PDA

View Full Version : $10 Million Ad Buy in Iowa and NH [mod note: context]

SchleckBros
12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
"Paul, who threw the first knives of the season in a TV ad, is giving Gingrich a bare-fisted pummeling. His campaign has made more than $1.37 million in ad buys in Iowa in December, tracking data show.

More buys are coming. The Paul campaign is revving up for a scorcher in the final days, most likely spending another $10 million in Iowa and New Hampshire combined, campaign aides said."

http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/12/27/gop-candidates-super-pacs-have-spent-10-million-on-tv-radio-pitches-in-december/

anewvoice
12-27-2011, 01:37 PM
That is 10 million combined for all candidates. There is not a 10 million ad buy from Ron Paul.

brandon
12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
That's not what the article says anewvoice

12-27-2011, 01:41 PM
It's probably a mistake. I don't think the campaign even has $10 million right now.

TheeJoeGlass
12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
It's probably a mistake. I don't think the campaign even has $10 million right now.

It would make sense to spend every penny in the last week because this is it for the campaign in my opinion.

1stAmendguy
12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I hope Iowa doesn't become a Pyrrhic victory if we win.

RonPaul101.com
12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Although ads are important, I think at this stage in the game for Iowa, the groundtroops are the key now.

12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
It would make sense to spend every penny in the last week because this is it for the campaign in my opinion.

Hardly. IA and NH are a tiny fraction of the delegates needed to win. This is going to be a long ugly campaign.

specsaregood
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM

Thats what his supporters have been saying all along and were mad he didnt last time.

anewvoice
12-27-2011, 01:50 PM
That's not what the article says anewvoice

I know, but it also says "another 10 million" which has not previously been spent. I don't have the campaign numbers but I doubt highly they have 10 million cash on hand.

specsaregood
12-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Hardly. IA and NH are a tiny fraction of the delegates needed to win. This is going to be a long ugly campaign.

Fact is, unless the campaign meets or beats expectations in IA and/or NH, its all over.

JamesButabi
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Fact is, unless the campaign meets or beats expectations in IA and/or NH, its all over.

Money will be replenished. Go big or go home.

12-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Thats what his supporters have been saying all along and were mad he didnt last time.

You're as bad as MSM. IA and NH are 40 delegate out of 2,200. It's nowhere near over after those 2. Brace yourself for a long campaign.

craezie
12-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Crazy. I didn't even realize he had that kind of money. I realize that if he doesn't win or 2nd in those 2 states, it is a steep battle. But I fear that when he DOES, he won't have the cash to keep going into the more important (in terms of delegates) states. We all know the media isn't going to give us any free (positive) publicity.

brandon
12-27-2011, 01:56 PM
What is the mod note supposed to mean?

tremendoustie
I hope Iowa doesn't become a Pyrrhic victory if we win.

It won't. It's worth it. If we can win by a significant margin, it will shock everyone and send a HUGE message.

tremendoustie
Crazy. I didn't even realize he had that kind of money. I realize that if he doesn't win or 2nd in those 2 states, it is a steep battle. But I fear that when he DOES, he won't have the cash to keep going into the more important (in terms of delegates) states. We all know the media isn't going to give us any free (positive) publicity.

We can raise more money. We can't raise more Iowas and NHs.

And if we outperform in IA and NH, the money will roll in.

Agorism
12-27-2011, 01:58 PM
We need Erick Erickson’s Redstate Ron Paul rule back:

Candidates who finish beneath Ron Paul in Iowa are unviable candidates on the national stage.

The Magic Hoof
12-27-2011, 02:04 PM
So can anyone confirm the $10m deal? That it's Paul alone and not combined?

specsaregood
12-27-2011, 02:12 PM
You're as bad as MSM. IA and NH are 40 delegate out of 2,200. It's nowhere near over after those 2. Brace yourself for a long campaign.

I'm guessing you weren't around. The supporters want him to go all in and aren't giving him the money for anything except to go big.

Paulitics 2011
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Dr. Paul, if we win Iowa, every cent of that will be raised back. There's always more money - there's not more Iowa caucuses or NH Primaries.

Go big or go home indeed.

eok321
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I doubt the campaign has 10 million on hand but if its true... maybe they have an infomercial lined up for Iowa and NH to counteract the media spin. If so i think we win Iowa and strongly challenge for NH.

12-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm guessing you weren't around. The supporters want him to go all in and aren't giving him the money for anything except to go big.

Yes, I voted for Ron in 08

It's proportional primaries now until April. It's different ballgame than 07. You can't blow the whole load early and have nothing in the tank for later.

winston_blade
12-27-2011, 02:23 PM
I realize that primary and caucus states are proportional delegates, but I went back and found that only 2 democratic nominees and zero republican nominees have gone on to get the nomination since 1970 without either winning Iowa or New Hampshire.

Here is the key: People will not support a loser. With the MSM attacking Paul, unless he can get a 1st in IA and a 2nd in NH, they will paint him as a loser and thus no one will vote for him and money will dry up. This is why IA and NH are so important and this is what history has shown us time and time again.

Freeberty
12-27-2011, 03:00 PM
We need Erick Erickson’s Redstate Ron Paul rule back:

Candidates who finish beneath Ron Paul in Iowa are unviable candidates on the national stage.

Haha. I like how you think:)

Freeberty
12-27-2011, 03:03 PM
The campaign has been managed extremely well this year. I doubt the 10 mil. figure is accurate, but we have no reason to doubt that the people in charge know what they are doing. If we win in Iowa and New Hampshire we could wrap this thing up early, but easier said than done.

FreeTraveler
12-27-2011, 03:05 PM
We can raise more money. We can't raise more Iowas and NHs.

And if we outperform in IA and NH, the money will roll in.

Dr. Paul, if we win Iowa, every cent of that will be raised back. There's always more money - there's not more Iowa caucuses or NH Primaries.

Go big or go home indeed.
I'd like to third or fourth or fifth or whatever that message. A 1/2 punch in IA/NH would represent a tipping point. People who like Paul but believed "he can't win" would flood onto the playing field.

The most important thing is making sure every caucus has an impassioned speaker with the best possible speech. That won one caucus in 08 and should be the model for 12.

abstrusezincate
12-27-2011, 03:14 PM
I think I also disagree with the moderator's interpretation. The article may certainly be a misprint, but I read that pretty clearly as the $10 million is being spent by Paul in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Assuming the campaign isn't making that massive of an ad buy, perhaps what the $10 million refers to is the total spent by the Paul campaign over the duration of this primary effort. I don't know, but that might seem more reasonable.

brushfire
12-27-2011, 03:16 PM
I believe that a win in IA will shatter most of what the media driven perception has been. A new generation of ads can be drawn from all the media BS before and after IA. If anything, just to break through the stigma, and to show the voters who the false prophets are. If we dont place first in IA, and at least 2nd in NH, I think this thing will get very ugly. Based on the aggressive smear tactics we're seeing today, I'd have to say that the media agrees with me.

Karsten
12-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I bet it's a typo for 1 million.

Michigan11
12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Hell yeah spend it all right now! Now is the time, after Iowa the money rolls in and the poll numbers go up.