PDA

View Full Version : Beware of fraudulent TeaParty07 sites...

nathanielyao
11-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for everyone for your efforts on TeaParty07...

Just as a reminder, the real site is www.TeaParty07.com
(Please note, do not call this the "official site")

This is the site that I asked Trevor to work on.

Since we are in the news now, and since the success of 11/5, We don't want anyone's information phished by someone who is posting a fraudulent TeaParty07 site or even trying to sabotage the campaign. Millions of dollars and thousands of people's information are at stake.

When you donate, type in www.ronpaul2008.com/donate into your web browser. Do not click through any links to donate, even if you are on the TeaParty07.com website, to avoid being misdirected.

Hopefully the copy sites that are popping up are well meaning supporters and they are genuinely there to help...

Green Mountain Boy
11-08-2007, 09:42 PM
What is this site?? :confused:

http://www.teaparty07.org/

528 people have already signed up.

Wayne Hammond
11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Hopefully, whoever registered teaparty07.org and teaparty07.net will come forward and assure us that they are indeed Ron Paul supporters, and hopefully they will forward those domains to the "official" site at www.teaparty07.com.

Please folks - be careful about signing up on any site other than www.teaparty07.com!

Man from La Mancha
11-08-2007, 09:44 PM
and this.....http://ondecember16th.com/

Hopefully everybody can coordinate on a central site.

mfoley1
11-08-2007, 09:50 PM
if not you should add something on the .com site that says "Official" or something like that, but yea it would be nice if they were all linked together.

SonicInfinity
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
"TeaParty.com" won't load for me. Are you currently updating it?

Wayne Hammond
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
if not you should add something on the .com site that says "Official" or something like that, but yea it would be nice if they were all linked together.

Yep, well actually, none of this is actually "official" - as in "from the official Ron Paul campaign", HOWEVER, it's been a pretty well-established consensus that we're going to use Nathaniel's and Trevor's www.teaparty07.com web site as THE ONLY web site to sign up for Dec. 16th donation pledges.

We don't want to dilute or confuse anyone. www.teaparty07.com is THE SITE. :)

Wayne Hammond
11-08-2007, 09:57 PM

Nathaniel says that the DNS service is being updated for www.teaparty07.com, and it may take 24 hours or so to fully propagate across the Internet... so you should start to see his page up and running by Friday morning sometime (hopefully!) :)

JordanL
11-08-2007, 09:59 PM

Just to be clear, I own http://ondecember16th.com, and I've been communicating with teaparty07.com

I'm trying to work with them to reach more people, not dilute the message. :)

Jobarra
11-08-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm looking at the .org and .net sites as fraudulent sites until someone can step up and admit to them. I would suggest the .com site list something about this as well. On a side note, ALWAYS register all three old school web names. .com, .org, .net.

Notice that someone is keeping track of names on the .org and .net sites. Also notice that there is a digg link already for it.

BTW, whoever owns that site is linking to Copperhed51's well made video. Copperhed51, can you make sure to point to teaparty07.com in you video and remove all other copies? Not sure what can be done about them linking to it other than deleting it.

Question_Authority
11-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I got an email from Gary Franchi today (from Restore the Republic) referring me to teaparty07.ORG which is a horrid looking site. I assumed it was the original one. Hmmmm.

NinjaPirate
11-08-2007, 10:07 PM

Try flushing your DNS:

Start -> Run -> cmd.exe (type this out) -> then type at the C:\ prompt: inpconfig /flushdns

close out your browser, open a new one and try getting to the site again.

kimochinews
11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Nathaniel and Trevor,

Could you post the IP to your http://teaparty07.com/ site so that the people here can have something to look at while waiting for the DNS servers to kick in?

Congrats on the excellent idea. :)

Kimochi

kimochinews
11-08-2007, 10:16 PM
My mistake. The DNS servers have now kicked in for me, and the server appears not to be setup to take requests from http://208.109.181.30/ , which is the IP for teaparty07.com

It looks great, aside from a layout mishap on Safari. Here is a screenshot:

http://yuuki.onigirihouse.com/layoutmishap.png

Copperhed51
11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm looking at the .org and .net sites as fraudulent sites until someone can step up and admit to them. I would suggest the .com site list something about this as well. On a side note, ALWAYS register all three old school web names. .com, .org, .net.

Notice that someone is keeping track of names on the .org and .net sites. Also notice that there is a digg link already for it.

BTW, whoever owns that site is linking to Copperhed51's well made video. Copperhed51, can you make sure to point to teaparty07.com in you video and remove all other copies? Not sure what can be done about them linking to it other than deleting it.

