PDA

View Full Version : I found out why Nov 6 was good

Meatwasp
11-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I was curious what the Catholic people thought of the "V' theme on Nov. 5th

I looked under Yahoo and found their site and they were definitly against it.
They said the movie is anti catholic and anti Christian. So they decided to all donate on the 6th of Nov. which is some religious day for them They organised homeschoolers and Catholics all over to donate as they love Ron Paul. So maybe this is the mystery of so many donations on the 6th. They are very aware of the Nov. 11 bomb and will donate then too.

Pete
11-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the info!

Cali4RonPaul
11-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I am catholic, And I seriously doubt any Catholics held out their donations because of an objection to V for Vendetta, Remember the V theme was removed for quite sometime for the main site... Catholics answer to authority, congregations to priests to cardinals and so forth.. We cannot mobilize without a Papal decree haha..

CurtisLow
11-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I never seen the movie and I'm catholic and gave on the 5th. I want to see the movie. I think if you have a strong spiritual belief nothing should stand in your way. i.e. No dates, time, holidays, movies or what people say.

But some find comfort in what they do..

Brinck Slattery
11-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Hmm... If anything, the movie was anti-Church of England/anti-Anglican. The naughty bishop was most definitely not Catholic.

1000-points-of-fright
11-08-2007, 10:04 PM
One of the reasons for the Gun Powder Plot was because King James was oppressing Catholics. Guy Fawkes was pro-Catholic.

Tarzan
11-08-2007, 11:42 PM
I think this conclusion (that catholics waiting until the 6th) is wrong. One of the main points of having the Nov 5th event was to raise awareness... as well as money. The campaign DID get a media bounce which could have resulted in the good numbers for Nov 6th.

As for the Guy Fawkes thing... like 1000-points said... Guy Fawkes was a catholic! If any catholics are ticked off about Nov 5th it may because of the British celebration on that night... which usually ends with Guy Fawkes effigies being burned. But, the Gunpowder Revolution was over 400 years ago and the day is (to most) just a fun day.

As far as this accounting for the bump in donations on Nov 6th... I don't think that is correct. Regardless, Guy Fawkes is not an important issue in this campaign. The important part was the media exposure and donations... and getting Ron Paul elected!

theseus51
11-08-2007, 11:55 PM
I think this conclusion (that catholics waiting until the 6th) is wrong. One of the main points of having the Nov 5th event was to raise awareness... as well as money. The campaign DID get a media bounce which could have resulted in the good numbers for Nov 6th.

As for the Guy Fawkes thing... like 1000-points said... Guy Fawkes was a catholic! If any catholics are ticked off about Nov 5th it may because of the British celebration on that night... which usually ends with Guy Fawkes effigies being burned. But, the Gunpowder Revolution was over 400 years ago and the day is (to most) just a fun day.

As far as this accounting for the bump in donations on Nov 6th... I don't think that is correct. Regardless, Guy Fawkes is not an important issue in this campaign. The important part was the media exposure and donations... and getting Ron Paul elected!

Yeah, I think it's that. Media attention = Increase in donations. After every debate, donations go up.

happyphilter
11-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Being a Catholic myself, I would have to disagree. Me and my family enjoyed the movie and found nothing wrong with it...

Meatwasp
11-09-2007, 07:28 AM
I went to bed early and didn't read all the remarks. I was baptised catholic too but not practising. Go for yourselfs and look under, Catholics for Ron Paul using yahoo . Scan down towards the middle page and you can read for yourself.

ZenX
11-09-2007, 07:32 AM
http://catholicsforronpaul.blogspot.com/

Here's the link she mentioned. Not sure how large the group is, but the OP was just passing along information.

Meatwasp
11-09-2007, 07:57 AM
I donated on the 5th also and find nothing wrong with the whole concept

Bradley in DC
11-09-2007, 08:23 AM
This makes no sense to this Papist here. The movie honored Catholic activist Guy Fawkes...

kylejack
11-09-2007, 08:28 AM
I went to bed early and didn't read all the remarks. I was baptised catholic too but not practising. Go for yourselfs and look under, Catholics for Ron Paul using yahoo . Scan down towards the middle page and you can read for yourself.
They're idiots, because it wasn't anti-Catholic in any sense, and I don't think one Yahoo group mobilied 400K dollars.

Beerhall Agitator
11-09-2007, 08:34 AM
This makes sense. I like to say that I'm a cultural or ethnic Christian, and not that religious. I found the over-the-top portrayal of the evil priest to be pretty offensive. Hollywood would never get away with portraying a Rabbi or even an Iman like that. It was really an unecessary scene as well, and a cheap shot at Christianity. That scene excluded, the overall message about freedom and the dangers of a totalitarian sate was good, so I still decided to donate.

kylejack
11-09-2007, 08:39 AM
This makes sense. I like to say that I'm a cultural or ethnic Christian, and not that religious. I found the over-the-top portrayal of the evil priest to be pretty offensive. Hollywood would never get away with portraying a Rabbi or even an Iman like that. It was really an unecessary scene as well, and a cheap shot at Christianity. That scene excluded, the overall message about freedom and the dangers of a totalitarian sate was good, so I still decided to donate.

The Anglican Church was created by the State because the Catholic Church wouldn't let King Henry VIII divorce his wives, and he got tired of be-heading them. The depiction, then, is a criticism of state-created religion, and most certainly the exact opposite of the Catholic Church.

Ginobili
11-09-2007, 08:40 AM

I think it was a stab at what actually happens in the real world. Because there are ALOT of stories of pastors/priests/w.e you want to call them doing little kids. About the Rabbi or Iman (what is that anyways?)... I never hear of it. So eh.

P.S., im pretty active christian, but I think to say "OMG this movie = evil because of x or y" is just stupid. If your insulted by a...fricken movie!... you need help and to look at your faith agian.