PDA

View Full Version : WaPo: Ron Paul’s House record marked by bold strokes, and futility

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 06:34 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2011/12/15/Web-Resampled/2011-12-15/2011-12-10T175731Z_01_JTH09_RTRIDSP_3_USA-CAMPAIGN--606x404.jpg
By David A. Fahrenthold, Published: December 26

The passage of H.R. 2121, in fall 2009, unfolded without drama. It allowed for the sale of a customhouse in Galveston, Tex. The House debate took two minutes, and the vote took eight seconds. The ayes had it.

But something historic was happening. On his 482nd try, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.) had authored a bill that would become law.

Paul has become a surprising force in the Republican presidential race, promising to use “the bully pulpit of the presidency” to demand deep cutbacks across government. But Paul has had only limited success using his current pulpit — a seat in Congress — to rally lawmakers behind his ideas.

Of the 620 measures that Paul has sponsored, just four have made it to a vote on the House floor. Only that one has been signed into law.

House colleagues say the genial Paul has often shown little interest in the laborious one-on-one lobbying required to build a coalition behind his ideas. This year, for instance, Paul has sponsored 47 bills, including measures to withdraw from the United Nations, repeal the federal law banning guns in school zones and let private groups coin their own money.

None has moved, and 32 have failed to attract a single co-sponsor.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ron-pauls-house-record-stands-out-for-its-futility-and-tenacity/2011/12/23/gIQA5ioVJP_story.html

IDefendThePlatform
12-27-2011, 06:37 AM
I'd break the the link on that one. Decent picture though.

milo10
12-27-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure you can have it both ways. If people want real change and a non-establishment candidate, then you probably don't want a candidate with a background in cutting deals and playing the Washington game.

God, that one was easy. :)

mavtek
12-27-2011, 06:41 AM
The article didn't bother me, but the comments did, bleh...

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 06:45 AM
The article didn't bother me, but the comments did, bleh...

Right--facts are facts

randomname
12-27-2011, 06:53 AM
I wonder if WaPo designs these backhanded hit pieces to hurt Paul on purpose, or whether it's just the bias of the writers unintentionally shining through

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Ron Paul's Long Record of Glorious Failures in Congress

http://news.yahoo.com/ron-pauls-long-record-glorious-failures-congress-102926045.html

CaptUSA
12-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Make no mistake. This is the one issue that poses a problem for us. It's a matter of achievements. While Dr. Paul can use the fact that he has not been responsible for the mess in Washington as a badge of honor, it also presents a problem. Of course, this was overlooked in the case of the current occupant of the White House, but it will not be overlooked again. It will be raised that Paul has no executive experience and very little success in governance.

It will be up to us to remind them. Dr. Paul's successes have been achieved outside of politics. We are his success. He has mobilized a huge following that agrees that Washington is broken and it is not a partisan issue. It's a matter of lack of adherence to the constitution. The only reason Paul has failed, is because Washington no longer considers the constitution to be a restriction on government.

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 06:56 AM
I know several people here bitched about Rand's willingness and ability to form coalitions in order to get things done.

Carole
12-27-2011, 06:58 AM
I wonder if WaPo designs these backhanded hit pieces to hurt Paul on purpose, or whether it's just the bias of the writers unintentionally shining through

Everything is connected.

unknown
12-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Sigh. More garbage. Nothing could be more of a kick in their A$$ES than a Ron Paul victory.

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Sigh. More garbage. Nothing could be more of a kick in their A$$ES than a Ron Paul victory.

Anyone here live in Ron Paul's Cong' District who could chime in on what his constituents thing of this?

unknown
12-27-2011, 07:08 AM
So most of his bills didnt pass and our country is on the brink of a meltdown. I see a direct correlation.

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 07:33 AM
So most of his bills didnt pass and our country is on the brink of a meltdown. I see a direct correlation.

Were most of his bills related to the economic meltdown?

RDM
12-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Most of his bills were for the prevention of. Just shows how broken Washington is.

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Most of his bills were for the prevention of. Just shows how broken Washington is.

Wonder if we can compile a list?

centure7
12-27-2011, 07:47 AM
"Paul has often shown little interest in the laborious one-on-one lobbying required to build a coalition behind his ideas."

Yep, thats how the system works. One one lobbying. Talk about an epic failure!

unknown
12-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Who cares.

As though a bill passing is a good thing. Some good those bills did us, the country is on the verge of collapse.

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Who cares.

As though a bill passing is a good thing. Some good those bills did us, the country is on the verge of collapse.

Many undecided Dems and Independent voters care.

Ron Paul will go no where in the 2012 election if the only people who care are on this forum

unknown
12-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I'd break the the link on that one. Decent picture though.

And this should be moved to media spin.

unknown
12-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Many undecided Dems and Independent voters care.

Ron Paul will go no where in the 2012 election if the only people who care are on this forum

Well then they must realize (unless they're mentally challenged) that the government's policies of the past hundred years are utter failures.

bobbyw24
12-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Well then they must realize (unless they're mentally challenged) that the government's policies of the past hundred years are utter failures.

I wouldn't be so sure

specsaregood
12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
"Paul has often shown little interest in the laborious one-on-one lobbying required to build a coalition behind his ideas."
Yep, thats how the system works. One one lobbying. Talk about an epic failure!

Translation: Dr. Paul doesn't go out and get smashed with his colleagues; doesn't snort blow off the bodies of the GOP's hookers and isn't willing to pay for votes.

gmc1988
12-27-2011, 08:43 AM
My response is a simple one. Washington has been so ineffective for so many years now, and never seems able to solve any of our problems. Ron Paul is one of the few members of Congress who has introduced sensible legislation over the years, and he has been ignored by a bunch of people who are accomplishing nothing in terms of helping the people. Ron also predicted the economic crisis, as well as our current foreign policy problems, while most of the rest of Congress was introducing ineffective legislation after ineffective legislation. Ron Paul has been both right and consistent, why his ideas have not gotten very far in Washington. Don't know if people would buy into that argument, but I like it.

CTRattlesnake
12-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Just goes to show you how troubled this country really is.

The fact that paul is the only guy on certain, crucial, pieces of legislation is beyond disturbing.