The official website is mentioned twice in the video and there's links to the official website when you view the video on youtube. Some people have warned about the phony sites in the comments of the video. I'm not sure if there's much else I can do. Hopefully these people have good intentions but they need to be team players.

Mckarnin
11-08-2007, 10:59 PM

OnDecember16th
and On December 15th are by a guy who is one here. He made the ad with all the little white men that got highlighted red because of the glow of hope for freedon...or something like that...starts with a "J".

Jobarra
11-08-2007, 10:59 PM
The official website is mentioned twice in the video and there's links to the official website when you view the video on youtube. Some people have warned about the phony sites in the comments of the video. I'm not sure if there's much else I can do. Hopefully these people have good intentions but they need to be team players.
Yeah, missed that in the video. Probably because I've viewed it so much :D.

I'm just really worried that they're asking for names AND email addresses. Also concerned that they are essentially using everything that was talked about on this board.

Mckarnin
11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah, missed that in the video. Probably because I've viewed it so much :D.

I'm just really worried that they're asking for names AND email addresses. Also concerned that they are essentially using everything that was talked about on this board.

Well they aren't doing a super professional looking job of it.

Wayne Hammond
11-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more suspicious the .net and .org domains seem to me. I also noticed that they've put up a Digg.com link at the top right of each page - I think that was done recently, (as in within the last two hours), because I don't remember seeing a Digg link on the sites a few hours ago when I first went there.

nathanielyao
11-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Can people email Gary Franchi and find out who is behind the .ORG and .NET sites or send him this thread to warn everyone...

I got an email from Gary Franchi today (from Restore the Republic) referring me to teaparty07.ORG which is a horrid looking site. I assumed it was the original one. Hmmmm.

Green Mountain Boy
11-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Can people email Gary Franchi and find out who is behind the .ORG and .NET sites or send him this thread to warn everyone...

I sent a message through the form at www.restoretherepublic.com but I don't know Gary Franchi's personal email.

moberley
11-08-2007, 11:21 PM
To the money bomb organizers concerned about legitimacy/fraud etc. I would encourage you consider how you can improve you're own site to deal with the concerns.

For example, the TeaParty07.com website does not have any accessible contact information that I can find nor does it have a policy posted regarding how the information collected will be used.

It's a bit difficult to fault one site for not disclosing its backers up front and not all of them.

Wayne Hammond
11-08-2007, 11:26 PM
To the money bomb organizers concerned about legitimacy/fraud etc. I would encourage you consider how you can improve you're own site to deal with the concerns.

For example, the TeaParty07.com website does not have any accessible contact information that I can find nor does it have a policy posted regarding how the information collected will be used.

It's a bit difficult to fault one site for not disclosing its backers up front and not all of them.

Uh, All the contact info is there for www.teaparty07.com... try going here:

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=teaparty07.com

We're talking about the "whois" record - the official record of domain ownership, not what is on the web page.

moberley
11-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Uh, All the contact info is there for www.teaparty07.com... try going here:

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=teaparty07.com

We're talking about the "whois" record - the official record of domain ownership, not what is on the web page.

I'm aware of how to access information made available through whois, and I'm also registered on Ron Paul Forums so I already know who is responsible for the site. My point was I don't expect people to query every site they want to identify through whois. It's a bit more technical than is really necessary for the general internet population.

Running a whois is something I do often, and maybe you do as well. But, people for whom that is true are a statistical minority and in some population sets can be considered outliers.

LibertyOfOne
11-08-2007, 11:39 PM
This sounds bogus. Another person claimed that the .org site is fake turns out they were from the democratic underground.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=34340

Green Mountain Boy
11-08-2007, 11:40 PM
This sounds bogus. Another person claimed that the .org site is fake turns out they were from the democratic underground.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=34340

What sounds bogus?

MO4RonPaul
11-08-2007, 11:46 PM
What do you do if you unwittingly signed up at the .org site? :rolleyes:

Tidewise
11-08-2007, 11:48 PM
It's cool to have different sites. It's a good thing. As long as donations are made to the official site, the more the merrier.

LibertyOfOne
11-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Just ask the person who runs the Nov 5th.com to clear this mess up on what the official website is.

Mckarnin
11-08-2007, 11:51 PM
What do you do if you unwittingly signed up at the .org site? :rolleyes:

Let us know if you get spammed or the .org site seems to be hurting or discrediting RP with what they send out. ;-)

MO4RonPaul
11-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Let us know if you get spammed or the .org site seems to be hurting or discrediting RP with what they send out. ;-)

Ok.

