PDA

View Full Version : Jack Hunter: Why the establishment really fears Ron Paul

sailingaway
12-27-2011, 12:09 AM
As Ron Paul has risen in the polls, so has the frequency of attacks against him. “Any stick will do to beat a dog” goes the old saying, and the whacks against Paul range from reasonable to ridiculous. Expect the attacks to continue. Expect them to get more ridiculous.

And expect the worst attacks to come from Republicans.

Let’s cut the crap. The GOP establishment’s main beef with Ron Paul is his foreign policy. This ideological chasm is the subtext to most attacks on Paul from the right. To their credit, some of Paul’s critics are man (or woman) enough to confront the congressman on this subject directly. Paul welcomes these challenges and wants his fellow Republicans to debate what a true conservative foreign policy should look like. But the members of the Republican establishment do not want any such discussion. In fact, they fear it.

Most of the 2012 Republican presidential contenders subscribe primarily to a neoconservative foreign policy — the reflexively pro-war, world-police dogma that has been the dominant view in the Republican Party for at least a decade. When Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain was asked by David Gregory on “Meet the Press” in October, “Would you describe yourself as a neoconservative then?” Cain replied: “I’m not sure what you mean by neoconservative … I’m not familiar with the neoconservative movement.” Cain was being honest — he simply knew how most Republicans viewed foreign policy and generally agreed with them. What was this “neoconservatism” Gregory spoke of? Said Cain: “I’m a conservative, yes. Neoconservative — labels sometimes put you in a box.”
“Neoconservative” certainly is a label that puts you in a box. The prefix alone invites curiosity (which is why neoconservatives don’t like it) and the term itself suggests that it represents something different from plain old conservatism (which is why neoconservatives really don’t like it). Neoconservative Max Boot outlined the ideology in 2002: “Neoconservatives believe in using American might to promote American ideals abroad … [The] agenda is known as ‘neoconservatism,’ though a more accurate term might be ‘hard Wilsonianism’ …” Of President Bush’s “hard Wilsonianism,” columnist George Will and National Review founder William F. Buckley said the following during an exchange in 2005:
WILL: Today, we have a very different kind of foreign policy. It’s called Wilsonian. And the premise of the Bush doctrine is that America must spread democracy, because our national security depends upon it. And America can spread democracy. It knows how. It can engage in national building. This is conservative or not?
BUCKLEY: It’s not at all conservative. It’s anything but conservative

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/27/why-the-establishment-really-fears-ron-paul/#ixzz1hiGeQ0I7

//

Sola_Fide
12-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Great!

gb13
12-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Hunter is awesome.

nbruno322
12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/fmp85g.jpg

They keep slinging mud...but it just seems to be sticking to them!

sailingaway
12-27-2011, 10:27 AM

I like!

Koz
12-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Great work Jack.

robertwerden
12-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Teflon Ron

Peace&Freedom
12-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Hunter threw a touchdown pass here by pinpointing that the neocons do not want 'what the true US foreign policy should be' to be debated, just assumed. Notice most responses to criticism of it are to immediately claim it to be 'left wing' or 'isolationist,' or 'oh, you want to leave dictators in power/terrorists unanswered/Israel or US defenseless/America weak' etc. Put everybody on the defensive, so nobody can address the merits.

Paul has fought back against this trend, with some success (though I think he would have been more successful had he emphasized how false flags and black ops contribute to the blowback). The effect of his not backing down, has caused the pro-war politicians and pundits to have to defend the policy more openly. In the case of the other candidates, it's had the effect of throwing them off-message, by making them talk about it more than was helpful to their campaigns. Paul has thus used non-interventionism as a lightning rod or touchstone to draw out the bankrupt character of his opposition.

sailingaway
12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Teflon Ron

that term has negative connotations of someone 'getting away with something' in my circles, not of deflecting out of line accusations.

idiom
12-27-2011, 11:56 AM

....oh ...er....mud? ...yes oh I see now. Definitely nothing else popped into my head.

(Currently literally slumming it in Kolkata)