, etc. It makes the youtube video so much more compelling.

+1

andrewgreve
11-09-2007, 12:19 AM
for sure. i bet the campaign will have cameras there as well doing a (semi)pro shoot.

terlinguatx
11-09-2007, 01:14 AM
They'll be local media if not nationl there and I'm sure they'll all want to know they exact number

parocks
11-09-2007, 04:20 AM

I plan on going to the rally, bringing my camcorder, my tripod, standing at the back, and zooming in and out periodically. Probably zoomed in when Dr. Paul is talking and zoomed out when the crowd is cheering and waving signs. I'll probably put it up on Youtube, although there may very well be hundreds of videos of it online by the time I get home.

The grassroots might be helpful to the official campaign by setting up a place or method of uploading quality video footage (or bittorrent perhaps?) that the official campaign can use in making a DVD of the event for distribution.

Question_Authority
11-09-2007, 09:14 AM
The grassroots might be helpful to the official campaign by setting up a place or method of uploading quality video footage (or bittorrent perhaps?) that the official campaign can use in making a DVD of the event for distribution.

That's an excellent idea. They would be able to edit together the best of the best footage. (again, try to get to an elevated position for good crowd shots) HAVE FUN!

Question_Authority
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
They'll be local media if not nationl there and I'm sure they'll all want to know they exact number

No, that's my point. They often don't care about the exact number and are happy to minimalize the amount of people there. And they all have their own "methods" for estimating the crowd size.

Hurricane Bruiser
11-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I'll see what I can do to get some wide angle shots from a distance which encompases everything. Might be able to count heads from the photos.

Paul4Prez
11-09-2007, 11:38 PM
for sure. i bet the campaign will have cameras there as well doing a (semi)pro shoot.

I hope they spend a few bucks to get some high quality professional video, to put in campaign commercials. The Independence Hall backdrop will be awesome.

jgmaynard
11-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Do you know the capacity of the place? It often helps me to get an idea like
"Ok, this place holds 4,000 and it's about 4/5ths full..."

But photos and a QUICK head count are the best estimates...

JM

SpicyItalian739
11-10-2007, 04:16 AM
I read somewhere tonight that there was gonna be a documentary film crew there filming it, but I forget where I read that...