Wayne Hammond
11-08-2007, 11:59 PM
It's cool to have different sites. It's a good thing. As long as donations are made to the official site, the more the merrier.

No, it is not cool. If indeed the .org and .net sites are email harvesters, or worse, anti-Paul people, much damage could be done - it creates confusion among new supporters, which is not good. What's stopping these two sites from changing their site slightly on Dec. 16th, and then direct users to a look-alike, "official-looking" donation site, whereupon they enter their credit card information on Dec. 16th to a fake site?

THE ONE AND ONLY SITE is www.teaparty07.com PERIOD.

The owner of teaparty07.com is working directly with Trevor of www.thisnovember5th.com - the other sites are not working with anyone and have hidden their true identity. Very suspect.

LibertyOfOne
11-09-2007, 12:02 AM
No, it is not cool. If indeed the .org and .net sites are email harvesters, or worse, anti-Paul people, much damage could be done - it creates confusion among new supporters, which is not good. What's stopping these two sites from changing their site slightly on Dec. 16th, and then direct users to a look-alike, "official-looking" donation site, whereupon they enter their credit card information on Dec. 16th to a fake site?

THE ONE AND ONLY SITE is www.teaparty07.com (http://www.teaparty07.com) PERIOD.

The owner of teaparty07.com is working directly with Trevor of www.thisnovember5th.com (http://www.thisnovember5th.com) - the other sites are not working with anyone and have hidden their true identity. Very suspect.

Who are you?

Wayne Hammond
11-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Who are you?

Who me? Just a Ron Paul supporter. Why do you ask?

Wayne Hammond
11-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Who are you?

Look, I'm nobody, but I'm just saying that people be careful about promoting the .org and .net sites as the site to sign up with. I'm getting tired of responding and it's about my bed time, but this is a very real possible scenario:

1. Someone sets up authentic-looking sites on teaparty07.net and teaparty07.org

2. They get people to accept that "oh, we can use any one of the 3 sites to sign up with - .com, .net or .org"

3. Everything proceeds fine as new supporters sign up with all 3 sites, not realizing that the .net and .org sites are scammers.

4. On the day of Dec. 16th, the scammers on .net & .org change their donation link on their two web sites from the official site, (www.ronpaul2008.com) to a fake donation site, and thereby harvest everyone's credit card numbers.

Who knows whether these people are scammers or not?... but unless and until we hear from them here, we have to be very careful.

moberley
11-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Who me? Just a Ron Paul supporter. Why do you ask?

I don't speak for the previous poster and don't know why they asked. But, as for me, I would ask the same question because you appear to have assumed for yourself a mantle of authority on this question.

While I can see reason for legitimate concern regarding the various money bomb promoting websites if it isn't clear who operates them, that does not prove the logical assertion that there should only be one site.

Wayne Hammond
11-09-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't speak for the previous poster and don't know why they asked. But, as for me, I would ask the same question because you appear to have assumed for yourself a mantle of authority on this question..

I have no authority and for that matter, no one here does. This is all grass-roots and decentralized.

What has been established, through consensus here (if you actually read the several threads here) is that www.teaparty07.com has been decided upon as the site most people will be using, probably because of the openness, transparency and honesty of the domain owner and his association with Trevor, the already-proven domain owner of thisnovember5th.com.

The domain owners of teaparty07.net and teaparty07.org have not been open, not been transparent and have not participated in any sort of group discussion here at all. Thus the suspicion that has been raised by several here.

hard@work
11-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Waiting on the .com owner to report in...

moberley
11-09-2007, 12:29 AM
While I can see reason for legitimate concern regarding the various money bomb promoting websites if it isn't clear who operates them, that does not prove the logical assertion that there should only be one site.

To follow up with my previous point, I don't think the teaparty07.com site is entirely above reproach on questions of unclear ownership. Yes, I could pop open a command line and run a quick whois or I could zip over to google and try some searches. But why should I need to do that and if I am an outsider to your community (which I consider myself to be) on what basis do you count on my doing any of this?

And, I say all of that, because it seems to me a simple solution would be a clear link at the top of the page connecting the Tea Party site to the Ron Paul Money Bomb's website (which does have names and email addresses posted).

LibertyOfOne
11-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Just contact Trevor. I already sent an email to him.

Wayne Hammond
11-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Waiting on the .com owner to report in...

He already did. His is the first post in this thread, warning everyone that the .net and .org sites may be fake.

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Look

teaparty07.com is the legit site. it is trevor's, we all know that, it is undisputable.

Wayne Hammond has some very real concerns regarding the other sites. I hope they are the real thing, but they could very well be scam sites, and until we confirm they are the real thing, we need to be suspicious. I worked in computer security for years, and this is the slimy kind of shit a phisher can pull.

We need to know those sites are legit. We need to have someone contact Trevor, and we need disclaimers telling everyone to only donate at the official website, or this could be a catastrophe, resulting in some ass in Russia running away with 100's of thousands in donations.

(teaparty07.org & .net look identical, and have a disclaimer)

every other official link will need ot have it's .org and .net counterparts checked as well.

Also, the .org and /net site look prety bad in Firefox.

Jobarra
11-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I don't speak for the previous poster and don't know why they asked. But, as for me, I would ask the same question because you appear to have assumed for yourself a mantle of authority on this question.

I believe I can 'prove' your assertion in this way:
CNN did a story today on this website and a new teaparty07 website that is going up. It spoke about it because it is also being worked on the same person that did thisnovember5th.com. Since thisnovember5th.com was honest until the end and did not try to redirect anywhere, I would give the creator of that website the benefit of doubt as to legitimacy.

As for the .org and .net sites. While they COULD be a legitimate site, there are several disconcerting facts that lean towards it not being a legitimate site. The teaparty07.com website was created 10/25/2007. The .org and .net sites were created on 11/08/2007 at 19:20:31 UTC. This would be after the CNN broadcast. The websites use videos created HERE, on THIS website FOR teaparty07.com. There are also graphics that were being used here that are used on those websites. The .net and .org websites request a NAME field. This was never requested on the thisnovember5th.com site.

So perhaps you can see why we're a LITTLE concerned.

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 12:40 AM
I signed up to track them.

When I hit the submit button, it took me to RonPaul2008.com.

that sets off more alarm bells.

moberley
11-09-2007, 12:57 AM
So perhaps you can see why we're a LITTLE concerned.

I certainly can, and I already asserted that I regard your concerns as legitimate. It's probable my assertion was unclear, so I will restate it: there is just cause to be concerned that some of the December 16 sites are fraudulent.

I was merely trying to point out that if I were not already aware of Ron Paul Forums, the threads pertaining to this effort, or the provenance of the previous efforts I would also have some cause for concern with the consensus site being promoted in this forum. These projects are getting a lot of attention now (as you pointed out) and an outsider will not know all the things that many of the posters here know.

I'm not trying to be belligerent in any way. I find all these projects that people are doing to promote and support a political candidate remarkably fascinating. I am encouraged by that.

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 01:04 AM
I will not even be happy until the control of those two sites are handed over to Trevor. Anything less, and I consider them fraudsters. Something is very, very fishy about those two sites.

Wayne Hammond
11-09-2007, 01:11 AM
I will not even be happy until the control of those two sites are handed over to Trevor. Anything less, and I consider them fraudsters. Something is very, very fishy about those two sites.

Totally agree... At the very least the owners should forward all traffic to the www.teaparty07.com site.

The problem with handing the site over to Trevor is that domain transfers cannot be processed for brand new domains until they have been registered for 60 days, which would make a transfer impossible until well after Dec 16th.

But again, they could simply take down the sites altogether, or forward all traffic to the .com site.

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Totally agree... At the very least the owners should forward all traffic to the www.teaparty07.com site.

The problem with handing the site over to Trevor is that domain transfers cannot be processed for brand new domains until they have been registered for 60 days, which would make a transfer impossible until well after Dec 16th.

But again, they could simply take down the sites altogether, or forward all traffic to the .com site.

With confirmation from Trevor that the traffic is being forwarded to trevors site. Phishers are the trickiest scam artists on the web.

And I must state, I am soooo glad Trevor agreed to run this one.

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 01:18 AM
we got the $5 fraudulent donations

the .org and .net websites ask for a name

so on Dec 16th, they take the $100, donate $5 to RonPaul2008.com, and submit the name you gave.

That way, you will see your name go by on the official website, and have no idea they just took your money.

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 01:19 AM
somebody signing up on these forums, and assuring us these wbsites are OK will NOT be enough.

Wayne Hammond
11-09-2007, 01:19 AM
With confirmation from Trevor that the traffic is being forwarded to trevors site. Phishers are the trickiest scam artists on the web.

And I must state, I am soooo glad Trevor agreed to run this one.

Yep. Actually, the teaparty07.com domain is owned by Nathaniel Yao, who is working with Trevor Lymon to produce the web site.

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Yep. Actually, the teaparty07.com domain is owned by Nathaniel Yao, who is working with Trevor Lymon to produce the web site.

I know

Did you catch why I think they are asking for a name?

so on Dec 16th, they take the $100, donate $5 to RonPaul2008.com, and submit the name you gave.

That way, you will see your name go by on the official website, and have no idea they just took your money.

Wayne Hammond
11-09-2007, 01:28 AM
I know

Just read it. Very possible! I think you're right - we really need Trevor to clarify on the thisnovember5th.com web site (and Nathaniel's teaparty07.com site) that these two .net and .org domains are not legit, so we can have closure on this.

Man from La Mancha
11-09-2007, 01:40 AM
What can be done to stop these fraud sites?

NewEnd
11-09-2007, 02:06 AM
from a lot of chatter, I am picking up that the .org and .nets are owned by "Gary Franchi - , and if this is the person running the Lone Lantern Society,", I haev read it at Daily Paul: http://www.dailypaul.com/node/6550 , and also I read here that someone got an email from him.

If so, he is a Ron Paul supporter, and the worst of worries can be put to rest.

That said, I still think it is best that teaparty07.com be promoted as the offical sign up site.

Jobarra
11-09-2007, 03:16 AM
Well, Trevor just posted they are sites by someone who is friendly to the campaign. I can understand buying them up, but I was just confused that someone had a signup sheet and 'borrowed' graphics that were for the .com site. As I posted on Trevor's thread, how can they transfer those that are already signed up?

I know we're grassroots, but organizing isn't a bad thing :P

wisconsinite
11-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Also, the .org and /net site look prety bad in Firefox.

That's an understatement. They look really bad to anyone who isn't colorblind. Actually, the terribleness of the layout makes them seem even more fishy in my mind. I would think a devoted supporter would put at least a minimum amount of thought into what looks good.

Benaiah
11-09-2007, 04:45 AM
I know

That would only work if the website is getting donations. Everyone is only signing up at these sites, but going to RonPaul2008.com to donate the money.

[edit] read the bottom of teaparty07.org. It says "go to the official website to donate" and gives the address.

cero
11-10-2007, 09:07 PM
the teaparty07.com site doesn't show up under a google search only the the .org site pops up, would be good if that site were taken down and replaced with the .com one

wisconsinite
11-10-2007, 09:14 PM
the teaparty07.com site doesn't show up under a google search only the the .org site pops up, would be good if that site were taken down and replaced with the .com one

Right now it comes up on the second page if "teaparty07" is searched.

Thomas Adams
11-10-2007, 09:33 PM
The .org and .net sites are officialy pointing at the .com site.

jmhelms
11-10-2007, 09:42 PM

NOTE: It's TeaParty07.com don't forget the 07.

jmhelms
11-10-2007, 09:50 PM

At this point if the .org is at the top of google you don't want to "take it down" just redirect it. As of right now the .net redirects to .com and the .org doesn't load properly in IE7. Hopefully they will redirect it soon because the image load out of sight at the bottom of the page. Internet Explorer is the most important browser to have load right as greater than 80% of people use it.

Voice
11-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Gary Franchi: Someone could be using his name.

Also, the fact that they point to the real donation page for now is meaningless Even if they point there on the 16th, its meaninglesss: It would be trivial to hijack every third donation.

~~worried~~

demidog
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Only answers to 'www' won't serve up http://teaparty07.com but it used to.

Not good nor is it necessary. I just got burned here: http://lewrockwell.com/fisk/fisk30.html

The url used to work. I thought all day to day that it was subject to a DOS attack.

NerveShocker
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Teaparty07.com is still down in Chicago, IL for me. I'm beginning to wonder if its ever going to work for me.. The debates are beginning shortly so time is money... literally.
The backup website: Ronpaulsteaparty.com does work fine though.

McDermit
11-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm sticking with the one in my sig.

scrosnoe
11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
It is up for me in Oklahoma - woohooo - good work all!

blahinhawaii
11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
I still can't access teaparty07.com and teaparty07.org does not have all trevor's graphics and IS NOT EVEN USING FEED BURNER. BEWARE. Why haven't we heard from trevor by email on all this?

plubius_reborn
11-29-2007, 06:41 PM
hey, is anyone else having difficulty loading the teaparty07 page?
just curius...

JohnnyWrath
12-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm sticking with the one in my sig.
Go all-in on December 16th - RonPaulsTeaParty.com

This is the one I will help promote.

I don't feel right sending people to a site to be part of Trevors database.

NH4RonPaul
12-13-2007, 11:04 PM
So what's the verdict? Obviously and experienced person would never have bought the .com without taking the .net and .org too.

The .net looks to be a mirror site right now, and the .org has nothing on it.